Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge win for anti-vaxxers here to be fair. Goes to show rules don't really matter as long as you have enough money and resources to battle them.

Wtf whats going on? This doesn't reflect well on them at all they're just emboldening anti vaxers the opposite of their intentions I'll assume.
(If its true)
Yep, will fuel Nazi state agenda. It’s all a bit fecked up where both parties managed to come away as total dicks.

I'm seeing double reports. Some say he's being deported, a few saying he will play AO.

Huge win for anti-vaxxers here to be fair.
Yeah, it's kinda annoying that these people constantly get enabled while posing a threat to themselves and the world around them.

Very good - they need to get him of the country as soon as possible. Including a 3 year ban, hopefully!

Hopefully. Going maskless after getting a positive test and mixing with children is just disgusting. It's so irresponsible and inappropriate that you wonder if he's sick in the head. Hope he gets it hard.

Nevertheless, deportation is still the right thing to do. He is antivax, and now has history of mixing in public despite that, and around children too.

Despite their feck up, they should follow through, no matter how ugly it looks to the sheep crowd and flat earth society.

For once we [the UK] aren't the incompetent buffoons in the eyes of the world. For just a single morning. I'll take it.

Wtf whats going on? This doesn't reflect well on them at all they're just emboldening anti vaxers the opposite of their intentions I'll assume.
(If its true)

Not really. As I read it he won the case on border control not following the correct procedures. A technicality basically.

He still diesnt qualify to enter the country under the current rules. They should turf him.

Not really. As I read it he won the case on border control not following the correct procedures. A technicality basically.

He still diesnt qualify to enter the country under the current rules. They should turf him.

He didn't win on a technicality. The government attempted to win the case on technicalities, and withdrew when it became clear they wouldn't work.

Send him to Den Hague and put him on trial for war crimes against humanity.
Come on, he is a covidiot not a war criminal, although he has contributed to the unnecessary death of a few serbs because of his anti-vaccination attitude. So, there you go!

He didn't win on a technicality. The government attempted to win the case on technicalities, and withdrew when it became clear they wouldn't work.
It does appear that the Judge made the ruling based on the fact that Djokovic did not get sufficient time to present his case with the immigration officer.

It does appear that the Judge made the ruling based on the fact that Djokovic did not get sufficient time to present his case with the immigration officer.

They withdrew, so it's speculation as to how it would have played out but this quote (BBC News) from the judge suggests their substance was lacking too:

Judge warns that government approach may be 'too granular'
The government has just begun outlining its response to the seven legal grounds argued by Djokovic's lawyer.
They are denying the grounds of procedural unfairness or unreasonableness.
They're also arguing a different interpretation of the Migration Act and Biosecurity Act. They're rejecting how Djokovic's lawyers have framed it and are arguing other legal principles on how laws can be read.
But the judge warns them that this legal construction isn't necessarily correct, and may be too narrow, particularly in respect to the facts we know about Djokovic's time at the airport.
The government's argument so far is very much framed on defining the legal tests that need to be met - they're trying to question the standards Djokovic's lawyers are using to argue the case.
Essentially, the government is arguing their case through interpretation of legal principles, as opposed to making an argument on the facts.

There is still no clarity on if Novak has been arrested/detained. The police presence could just be because of the high profile nature of the case as well.

I’ll be open and say I’ve never been a fan of Novak and that turned to active dislike following his vaccination stance and then running his super spreader tournament.

But this fiasco reflects poorly on everyone, but at least you can argue the Australian government are actually trying to do something in the best interests if it’s people whereas is just fighting for his personal glory and enrichment. It’s hard to paint this as two sides who have an equally moral position.

Throw in that it looks like Novak was mixing after testing positive and any sympathy should fall away. Even if by the letter of the letter he qualifies I would imagine most people would think that he’s just getting what he deserves.

If Novak only tested positive end of December does that mean until then he wasn’t planning on playing? Also, surely if he knew he would be using that as his exemption he would know people would join the dots date wise?

any sympathy should fall away. Even if by the letter of the letter he qualifies I would imagine most people would think that he’s just getting what he deserves.
Yes, you imagine. The public opinion is not that intelligent.

Irrespective of the outcome of this farce, Djokovic has come out in terrible light imo. If he did actually test positive, then it was extremely irresponsible and maybe even criminal to not only refuse to disclose this on social media and inform those who came in contact with to isolate but also to then be moving around in public for two days following his positive result.

Come on, he is a covidiot not a war criminal, although he has contributed to the unnecessary death of a few serbs because of his anti-vaccination attitude. So, there you go!

He has contributed to the death of a few Serbs?!

Farage seems to think it's a victory for his side. That alone tells you he should be deported (either of them).

Irrespective of the outcome of this farce, Djokovic has come out in terrible light imo. If he did actually test positive, then it was extremely irresponsible and maybe even criminal to not only refuse to disclose this on social media and inform those who came in contact with to isolate but also to then be moving around in public for two days following his positive result.
That’s an issue for Serbia but one that the Aussie government should definitely take into account when evaluating if his presence in the country as a high profile sports star is justified.

I don’t have any confidence that the Serbian authorities will investigate or charge him for it considering how the Serbian President, Michael Govic, has been so quick to defend Novax

He has contributed to the death of a few Serbs?!
More than a few, for sure. Adopting the anti-vaxx, anti-mask, 'COVID is nothing' narrative by an individual followed by so many people will inevitably lead to people dying. There will be thousands of people who will just neglect quarantine, masks, vaccines because of 'respected' celebrities promoting that behavior.

This is pretty hilarious, only Scotty's government can manage to turn a surefire PR win into a farce.

Regardless of what happens with Novaxx, that should ensure a few less votes coming their way this election.

Farage seems to think it's a victory for his side. That alone tells you he should be deported (either of them).
It is a huge victory for the right win and one that will open the doors for similar cases in the future. As long as you are able to fabricate a reason why you don't have to get vaccinated you are good to go. It's 'victory for freedom'.

How conveniently he catches covid 3 weeks before the AO, he clearly knows the rules and how to bend them.

With regards to the case itself it looks like Aussie gov fecked up, they should have denied his visa when he applied for it.

More than a few, for sure. Adopting the anti-vaxx, anti-mask, 'COVID is nothing' narrative by an individual followed by so many people will inevitably lead to people dying. There will be thousands of people who will just neglect quarantine, masks, vaccines because of 'respected' celebrities promoting that behavior.
Exactly.
It's really ironic that many Serbs are still celebrating him. (I know, quite many are also very critical of him.)

I’m seriously confused - he applied for an exemption on the grounds he’d had COVID in the last 6 months - but I didn’t think that was grounds for exemption - so why is he allowed into the Country? Regardless of the way his visa was withdrew he has no legal basis for being there surely?

Exactly.
It's really ironic that many Serbs are still celebrating him. (I know, quite many are also very critical of him.)

Posted this earlier - about their attitudes

My girlfriend is a Serbian Croat. It seems extremely common there for vaccine scepticism. She is (and a geological engineer so not dumb) and it's infuriating. I think the main thing I get from her is that the government care so much about covid but not all the other issues facing them, and that young healthy not fat people don't need a vaccine. Also got accused by her sister of emotionally abusing her and 'gaslighting' over pressuring to get a damned vaccine. It just seems a whole different attitude.

They wear masks though, confusingly.

Perhaps convenient but he was with someone who tested positive just a couple just before he did. His actions next two days were reckless but surely not relevant in terms of Australia.

A lot more likely he just didn't care rather than faked a positive test.

I’m seriously confused - he applied for an exemption on the grounds he’d had COVID in the last 6 months - but I didn’t think that was grounds for exemption - so why is he allowed into the Country? Regardless of the way his visa was withdrew he has no legal basis for being there surely?
He'd been told by Tennis Australia in conjunction with the Victorian government that the exemption was fine. It appears that one certain government sites it also indicated it was fine. No one communicated to him that there was an issue and two people with the same exemption we through fine. Believe his argument in court was that border force didn't follow the process.

A lot of miscommunication and conflicting information from Australia's side and Djokovic simply did and complied what was asked of him.

So having recent CV isn't a reason for medical exemption and he shouldn't have been given a visa/allowed in?

But BF officials mucked up the process upon entry (time, ability to get legal advice, etc) so a judge ruled the initial process invalid?

So the options are (a) try to deny visa again (per reasons in own laws) and deport him (b) let him stay despite rules for anyone else coming in and despite restrictions for all Australians for 1-2 years... everything they've gone through.

If I was Australian and they choose b, I'd be fecking apoplectic.

He'd been told by Tennis Australia in conjunction with the Victorian government that the exemption was fine. It appears that one certain government sites it also indicated it was fine. No one communicated to him that there was an issue and two people with the same exemption we through fine. Believe his argument in court was that border force didn't follow the process.

A lot of miscommunication and conflicting information from Australia's side and Djokovic simply did and complied what was asked of him.

That’s the crucial point but nobody cares about it, really, which is strange.

That's the bit I don't get.

Yes, Tennis Australia appear stupid (and possibly putting the AO over laws and health... tbc) and yes, maybe the process wasn't perfect on entry but I'd assumed any court would say 'that should have been better BUT this is Covid we're talking about and the laws the law"?

Not "we've hammered Australians for c2 years but we'll let this guy go because process wasn't followed".

Don't see why a judge had to choose process or Covid laws.

I get all that’s and it’s fine and dandy - the error isn’t Djokovic’s side. However, does he now legally have a reason to enter the country without being vaccinated? I don’t see what websites or Tennis Australia have to do with anything - the former aren’t final and the latter don’t control borders or declare what the rules for exemptions are. If I want to go to Australia and I’m unvaccinated but have had a COVID infection in the last 6 months would I be able to enter Australia? If the answer to that is no then why is he allowed in?

Status
Not open for further replies.