Tennis 2024

To be fair I have watched quite a few Rune matches and while you would occasionally hear the crowd go ruune, I have never seen it done at such frequency almost after every point, including unforced errors from Novak, to me it also implies part of the crowd was being sneaky for sure, nothing wrong with calling them out.

Correct

There were probably a small group of Danish fans who'd come over to watch the tennis and cheer on Rune. It's not a huge jaunt or anything from Copenhagen to London.

It's not like the crowd is exclusively made up of British people at SW19. Novak is taking this too personally - again.

Last edited:
He might have the most grand slams but Djokovic will never be put on the pedestal that Federer and to a lesser extent Nadal has. His playing style is effective but extremely dull and his twattish behavior doesn’t make up for it.

The Wimbledon crowd (organizers too probably) would hate it if djokovic tied Fed for most male titles. This is classic joker though, take a perceived slight and use it as fuel. He's going to need to step it up a bit against Carlos or Sinner and this should help him.

Rune was so pathetic yesterday that Nole actually had time during points to prepare his post match speech :lol:

The Wimbledon crowd (organizers too probably) would hate it if djokovic tied Fed for most male titles. This is classic joker though, take a perceived slight and use it as fuel. He's going to need to step it up a bit against Carlos or Sinner and this should help him.
Wouldn't everyone?

Wouldn't everyone?

Definitely not everyone. Like him or not he is already the goat and if he gets wimbledon number 8 he will also become the grass court goat. Same number of titles but 3-0 in wimbledon finals against Federer.

He might have the most grand slams but Djokovic will never be put on the pedestal that Federer and to a lesser extent Nadal has. His playing style is effective but extremely dull and his twattish behavior doesn’t make up for it.

Doubt he would want to hike down to be on such pedestal and crowd complaining about his twat behavior is classic cry bully mentality.

He's got such a fragile ego for someone who's won so much. The more he cries about not being appreciated the more unlikeable he gets. Why would the crowd be booing every time Rune won a point? Doesn't even make any sense.

He's got such a fragile ego for someone who's won so much. The more he cries about not being appreciated the more unlikeable he gets. Why would the crowd be booing every time Rune won a point? Doesn't even make any sense.

He didn't cry about not being appreciated he made a mountain out of a little disrespect to fuel himself. If he was as fragile as you say he would never be where he is now, dethroning Nadal and Federer and breaking most of their records. It's like saying Jordan was fragile because he took things personally.

Its only headed down right now although the way he speaks and clubs himself with Carlos and Sinner in comparisons with Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic, you get the feeling that he's a fair bit deluded.
About a year ago, the gap looked much smaller between the three and Rune was arguably looking a little ahead of Sinner.

He's a worse player now than then, the other two are better and it's hard to see what is going to change for him to step up. His focus is nowhere near someone like Alcaraz.

About a year ago, the gap looked much smaller between the three and Rune was arguably looking a little ahead of Sinner.

He's a worse player now than then, the other two are better and it's hard to see what is going to change for him to step up. His focus is nowhere near someone like Alcaraz.
He could end up going a similar route to Tsitsipas.

I think with his ego, which is natural for an elite athlete and part of the reason he’s so successful, he just cannot understand why Federer and Nadal command so much more adoration than him. The truth is because they are both humble, respectful and have charisma on the likeable side of the spectrum and they carry themselves well away from the court.

With Djokovic, he just doesn’t have that rizz, he was the anti-hero during the big three era so fans saw him competing against and often beating their man, there’s the off court quackery around vaccines, gluten and whatever else and it just means that people cannot take to him and as arguably the GOAT, he clearly feels he should be on the glory tour part of his career now and he’s still a bit of a pantomime villain and it just brings out the worst of him which only reinforces it.

This is a guy who apparently decided to cut out gluten from his diet after a doctor told him to hold a piece of bread to his stomach and his arm felt weaker. He's clearly madder than a box of frogs but a hell of a tennis player, the greatest of all time (note not the best tennis player of all time - that's RFed) so I am not surprised to see him calling out the crowd. He's an odd character and I don't know how I feel about it all outside of general "meh"

What's up with Jannik. Looked shattered the entire second set

Sinner's on a medical timeout. Looked like they were checking temperature and blood oxygen etc :(

Still looks off. 4 dropshots this game, just trying to shorten rallies as much as possible...

All medvedev has to do here is force him to play, and not gift points. And he's playing great. 80% first serve in over the last two sets :eek:

Hopefully Medvedev wins. Would love an Alcaraz - Novak rematch.

Sinner seems to be recovering. Medvedev also just showing all the mettle of the 90s players...at least he won that set

Sinner is the best in the world on the hard courts but Carlos is just so much more consistent across surfaces. Sinner just doesn't seem that high a level on clay and grass.

Sinner is the best in the world on the hard courts but Carlos is just so much more consistent across surfaces. Sinner just doesn't seem that high a level on clay and grass.
He lost two sets to some illness today...

He lost two sets to some illness today...
My view isn't just based on today though. From whatever I've watched of the two of them, I feel that Sinner is the superior player on hard courts while Carlos is the more consistent one across Slams/surfaces. Imo, Carlos' peak on grass and clay is higher than that of Sinner.

I think that's a little harsh. He had injuries during the clay run and still made the SF, losing to Alcaraz in 5 sets. On grass he won Halle and still made the QF. Medvedev isn't the best on grass but he's still a top player, so no disgrace in losing in 5 sets to him, especially when not feeling 100%.

You have to remember, this 'new' version of Sinner has come about from the back end of last year. I wouldn't be too concerned about him on any surface.

I think that's a little harsh. He had injuries during the clay run and still made the SF, losing to Alcaraz in 5 sets. On grass he won Halle and still made the QF. Medvedev isn't the best on grass but he's still a top player, so no disgrace in losing in 5 sets to him, especially when not feeling 100%.

You have to remember, this 'new' version of Sinner has come about from the back end of last year. I wouldn't be too concerned about him on any surface.
Oh, I'm not concerned about Sinner. He's obviously a top player and going to be up there with Carlos but I do feel that on these two surfaces, he's not as consistent and won't be as Carlos. That's not really a criticism of him given just how good Carlos is. As far as today goes, I know he wasn't well but I think its unlikely that a Novak or Carlos would lose to Medvedev at Wimbledon, even when under the weather/carrying a niggle. I just feel Sinners peak is definitely on hard courts and not grass and clay.

Jasmine Paolini backing up her French Open run, a great chance for her to make consecutive Grand Slam finals.

Huge chance for Vekic and Paolini - though I would expect the winner to come from the other half of the draw and most likely Rybakina.

Carlos gets it done and faces Medvedev next. Carlos/Sinner have had a much harsher draw than Novak for sure.

My view isn't just based on today though. From whatever I've watched of the two of them, I feel that Sinner is the superior player on hard courts while Carlos is the more consistent one across Slams/surfaces. Imo, Carlos' peak on grass and clay is higher than that of Sinner.
I think Alcaraz is just better honestly, regardless of surface. His top level is just higher than Sinner's. The latter is more regular mentally, and generally better strategically/tactically, plus his serve is more reliable these days

Sinner right now only loses to the very best, and because he's not 100% at that, whereas Alcaraz can drop the odd match to Dimitrov or Draper or Jarry. But if they play each other at their best, whatever the surface, Alcaraz wins in 3/5. Except maybe on the very fastest courts

I think Alcaraz is just better honestly, regardless of surface. His top level is just higher than Sinner's. The latter is more regular mentally, and generally better strategically/tactically, plus his serve is more reliable these days

Sinner right now only loses to the very best, and because he's not 100% at that, whereas Alcaraz can drop the odd match to Dimitrov or Draper or Jarry. But if they play each other at their best, whatever the surface, Alcaraz wins in 3/5. Except maybe on the very fastest courts
Yup, pretty much agree with all of that. I do think Sinner will get the better of Carlos more often than not on hard and indoor surfaces.

Have to feel sorry for Centre Court ticket holders today. It was the worse half of the draw already and now they only get one singles match, though potentially a good one.

This half of the men's draw is an absolute joke. Medvedev (who is admittedly useless on grass), Sinner, and Carlos on one side is just too lopsided. They did the same at Roland Garros also with Tsitsipas, Sinner, and Carlos in the same half.