The bad (typically gun related) things happening in America thread

The 24th US school shooting of the year, how high does that number have to go before something is done?
What do you mean by "something"?
Like arming teachers with guns? Arming high schoolers with guns? Guns in every class?

At this point, I think just adding a psyche test before you can legally own a gun would rule out about two-thirds of gun owners without impeaching on the precious 2nd amendment.
That is where the well bribed politicians come in. To stop all kinds of checks and balances, so that more and more guns are sold.

Aside from all the shootings at schools, when you have so many guns and such easy access to them that they are being taken over the border to Mexico and being used by the drug cartels.... Well it may be time to think something needs to be done about this.

But no. Because, Freedom, The American Way, The Constitution, NRA, and money, feck loads of money. Of course not forgetting.... Ya just like guns....

Because, Freedom, The American Way, The Constitution, NRA, and money, feck loads of money
I think you have it backwards. The money, the NRA and paid politicians come first. That drives the narrative of the American Way and Freedom.

Some ideas that are actually doable as they are modeled on other consumer products:

1. Tax the shit out of ammunition. Treat bullets like cigarettes.
2. Make gun owners carry insurance like we do car owners.
3. We make people who want to drive cars get a license showing they have a basic level of competence ( :lol: ), do the same with gun owners. Want to shoot a gun? License and training required.

The idea is not that the above will stop most, if much violence in the short term, but the idea should be to make gun ownership as difficult as possible. I have given up any hope of meaningful change in my lifetime and I have accepted I will likely lose more loved ones to gun violence before I die, but we need to start somewhere.

Some ideas that are actually doable as they are modeled on other consumer products:

3. We make people who want to drive cars get a license showing they have a basic level of competence ( :lol: ), do the same with gun owners. Want to shoot a gun? License and training required.

The idea is not that the above will stop most, if much violence in the short term, but the idea should be to make gun ownership as difficult as possible. I have given up any hope of meaningful change in my lifetime and I have accepted I will likely lose more loved ones to gun violence before I die, but we need to start somewhere.

Nice ideas, but the same as restricting clip size and assault rifles, until there is the political will to do these things it's never going to happen. Especially when you have twats in charge or when the Supreme Court overturn things like the bump stock ban as they did back in June.

Agree with all of this. We know what works (red flag laws and banning assault weapons work), but our judicial system is so fecked that many attempts to do that again get overturned as "unconstitutional".

Nice ideas, but the same as restricting clip size and assault rifles, until there is the political will to do these things it's never going to happen. Especially when you have twats in charge or when the Supreme Court overturn things like the bump stock ban as they did back in June.

Agree with all of this. We know what works (red flag laws and banning assault weapons work), but our judicial system is so fecked that many attempts to do that again get overturned as "unconstitutional".

Which is why I did not mention any regulations on the guns themselves, nor on laws to restrict ownership or take away guns. Model the restrictions on existing regulations for other common consumer products. Would the current SCOTUS overturn decades of precedence regarding cig taxes and car licenses/insurance just to protect guns? Probably, but that is not a reason to not start small and acknowledge that structural changes in government (flipping SCOTUS, politicians discovering courage for the first time, etc.) have to happen before actual, meaningful change can occur.

Aside from all the shootings at schools, when you have so many guns and such easy access to them that they are being taken over the border to Mexico and being used by the drug cartels.... Well it may be time to think something needs to be done about this.

But no. Because, Freedom, The American Way, The Constitution, NRA, and money, feck loads of money. Of course not forgetting.... Ya just like guns....
Don't forget about us! 85% of guns used in crimes north of the Canada/US border were smuggled in from America.

#3 is easy and should be done. My understanding is that most states that allow concealed carry have some sort of licensing-esque requirements in place.

Safe storage is also an easy one that should be required. The number of kids who would be spared a grisly, accidental death would be significantly reduced if people stopped leaving loaded guns in drawers and under pillows. It might stop a few school shootings, too. People who are so scared they need a loaded gun lying around should get a holster and wear it, you aren't getting to that drawer when someone kicks your door in anyway.l

Classic case of "who will bell the cat?".

The politicians have no incentive to make safer gun laws. While they have full monetary incentive to make them weaker. Not to mention that the Republican voters have been brainwashed for decades that making safe gun laws was a a leftist/communist move that breaks America's ideals of freedom and democracy and the moment gun control laws are introduced, savages will start attacking your houses and murder you.

#3 is easy and should be done. My understanding is that most states that allow concealed carry have some sort of licensing-esque requirements in place.

Safe storage is also an easy one that should be required. The number of kids who would be spared a grisly, accidental death would be significantly reduced if people stopped leaving loaded guns in drawers and under pillows. It might stop a few school shootings, too. People who are so scared they need a loaded gun lying around should get a holster and wear it, you aren't getting to that drawer when someone kicks your door in anyway.l
TBH #1 is the easiest, but you would also need to tax/restrict the tools and the stuff that actually make up bullets

TBH #1 is the easiest, but you would also need to tax/restrict the tools and the stuff that actually make up bullets
Easy to implement, and it wouldn't be difficult to include tools and components in the tax regime but it would generate a lot of backlash and be deeply unpopular in a lot of states.

Easy to implement, and it wouldn't be difficult to include tools and components in the tax regime but it would generate a lot of backlash and be deeply unpopular in a lot of states.
Well if they can't afford bullets they wouldn't be much of a problem.

Don't forget about us! 85% of guns used in crimes north of the Canada/US border were smuggled in from America.

Sorry mate, I didn't mean to forget you lot up there.

Classic case of "who will bell the cat?".

The politicians have no incentive to make safer gun laws. While they have full monetary incentive to make them weaker. Not to mention that the Republican voters have been brainwashed for decades that making safe gun laws was a a leftist/communist move that breaks America's ideals of freedom and democracy and the moment gun control laws are introduced, savages will start attacking your houses and murder you.
Here's the thing though, there is political will in many states (at least the "blue" ones) to enact legislation. The problem is that it is almost always around laws that will restrict ownership or regulate the types/modifications of guns. Those of course are the areas of greatest impact, but also the easiest ones for Thomas and the boys to slap away. We need to be smarter and, infuriatingly, patient in how we go about this.

As for the last part. I was in Home Depot last week and some toolbag in a MAGA hat was strutting around with his glock strapped to his side in his (of course) quick draw holster. I could have easily reached over and taken it and shot his dumb ass before he even knew what was happening. Guns in public do not make us safer, just the opposite. There is a reason why the NRA hasn't slapped a (remotely believable) study showing so all over their website, and that reason is because more guns equals more dead people.

Well if they can't afford bullets they wouldn't be much of a problem.
Heh. American gun owners have massive stockpiles of ammo. What we do up here is require the gun licence to be able to purchase ammo. The stores record your licence number and what you purchased as well.

Now, our licencing system also includes a daily check that we haven't been naughty so that's an extra layer that would be required in the US if they brought in licencing.

Heh. American gun owners have massive stockpiles of ammo. What we do up here is require the gun licence to be able to purchase ammo. The stores record your licence number and what you purchased as well.

Now, our licencing system also includes a daily check that we haven't been naughty so that's an extra layer that would be required in the US if they brought in licencing.
Did Canada subcontract that to the North Pole?

If they wont get rid of the guns, which they wont, then the only solution is a gated community schools with fences and proper security ie scanners and ex military police like at airports. Yeah its cost and people will complain because its restricting freedoms and its like a prison and blah blah blah but wouldn't you prefer that then sending your kids to school never knowibg if some nerd fkr will pull out a semi automatic and shoot everyone.

If they wont get rid of the guns, which they wont, then the only solution is a gated community schools with fences and proper security ie scanners and ex military police like at airports. Yeah its cost and people will complain because its restricting freedoms and its like a prison and blah blah blah but wouldn't you prefer that then sending your kids to school never knowibg if some nerd fkr will pull out a semi automatic and shoot everyone.
Parkland had a resource officer on site.
Uvalde has 100+ officers on site within minutes.

Based on the creative ways and the ease with which my students (when I taught HS) brought in booze and cigarettes I have no faith in any security measures keeping out a concerted effort to get a gun into school.

Did Canada subcontract that to the North Pole?
Hehehe, apparently it's an automated FTP called continuous eligibility screening. So, each night all the police forces submit a file to the RCMP of people who've had charges or complaints and those are cross referenced to the licence holders.

Certain types of naughtiness (i.e. drugs, assault or domestics) will result in a review that can mean your licence is suspended or revoked, and firearms confiscated, if they weren't already by the attending officers.

All being done already in one way or another. It doesn’t work. The cops in Uvalde were plentiful. They just didn’t have the guts to enter the building. Security personell and stuff like scanners is also quite common in many schooled, especially inner city schools.
The only thing that will help is to ban those fecking guns. Everything else is just cosmetics, at best.

You gotta start somewhere, ultimately though the people have to make it untenable for politicans to ignore the issue, that starts with $$$$ - maybe some of the billionaires need to start outpaying the gun lobby to get them to vote the way they need to

You gotta start somewhere, ultimately though the people have to make it untenable for politicans to ignore the issue, that starts with $$$$ - maybe some of the billionaires need to start outpaying the gun lobby to get them to vote the way they need to

That's just not going to happen though. Firstly, how many of those billionaires have shares in the gun companies? Or are gum owners themselves and don't want restrictions?

Maybe if people protested like they are for the events in Gaza that something might change? Although, even then I doubt it. I understand and agree with the protests for a ceasefire and against the government funding and supplying weapons to Israel and I think they are right to speak out about it.

I just find it baffling why there isn't the same effort, passion & unity for something closer to home? Especially when there were 43,000 recorded gun deaths in 2023 & In the last 6 years nearly 500 people have been killed or injured in school shootings. I think people have become numb to it and the fact they don't believe things will ever change and that's really sad.

That's just not going to happen though. Firstly, how many of those billionaires have shares in the gun companies? Or are gum owners themselves and don't want restrictions?

Maybe if people protested like they are for the events in Gaza that something might change? Although, even then I doubt it. I understand and agree with the protests for a ceasefire and against the government funding and supplying weapons to Israel and I think they are right to speak out about it.

I just find it baffling why there isn't the same effort, passion & unity for something closer to home? Especially when there were 43,000 recorded gun deaths in 2023 & In the last 6 years nearly 500 people have been killed or injured in school shootings. I think people have become numb to it and the fact they don't believe things will ever change and that's really sad.
People protested Gaza, BLM protested, and young people protested after Parkland and nothing changed, same with Vietnam, the only protests that have really changed anything was the Civil Rights ones.

The majority of Americans want restrictions but the gun lobby funds politicians to stop meaningful change, the only way to stop that is to ban lobbying or make it more worthwhile to vote for change, many billionairs have pledged to give their money away to good causes, funding against the gun lobby is as good a cause as anything else, guns aren't being banned but ensuring that certain type of guns are not available to the general public would be a good start

All being done already in one way or another. It doesn’t work. The cops in Uvalde were plentiful. They just didn’t have the guts to enter the building. Security personell and stuff like scanners is also quite common in many schooled, especially inner city schools.
The only thing that will help is to ban those fecking guns. Everything else is just cosmetics, at best.
They just aren't doing it properly. They don't manage to get guns through an airport and if you got a gun out they would take you out sharpish. Instead of hiring fat rentacops hire properly trained ex military. Have proper screenings etc. It can be done because there are numerous places where it has been done.
Obviously get rid of guns would be ideal. But we all know that isn't going to happen

Its fecking shocking how people in this country see babies being shot and their response is to buy more guns. We should really start with a national debate on "A well regulated militia" part and demand Congress enact proper legislation to define this part of an amendment that has no right being as vague as this in 2024.

People protested Gaza, BLM protested, and young people protested after Parkland and nothing changed, same with Vietnam, the only protests that have really changed anything was the Civil Rights ones.

The majority of Americans want restrictions but the gun lobby funds politicians to stop meaningful change, the only way to stop that is to ban lobbying or make it more worthwhile to vote for change, many billionairs have pledged to give their money away to good causes, funding against the gun lobby is as good a cause as anything else, guns aren't being banned but ensuring that certain type of guns are not available to the general public would be a good start

It can be done, look at The French. One thing you can say about them is that they know how to get their message across to their leaders. Also, going back a while now, but the UK protested Poll Tax and got it abolished. The fact it was replaced with Council Tax that actually is more costly to people is besides the point.

Where there is a will, there is a way. If people came together and used measures on top of marching & protesting then those in power have to listen. Yes lobbying is a huge part of the problem, one that creates many more problems than just guns, so I agree that has to be stopped, but the people have to do this or it will.never change. You have had countless politicians who campaign on gun laws and even recent Presidents such as Obama and Biden who have spoken about gun restrictions but they can't do anything about it.

I said earlier about the Supreme Court overturning the ban on bump stocks which is just completely insane seeing as it was used to aid the most deadly mass shooting in US history.

So as I said, it has to be the people who force this change if they really want it and they have to come together to do so. You're right too, they need to get everyone they can to help, especially rich or famous people whom can use their money & influence to help the cause. The trouble is most are too busy working their arses off to take time off work or being distracted by whatever bullshit is doing the rounds at the time.

The only thing I do know is that this keeps happening & families suffering unimaginable pain while nothing is done aside from token speeches about gun control that are attacked by the opposition for being inappropriate and told it's not the right time to bring that up while others send their thoughts & prayers whilst wearing pin badges of the weapons used in the shootings.

It needs to stop.

I came here to post this. Imagine encouraging your child to murder people. What's also unacceptable is that he was on the FBI radar and they were still allowed to purchase assault weapons. Where's the fecking line on these matters? You have someone on an FBI watch list but nobody is monitoring the access to weapons? It's beyond unacceptable and it's utter disrespect for the innocent victims who are dead because of pure incompetence.

I came here to post this. Imagine encouraging your child to murder people. What's also unacceptable is that he was on the FBI radar and they were still allowed to purchase assault weapons. Where's the fecking line on these matters? You have someone on an FBI watch list but nobody is monitoring the access to weapons? It's beyond unacceptable and it's utter disrespect for the innocent victims who are dead because of pure incompetence.
The line? The line is so far over the horizon for these people there are not enough corpses to fill the gap between here and there. It’s things like this that test my point to try to never wish ill on other, but my god I am tempted to want every single gun owner in this country to keel over. All of them.

it’s almost like doing the opposite to what america is doing is the way forward for the rest of the world

But these same geniuses get to go half way around the world and bomb whole families to possibly kill one person.They randomly decide who lives and dies every day and make countless mistakes. It’s beyond crazy.

Saying that it’s wrong and you’re willing to fight against that happening to more innocent people makes your views extreme? I don’t know what to think anymore. Why do people always want to follow people who tell us to fight each other or to be afraid of each other?

Truly bizarre that the obvious solution is impossible. Like the occupants of Jones Town blocking a ban on the sale of Kool Aid.

Truly bizarre that the obvious solution is impossible. Like the occupants of Jones Town blocking a ban on the sale of Kool Aid.
I had a pretty surreal convo with a libertarian colleague about this today. He’s very upset that the FBI and Jackson County Sheriffs Dept didn’t arrest the kid back when he was investigated for online threats, even though it’s reported that there wasn’t enough evidence to do anything. And he’s upset that a kid with obvious mental health issues wasn’t “checked up on or sent to a specialist” and was able to be Christmas gifted the AR-15 he used this week.

And the whole time I’m like… uhhh… who’s gonna tell him?

I had a pretty surreal convo with a libertarian colleague about this today. He’s very upset that the FBI and Jackson County Sheriffs Dept didn’t arrest the kid back when he was investigated for online threats, even though it’s reported that there wasn’t enough evidence to do anything. And he’s upset that a kid with obvious mental health issues wasn’t “checked up on or sent to a specialist” and was able to be Christmas gifted the AR-15 he used this week.

And the whole time I’m like… uhhh… who’s gonna tell him?
Tactical nukes don't kill people .....