Tennis 2024

This is much better from Fritz, who is now serving very well.

I think Sinner was very good in the first set.

Eh. Fritz isn't playing badly actually, he's just not redlining. And he needs to be to have a chance

Eh. Fritz isn't playing badly actually, he's just not redlining. And he needs to be to have a chance
Nah. He’s playing okay. Nothing more. He’s serving in the high 50s and making too many unforced errors.

Typical American tennis performance. Might as well concede the point if the first serve fails.

Nah. He’s playing okay. Nothing more. He’s serving in the high 50s and making too many unforced errors.
Second set he's serving very well and the unforced errors....aren't. He *must* take risks, otherwise it's just waiting for death. UEs are the natural consequence of that. That's what i'm saying. Second set was his "normal" level, he served very well, and lost 6-4 in the end without ever really troubling Sinner. Either he redlines and thw UEs become winners, or he can't compete

Game over honestly

Second set he's serving very well and the unforced errors....aren't. He *must* take risks, otherwise it's just waiting for death. UEs are the natural consequence of that. That's what i'm saying. Second set was his "normal" level, he served very well, and lost 6-4 in the end without ever really troubling Sinner. Either he redlines and thw UEs become winners, or he can't compete

Game over honestly
He's heard you. All or nothing now it seems.

Hang about, does the US final often go up against the NFL opener? I don't recall this? Legit just seen this is practically done :lol:

Good man, Fritz. I didn't want to be at my best for work tomorrow anyway.

He's closing it this game btw

Narrator's voice: he did close it in that game

Last edited:
Sinner was good today but not at his best. Fritz with his Zverev form might have made it a game. Today's version was never getting it done.

Sinner was good today but not at his best. Fritz with his Zverev form might have made it a game. Today's version was never getting it done.
I think Fritz at his best probably loses in 4 anyway. It probably wasn't Sinner's absolute best but I thought he was very good and he could have taken his level up a notch if required.

Fritz redlined against DVerev. If he redlined today he might have lost in 4. Maybe even 5

I think Fritz at his best probably loses in 4 anyway. It probably wasn't Sinner's absolute best but I thought he was very good and he could have taken his level up a notch if required.
Fair. And I agree. I reckon he had a couple more levels to go to if Fritz turned the screw.

People gonna pretend it never happened now just so they won't be accused of agreeing with that cretin :lol:

Antidoping piranhas were left gnashing their teeth without even finding bite to stop their biggest fish the usual 4-6 months before any trial. Italy is the new DDR or there was nothing to see.

People gonna pretend it never happened now just so they won't be accused of agreeing with that cretin :lol:
It happened of course, but it's just a statement from Piers without any context.

I think the controversy is more around how no one knew about it, rather than him being cleared. His defence is as solid as it could be and the fact the amounts were so small it wouldn't have been performance enhancing also lessens the story. To me the headline is just enormously bigger than the reality (based on the information the information available).

Sinner has helped himself by addressing it publicly. You only have to look at Zverev and Kyrgios and the tone of how they responded to questions about their accusations of domestic violence.

Thought Draper gave him a tougher match in the semis. First two sets certainly. Third he was just done.

Bit of a no contest today really. Sinner was always in control without having to be at his absolute best. If Fritz had managed to find another level, you have the feeling Sinner had another couple of levels. Just a class above.

You only have to look at Zverev
To make it worse for him(deservedly), it wasn't just one, but two separate women who accused him.

Fool me once and all that.
He's also been elected onto the ATP council if I remember.

Interestingly, was there ever as many outspoken voices against Zverev as there were against Sinner for each of their supposed misdeeds?

I think the controversy is more around how no one knew about it, rather than him being cleared.
Meh, I think that's just player speak. The controversy is that he wasn't banned. Players can't say that though otherwise they might end up having to explain things they'd much rather keep under wraps. Kyrgios is Kyrgios. Brain power of a lemming
Thought Draper gave him a tougher match in the semis. First two sets certainly. Third he was just done.
Draper's top level seems to be very high, probably higher than Fritz, also Sinner played much better today in weather conditions not as destructive

Meh, I think that's just player speak. The controversy is that he wasn't banned. Players can't say that though otherwise they might end up having to explain things they'd much rather keep under wraps. Kyrgios is Kyrgios. Brain power of a lemming

Draper's top level seems to be very high, probably higher than Fritz, also Sinner played much better today in weather conditions not as destructive
Agreed. I think Draper’s development has been delayed by all the injuries. But his abilities, allied to his frame, means he’s still got some levels to go up yet. I could see him being a top 5 player, and I wouldn’t be surprised to him win a few slams if he can stay fit and healthy. This era is so much more open than the big three/four era just past.

Draper’s best shot is Wimbledon imho, home support plus no need to become Lord Grinder. If the likes of Berrettini and Kyrgios got a final there in recent times, why not a (potentially) higher ceiling like him?

Draper’s best shot is Wimbledon imho, home support plus no need to become Lord Grinder. If the likes of Berrettini and Kyrgios got a final there in recent times, why not a (potentially) higher ceiling like him?
A little harsh on Berrettini in particular. He was a very good grass court player and at one point he was only losing to Djokovic/Nadal at Grand Slams. I think seeing Musetti, Norrie, Shapovalov and Hurkacz make the SFs in those years is the real encouragement.

A little harsh on Berrettini in particular. He was a very good grass court player and at one point he was only losing to Djokovic/Nadal at Grand Slams. I think seeing Musetti, Norrie, Shapovalov and Hurkacz make the SFs in those years is the real encouragement.

He got his SF already and the top 5-to-20 level in the company of the likes you mention and more. Reaching a final and winning a maiden Grand Slam are the next two giant steps in their career… who will get there first?

He got his SF already and the top 5-to-20 level in the company of the likes you mention and more. Reaching a final and winning a maiden Grand Slam are the next two giant steps in their career… who will get there first?
That's a tricky one to predict. I have a feeling Shelton might be the next to break through and get to a final. One thing for certain is, there will be opportunities. In some ways, I think it may come down to the luck of the draw.

He beat Alcaraz at Queen's so maybe. A lot would depend on Sinner. Think Draper best GS potentially is AO right now, fast court+low bounce, better fitness levels/less risk of injury, but of course the problem there is Sinner, Meddy and Zverev seem much tougher to beat there than at Wimbledon right now, and Alcaraz is still Alcaraz

Plus Nole. He's gonna be back next year I think

He beat Alcaraz at Queen's so maybe. A lot would depend on Sinner. Think Draper best GS potentially is AO right now, fast court+low bounce, better fitness levels/less risk of injury, but of course the problem there is Sinner, Meddy and Zverev seem much tougher to beat there than at Wimbledon right now, and Alcaraz is still Alcaraz

Plus Nole. He's gonna be back next year I think
All things equal and a level playing field, I think Alcaraz has a supreme interest in AO25 (= Career Grand Slam at 21yo).

All things equal and a level playing field, I think Alcaraz has a supreme interest in AO25 (= Career Grand Slam at 21yo).
Agreed, but unless they slow down the court next year or he figures out fast HC this winter, I don't see him winning that. Sinner is just better on fast courts

Dan Evans takes the opening rubber in GB's Davis Cup tie against Finland, winning in straight sets.

Billy Harris up next, makes his debut then it's Evans/Skupski in the doubles.