Tennis 2024

6-1 3rd set incoming. Great tourney from Draper and huge progress which I see continuing next year but Sinner hasn’t had to be at his best despite the slogginess.

There comes a point where they have to look at whether a player should continue. Draper looks on auto-pilot physically at best

Yeah, this set will surely be 6-0 or 6-1. Shame for Draper as he’s going to need to find a way to hang with thee type of guys in long matches.

Yeah, this set will surely be 6-0 or 6-1. Shame for Draper as he’s going to need to find a way to hang with thee type of guys in long matches.
Murray and even Djokovic had similar issues breaking through. I'm not comparing Draper to them but it's pretty common early in the career.

What we could do here is a 17 year old Michael Chang trolling... Sinner would definitely fold like Lendl.

Murray and even Djokovic had similar issues breaking through. I'm not comparing Draper to them but it's pretty common early in the career.

Oh, I don’t disagree. He’s 22 though, so only just younger than Sinner and older than Alcaraz, and I’d expect them to get even stronger physically.

It’s understandable currently but it’s clearly something which he needs to work on - he’s had the best possible run to a SF here and was still looking done early in the second set. Might just be that he’s been unfortunate to pick up a slight bug but it’s an area of concern.

Plus side, his volleying has been very clean today. If/when he does put it all together, he’s got the game to take it to these guys.

Oh, I don’t disagree. He’s 22 though, so only just younger than Sinner and older than Alcaraz, and I’d expect them to get even stronger physically.

It’s understandable currently but it’s clearly something which he needs to work on - he’s had the best possible run to a SF here and was still looking done early in the second set. Might just be that he’s been unfortunate to pick up a slight bug but it’s an area of concern.

Plus side, his volleying has been very clean today. If/when he does put it all together, he’s got the game to take it to these guys.
He's got an exciting game by the look of him plenty of shit or bust going on. If he makes steady progress he will make a fortune and hopefully approach top 10 if all goes well.

Draper has top 10 talent technically and mentally, just need his physical to match

Sinner made the final never going above 4th gear...and frankly unless the american redlines for 3 sets, he probably won't need more than that to win the final either

Will always be a slam with an asterisk attached to it though. Yes, I heavily agree with Kyrgios on the doping issue heading into this.

Draper has top 10 talent technically and mentally, just need his physical to match

Sinner made the final never going above 4th gear...and frankly unless the american redlines for 3 sets, he probably won't need more than that to win the final either
I agree, he should be capable. The likes of Rublev has been a consistent top 10 player and no disrespect to him but him not exactly the most talented players out there but it's about the level of consistency week in week out and physically being ready to compete.

I think Fritz stands the better chance from a tennis perspective but I also think Tiafoe would handle the occasion better.

Will always be a slam with an asterisk attached to it though. Yes, I heavily agree with Kyrgios on the doping issue heading into this.
I tend to disagree. It is a big headline but his explanation all seems logical and he was cleared of any wrong doing. He wasn't as big a name at the time but Cilic tested positive for a banned substance (a higher dosage than Sinner but deemed unintentional) and won the US Open the following year and no one bats an eyelid at his career.

I tend to disagree. It is a big headline but his explanation all seems logical and he was cleared of any wrong doing. He wasn't as big a name at the time but Cilic tested positive for a banned substance (a higher dosage than Sinner but deemed unintentional) and won the US Open the following year and no one bats an eyelid at his career.

I mean, Cilic actually did lose tournament and slam time over it. So a bit different, although, sure, in 10 years time, no one will bat an eyelid about this years winner winning either (should he likely win). There's a clear lack of consistency.

The doping things a massive nothing burger.

I'd agree. But the approach needs to be consistent. If it were any of the other 3 semi-finalists here this week or hell anyone outside of the two faces of the future and I include Djokovic here, they would have almost certainly missed at least one slam if not more time, maybe not due to a direct ban, but for "reasons" related to dealing with it, as an example.

I'd agree. But the approach needs to be consistent. If it were any of the other 3 semi-finalists here this week or hell anyone outside of the two faces of the future and I include Djokovic here, they would have almost certainly missed at least one slam if not more time, maybe not due to a direct ban, but for "reasons" related to dealing with it, as an example.

Couldn’t say as it depends entirely on the context of the contamination, or indeed deliberate doping.

If other players can provide good evidence immediately I think it will (and has been) consistent. If they can’t it can be fairly awful but that’s not really anyone’s fault.

Not saying the system is great but I also don’t think there’s a favouritism element beyond pure resource and knowing exactly what caused it immediately.

Sinner vs Fritz and Sabalenka vs Pegula.

Can the Americans pull of an upset at their home slam?

DQ both these bums and make the other SF the final.

What a ridiculous thing to say, just for your information Jack said in his post match presser he felt fine earlier but got himself too anxious and it caused him to feel nauseous

Last edited:
I mean, Cilic actually did lose tournament and slam time over it. So a bit different, although, sure, in 10 years time, no one will bat an eyelid about this years winner winning either (should he likely win). There's a clear lack of consistency.
Agree, but not in the way players are talking about. I think Sinner is doping. I think the other players know he is doping(how do they *know*? Add 2+2...), but since they can't outright say it, they complain about the process(protocol was followed) and "unfairness" and lack of consistency - if you actually believe in Sinner's innocence, in his explanation especially, this is an oxymoron. Protocol was followed. If you believe in his explanation, then no, there's nothing inconsistent or unfair about it.

Sinner vs Fritz and Sabalenka vs Pegula.

Can the Americans pull of an upset at their home slam?
It's definitely possible. I would give Fritz a better chance than Pegula. I think Sabalenka has learned from last year's final and won't crumble, due to the crowd's support for her opponent.

The only thing I'm not sure about is both Fritz and Pegula will handle the occasion. The support could give them a huge lift and inspire them but they could also come out really nervous and before you know it, they have to mount a comeback.

I can't imagine a world where Fritz is a grand slam champion.
I'd prefer that world continue not to exist.

Looked like Sabalenka was going to race away with the first set - got to 5-2. But Pegula had fought her way back into it at 5-5. Good match now.

Looked like Sabalenka was going to race away with the first set - got to 5-2. But Pegula had fought her way back into it at 5-5. Good match now.
I ruined the comeback. Sabalenka takes the first set 7-5

Kyrgios showing, yet again, that he’s a garbage person.

200w.gif

There probably is some lack of consistency, although we have to remember that every case is different so it makes sense that the procedure will be somewhat different.

As far as I know, Sinner's case was handled by the book. If others weren't, or if they were mishandled, it still doesn't reflect on him in any way.

Sabalenka found another gear on the last couple of games there. Takes the match and the tournament 7-5 7-5

Such a powerful player.

I can't imagine a world where Fritz is a grand slam champion.
I'd prefer that world continue not to exist.

I reasonably agree.... but I probably would have said the same about Stan before he broke through at 2/3 years older on top. What was pretty odd was that everything suggested that if anyone was gonna be the one to somehow pull off the win, it'd be Ferrer, yet it was Stan and Cilic, who went on to use it to show they weren't fluke runs.

None of these dudes are Thomas Johansson bad either, and it's a bit mute if he just ends up as a one time runner-up like Malavai, Schuttler, Puerta, Verkerk or even from the same event, Greg Rusedski - the worst US Open finalist I can remember - as he's clearly a more solid consistent player than all of those.

I’d love to see Fritz win and I say that as someone who has always really enjoyed watching Sinner’s game. We need that group to break out and start winning slams.

There’s nothing I hate in tennis more than when broadcasters decide to use the close up camera angle for no apparent reason.

Very poor quality from Fritz who is just getting bossed on the baseline. Thought he’d be able to put on more of a fight but this doesn’t bode well.

Alcaraz really needs this weird dip in his form to be temporary for men's tennis not to hit a rut.

Fritz looks nervy as hell. If he can’t find his first serve regularly over the next set or so this match will be out of sight before he’s had a chance to sweat through his shoes.

Fritz looks nervy as hell. If he can’t find his first serve regularly over the next set or so this match will be out of sight before he’s had a chance to sweat through his shoes.
Someone whispered to him at the break that his basement is currently being searched