The Fourth RedCafe Sheep Draft

Some cracking sides in there - @oneniltothearsenal is glorious. @Enigma_87 @Raees both looking spot on as well.
cheers mate. Your defence with wing backs is cracking. Would be a tough choice this.

Pretty much everyone. It was the main topic of discussion throughout my game. Can only really remember @DavidG buying it
From memory I think the problem was because you fielded them as side midfielders in a diamond(and of course their beef with each other).

Yeah, to be fair even that great pairing had their work cut out in a diamond in a back three.

I couldn't even remember how I set it up just remembered having them 2. It was more people saying their rivalry would negatively affect them which I couldn't get my head around. Anyways back to this draft anyone with any questions on my set up?

Should we judge teams like they're playing in a league competition or in a knockout competition?

A team with a solid defense and a poor attack might struggle in a league competition but can be very tough to knockout in a tournament competition. I think a few teams here are excelently built to defeat poor teams and control matches but might struggle against tougher competition.

The current Chelsea influence in here :lol:
That never ceases to amaze me. You can be running an all-time draft with all the best players ever, and most managers will focus on building the flavour of the season with better players.

Should we judge teams like they're playing in a league competition or in a knockout competition?

A team with a solid defense and a poor attack might struggle in a league competition but can be very tough to knockout in a tournament competition. I think a few teams here are excelently built to defeat poor teams and control matches but might struggle against tougher competition.
Just vote for the 4 you like the least.

That never ceases to amaze me. You can be running an all-time draft with all the best players ever, and most managers will focus on building the flavour of the season with better players.

It keeps the draft's from getting stale though. I always start drafts with something I'd like to try or emulate just so that I've got a different objective each time.

only 2 teams play like Chelsea, its really not that much....

It keeps the draft's from getting stale though. I always start drafts with something I'd like to try or emulate just so that I've got a different objective each time.
Of course, would be dull if there was one perfect formula, but it also means the voter mindset changes. ~5 years ago we still had lots of diamonds knocking about, now everyone seems to love a back three.

only 2 teams play like Chelsea, its really not that much....
Some may have missed the right players and moved elsewhere. But look at the number of back threes, 2-3 years ago (when LvG had his disastrous one) no one would get anywhere near one.

In fact, I was the only numpty that kept trying to build 3-2-5s and always losing to the boring "a is on b, c is on d... who is picking up g?!?!?!?".

Doesn't necessarily have to be the 4 'worst' side then in terms of quality?
Let's not even go into voting basis discussions. It's the 4 that should be knocked out, I'm pretty sure you can all work out what that means to you.

By the way, don't give @The Stain a hard time, I've been traveling all week for work and he has pretty much had to put up with everything since R10.

Red Tiger with the Keane and Vieira combo that I got slated for last time I played.

I just had a gander back at that thread:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/surveillance-draft-r1-p-nut-vs-tuppet.424279/

and in fairness it was the injury that really fecked you over, as it left you with an underwhelming back three, and Ginola/Basler expected to fulfil some sort of wing back brief. Some people didn't like Keane/Vieira in a diamond but it was fairly well-received in general.

Some may have missed the right players and moved elsewhere. But look at the number of back threes, 2-3 years ago (when LvG had his disastrous one) no one would get anywhere near one.

In fact, I was the only numpty that kept trying to build 3-2-5s and always losing to the boring "a is on b, c is on d... who is picking up g?!?!?!?".

Back 3 will always be a very good option for all-time draft with so many tier 1 sweepers/liberos, really cant see a strong connection with Chelsea TBH. Not to mention they are nowhere near the best teams in the world so if anything people would copy Bayern or Barca not Chelsea.

@Edgar Allan Pillow tell me about this Dinho fella. He doesn't appear to have an English Wiki entry, but his Portuguese wiki helpfully informs me that he's a steering wheel.

Dinho
Personal information
Full name
Edi Wilson José dos Santos
Birth date. October 15, 1966 (50 years)
Place of birth Neopolis ( SE ),
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
Brazil
Height 1,77 m
Nickname Cangaceiro dos Pampas
Professional information
Position
Steering wheel
Professional clubs
Years
Clubs Games (goals)
1985 - 1986
1995 - 1997
1998 - 2000
2002 Confidence
Sport
La Coruña
Sao Paulo
Saints
Guild
America Miner
New Hamburg 37 (1)
152 (5)
2 (1)
28 (3)
20 (0)
56 (8)
76 (3)
15 (1)
National team
1993 Brazil 1 (0)
Teams / teams you trained
2005 - 2006 Luverdense

Back 3 will always be a very good option for all-time draft with so many tier 1 sweepers/liberos, really cant see a strong connection with Chelsea TBH. Not to mention they are nowhere near the best teams in the world so if anything people would copy Bayern or Barca not Chelsea.
Let's leave Chelsea alone for a minute. Half the teams kept gunning for Beckenbauer and Sammer in a way they never have before (while pretty much overlooking back 4 liberos like Baresi, Bossis or Tresor).

Never before have I seen people persist on Berti Vogts like he were the second coming.

@Edgar Allan Pillow tell me about this Dinho fella. He doesn't appear to have an English Wiki entry, but his Portuguese wiki helpfully informs me that he's a steering wheel.

Dinho
Personal information
Full name
Edi Wilson José dos Santos
Birth date. October 15, 1966 (50 years)
Place of birth Neopolis ( SE ),
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
Brazil
Height 1,77 m
Nickname Cangaceiro dos Pampas
Professional information
Position
Steering wheel
Professional clubs
Years
Clubs Games (goals)
1985 - 1986
1995 - 1997
1998 - 2000
2002 Confidence
Sport
La Coruña
Sao Paulo
Saints
Guild
America Miner
New Hamburg 37 (1)
152 (5)
2 (1)
28 (3)
20 (0)
56 (8)
76 (3)
15 (1)
National team
1993 Brazil 1 (0)
Teams / teams you trained
2005 - 2006 Luverdense
Steering wheel = Volante. Midfielder, number 8.

My oh my, there are lots of great sides in there. Voting isn't going to be easy.

Raees, OneNil, and Joga have the most eye-catching teams teams for me so far (even though Joga hasn't tried anything different for the past few drafts :lol:).

Let's leave Chelsea alone for a minute. Half the teams kept gunning for Beckenbauer and Sammer in a way they never have before (while pretty much overlooking back 4 liberos like Baresi, Bossis or Tresor).

Never before have I seen people persist on Berti Vogts like he were the second coming.
I was surprised Tresor went on overlooked. He could play as a stopper as well. Very versatile defender who also was one of the outstanding libero's in the early 80's.

Funny situation on Vogts. Joga picked him on the cheap, then released him back only to create a bidding war for half of the managers.:lol:

:lol:

Volante in Brazil is a defensive midfielder. They're called steering wheel because they're the ones that start the attack (control the direction of the attack). In the rest of South America volante means any midfielder, not just the one sitting in front of defense

@Edgar Allan Pillow tell me about this Dinho fella. He doesn't appear to have an English Wiki entry, but his Portuguese wiki helpfully informs me that he's a steering wheel
Will do so when I reach work, but briefly he's a very physical defensive midfielder. Lots of tackles and sometimes termed rough player. More of a destroyer type. I'll post some links later.

In my case it wasn't the original intention but rather the best worst option that would work with this personnel.