The beginning of the end... (the original board vetoed Mourinho's transfer wish list thread)

I don't understand why Woodward would brief the press over this, surely this will just cause animosity.

It's laughable that Woodward leaks he wanted to pay 100m for Varane, he should hire Wenger as our next manager and they can talk about all the players they nearly signed.

The Glazers are parasites who are content with top 4, they have no intention to compete with City.

How many leagues and champions leagues has Woodward won? Toby would have been a huge addition.
The Varane thing is a stupid thing to make public, is it any wonder the club get fleeced by everyone across Europe

There weren't any serious signs that he did. Mourinho couldn't have made it clearer in February that he wasn't after any attacking signings in the summer, Mourinho himself said Young could play 50+ games next season and Shaw said Mourinho sent him positive texts over summer about his chances next season.

So what was the second signing he would have liked:

"I would like two more players. I don't think I'm going to have two," he said. "I think it's possible I'm going to have one.

Maybe he wanted two CB's?

They got conned good and proper:lol: All that noise and 'leaks' about PSG probably got Ed in a panic, who probably didn't want to start shopping for a new manager.
He should have been more clever though as Jose did the exact same thing in his last season at Chelsea.

Yup.

PSG were never interest, it was obvious we got played by him and Mendes.

Not for me mate, i think it's far too many players who could go over the hill at the same time and would need replaced in a short timeframe. 2 thirds of the team around 30 and no players under 25.

I tend to agree with Fergusons general philosophy on team building he explained in one of his books. It was always the goal to have the team in a position that it could evolve gradually, and age was a big part of his philosophy. Moving on a few players each summer to be replace by younger ones.

So i can't remember it exactly but it was something like only ever having 2-3 players around 30 in your first team, never more than 2-3 around 20 and the rest somewhere in between was basically the gist of it.
Different times tho, mate.

Just look at the CB's and their level given the age. Young CB's lack experience and are really hard to break into top sides that require a lot of concentration and to be at high level all the time.

Jose's teams have always based on a solid backline, it's where it starts. He recalled Jorge Costa from loan at Porto, bought Carvalho at Chelsea, Lucio at Inter, Carvalho at Real and converted Ramos as CB. All experienced choices and players he's comfortable working with.

Having an experienced CB who you trust is vital for Jose. He doesn't trust either Smalling or Jones IMO and it's for a reason.

Absolutely agree with this policy. Pathetic need to sign ready made players at their peak. Get the best out of the players you have. Coach some attacking play into the team.

If you can't do that, it's not worth investing more in you

Yeah because buying ready made players has worked out terribly for Madrid. 4 European cups in 5 years and the most successful team in history.

Obviously, I'm reluctant to delve too deep into this discussion without proof that the article is genuine, but if there is a shred of evidence suggesting that Woody and the board are refusing to both buy the players Jose has requested and sell the ones he deems surplus to requirements, then they are blatantly undermining his management of the club. To think that people of little to no footballing background such as the Glazers and Woody believing they know better than a manager of Jose Mourinho's experience is quite frankly shocking.

It stinks of a deeper issue with Jose and the board. Maybe they are attempting to get him to walk, and if that is the case then Jose should do just that.

It's all conjecture at this point though. None of us truly know what is going on.

Again mate if true then the issues detailed in these rumours are no different to what happens at the vast majority of football clubs throughout history. If you have read any of SAF's books this sort of stuff happened to him regularly under Edwards especially.

I don't think it necessarily the club undermining a manager. But more two different perspectives on one goal clashing. Mourinho thinking only about the football side when he identifies targets and Woodward etc looking at those targets from a business perspective.

If people seriously think Alderweireld is short term then please give me a list of players better than him for less/similar money?

I’m perversely happy with our lack of activity too. Let’s see him get the current lot to play a tune. They’re better than we saw last season. If he can’t do that, then cheerio. Time for a fresh start.

This is exactly my viewpoint. I'm not expecting a lot from this season and if the "end" is the end of Mourinho's tenure then that is what I expect it to be. But I'm glad we didn't spend £65m on Alderweireld when I don't think it would have made that much difference.

To me this is unacceptable. But i'd have more sympathy for Jose then the board as it's the board who have final say and they've wrecked our season. People forget we started last season well...it was shown that we are NOT good enough. We don't have enough game changers. City added to their options and we talked about value. Mentally we are not in a position to challenge City and we risk falling further behind because of this complete stupidity. If we had have signed Mahrez and Mane a few seasons back, we'd be a much better squad but we did nothing. We are uncertain at this point with a manager who maybe play a kid or two but we're in a bad way. Shaw and Valencia are not suddenly going to turn into players who get more then a handful of assists a season....our lack of width/pace out wide to get in behind is killing us. When teams sit back, we don't have the quality or mentality and maybe even sometimes belief/confidence to break them down.

Last edited:
Why are 28 year old players suddenly seen as "over the hill"? You can easily get 4-5 years of top quality from them.

Perhaps his thinking is that we've already signed two CBs for the current manager and whatever Levy demands is just not reasonable for Alderweireld?
And what if Jose wanted to play 3 CB's at the back, compared to last season? It isn't his job to identify targets or line up.

It isn't just Toby there were around 5 CB's that he briefed we turned our noses on. Hell even Boateng is better than either Jones or Smalling - not being a donkey with the ball.

Woodward is a clown largely due to the manager choices but he can't sign players the manager doesn't want. Mourinho was dead set on signing a centre half which would have cost a tonne of money.
So what is the choice? Do we wait for Varane to become available or should we get the next best available defender ? I think the latter is more logical. To let the club fall behind it's competitors is more fiscally irresponsible in the long term than spending big money on a world class defender who's 30 yrs old.

Thread title is perfect. Really is beginning of the end and shows how appallingly bad we are run. If you don't support Jose's vision then don't give him a new contract.

Good.

They’re sick if spunking money on the likes of Lindelof, a player not good enough and needs upgrading 12 months later.

He’s happy with Jones and Smalling else he would have sold them by now and he bought Bailly and Lindelof, there’s also Rojo so the board must be wondering why he wants another cb.

Yeah because buying ready made players has worked out terribly for Madrid. 4 European cups in 5 years and the most successful team in history.

Keylor Navas is the oldest player they signed since Mourinho left (age 27). Vast majority of them were signed 21-23. Even Modric and Kroos were 24-25 respectively.

It's an awful example.

Surely going by the logic 'the club' and Ed Woodward want Mourinho to see out his contract until 2020 too then? Because you can't argue that you're keeping the long term in mind to defend your lack of investing, and judge your manager on (not) delivering short term results in the meantime.

Another problem would be that sacking Mourinho if he keeps us in top 4 this year could cost the club 20+ million, which again would not be good value for money compared to simply keeping him until his contract is up.

Good.

They’re sick if spunking money on the likes of Lindelof, a player not good enough and needs upgrading 12 months later.

He’s happy with Jones and Smalling else he would have sold them by now and he bought Bailly and Lindelof, there’s also Rojo so the board must be wondering why he wants another cb.
Rojo who's been given a new contract by Mourinho.

This is a clear sign of tension between the club and the manager. Think we’re in for a rough season folks.

Err yes it is. What planet do you live in?

First of all vast majority of managers out there don’t even get to pick players at all, they get picked by the board. You think Lopetegui at Real tells Florentino who to buy? Pull another one.

Secondly even if the players listen to managers to an extent they can disagree and block them when the deal makes no financial sense. Happens routinely. Spending exorbitant fees for over 30s is a classic no-no for boards unless the player in question is Ronaldo-Messi. That same fee might be available for a 25yo.

Err no it’s not as many other posters have adequately explained.

And using Real Madrid as an example is thoroughly pointless.

Too many people are trying to turn our club into fecking Dortmund.

Wanting to buy top class players, rather than overpriced short-term fixes on average players makes sense until you remember that we are playing converted mediocre wingers as our first choice full-backs. The notion that there wasnt anyone available in the world who would be an improvement is laughable - especially if you add in the claim that we would have been willing to spend £100m on a CB.

I don't buy it at all.

It really depends, and it isn't a matter of trust. Ed wants United to be good for years to come, Mourinho might not care about it and want to sign a few players for whatever they cost, try to get a title/UCL and then leave the squad in a mess (he won't care what happens when he leaves). Which might explain Ed's reluctance to spend a shitload of money on players around 30 years old and to give up on Martial.

It is more that they have different goals. Considering that I plan to watch United even when Mourinho leaves, I am afraid that I back Ed in this case (not that it matters in any case).

I think if things were rosey with Jose and Ed they’d have given him the signings but I reckon JM is talking himself out of a job here at the minute for whatever reason, throwing decent players under the bus left and right, including his own fecking signings, falling out with everyone instead of trying to gee people up and have them run through walls for him... the club and players owe him nothing like...

I assumed the initial strategy when he came in would be to have a player in his prime as a starter and an exciting youngster as their understudy who would get plenty of game time... it’s not that far fetched. 60 million for Maguire though!!! So glad we didn’t go there, that just screams another shite post Fergie United signing that we won’t get the best out of or even know how to use or see how he’s any better than what we’ve got?

I hate that Liverpool’s big signings all of a sudden, while expensive, look like good well planned transfers that actually instantly improve them. they have longevity/resale all through the team on about 1/2 of the wages we are spending and the players seem to have some pride in the club and get on with the manager. Argh... Klopp is actually just In the process of doing a better job than Jose and it’ll be an actual fact this season. He started off with a far worse team than Jose stepped into and spent less since...That’s just how I feel now. It’s been so depressing and frustrating following us the last few years. Yeah I used to question Fergie a decent amount too but he always somehow pulled it out of the bag and got the job done. Ignoring Midfield etc etc...

this team needs a productive right winger and some kind of leader/win at all costs player on the pitch. the club need to stop signing average shite players with shit mentalities and giving them absolutely massive wages that scare a buying club off and ultimately their form here never deserves but there’s no incentive to do anything except tow the line, keep quiet and keep collecting the biggest wages of your life while the contract runs down. What’s the point in signing players like Shaw and Martial if you don’t have an arm around the shoulder kind of manager? Do the scouts scout, surely these lads personalities are checked before we spend so much on them? I actually doubt it now... Where’s the incentive to improve or fight for your place if the manager doesn’t really fancy you? It’s way too cushy and pc and nicely nicey here... and that’s just the painfully obvious stuff your average fan could see for the last 5 years. Rooney contract when even his biggest fan could see he was on the wane, signing Sanchez for the left with martial finally starting to shine (briefly) ,looking for a CB after signing 2 in the last 2 years (not much confidence going into a new season there Jose!), being linked to an average English CB for 60 million who we could have signed for 20 million 2 years ago, fellaini release clause, all our shit managerial appointments, “we can do things in the transfer market other clubs can only dream of” Herrera lawyers, not getting Thiago, Kroos etc etc meltdown over. Apologies, I needed that!

On the other hand I’m Looking forward to some football. I think an improved pogba lukaku Sanchez and martial could be worth another 10 points to us this season. Fred looks like a good signing. Do they still want to play for Jose? Can he coach and improve them? Can he inspire them? Can I handle another season listening to/looking at Jose moaning and then refusing to rotate or give new players a proper chance and tabloid click bait about pogba being unhappy the whole time. Argh! So conflicted. I’ll never stop supporting but it’s so depressing being a united fan right now. It’s hard watching something you love turn into a total shit show and a circus. : (

Last edited:
If you look at Real's best players of the last 5 seasons, how old were they when they signed? Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Isco, Varane, Modric, Kroos, Marcelo etc...? All <26 years old is the answer.

Ronaldo and Bale were both world record signings. If Woodward wants to break the world record and get Mbappe we'd be OK with it, some chance of that ever happening. Madrid spent massive money on any area they needed strengthening and always targeted the best players regardless of age. Their just aren't very many CB's in world football better than Toby who we could sign since all his gum flapping about Varane is just that.

This definitely isn't going to help his odds of being the first manager to go this season.

Do you lot remember when Sir Alex used to say the manager must be the most important person at a football club? Those were the days...

So what was the second signing he would have liked:

"I would like two more players. I don't think I'm going to have two," he said. "I think it's possible I'm going to have one.

Maybe he wanted two CB's?
Got no idea. Might have been the case if we were going for a formation change. With the Martial issues there's a chance Mourinho changed his mind about the attacking signing but we would have needed to have sold him first.

If people seriously think Alderweireld is short term then please give me a list of players better than him for less/similar money?
Issue with Alderweireld was Spurs wanting £70M for someone who'll cost £25M in a year's time and has just come off an injury that kept him out a while. Not even City would pay that if they knew he'd be coming to them the following season for the lower price.

I don't understand why Woodward would brief the press over this, surely this will just cause animosity.

Woody also has an ego, it must suck when Jose always puts the pressure on him in press conferences.

I feel like I’ve heard the ‘ask my CEO’ type of line a lot from Jose when pressed for transfer news or the ‘I asked for x players and only got y’

It’s sll gonna kick off that’s pretty clear, we’ll drop a few points and the whole thing will blow open.

Wanting to buy top class players, rather than overpriced short-term fixes on average players makes sense until you remember that we are playing converted mediocre wingers as our first choice full-backs. The notion that there wasnt anyone available in the world who would be an improvement is laughable - especially if you add in the claim that we would have been willing to spend £100m on a CB.

I don't buy it at all.

There's nothing even suggesting this is anything about full backs though. It's obviously about a CB. Mourinho hasn't looked for full-back since he's been here - Andy Robertson went to Liverpool last summer uncontested, Mendy went to City. Mourinho loves Young and Valencia - and he intended them to be first choice.

Because the club is getting shit on for being incompetent in the transfer market and Ed is taking the brunt of that blame. This press briefing puts the club and Ed in better light and essentially names Jose as a short-termist. It’s been a success too as the majority of fans appear to be siding with the club here.

Seems just bizarre.

So the board said 100 million for Varane or no one else? I get that Varane is a fantastic player but in what world is Alderwield not even close?
We really need new blood for some positive today. If we don't win tomorrow the knives are going to be out. Jose now has the fans on his side .
Alder is nowhere as good as Varane, is 4 years older, and probably doesn't have any advertisement value (unlike Varane who was overhyped since he was 18 or so and was mentioned as the next big thing when it comes to defenders).

Saying that, I think that Alder would have become our best CB, though his stats surprisingly are not good at all. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Ed has data analysts under him who also look from that point of view.

Found a piece in the Guardian. Mindblowing stuff altogether.

THEN WHY DID YOU HIRE THE MISERABLE TWAT, YOU GOGGLE EYED DIPSHIT?!?

*and breath*

Obviously hope it’s all paper talk but why in the hell is Woodward even allowed an opinion on who to sign? Or are there other, actual football people, in the mix here? Sir Bob?!

Woodward hired him because at the time he was probably the only manager on the market, who could dig Woodward and the club out of a hole and save them financial penalties if they did not meet their sponsors requirements of not qualifying for the Champions League.
Failure would have cost the club financially and brought into question Woodward's past decision making with regard to the recruitment
not only of managers but players. ( This is the CEO who actually paid Everton more than they were originally asking for Fellaini ).
I suspect Woodward promised Jose the earth in financial backing in the transfer market and this would appear to be correct in the first 2 years. However, the contract has been saved for the time being. Now Woodward who has no previous knowledge of football suddenly if the press reports are correct feels that the playing side of the club does not need improving and this would appear to be contrary to the thoughts of the manager and certainly the view of a large number of supports
Has Woodward, ( Clearly if he has it must be with the clear backing of the owners ) reneged on promises made to Jose. Clearly as supporters we are not likely to have an answer to this question. However, if correct then I believe it will eventually be detrimental to the club for the following reasons. 1. The present manager will leave since no manager can build a side to his playing style if the board or CEO., are choosing the players. 2. Prospective future managers will question Woodward's and the boards integrity with regard what he and the board promise, thus top managers will not come. 3. As a result of 2 we will recruit a sub standard manager and effectively the playing side will be determined by the board or the CEO.

The money isn't going to get saved up for a rainy day. It's going right in the shareholder's pockets. The Glazers are adding an incredible amount of money to their own private wealth every year off the back of the Man Utd brand. They should absolutely be reinvesting a huge chunk of it into the squad each season. Man Utd should be shopping for players from Harrods, not raking around in the Lidl bargain bin just because it's better value.

It's hard not to be cynical about the Glazers lining their pockets after today, and all the similar stories that have come out in the last hour or so certainly appear to be a damage limitation exercise from the club, but you're contradicting yourself a bit with your post.

We should be looking to bring in the big names, like you say, but that's not Mina, Maguire or Boateng. There just aren't many top CBs available or willing to move right now.

Also, the board have backed him with ready made players like Matic and Sanchez, and I'm sure they would have paid a hefty fee for Willian if Chelsea would sell. Bale was obviously the main target, but that dream ended when Ronaldo left for Juventus.

Personally, I'd like to see us go back to looking to develop young players with potential, and bring in the occasional star when the opportunity arises to help guide them.

The problem is you need a long term manager for that, and when we have signed these players recently it hasn't worked out - Shaw, Depay, even Martial.

We need to be more clever going forward, I don't know exactly how that looks, but to be honest I very much doubt Mourinho will be a part of it.

A 'win at all costs' quick fix manager wanting to sign players that are ... wait for it ... quick fix. Although I agree with Woody's current stance you've got to wonder why he and the board didn't see this coming when they hired Mourinho. Baffling management all around.
I wonder why the fans didn t see it coming

Because the club is getting shit on for being incompetent in the transfer market and Ed is taking the brunt of that blame. This press briefing puts the club and Ed in better light and essentially names Jose as a short-termist. It’s been a success too as the majority of fans appear to be siding with the club here.

I'm not! Because it's easy to say that. If they don't back the manager then you have a problem. This is really about ££££. But by the same token, why a new central defender and not full back or winger? This nonsense should be nipped in the bud.

While it's true the club have backed Jose prior, that support has to continue else the supporters should ask why is the club looking to create a problem? If they feel we've too many defenders, LEARN how to sell players properly. Other then Blind, usually we sell for cheap.

The club and this value talk is a joke and even if the transfer market had been longer in England, we'd still be wasting out breath on these idiots looking to improve the squad. Forget names at this point. We just need new ideas to problems that won't go away. We needed players to CHALLENGE others to improve because it seems they prance about like show ponies in training and very few show signs of being able to improve as players.

Or maybe these over paid primadonnas will learn how to give proper width so that we can play to our full potential rather then struggle with teams that sit back. Naturally that would be the best solution but let's be realistic. We have become what Sir Alex warned against. Complacent. Because the owners bought into success. They have no idea what's required when it leaves you

And maybe they are right to talk about value but then I don't think it's right that they should have been allowed to purchase the club when they didn't have the money.....Now this is an 'Ed' vs Jose thing but they obviously back Ed else he would have been ignored. City and the like have destroyed the market but you have to compete or sell the club if you cannot compete else we risk becoming arsenal but with more commerical deals and better social media interaction.

Last edited: