Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not what I understood. His previous visa and entry is valid per the judge. Only way he gets deported now of the immigration minister exercises personal power to cancel the visa which doesn't even require any specific cause and results in auto ban of 3 years from entering Oz.

Yep, that was my read. They surely won't ban him for 3 years will they?

Will the other players try to go back now? Shaping like a catastrofeck for the aussie gov.

Hasn’t it basically been thrown out because the government officials didn’t follow the correct process? It’s not that they didn’t have the right to cancel the visa but that they didn’t do it correctly?

Hasn’t it basically been thrown out because the government officials didn’t follow the correct process? It’s not that they didn’t have the right to cancel the visa but that they didn’t do it correctly?
If that was the case then it would require re litigation of the original visa and exemption. I believe some one on twitter pointed out that Victoria website still lists prior infection in 6 months as valid exemption. So I think his entry and stay has been ruled lawful.

Ruling does make sense. The exemption shouldn't have counted but the inconsistent and and vague guidelines from the parties involved and lack of guidance to Novak means there wasn't anything he could do.

Exercising the ministerial discretion would look vindictive and they’ve already lost the PR win. It would be pointless. The public won’t see that as any more than a worse version of what they already had.

Exercising the ministerial discretion would look vindictive and they’ve already lost the PR win. It would be pointless. The public won’t see that as any more than a worse version of what they already had.

Nah a lot of Aussies want him gone. They see him as a rich guy wasting time and bending the rules. Not saying it's a majority, but it's very significant.

The other point in all of this is that for all that people are saying Djokovic has won and been vindicated, it rather ignores that he still either ignored having Covid and risked infecting multiple people after his positive test or has somehow had a positive test recorded against his name in an effort to gain the system. The legal judgment may have gone his way but I don’t see moral judgement going likewise, not that he’ll care.

To a degree. He is on Djokovic's side in the sense that he sympathises with him regarding certain situations. He may find that Djokovic was treated poorly and it is unfair on the merits, but that the decision was lawful.

We've hardly heard anything from the Federal Government yet either.

EDIT: Your initial instincts were correct. A win for Djokovic!

He must feel grand and vindicated. Some very angurry people about in here.

Djokovic's interview very conveniently states that he caught Covid on 16th December and tested negative again on the 22nd.

Now the libs here have a tough choice either be tough on borders and kick out an anti vaxxer or continue pandering to anti vaxxers and fail once again at being tough on borders.

Scotty from marketing might need to consult Jenny again about what to do

She's just popped down to the shops to get some rapid antigen tests. The country awaits her return.

Djokovic's interview very conveniently states that he caught Covid on 16th December and tested negative again on the 22nd.
Thats expected btw. Around 5 days after first symptoms you usually do not test positive, even though you still may be sick.

So if the immigration minister decides to step in when can we expect that to happen ?

So if the immigration minister decides to step in when can we expect that to happen ?
I expect sometime tomorrow.

But there would be a lot of meetings going on between scotty from marketing, Alex Hawke and Karen Andrews right now about how bad any choice will make them look.

So what’s the punishment for not following isolation rules in Serbia :wenger:

I hope the guy never gets a round of applause at any grand slam ever again. It’s one thing to have anti vaccine views, but to knowingly be positive for covid and go to events like he did is unforgivable.

Strange judgement by the judge.
Is he unaware of what Australians needed to go through in the last years?

Anyway, what happens if a covidiot wins the AU open?

If that was the case then it would require re litigation of the original visa and exemption. I believe some one on twitter pointed out that Victoria website still lists prior infection in 6 months as valid exemption. So I think his entry and stay has been ruled lawful.

There’s no debate here. The decision was ruled unlawful because he was told he’d be given until 830am to get legal input and then wasn’t given that time. No decision was made on any other issue. I don’t know why they can’t now reconsider it and do it properly but that doesn’t seem to be an option.

I expect sometime tomorrow.

But there would be a lot of meetings going on between scotty from marketing, Alex Hawke and Karen Andrews right now about how bad any choice will make them look.
Actually scratch that the minster only has 4 hours according to The Age.

Novak’s positive test certificate appears to confirm the result was obtained at 8pm on 16 December by the way. Hard to see any justification why he was out and about with kids on 17 December and at a photoshoot on 18 December. Hope someone asks him questions about this at some stage.

Novak’s positive test certificate appears to confirm the result was obtained at 8pm on 16 December by the way. Hard to see any justification why he was out and about with kids on 17 December and at a photoshoot on 18 December. Hope someone asks him questions about this at some stage.
Spot on. He got it on the night of the 16th so his media appearance for L'Equipe on the 18th is just unexplainable and cannot be excused.

Yeah, not really true. A lot of Australians actually want him to play as well. It is just that they weren't bothered by the case in the very start.

I don't live in Australia but from watching what is happening last week or so there is a side in Australia that is against government overreach.

I'm sure more people want Novak out than in - however he has more support than just Serbs and antivaxers.

Want him to play so much they weren't even bothered about his case until it became a chance to stick fingers up at the government

Novak also confirmed that he does not suffer from any medical conditions that would give him an exemption.

He’s sick in the head. What a twisted psychopath.
He's unhealthily obsessed with Novak and hates him, but he does have a point. Given that he was Covid positive on the 16th, he really should not have been out in public on the 17th and 18th.

So whats gonna happen now ? Will he play or not?
We'll find out if the Immigration Minister decides to go ahead with cancelling his visa or not. Given that the initial verdict appears to have been on the basis of "procedural fairness", I think there's a chance they just might.

Status
Not open for further replies.