The fanbase's role in the erosion of standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said on another thread. The fans response at Palace lifted the players.

There's a time and a place for criticism but there's also a place for getting behind the team.

Makes me sad really. A full season of mediocre football that was clear for all to see and because of one game where the players raised their performance we want the manager to stay?? By October we are going to be back to default only a new manager would not be able to properly implement his ideas and next season will be another write off.

Makes you sad? What? People basking in the glow of a cup final win against city makes you sad?

People supporting the manager who provided us with our best/most significant day since 2013 (arguably since 2008 really) makes you sad?

True fans would have boeed the players onto the pitch at Wembley, and left in disgust at 2-0 up.

There's a time and a place for criticism but there's also a place for getting behind the team.

Makes you sad? What? People basking in the glow of a cup final win against city makes you sad?

People supporting the manager who provided us with our best/most significant day since 2013 (arguably since 2008 really) makes you sad?

People don’t get it.

True fans would have boeed the players onto the pitch at Wembley, and left in disgust at 2-0 up.
I think what we’re seeing now is genuine fear from the more vocal forum members, it looks more and more likely he’ll stay and, if that happens, there’s also a chance we do well.

Did City fans high standards make them win 6 of the last 7 league titles?

Unbelievable Utd support at Wembley for the final. Best in the new Wembley.

Did City fans high standards make them win 6 of the last 7 league titles?

Yes, it was the high standards of the City fans that made a sheikh buy them and invest a huge amount of money in the squad and infrastructure (breaking every rule in the book along the way). The fan standards also attracted Pep to the project. None of that would have happened without incredibly high fan standards. If only we had higher standards ourselves, we too could be owned by a fossil fuel rich state without human rights, but alas, our standards are just too low. Maybe if we had booed the players a lot, we would be in a much better place.

Yes. Because when we look at the whole season we saw two truly remarkable great results. Derailing Liverpool's season and winning the FA cup final. That's a perfect opportunity to say thank you to EtH as he created great memories in his final match so that he could be remembered as someone who provided some great moments even if he couldn't lead them further.

But now we have to think about the next season and there are a lot of reasons to think that this season doesn't give you much hope despite winning the cup.

Yes. Because when we look at the whole season we saw two truly remarkable great results. Derailing Liverpool's season and winning the FA cup final. That's a perfect opportunity to say thank you to EtH as he created great memories in his final match so that he could be remembered as someone who provided some great moments even if he couldn't lead them further.

But now we have to think about the next season and there are a lot of reasons to think that this season doesn't give you much hope despite winning the cup.
Stick with Hannover96 mate

What? :lol:

I understand that the prevailing sentiment is that 'as long as the Glazers remain, nothing will improve', emphasizing their decade-long influence. However, another constant element over the past decade is the club's fanbase. How significant has their influence been in the evident decline of the club's standards?

Despite numerous questionable actions and decisions by the club over the past decade, many have been defended and rationalized by the supporters.

Furthermore, our supporters have often downplayed significant concerns to defend underperforming managers. For instance, when Mourinho criticised the club's legacy, a significant portion of our supporters either agreed or tried to rationalise his outburst. Now, even major losses and embarrassing defeats are brushed off as mere bumps in the road.

How big of a role has our collective fanbase played in the current state of the club?

I have followed teams that have the means to be the absolute best, and I’ve followed teams that have lesser resources, four four decades. There is no doubt in my mind that the bigger the ‘name’, the bigger the expectations, and the more critical attention, complains and expressed negativity. All the stooges you mentioned defending Mourinho, defended him from already existing attacks. Likewise with Solskjær, and even Ferguson before. United fans on the redcafe was Ten Hag out and Ferguson out after the first loss and the second loss, the defenders only appear as a result of the attackers. It’s like that in all supporter groups, but much more so when teams are ‘supposed’ to be better due to their ‘history’.

What my experience tells me, is that when a team is performing succesfully, it can be a positive driving force or have noeffect, while if a ‘big name’ team isunderperforming, it has a detrimental effect making it much harder to come back to perform at a normal level.

Sportspsychology shows that most top, top athletes are their own worst critics, and apart from their closest coaches, have surroundings that are almost exclusively supportive. That is difficult to achieve if you perform in a sport where every person in the world and her mother feel they have an expert opinion and own the performances to talk to as their own. United after Ferguson are in that situation, where journalists, pundits, the butcher’s wife’s stepdaughter and half the fanbase think they have the right and the knowledge to continually talk about ‘what’s wrong with Man Utd’, and tjere is no coincidence to me that United can go 11 years of underperforming instead of one or two. The same happened at Liverpool in the nineties, and Man United in the seventies. Neutrals judge the club based on superficial expectations based on the ‘name’, and fans dream and are disappointed according to pervious history and the expectations of the neutrals, the media. No wonder we are disappointed continually. But it is a detriment to the athletes, not a ‘standard raiser’. That’s a misconception of roles.

:lol:

How can you say that when our 2011 Prem title let us eclipse Liverpool...

I'm all for giving ETH another season but even I have to say that since 2008 is not arguably. Our 20th league title was more important as was our 19th and 18th league title, by huge margins. Beating city for the FA Cup while I did enjoy it is more in par with our Europa League victory. That's more of a argument. But that's all jmo.

It does set a bad precedent if INEOS determine their decision by fan sentiment but as an alternate view if United finished 10th next season and won the Europa league to qualify for Europe should Erik be retained as manager?

It opens a can of worms when alienating the context for much of the season in result of a singular game of football.

We don't do parades for FA Cups mate, we're not Arsenal.

Great result and feeling/buzz but if that's out most significant day in a decade than we really are a shell of our former selves.

The comeback against P$G in the CL was a bigger moment for us post-Fergie

Great result and feeling/buzz but if that's out most significant day in a decade than we really are a shell of our former selves.

That FA Cup win was 10x better than doing PSG in a fecking round of 16 jesus christ

That FA Cup win was 10x better than doing PSG in a fecking round of 16 jesus christ
Going from 2-0 down to a 3-1 comeback away against a star studded side with a lineup full of Carrington lads and Rashford scoring an injury time tie winner from the spot right passed Gianluigi Buffon made for an incredible night and a wonderful throwback to the days of yore so saying 10x is hilariously OTT.

Beating Citeh in the final after last season's defeat is sweet but I won't put that on a pedestal or make it out to be more than what it is, a great one-off.

Going from 2-0 down to a 3-1 comeback away against a star studded side with a lineup full of Carrington lads and Rashford scoring an injury time tie winner from the spot right passed Gianluigi Buffon made for an incredible night and a wonderful throwback to the days of yore so saying 10x is hilariously OTT.

Beating Citeh in the final after last season's defeat is sweet but I won't put that on a pedestal or make it out to be more than what it is, a great one-off.

Not even close. City in a cup final - all day every day.

Will be referenced in 50 years.

PSG will barely be in ten.

Makes me sad really. A full season of mediocre football that was clear for all to see and because of one game where the players raised their performance we want the manager to stay?? By October we are going to be back to default only a new manager would not be able to properly implement his ideas and next season will be another write off.
It's beyond infuriating. We already wrote off last season and could well write off next season as well by keeping him, all for the sake of one cup final. It's so short sighted.

It's beyond infuriating. We already wrote off last season and could well write off next season as well by keeping him, all for the sake of one cup final. It's so short sighted.

One cup final? We did City in the FA cup - there's only two things better!?

One cup final? We did City in the FA cup - there's only two things better!?
It was a good occasion but it's still only one game and doesn't undo all the things that have gone before it for the last 12 months. Enjoy the day and the trophy by all means but don't set the club up for another year of failure by making a decision based on emotion.

It was a good occasion but it's still only one game and doesn't undo all the things that have gone before it for the last 12 months. Enjoy the day and the trophy by all means but don't set the club up for another year of failure by making a decision based on emotion.

Will do mate, dont think I have the call on the manager though but not checked my emails since friday.

Unreal

Yes it does. LVG won the FA cup and got booted (granted the manner it was done was unsavoury) and Jose won the Europa league so lets not act as though we haven't won any trophies since 2013.

Before this match the general consensus was that football was dire and the majority of the fanbase was questioning the manager. One match later and you have massive swings in polls from 70% calling for his sacking to the opposite. I never said we should not be happy for our win. What I'm saying is, the massive swing in opinion after one game is ridiculous. It's ONE game.

Winning a fecking trophy will always top winning any other game in a random round of a competition, how can you possibly think otherwise??

This season was also a write off since october... Until it wasn't.

Yes it does. LVG won the FA cup and got booted (granted the manner it was done was unsavoury) and Jose won the Europa league so lets not act as though we haven't won any trophies since 2013.

Before this match the general consensus was that football was dire and the majority of the fanbase was questioning the manager. One match later and you have massive swings in polls from 70% calling for his sacking to the opposite. I never said we should not be happy for our win. What I'm saying is, the massive swing in opinion after one game is ridiculous. It's ONE game.

There’s a lot more participation in the polls now so the sampling is contaminated. It’s not necessarily the case that many people changed their stance.

Beating city in a cup final was a million times more significant than winning the Europa League for matchgoing fans. The Europa was great obviously but this had an extra layer of joy.

The swing in the polls say one thing but the fans within the ground have largely stayed behind him anyway. Even when 4-0 down at Palace.

It's been a poor season but football is always about those moments.

Real Madrid did a parade when they won the equivalent Spanish competition. Are they also small time.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...l-madrid-celebrate-copa-del-rey-victory-video

Also. The comeback against PSG meant nothing in the grand scheme of things given we were knocked out in the next round.

It’s these kind of over arching statements that make conversations difficult. I can be measured in my expectations and still hopeful for more. We aren’t at the stage of development where we can make demands beyond where our recent history puts us.

Statements like “ we are Manchester United” doesn’t entitle us to success. Hard work, a progressive plan and time alignment or luck will all have a part to play along the way. Cycles and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.