Tennis 2024

Wow that is a shock. Botic is good player but one of those players that tends to be a good match up for top players that doesn't pose any serious threat. I didn't watch last night, but I presume it was more Alcaraz being terrible, rather than Botic playing lights out?

Bit of both. I mean Alcaraz was terrible for sure but Goatic won some amazing points.

Alcaraz losing against a man who's reached two challenger finals is crazy. Sinner will extend his points lead, but the most glaring thing about this is how the level of a 4 time slam winner can drop this way.

Generally speaking, top players unable on the day to perform at their usual level for whatever reason, just do not show up, oppos get a walkover and that’s it… Rybakina the latest one.

Alcaraz was never in this game. He looked twitchy, almost nervous and chaotic, which was strange to begin with. Most of all VERY impatient. He was forcing shots left and right from awkward angles, his tennis IQ was down the drain tonight.

Credit where it's due, Botic won some amazing points. First set was ridiculous, dude was a demon at the net.

I did think I hadn't heard Botic's name in a while and looking at his form over the past year, he's been in pretty woeful form. He had a nice run a few years ago and was once potentially tricky draw but it's been a long time since then.

Alcaraz has those periods at this early stage of his career. Had it after his 2022 Us Open win and had it after winning Wimbledon for the first time in 2023. Took him many months to get back to his best.

Or maybe it was the Djoko defeat in a tight final in the 2023 summer which unnerved him last year - and also did it this time around after the olympic final. We recently saw him smashing a racket. Very uncharacteristic of him.

We have to remember how young he is His summer has been incredible anyway. He is still learning.

Alcaraz has those periods at this early stage of his career. Had it after his 2022 Us Open win and had it after winning Wimbledon for the first time in 2023. Took him many months to get back to his best.

Or maybe it was the Djoko defeat in a tight final in the 2023 summer which unnerved him last year - and also did it this time around after the olympic final. We recently saw him smashing a racket. Very uncharacteristic of him.

We have to remember how young he is His summer has been incredible anyway. He is still learning.
Yes.

The defeat in Paris last month against Djokovic did to him what the defeat in Cincinnati did to him last year (against Djokovic too). Alcaraz is streaky.

Last year he made the Semifinal at US Open and lost to a redlining Medvedev

He struggled in the indoor season, but he's yet to figure out the fastest surfaces

I did think I hadn't heard Botic's name in a while and looking at his form over the past year, he's been in pretty woeful form. He had a nice run a few years ago and was once potentially tricky draw but it's been a long time since then.
Yeah he's had an especially awful year in 2024. I think both him and Tim van Rijthoven had a sort of decent season a while back, but Dutch tennis in general has been rubbish for what feels like 2 decades.

Yeah he's had an especially awful year in 2024. I think both him and Tim van Rijthoven had a sort of decent season a while back, but Dutch tennis in general has been rubbish for what feels like 2 decades.

Although it's still rubbish, it beats having Haase as our only pro player :lol: it also doesn't help that Griekspoor plays Sinner 10 times a year.

Ahh yeah, he had good grass court run and I don't recall hearing about him again

Reading some of his comments after yesterday's match it sounds like Alcaraz has run out of energy - mentally/emotionally if not physically.

“Now I’ve reached this swing and I’ve taken steps backwards, like I’m not doing well mentally, I’m not strong. I don’t know how to control myself when faced with problems and I don’t know how to handle it. I have to see exactly what happened, or what’s going on with me.

“It’s been a very emotional summer, very demanding... I’ve had my moments of disconnection, but I think I’m still learning about myself. Maybe, as a person, I need more time. I have to get to know myself, what I need. Maybe I’m the kind of person who, with a calendar like that, demands too much of himself mentally. I have to see exactly what’s going on.”

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/alcaraz-us-open-2024-r2-reaction-spanish

Ahh yeah, he had good grass court run and I don't recall hearing about him again
The greatest example of this is Martin Verkerk who came out of nowhere to make the RG final only to never do anything of note in the rest of his career.

Reading some of his comments after yesterday's match it sounds like Alcaraz has run out of energy - mentally/emotionally if not physically.

“Now I’ve reached this swing and I’ve taken steps backwards, like I’m not doing well mentally, I’m not strong. I don’t know how to control myself when faced with problems and I don’t know how to handle it. I have to see exactly what happened, or what’s going on with me.

“It’s been a very emotional summer, very demanding... I’ve had my moments of disconnection, but I think I’m still learning about myself. Maybe, as a person, I need more time. I have to get to know myself, what I need. Maybe I’m the kind of person who, with a calendar like that, demands too much of himself mentally. I have to see exactly what’s going on.”

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/alcaraz-us-open-2024-r2-reaction-spanish

As long as it's not a Coria sort of breakdown, he just has to relax a bit

Great drama and some thunderous ground strokes but the game iq of teenagers. Navarro vs Kostyuk has been much higher quality.
Yeah, that's what made it fun :lol: nothing but haymakers :cool:

Agree about Navarro - Kostyuk but I've turned on Shelton because I'm a sucker for preposterous serve speeds :lol:

Think Tiafoe has some mental block when it comes to Shelton though

Tiafoe managed to win in five sets. Musetti out and Djokovic down 2 sets to 1 and a break in the 4th.

Thought Djokovic would waltz through this draw tbh. But that being said, I did expect his motivation to crash after the Olympics so I guess it should not be THAT surprising.

If not for the Olympics I would say Djokovic is finished at the very highest level. That’s the one outlier in a very poor season. On the other hand he looked so convincing at the Olympics.

If not for the Olympics I would say Djokovic is finished at the very highest level. That’s the one outlier in a very poor season. On the other hand he looked so convincing at the Olympics.
It's only because he was extremely motivated there. He just can't seem to raise his level anymore otherwise.

Medvedev vs Sinner is now the defacto final pretty much!
First, Sinner has to get there. Second, Medvedev won this tournament in the past, so no. If Medvedev beats Sinner, someone other than those 2 will win the US Open

Think either Dimitrov or Fritz will come out that side of the draw personally. It *should* be Zverev but that giant turd luckily has the mentality of a fainting goat

It's only because he was extremely motivated there. He just can't seem to raise his level anymore otherwise.
I don’t know, doesn’t make sense to me for it to be a motivation problem. Why would he suddenly struggle with motivation when consistency and application was always his stand-out abilities?

I don’t know, doesn’t make sense to me for it to be a motivation problem. Why would he suddenly struggle with motivation when consistency and application was always his stand-out abilities?
Because he's 37 and the Olympics were the only tournament left for him to win the sport of tennis

He's admitted as much, he trains for 5 minutes and then stops because he'd rather spend time with his family instead, so he does that.

Because he's 37 and the Olympics were the only tournament left for him to win the sport of tennis

He's admitted as much, he trains for 5 minutes and then stops because he'd rather spend time with his family instead, so he does that.
Where are you reading this?

Just woke up and seen the result! Shocked but as far as R3 matches go, this was a tough one. Popyrin won in Canada and Novak hasn't played on hard courts since, Indian Wells

Feels wrong that a cohort of these lads could end up with the same or more Slams than Murray.

Best of 3 sets eh

This one is hardly a shock, sadly. Struggling with his serve all tournament, hit the net more than Messi. Not the first time Popyrin's serve gave him trouble either.

How many would he have won in a normal era
Too hard to compare across eras. Differences in rackets, balls, surfaces have dramatically change the sport. In his era, without the big 3 he wins 20 GS

If not Sinner, then I'd really like Dimitrov to go all the way and win it this time.

Sadly, it's probably unlikely. He always hits a hot streak that dies in the latter stages.