Tennis 2024

Very very impressed by Draper. I really haven’t seen much of him. I thought we were entering the Alcarez, Sinner and Medvedev era, but I think we’re going to have to add Draper to that trio. He’s got a serious big game, that lefty serve is pure power as well, nice touches and seems to have a bright tennis IQ. All very impressive.
Personally I think that's way too premature. We've seen the likes of Tsitsipas, FAA and Khachonov show more promise yet fall off for one reason or another. Someone like Zverev has had a good career but not made that significant breakthrough at a slam.

Then even some of Draper's age mates like Rune, Musetti and Shelton have arguably shown more thus far. Maybe one day he'll get added to that conversation but personally, I think he and some of these other names are a long way away from that and need to demonstrate consistency across a year or two first. If he goes and puts in a masterclass against Sinner or Medvedev and beats Fritz in the final, I might change my tune, but feels too early.

Draper’s best scenario is a long, draining five setter tonight leaving the winner unable to recover… which is realistic because Sinner and Medvedev are pretty same level these days and their style evenly matched as well.

Draper’s best scenario is a long, draining five setter tonight leaving the winner unable to recover… which is realistic because Sinner and Medvedev are pretty same level these days and their style evenly matched as well.
With two days to recover I think both are likely to be okay, even after a long 5 set match, as they've not been overextended in the tournament.

With two days to recover I think both are likely to be okay, even after a long 5 set match, as they've not been overextended in the tournament.
I was thinking the all American semi will be in the evening aka prime time on Friday, so that Sin/Med will have just 36+ hours to recover? Anyway, it’s a long shot, Draper will be a very long outside bet whomever he gets… but I can appreciate why the English fans really want to believe!

Pity about the timing for this match because I'd have loved to watch Sinner vs Medvedev.

I don't think it will come down to that. This might be a five setter but both Sinner and Medvedev have sailed through all the other rounds so far.

It's different when players aren't used to reaching the latter stages of slams but both these guys have been there before and expect to be there.

Draper should just play his normal attacking game - keeping points short, trying to get on top early in the rally, getting booming first serves in. He sure looks tough to play against.

Last edited:
Well then. Games have been more competitive in the second, but the set itself hasn't. Bo3 now, and neither should have spent much energy

Well then. 6-2, 1-6, 6-1. Such a weird match so far. Worth noting that despite the score, Sinner had the point to win the game in 5/7 games in the 2nd set.

Medvedev has played two sets like Miami(non-competitive, the need to be aggressive causing loads of UEs) and one set like his usual wall-octopus self where Sinner just couldn't find any easy points...

the feeling is as long as Sinner puts enough 1st serves in and plays aggressive off of it, Medvedev can't compete

Last edited:
I'm not sure a win against a clearly injured player tells you much that you didn't already know.
He's a 22 year old making his first slam semifinal and Demon wasn't clearly injured for the first two sets at least. He played the important points really well and defeated an opponent who he had never won against before. It's a great win even if demon wasn't at 100%.

He's a 22 year old making his first slam semifinal and Demon wasn't clearly injured for the first two sets at least. He played the important points really well and defeated an opponent who he had never won against before. It's a great win even if demon wasn't at 100%.
He has been clearly injured since round 2 and nearly retired during that game, after being out through injury since withdrawing during Wimbledon. I'm not saying anything bad about Draper, just that this games doesn't tell you anything more than you already knew about Draper's potential. Strong, young British lefty who also seems like a nice guy. What is there not to like? I hope he goes onto win the tournament.

He has been clearly injured since round 2 and nearly retired during that game, after being out through injury since withdrawing during Wimbledon. I'm not saying anything bad about Draper, just that this games doesn't tell you anything more than you already knew about Draper's potential. Strong, young British lefty who also seems like a nice guy. What is there not to like? I hope he goes onto win the tournament.
It tells me that in what was probably his highest pressure/stakes match he kept his cool, served well and didn't succumb to the pressure like many others have. I didn't have him as a potential slam winner but now I think he could snag one or two before his career is over.

Sinner 2 sets to 1 up. Not watched but, umm, interesting scorelines? Doesn't seem a very competitive match.

Sinner 2 sets to 1 up. Not watched but, umm, interesting scorelines? Doesn't seem a very competitive match.
It has been competitive in the 2nd set, just Meddy won all the key points :lol:

1st and 3rd were repeats of Miami. Honestly given this game has gone I wouldn't be too suprised if Meddy wins the 4th now, but I will be less suprised if Sinner dismantles him in the 4th too

Medvedev wasted 2 BP then gifts Sinner the break in the following game...feels over now. Yeah Medvedev just throwing the match away...5-3 Sinner in the 4th, 3 straight games Medvedev just threw away...

6-2, 1-6, 6-1, 6-4 Sinner

Last edited:
Going to need to play your best to beat Sinner and Medvedev didn't do enough. Draper next and that should be a fun match.

The Jancaraz era has officially begun. We need to come up with a catchy nickname :

Sinnaz
Carnick

Sounds like things horsechoker gets up to when his mom is out of town.

I was thinking the all American semi will be in the evening aka prime time on Friday, so that Sin/Med will have just 36+ hours to recover? Anyway, it’s a long shot, Draper will be a very long outside bet whomever he gets… but I can appreciate why the English fans really want to believe!
I think it will just be the order in which the different halves of the draw play, so expecting Fritz vs Tiafoe to be the first match.

I think it will just be the order in which the different halves of the draw play, so expecting Fritz vs Tiafoe to be the first match.
Tiafoe and Fritz got the night session. I'm not sure why they didn't give Shelton and Tiafoe night session the day Novak had a day match but in this case, they've given the Americans a night match even though Draper and Sinner have lesser rest time?

Tiafoe and Fritz got the night session. I'm not sure why they didn't give Shelton and Tiafoe night session the day Novak had a day match but in this case, they've given the Americans a night match even though Draper and Sinner have lesser rest time?
Eh. They still get more than 24 hours of rest. Draper gets 46 hours at that. Sinner close to 40

They put the game between the euros at european prime time(8/9pm GMT/CET)

Makes sense actually

I read that it's the first time since 2013 that they have switched the order around. I suspect, Sinner and Draper were happy, maybe even preferred the day session. I think if one of them had a really long QF it would be more contentious but it works out better for European and US broadcaster's this way.

Impressive comeback for Pegula to reach the final. Sabalenka was just too good for my girl Emma and i think she'll be a class above in the final as well.

We have a repeat of the women's Cincinnati final and we might also have a repeat of the men's final too.

The quality so far has been pretty average by both. Draper will be the happier of the two but I was hoping for better.

I think this tournament in particular has been a bit messy for both the men and the women. Far from a classic tournament.
Only watched a bit of the men and it's been very average. I guess you'd expect that when Carlos and Novak go out early.

Only watched a bit of the men and it's been very average. I guess you'd expect that when Carlos and Novak go out early.
I think the worst thing about those two going out is that it wasn't like their opponents were playing lights out tennis either. A bit of a weird tournament.

I wasn't sure before, but watching Sinner, I think Fritz could have a very good chance if he wins tonight and keeps it together mentally in the final.

I feel like Draper is going to be out of this match in 15 mins the way things are going. Sinner isn’t even having to play well to be causing him the problems he is.

This is absurd watching... just some dude (yeah Drapers coach) shouting all the time. I'll just watch Tennis on mute if this is the future.

Drapers coach talks as much as JCF does to Carlos. It's just incessant coaching/Pep talks.

This match is pretty ridiculous. Draper throwing up and Sinner looks to have destroyed his wrist.

Every time Draper comes down this end he starts throwing up. Has someone got some bad aftershave?

Good tie break from Sinner to almost close out this rather long set.

Yeah, Draper has no option but to go for broke now. Sinner has done well to keep his focus with all the vomit flying around.