The Fourth RedCafe Sheep Draft

Aye, I think that's a fair compromise really.

Its also practical. For me, I don't want to spend time trying to decipher the precise peak of a sheep when I could be spending that time watching matches from the legendary players that I haven't seen.

That's a fair point that I hadn't really considered. I'll never agree with reducing poor old Sheasy to sheep status mind (when the feck did Beckenbauer ever nutmeg Figo?), but the general point makes sense.

Aye, I find it difficult to ignore the player in question too, and I don't think I'll bother trying to here, beyond not viewing them as being at their absolute best, whatever level that might be.
I don't think that different quality sheep in different round argument is correct though. An effort was rightly taken in rounds where quality is high to give you a crap player rather than a player of average quality of that round. In Ballon D'or round for example Cattermole and Darmian were given as sheep. In general that argument was only followed in rounds where actual crap players were available. Overall sheep = crap player was followed throughout the draft despite of the criteria of the round.

I don't think that different quality sheep in different round argument is correct though. An effort was rightly taken in rounds where quality is high to give you a crap player rather than a player of average quality of that round. In Ballon D'or round for example Cattermole and Darmian were given as sheep. In general that argument was only followed in rounds where actual crap players were available. Overall sheep = crap player was followed throughout the draft despite of the criteria of the round.
I didn't assign Cattermole or Darmian, thus the different logic.

Again, it makes feck all difference as neither is ever going to get on the pitch.

I sent in my formation pic and presentation.

For anyone having trouble with ShareMyTactics, this11.com is still a great backup option. It used to be the go-to site for so many on here; I wonder why most stopped using that.

I sent in my formation pic and presentation.

For anyone having trouble with ShareMyTactics, this11.com is still a great backup option. It used to be the go-to site for so many on here; I wonder why most stopped using that.
As I remember it was more to do with this11 changing and only offering a fairly insipid version for free (think it only had white fonts). That was a couple of years ago so it's probably widened its offering again now there is a broader range of sites with this type of service.

As I remember it was more to do with this11 changing and only offering a fairly insipid version for free (think it only had white fonts). That was a couple of years ago so it's probably widened its offering again now there is a broader range of sites with this type of service.

The icons for your players are also really small which makes it all look weird.

All of the team creators are limiting which is annoying since you don't need that much to do a good job. All I want is editable numbers on shirts, names obviously, a few colours of shirts and a paint like line creator to put on as many arrows of different lengths as I need. I really can't understand why it doesn't exist.

All of the team creators are limiting which is annoying since you don't need that much to do a good job. All I want is editable numbers on shirts, names obviously, a few colours of shirts and a paint like line creator to put on as many arrows of different lengths as I need. I really can't understand why it doesn't exist.

This11 allows you to do all that. Problem is that it has a small pitch.

Does it allow you to put numbers on the shirt? Also is this just in the Pro version?

Numbers too mate. Even allows you to put three arrows on players and stretch arrows. All on the free version.

Remember my R1 EE draft formation with Willimowski/Nejedley? used this 11.

Numbers too mate. Even allows you to put three arrows on players and stretch arrows. All on the free version.

Remember my R1 EE draft formation with Willimowski/Nejedley? used this 11.

I've just checked and that's http://lineupbuilder.com/new.php rather than This11. It looks great. Does everything it needs to. I strongly suggest everyone uses from now on. Great find!

Vote 4 to eliminate, 1-4 with 1 being worst - Deadline 10 PM GMT
Send your worst 4 teams (1-4, 1 being worst team etc) to us and we'll total it up. Deadline 10 PM GMT.

2 formations missing. @Chesterlestreet @Joga Bonito

Edit: Ill take a screener of Jogas.

1566687_Football_Manager_Team.jpg
tSXHiKk.png

Brief tactical explanation:

Formation:
4-3-3 (false 9)
Style: direct, controlling the tempo and most of the possession.

Some player roles:
Eusebio -
as a false 9 - dropping deeper making space for Best and Ronaldinho to come inside, drag opposition CB's out of position, while of course scoring goals himself.
Godin - rugged stopper
Vasovic - complete defender / sweeper
Vidal - making late runs in the box or shooting from distance(hence the arrow in attack a bit more central).
Tigana and Vidal - protecting the flanks when Reuter/Krol overlap.
Xavi - central position - playmaker, heartbeat of the team, control the tempo, look for openings get the ball to the attacking trio.

Key points:
- Excellent defensive line composed of two overlapping full backs (Reuter/Krol) with abundance of pace.
- Complimentary (Vasovic/Godin) pair
- Midfield full of energy(Tigana/Vidal), playmaking ability (Xavi), eye for a goal (Vidal). Excellent passers and capable of providing defensive cover and also participating in the build up.
- One of the best finishers in the game (Eusebio), flanked by trickery and pace (Ronaldinho/Best).
1566666_Mohammedan_Sporting_Club.jpg
1566688_River_Plate.jpg
b9VnMTC.jpg

uvTphfs.png

This is what we got so far. Sort of explains most of the stuff but was meant as a start and nothing else;

Formation: 3-2-2-3
A classic formation. It was the foundation for some of the greatest and most overwhelming offenses in football with its dynamic roles for the LAM and RAM in particular. Often two absolute greats complementing each other like Liedholm and Schiaffino for Milan.

We've chosen Liedholm and Sivori for these roles as they play the game at the same style and pace. With Kopa having a much more modern style with explosive bursts, great dribbling and he was as well a fantastic winger in the formation as he finished top 3 in Ballon d'Or three years in a row playing there for Madrid.

At his peak Liedholm 1950-51~ he was arguably the player of the year after Milan won the Latin Cup(The winners from Spain/France/Italy/Portugal faced off in a mini-European cup) after the most dominant display ever in the Latin Cup with a decisive 4-1 win against the Spanish champions followed by a 5-0 trashing of the French. Even more impressive considering prior to the arrival of their Swedish trio, Milan had not been Italian champions since long before the Serie A era but finished second in Liedholm's first season and in 1950-51 went one better, a total of 107 league goals helping the club finish one point clear of city rivals Inter. The beginning of the great Rossonero era started in that far away 10th of June 1951

It is claimed that two years went by before Liedholm misplaced a single pass while playing for Milan at the San Siro. Whether or not that is true, his passing ability over long or short distances was second to none at the time and from the deeper position of inside forward he was able to control games with ease. He was also exceptionally fit, one of the first players to recognised the importance of physical conditioning for a long career. Although he was primarily a goal creator, usually for Nordahl, Liedholm also possessed a powerful left-footed shot which brought him 18 league goals in his first season with Milan and 13 in the following year.

Players like Müller mastered the manipulation of space in their advantage - while Liedholm did the absolute polar opposite and ignored it which lead to his leisure style. As long as he'd get a pass to his feet it didn't matter how close the defender was as a turn left and a dribble later and he suddenly had all the time and space to make an incisive pass behind his marker to take him out of the game.

He'd strike fear in his opponents as he strut towards them while they had the time to have second, and third thoughts about how to react after he got past them.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

But surely he'd lose his cool and composure sometimes?
giphy.gif

Pulling a Figueroa then dribbling the your goalkeeper STOP IT NILS?!?

Gunnar Nordahl
The Capo di tutti Capocannonieri with his yaw dropping five time record as the top goalscorer in Serie A. That is as much as van Basten, Shevchenko and Inzaghi all put together and he achieved it all in 6 monstrous years.

Yet he still doesn't feature much in these drafts and I believe a reason why is that he was the personification of a 3-2-2-3 striker. With so much dribbling and creativity around him the striker in these formations often had to play against a packed defense inside the box.

They were on the pitch to score and that's exactly what he did. Purely in terms of his ability inside the box he is one of the very finest strikers of all time.

He'd dominate in the air and bully his defenders with his physique like Vieri. But at the same time had that ferocious Inzaghi/RVN instinct of always knowing how the ball would bounce and how to find space where there was none. Coupled with the ability to turn any half chances to goals with his accurate finishing he made a mark in history.

I am not sure anybody scored as many "ugly" goals as him, so without further ado! Gunnar Nordahl with ugly goals.

Omar Sivori
I think Sivori and Liedholm would be a spectacular duo in this formation. Both of them shone brightest when they were faced with a wall of defenders/cones. They would play some samba stuff together.

Like Iniesta/Busquets/Xavi their strength comes from what they have in common which is their compurer, ability to almost never lose the ball and challenging the most packed defenses with their dribbling.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Vierchowod

The 84-85 stopper version of him is an interesting but great choice for a RCB position after the World Cup performances where Kicker rated him the third best full back of the tournament.

Ceulemans would attest to that as well "Ceulemans played as quasi left-winger and Vierchowod followed him everywhere. Ceulemans tested what he would do if he took a central midfield position but Vierchowod was tied to him. "It was one of my worst matches", said Ceulemans.

Nicknamed lo Zar, Vierchowod was a tenacious and physical centre-back, who possessed great pace; he was considered one of the toughest Serie A defenders of the 1980s and the 1990s, due to his immense strength, tight marking of opponents, and hard tackling style of play. His speed, anticipation, and ability to read the game enabled him to break down opposing plays, win back possession, and intercept loose balls; these attributes also allowed him to excel in the zonal marking defensive system during his later career. Despite his aggressive playing style, he was also regarded as a fair player both on and off the pitch.

In an interview with Argentine magazine El Gráfico, Argentine footballer Diego Maradona, widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, dubbed Vierchowod his toughest opponent, stating that "[Vierchowod] was an animal, he had muscles to the eyelashes. It was easy to pass by him, but then when I raised my head, he was in front of me again. I would have to pass him two or three more times and then I would pass the ball because I couldn't stand him anymore". Throughout his career, Maradona gave Vierchowod the nickname Hulk.
Gary Lineker also revealed in an interview with FourFourTwo that Vierchowod was "the hardest defender he ever faced" adding "he was absolutely brutal and lightning quick. He gave me one or two digs."

Another great yet rarely brought up aspect of his game was his excellent ability to break through with a surge forward with the ball at his feet, Breitner like, and offer a threat going forward.
1566696_Manchester_United.jpg

My team is based on the current United side but a mirror image. Carlos playing the Valencia role. Lahm playing the Blind role etc.

The strongest sections of my team would be Robben overlapping Iniesta in a super hyped up version of Mata and Valencia on our current side.

Rio and Ramos are as quick a pair of CBs as you will find much like Smalling and Bailly, however I've now added a degree of playmaking from the back from either cb.

Redondo is Carrick on steroids. Masopust was a player I didn't know much about but everything I read about him makes him sound like the perfect player to take on the harrying role of Herrera. And I've got peak Yaya performing the Pogba role and adding goals from midfield.

Robben will provide the same pace and dribling that we saw from Martial last year and Suarez is one of the few strikers I felt would be able to provide the same X-factor as Ibra.

Also Yashin for DDG is perfect.

Mostly modern day side that will all go down as greats of their era combined with some classic players whose quality can't be denied.
IMG_2050.png
bepo.jpg
Formation
abMWmIlafs.png

Presentation

Inspiration: Conte's Chelsea
Attacking approach: possession-based with fluidity and a quick tempo
Defensive approach: Try to win the ball quickly by pressing up, but fall back when the opponent maintains possession
Defensive line: medium

Summary
The idea behind the team is to set up a solid foundation that can promote fluidity and creativity going forward. With a solid, aggressive yet disciplined back 3 and energetic yet skilled wing backs and midfielders, the front 3 along with the rest of the team will make it difficult for the opposition to dispossess us and stifle our attacks. This setup allows for diamond patterns all across the pitch, allowing the ball holder at least 1 guaranteed option. On top of that, the team contains technically apt footballers, all of whom can retain possession under pressure and pass the ball out from the back.

Player Descriptions
Starting from the keeper, Córdoba can pass his way out of trouble and launch quick counters with his accurate long passes. McGrath is one of the best defenders of his time, and his physical + footballing traits will be crucial for us both on and off the ball. Pepe will look to utilise his tight, aggressive marking as well as his disciplined positioning to keep the left side solid alongside the impervious Lizarazu. Blankenburg will be playing in his natural libero role; the man who was under Beckenbauer's shadow will be able to fully express himself and allow us to push higher up the pitch with his ball carrying and passing.

With such a solid foundation, players like Donadoni, van Hanegem, and Luisito Suárez will all less of a defensive burden on them. All 3 players are indeed hardworking and tactically astute, but they will not need to sacrifice their attacking qualities in order to support the defence. Donadoni will be free to rampage the right wing and stretch the field, providing ample supply for the forwards. Suárez and van Hanegem both will play their natural box-to-box roles with their high energy levels. Both have the skill, vision, and passing accuracy to unlock defences whilst possessing the energy levels to close the gaps and win the ball.

The front 3 will, therefore, have the freedom to take up whatever position they want and wreak havoc on the opposition back line. All 3 were comfortable out wide and in the middle, and all 3 are capable of scoring goals regularly, particularly Simonsen and van Himst. Keizer, with his mazy dribbling and all-rounded attacking threat, will attract much of the attention, and that's where Simonsen and van Himst will capitalise on the spaces created by Keizer. There are no clearly defined roles for them; all 3 will adapt themselves to the situation that they're in, and their complete skill set will allow them to prosper. Together, the 3 have more than 570 goals between them.

Spotlight on Paul van Himst
  • Nickname: Pelé Blanc
  • Role(s): second striker (primary), centre forward (secondary)

Most people don't seem to remember Paul van Himst, but what most people don't realise was that he was voted as Belgium's player of the century ahead of better-known players like Ceulemans and Scifo. In his time, he was a complete forward, and like Pelé, he combined the creativity of a trequartista with the goalscoring instinct of a striker. He made his Anderlecht debut at the age of 16 and Belgium debut at the age of 17 (also voted Belgian Player of the Year at that age). In 1962, he won the first of many trophies, and even in Europe, he was making an impact against the best of teams, including scoring a goal against Real Madrid at the age of 19. Lots of big European clubs took a strong interest in him, but he rejected their advances, willing to remain loyal to Anderlecht and remain in Belgium. He had lots of ups, but he also suffered a couple of downs with a heartbreaking final loss to Arsenal in the 1970 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup (predecessor to UEFA Cup) and getting knocked out of the 1970 World Cup in the group stage. He was made the scapegoat after Belgium got knocked out too early, but he bounced back with a respectable 3rd place finish in Euro 1972, losing to the eventual champions West Germany 2-1.

Club goalscoring record: 235 goals in 478 appearances
National goalscoring record: 30 goals in 81 appearances (Belgian top scorer)

Playing Style

Traits: close ball control; mazy dribbling; lots of vertical movement; accurate, curled finishes; accurate passes; link-up plays

Finishing:
Ie4KcTJGNG3zW.gif

PRPx6YZEKXTfW.gif

Team Honours

Belgium Championship: 8 times
Belgian Cup: 4 times
Belgian League Cup: 2 times
Euro 1972: 3rd place

Personal Honours
Top scorer: 3 times
European Cup 1967 top scorer
Belgian Golden Boot (Player of the Season): 4 times
Belgium's Golden Player of the last 50 years (UEFA)
IFFHS Best Belgian player of the 20th century
1971 Belgian Man of the Year

Last edited:
1566634_Valencia_CF_SAD.jpg
MOBY
1566631_Dream_Team.jpg
EAP
1566639_Dream_Team.jpg
HARMS
1566657_Brazil.jpg
CRAPPY / VIVA

Harms:

Chelsea-esque 3-4-3. Turan and Blomqvist have enough work rate, talent and expertise to flourish in these workhorse spots. Figo is in his Madrid incarnation, free to move around and create. The spine in absolutely ridiculous, imo.

EAP:

Deadly attack

- Gento/Amaro are brilliant tricky wingers. Pacy and tricky.
- Law's wet dream probably. Surrounded by playmakers, he's in football heaven.

Dynamic midfield
- Bobby C pulling strings from middle and Kubala supporting the attack.
- Both have free role and are comfortable to drift wide too. Fluid.
- Junior to provide the flair from deep and Dinho doing the dirty work.

Strong Defence
- 2 stellar stoppers on either side buffering Kastenduech.
- Compact defence, with Junior helping out.

CRAPPY/VIVA:

The front 6 will simply be impossible to stop from scoring (multiple times) in any match up. Dargan will run his opposing full back ragged, Romario is impossible to contain for the best of center backs and Stefano is essentially two players in one. He will be part of the midfield battle and aid the attack. Behind him you have B2B in Seedorf and a playmaker CM in Bozsik. Defensively two full backs can be an issue but they are aided by having 2 great wingers in front of them.
43NzJtZ.png

gio.png

Formation: 3-4-1-2

Key points:
  • Rock solid defence founded on Italy's finest. Baresi and Nesta would be many people's choices for the central defensive spots in any all-time XI. Panucci is a natural right-centre-back, comfortable at full-back or in the middle, and is well placed to cover Cafu's forays down the right or Baresi's through the middle.
  • Gritty midfield core led by "the indestructible powerhouse at the core of Spurs' greatest ever side" Dave Mackay. On his death two years ago, Mackay was frequently cited as the Roy Keane of his day and his commitment (coming back from two broken legs), leadership and all-round ability make that a compelling comparison. He is partnered by a relative plodder in Duscher who qualifies from my many sheep because he can fulfill a fairly limited remit here (stick a few tackles in, break up play) that fits with the overall tactical plan.
  • Two flank dominators in Cafu and Branko Zebec make the back three formation come alive. IMO Cafu is the best man for that gig of all-time as he so enthrallingly showed in 2002. Zebec might be best described as an Eastern European Facchetti, shining best anywhere down that left flank, but in his absolute element here with attacking and defensive duties.
  • The attacking trio offers plenty of craft and goals. The creative inside-right behind two World Cup wins, Meazza is often regarded as the greatest Italian attacking player of all. Dalglish may, quite rightly, be seen as a cnut on here, but few dispute his status as both Liverpool and Scotland's greatest player. The triple European Cup winner formed a devastating partnership with Ian Rush and you can see that souped up a couple of notches here with the inclusion of one of the most ruthless goalscorers in Gabriel Batistuta.
  • Despite the chaotic nature of the draft, everyone here is playing their natural roles. And there's a clear gameplan based on a classic Italian defence, a hard-working gritty midfield, transitioning down the flanks into a complementary and potent attack.
1566754_Dream_Team.jpg
1566724_Nawbahor_Namangan.jpg

- The full backs Burgnich and Pavoni are defenders first and foremost, although Pavoni can be expected to join the attack more often with Burgnich generally holding the fort. Matthews ahead of him will have the beating of most left backs by himself.
- Scholes is in his later-career DLP incarnation, with Tardelli as his dynamic, ball-winning foil.
- Cruyff has complete freedom to roam and orchestrate when we're in possession.

KEY STRENGTHS: No sheep and no players out of position. A rugged, uncompromising defence, with top-notch distribution from deep through Hierro and Scholes. One of the very greatest players of all-time in Cruyff orchestrating the attack. Two prolific goalscorers in Cruyff and Spencer, and mulitiple routes to goal, with Cruyff's creativity through the centre and two wingers to service the aerial beast Spencer.
joga.jpg

Last edited:
Ill take a screener of Gio's and we'll see if that is the problem.

Need to see Chester's formation, his was the only one I struggled to recreate myself from the team sheet

For the defensive/central midfield we went with Cerezo for his performance in Brazil in '82 under similar circumstances next to Falcao. We wanted to have a great core of ball playing players behind Liedholm and Sivori who could both play a slower style of football with a classy build up while Guardiola in particular also adds some unique traits with his vision and passing range. With Kopa and Finney being more explosive and Nordahl making clever runs to offer a more direct threat as well.