The big summer clear out & the funds raised.

Yep, but I hope people didn't expect this to be a quick fix
It won't be a quick fix due to mismangement. As I mentioned elsewhere it might just come down to letting a lot of contracts run out because the players will not ask for less wages elsewhere.

We literally don’t have many players you would categorise as deadwood anymore. Some of you want half our first team squad sold.
Lindelof and Malacia are deadwood.
Maguire, Casemiro, Antony, Eriksen and Sancho need to go asap.
AWB, Shaw, McTominay, Sancho and Rashford should be let go IF we get good money for them.

The rest we should keep and build on.

We're better than we were when Ole first came in. But still have about 10 players that I'd like us to move on if possible and replace. I expect it takes this summer, January and next summer to get to the point that we don't have any players that are deadwood or need to go asap.

Yep. We have a squad that performs like a bottom half side but on champions league level wages. Hardly a surprise nobody wants to buy our castoffs, or that they don't want to leave the cushy job they've got.

Yeah why would they want to take huge wage cut,unfortunately we are going to suffer for that

I guess there are no takers for Casemiro now that the Saudi's are balking. We are struck with him for the foreseeable future.

AWB rejected West Ham and dreams of Inter. So, I guess he is staying too.

Hopefully, someone will pay 5 quid for Victor or he could be used in a part exchange for Ferdi. Tough to see Maguire leaving with Moyes gone from West Ham.

Another 2 quid for Eriksen, hopefully.

I am surprised McTominay doesn't have a market at £25m-£30m.

BVB and Juventus won't pay the £40m we want but hopefully, PSG will stump up the cash. He would be a very useful player in a dominant team in a not so brutal league. Plus, has shown decent performances in the CL.

Can only see Antony leaving on a loan. Hope it happens.

AWB, Shaw, McTominay, Sancho and Rashford should be let go IF we get good money for them.

We're better than we were when Ole first came in. But still have about 10 players that I'd like us to move on if possible and replace. I expect it takes this summer, January and next summer to get to the point that we don't have any players that are deadwood or need to go asap.

The difficult money isn't so much getting money for them but someone taking on the mental wages

It won't be a quick fix due to mismangement. As I mentioned elsewhere it might just come down to letting a lot of contracts run out because the players will not ask for less wages elsewhere.
Perhaps, and i think we'll see a gradual overhalla of the playing staff over the next couple of windows.

We all agree the work of Woodward and Co. was bad

Perhaps, and i think we'll see a gradual overhalla of the playing staff over the next couple of windows.

It is going to take time and common sense regarding the contracts we hand out to new signings. Big wages should be for winners in their prime or coming into their prime, not people who have one good season so get over rewarded or past their prime players who have a famous name.

I guess there are no takers for Casemiro now that the Saudi's are balking. We are struck with him for the foreseeable future.

AWB rejected West Ham and dreams of Inter. So, I guess he is staying too.

Hopefully, someone will pay 5 quid for Victor or he could be used in a part exchange for Ferdi. Tough to see Maguire leaving with Moyes gone from West Ham.

Another 2 quid for Eriksen, hopefully.

I am surprised McTominay doesn't have a market at £25m-£30m.

BVB and Juventus won't pay the £40m we want but hopefully, PSG will stump up the cash. He would be a very useful player in a dominant team in a not so brutal league. Plus, has shown decent performances in the CL.

Can only see Antony leaving on a loan. Hope it happens.

Yeah we all feared that sales would hold us back

Bad is putting it mildly, we are now being forced to halt our recruitment drive due to their utter incompetence of many years

The wages some have been given are not excessive, yes it is a big rise from what they got before, but the size we are you would expect a big increase. What bugs me is the likes of Casemiro/Varane/Ronaldo getting the money they got. Sancho/Mount the money they are on. Rashford getting an extortionate contract, mainly to me because he is homegrown and they were terrified of letting him walk. We now have to hope he is motivated again.

It will take more than that. At least 1 additional year, probably 2.

The wages some have been given are not excessive, yes it is a big rise from what they got before, but the size we are you would expect a big increase. What bugs me is the likes of Casemiro/Varane/Ronaldo getting the money they got. Sancho/Mount the money they are on. Rashford getting an extortionate contract, mainly to me because he is homegrown and they were terrified of letting him walk. We now have to hope he is motivated again.

Wouldn't be remotely gutted to see Rashford go

Bad is putting it mildly, we are now being forced to halt our recruitment drive due to their utter incompetence of many years
Not allowed to use the words I wanted :p

It is what it is, we can't do much about it other than hope INEOS can get United on the right track. And I believe they will

Not allowed to use the words I wanted :p

It is what it is, we can't do much about it other than hope INEOS can get United on the right track. And I believe they will

So fecking frustrating not being able to buy a minimum of LCB, FB (can play both sides) and CDM. Obviously still need a second midfielder and know I'm in minority but Toney too

So fecking frustrating not being able to buy a minimum of LCB, FB (can play both sides) and CDM. Obviously still need a second midfielder and know I'm in minority but Toney too
I agree with you about Toney. We are putting pressure on young players to deliver. They will be hoping RVN can turn them into prolific goalscorers rather than get that experienced striker in the learn from on the field.

I agree with you about Toney. We are putting pressure on young players to deliver. They will be hoping RVN can turn them into prolific goalscorers rather than get that experienced striker in the learn from on the field.

Yeah precisely, unfortunately the trouble is it's probably fourth on the priority list

What would be your priority list out of interest?
Definitely need a DM, that midfield was porous as hell. I would have said CB if we can get sell one of Maguire or Lindelof. If not then it isn't a priority due to funds. A LB rather than RB as cannot trust Shaw to stay fit, Malacia is having a right old time with his injury. Which then means our only FB good at going forward lands on the left again. I presumed we would go for a more experienced striker/forward for Hojlund to learn from, instead we bought another young one and instead put the experienced striker into the coaching staff.

Definitely need a DM, that midfield was porous as hell. I would have said CB if we can get sell one of Maguire or Lindelof. If not then it isn't a priority due to funds. A LB rather than RB as cannot trust Shaw to stay fit, Malacia is having a right old time with his injury. Which then means our only FB good at going forward lands on the left again. I presumed we would go for a more experienced striker/forward for Hojlund to learn from, instead we bought another young one and instead put the experienced striker into the coaching staff.
At this moment I just want to get Ugarte and de ligt completed. Anything after that is a bonus.

The only good thing about our issues with deadwood players and high wages is that we shouldn’t get into this trouble again once we’ve been able to clear them all out. It’ll take a couple of years to do it but then we’ll be in a great position with a younger squad on reasonable wages. If the players we get in now are young, which it seems we are aiming for, then we can expect to be challenging for the main trophies in 2-3yrs time I think.

I hate waiting as much as the next fan but we’ve all seen the major mismanagement the club has been under for the last 10yrs or so and the state of our squad. As long as I can see us making the right steps to resolve this I’ll be happy.

So here goes a loan for Hugill - hopefully loan proceeds and wage savings

Right now I'm not sure where the next actual sale is coming from in this window, loan deals aren't helping to raise badly needed funds

Right now I'm not sure where the next actual sale is coming from in this window, loan deals aren't helping to raise badly needed funds

We never feel close to any sale, ever, and even when they do happen they're awful sales like VdB for an absolute pittance.

Like Arsenal just casually getting 35m for Smith Rowe, but you know darn well we'd get 12m for him.

We never feel close to any sale, ever, and even when they do happen they're awful sales like VdB for an absolute pittance.

Like Arsenal just casually getting 35m for Smith Rowe, but you know darn well we'd get 12m for him.

That VdB figure is a joke, when was the last time you saw a transfer fee less than the addons. If ever a deal summed up the utter mess INEOS have been left with then this is it

That VdB figure is a joke, when was the last time you saw a transfer fee less than the addons. If ever a deal summed up the utter mess INEOS have been left with then this is it
What did you expect to get fro VdB? He has been absolutely awful, on loan, back with us, I can only assume the injury he had has meant he can't run.. I could have seen us getting 5m at best as he has shown absolutely nothing as a footballer

Man I hope Maguire and Mctominay don't survive yet another summer

edit - I'm not wishing death on them, to be clear

Sales will happen, the market always picks up in August/ closer to the end of the window. We've done very well so far and it's slowed down, no time to panic I'm actually broadly relaxed on selling a few more.

What did you expect to get fro VdB? He has been absolutely awful, on loan, back with us, I can only assume the injury he had has meant he can't run.. I could have seen us getting 5m at best as he has shown absolutely nothing as a footballer

I wish he hadn't been bought same with Antony and should have waited for Mount on a free

Sales will happen, the market always picks up in August/ closer to the end of the window. We've done very well so far and it's slowed down, no time to panic I'm actually broadly relaxed on selling a few more.

Not relaxed in the slightest because how do you get this lot to take a wage cut, let's face it no one else will pay them the same. We wouldn't have to wait until end if so much money hadn't been wasted.

Latest public comments about Harry and Mct are main reason why we can't sell players. When you say to player that he has future in club (Maguire interview) then how can you expect from him to drop from Man Utd to West Ham or Fulham?
Same is with McTominay. Manager goes in public how he wants him to stay. No player will choose to leave in that situation.

So, current situation is:
Maguire: manager wants him to stay and he doesn't even consider to leave.
McT: manager public comment is that he wants him to stay
Eriksen: doesn't consider leaving
Antony: agent comments are "he is staying"
Casemiro: no offers. Probably staying
Sancho: some rumours. Biggest chance for leaving
Awb: low offers so far
Lindelof: zero rumours and offers

Last edited:
Latest public comments about Harry and Mct are main reason why we can't sell players. When you say to player that he has future in club (Maguire interview) then how can you expect from him to drop from Man Utd to West Ham or Fulham?
Same is with McTominay. Manager goes in public how he wants him to stay. No player will choose to leave in that situation.

So, current situation is:
Maguire: manager wants him to stay and he doesn't even consider to leave.
McT: manager public comment is that he wants him to stay
Eriksen: doesn't consider leaving
Antony: agent comments are "he is staying"
Casemiro: no offers. Probably staying
Sancho: some rumours. Biggest chance for leaving
Awb: low offers so far
Lindelof: zero rumours and offers

Yeah the sale situation is grim to say the least for the exact reasons that you have outlined

Yeah the sale situation is grim to say the least for the exact reasons that you have outlined
At the same time, same fans who keep repeating "you can't force player to leave" are moaning every single fecking summer about Chelsea and City sales. Two clubs who clearly say to their players: "you are not needed and you will not play".

"Em, uh, hm....how can they do it? How? "
That is how. They send the message to player; "You will either go or you will not play. Your choice." And by the fees which they get, it doesn't hurt their selling position, isn't it?

At the same time, same fans who keep repeating "you can't force player to leave" are moaning every single fecking summer about Chelsea and City sales. Two clubs who clearly say to their players: "you are not needed and you will not play".

"Em, uh, hm....how can they do it? How? "
That is how. They send the message to player; "You will either go or you will not play. Your choice." And by the fees which they get, it doesn't hurt their selling position, isn't it?

There are too many on the Utd deadwood list who would be quite happy to collect their paycheck and sit on the sidelines to make that work.