Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

wr8_utd

:'(
Okay but that’s something they’re discussing only now. This should have been looked into at the time of Novak’s application. And if there were no grounds to grant him a medical exemption, then this should have been communicated to him before he even made his way to Australia.
This I agree with. Like I've said for a long time, Djokovic seems to have been the victim of a lack of proper communication from Tennis Australia. They should have made it clear prior infection is not grounds for entry.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Okay but that’s something they’re discussing only now. This should have been looked into at the time of Novak’s application. And if there were no grounds to grant him a medical exemption, then this should have been communicated to him before he even made his way to Australia.
TA could have helped by making their process align with migration rules. That said Djokovic must travel all the time and he must have a team with experience getting visas so they must know you need to check entry requirements yourself. They must also know that when you apply for a visa you agree to the terms of the visa and then provide any necessary proof when you arrive. It is standard practice.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
I feel the urge to vomit buckets of vomit every time I see Nigel Farage’s face.

ExoduS

TA could have helped by making their process align with migration rules. That said Djokovic must travel all the time and he must have a team with experience getting visas so they must know you need to check entry requirements yourself. They must also know that when you apply for a visa you agree to the terms of the visa and then provide any necessary proof when you arrive. It is standard practice.
He just wants to come to Au and win the tournament for a 10th time. He tried to go around your rules, by following the rules, and a bit of cheating here and there and being stupid/lazy. Fun times. It's better for the tennis if he plays, but it will stink for Au goverment.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If he gets to stay #scottfrommarketing is going to cop it big time. So win win. Or possibly lose lose depending on your perspective(s).

ExoduS

If he wins the case but gets deported anyway... O my, that will be a problem. But if he wins and gets to stay, that can also be a problem. If he loses and has to leave, I think it will be the smallest problem. Things will eventually calm. Us, Djokovic fans will be very, very sad. :( But Australia will be warm and fuzzy and safe from Djokvoic spreading 'rona.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He just wants to come to Au and win the tournament for a 10th time. He tried to go around your rules, by following the rules, and a bit of cheating here and there and being stupid/lazy. Fun times. It's better for the tennis if he plays, but it will stink for Au goverment.
He didn't follow the rules though. He assumed a waiver to enter the competition (and possibly Victoria) was the same as entry requirements to enter the country. I'd guess that his main chance of staying is that border control stuffed up and allowed others in on the basis that didn't work for Djokovic even if their visas have now been cancelled.

It also sounds like if he does get kicked out a 3 year ban is the standard penalty.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Djokovic didn’t follow the rules that he wasn’t aware he’d be asked to have followed once he landed.

Somethink like that.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Djokovic didn’t follow the rules that he wasn’t aware he’d be asked to have followed once he landed.
He should have been aware. My son just came back from the US for a few weeks. We had to research exit and entry requirements for the US, Fiji, Australia and NSW (quarantine). I think if we can do it a multimillionaire can do so far easier. He just assumed entry to the Aus Open assured him of entry to the country.

owlo

He should have been aware. My son just came back from the US for a few weeks. We had to research exit and entry requirements for the US, Fiji, Australia and NSW (quarantine). I think if we can do it a multimillionaire can do so far easier. He just assumed entry to the Aus Open assured him of entry to the country.
Looks like the judge disagrees so far. (According to bbc news anyway) - warning the government their argument is too granular as they aren’t trying to argue the facts.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Looks like the judge disagrees so far. (According to bbc news anyway) - warning the government their argument is too granular as they aren’t trying to argue the facts.
I guess we will see. Of course us mere mortals can't afford to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to get around the law.

If we don't get a judgement today he isn't playing this year apparently as the draw needs to be finalised. Even if he wins they can cancel the visa again on other grounds if they have the balls. Followed by sideshow v2. There will be mass outrage if he is allowed to play. Hopefully pointed at #scottyfrommarketing.

People will also be interested to know if he either got infected again with covid in December or made it up to try to get an exemption. If not he was swanning around Serbia without a mask infecting people against local law. Also interesting to know he used an infection after the deadline for the AO medical board as grounds for entry. This has a long way to run yet.

Last edited:

owlo

I guess we will see. Of course us mere mortals can't afford to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to get around the law.
Yea I’ve a lot of sympathy for you folk out there. Novak seems rather eccentric and according to my brother your federal government is akin to something from South Park, so it muddies it a bit. I don’t know much of the ins and outs, just what I’m reading on the bbc feed, but the government look in trouble. He had a visa, the government didn’t follow guidelines in cancelling it, seems quite cut and dry. (No matter how you think of him)

Do you think theyre stupid enough to cancel his visa if he wins?

owlo

Totally irrelevant but weird that Novak is unvaccinated but Ana [Ivanovic] is a vaccine ambassador. He must have really strong but strange feelings against vaccination for himself.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yea I’ve a lot of sympathy for you folk out there. Novak seems rather eccentric and according to my brother your federal government is akin to something from South Park, so it muddies it a bit. I don’t know much of the ins and outs, just what I’m reading on the bbc feed, but the government look in trouble. He had a visa, the government didn’t follow guidelines in cancelling it, seems quite cut and dry. (No matter how you think of him)

Do you think theyre stupid enough to cancel his visa if he wins?
Except South Park is funny.

I think it remains to be seen if the cancellation will be seen as unjustified.

Plus nobody here cares - we just want him gone. Only anti-vaxxers and Australia-Serbs don't believe he is doing anything other than trying to play the system to facilitate his covodiocy. We have done some very hard yards keeping ourselves safe with NSW now over 95% of adults partially vaccinates and over 93% fully vaccinated. To see some rich entitled nutjob try to swan in while gloating about getting away with his covidiotic fantasies, when we have missed family for years, missed funerals and not seen sick relatives for the last time to keep us all safe, is enraging. Basically we feel he is pissing on us and telling us it is raining, with added woe is me.

I do think they might cancel his visa again on different grounds if he wins as it is fairly standard procedure. That said most people this happens to aren't incredibly rich and able to throw unlimited money at legal challenges. #scottyfrommarketing may just do it anyway if a focus group finds it might get him a vote or 2 in a marginal constituency, unless he can find someone else to throw under the bus in which case his instinct is always to do nothing, the useless cockwomble.

Last edited:

ExoduS

Except South Park is funny.

I think it remains to be seen if the cancellation will be seen as unjustified.

Plus nobody here cares - we just want him gone. Only anti-vaxxers and Australia-Serbs don't believe he is doing anything other than trying to play the system to facilitate his covodiocy. We have done some very hard yards keeping ourselves safe with NSW now over 95% of adults partially vaccinates and over 93% fully vaccinates. To see some rich entitled nutjob try to swan in while gloating about getting away with his covidiotic fantasies, when we have missed family for years, missed funerals and not seen sick relatives for the last time to keep us all safe is enraging. Basically we feel he is pissing on us and telling us it is raining, with added woe is me.
Yeah, not really true. A lot of Australians actually want him to play as well. It is just that they weren't bothered by the case in the very start.

I don't live in Australia but from watching what is happening last week or so there is a side in Australia that is against government overreach.

I'm sure more people want Novak out than in - however he has more support than just Serbs and antivaxers.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah, not really true. A lot of Australians actually want him to play as well. It is just that they weren't bothered by the case in the very start.

I don't live in Australia but from watching what is happening last week or so there is a side in Australia that is against government overreach.

I'm sure more people want Novak out than in - however he has more support than just Serbs and antivaxers.
There is very little issue with government overreach here. We have a very small strange cabal of white supremacists, conspiracy theorists, covidits and assorted other loons who have come together - it makes for the weirdest protest marches. But is is a very small minority. The Libs/Nats got almost wiped out in Western Australia recently for trying to reduce restrictions for example. I'm hoping #scottyfrommarketing will pay the price at the upcoming election and the same goes for #Domicron here in NSW in 2023 who has totally fecked up letting covod rip when everyone knew removing almost all restrictions was going to be a disaster (apart from him).

We treat brown refugees very badly indeed and that is a disgrace but that doesn't equate to any support at all for Djokovic or for the lessening of border security in general. Of course he has fans but far far fewer than before.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Judge seems to stand on djokovic’s side. Hmmm...

ZDwyr

Judge seems to stand on djokovic’s side. Hmmm...
To a degree. He is on Djokovic's side in the sense that he sympathises with him regarding certain situations. He may find that Djokovic was treated poorly and it is unfair on the merits, but that the decision was lawful.

We've hardly heard anything from the Federal Government yet either.

EDIT: Your initial instincts were correct. A win for Djokovic!

Last edited:

owlo

Yea, I see no overreach here simply incompetence.

@ExoduS My girlfriend is a Serbian Croat. It seems extremely common there for vaccine scepticism. She is (and a geological engineer so not dumb) and it's infuriating. I think the main thing I get from her is that the government care so much about covid but not all the other issues facing them, and that young healthy not fat people don't need a vaccine. Also got accused by her sister of emotionally abusing her and 'gaslighting' over pressuring to get a damned vaccine. It just seems a whole different attitude.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Hilariously incompetent under pressure from #scottyfrommarketing. If they hadn't fecked up by getting it wrong in the first place they had the grounds to deny entry.

Hopefully he doubles down and they cancel the visa again so the hilarity can continue. Doubt he has the stones for it mind, when not dealing with penniless VIPS.

Will be interesting to see if protests at the open occur. He might luck out if people direct their ire at #scottyfrommarketing.

Hopefully they will get their ducks in a line for next year so he can't get in unvaccinated if nothing else. Uf we are lucky we will have a new, less incompetent, federal government by then.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Waiting for aussies on here to claim that even the judge is wrong or clueless about the the guidelines set by the Govt/AO and Djokovic is to be blamed. :wenger:

Would be funny if Djoko wins the case but then gets banned for 3 years. :lol:

wr8_utd

:'(
So Djoko either gets to play or he's going to never play AO again if Australia goes with canceling his visa again.

crappycraperson

Scout
So Djoko either gets to play or he's going to never play AO again if Australia goes with canceling his visa again.
I think they will cancel since they detained and deported the other player. Otherwise she might as well also come back.

Only way for then to get a 'win' now is to throw him out by any means.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Scotty from marketing takes another L

There goes his "tough on borders" stance (which has been absent during Covid)

Doracle

Waiting for aussies on here to claim that even the judge is wrong or clueless about the the guidelines set by the Govt/AO and Djokovic is to be blamed. :wenger:

There doesn’t appear to have been a decision made in relation to whether the visa could have been cancelled. Novak seems to have won the decision based on an appropriate process not having been followed. I guess that they will now need to be absolutely sure that they have grounds to do so if they are going to revoke the visa again.

freeurmind

weak willed
Hate to say but agree with the judge here. Novak did what he was asked and then Australia tried to change things after the public outcry. The fact that other players with the same exemption were allowed in proves this.
Be interesting to see if they decide to cancel his visa anyway and how the ATP would react to arguably the greatest tennis player ever being banned from the aussie Open if that happens.

crappycraperson

Scout
There doesn’t appear to have been a decision made in relation to whether the visa could have been cancelled. Novak seems to have won the decision based on an appropriate process not having been followed. I guess that they will now need to be absolutely sure that they have grounds to do so if they are going to revoke the visa again.
That's not what I understood. His previous visa and entry is valid per the judge. Only way he gets deported now of the immigration minister exercises personal power to cancel the visa which doesn't even require any specific cause and results in auto ban of 3 years from entering Oz.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I think they could have and should have cancelled his visa but the incompetence, including incorrectly letting others in on the AO's vaiver, swayed the judge. I'm now hoping for mass protest at the Open although I doubt much will happen.

So many people are outraged I'm hoping #scottyfrommarketing cops it and we keep Djokovic out unless he vaccinates by next year.

Revan

Assumptionman
Me too. But that’s a sort of natural self-loathing associated with spending my time arguing about inane shite on an Internet forum.

Yours is probably more in the realm of a crazed stalker who finds out where the object of their desires lives and then masturbates into their letter box in the hope that they’ll touch your seed and thus you’ll have a sticky bond that cannot be broken by things like science or rational thought.

Two sides of the same coin, really.
:lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That's not what I understood. His previous visa and entry is valid per the judge. Only way he gets deported now of the immigration minister exercises personal power to cancel the visa which doesn't even require any specific cause and results in auto ban of 3 years from entering Oz.
Doubt they have the balls to do it but I'd be happy if they did.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Now the libs here have a tough choice either be tough on borders and kick out an anti vaxxer or continue pandering to anti vaxxers and fail once again at being tough on borders.

Scotty from marketing might need to consult Jenny again about what to do

red4ever 79

Let's hope the fans stay away from the event in light of this. I have a niece in Australia and my brother hasnt been able to see his daughter in a very long time despite having all the jabs and following the guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.