Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
It's completely bizzare that Djokovic the anti vaxxer is becoming the rallying cry for all the covidiots. Unfortunately Serbians are caught up in this because of their national pride.

ExoduS

At this point this seems like it is over. They are kicking people/players out who already got in. What I still don't understand if the rules were not followed for those people or if rules were changed. He wont play AO 2022. As a tennis fan of Novak Djokovic I am very dissapointed.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
As far as we know he’s not infected. What’s your point?
It’s just interesting to me that the actual risk is that he might get infected by another Australian during his stay in Melbourne.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Don't use the Lord's name in vain.
Jesus never claims that he is the Lord, at least not in the synoptic gospels. Only John’s gospel mentions it but as we all know the author of John was trying to make a theological, not historical point, thus developing a distinct, high christology.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s just interesting to me that the actual risk is that he might get infected by another Australian during his stay in Melbourne.
The reason the rule exists is because unvaccinated people in general are a higher risk to themselves and a higher risk to others. Why should someone come into the country and take up vital medical resources?

The risk in letting Djokovic in is that you are setting a precedent that the rule doesn’t apply to everyone equally. Why should he get special treatment because he’s a tennis star?

saivet

At this point this seems like it is over. They are kicking people/players out who already got in. What I still don't understand if the rules were not followed for those people or if rules were changed. He wont play AO 2022. As a tennis fan of Novak Djokovic I am very dissapointed.
Just listened to the latest NCR pod on it and it seems like a feck up from Tennis Australia primarily. The other player and official are said to have had PCR test results confirming they had Covid and multiple doctors references where as it seems Djokovic only had a reference from one doctor alongside with the letter Tennis Australia provided him with.

Basically the rules probably weren't followed properly with the other two as they had more substantive evidence of a previous infection and no media attention.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
That's the risk every person who doesn't want to get vaccinated takes. Whether he gets that in Australia or somewhere else is immaterial.
But can we say that right now Djokovic does not present a health risk to Australians?

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Just listened to the latest NCR pod on it and it seems like a feck up from Tennis Australia primarily. The other player and official are said to have had PCR test results confirming they had Covid and multiple doctors references where as it seems Djokovic only had a reference from one doctor alongside with the letter Tennis Australia provided him with.

Basically the rules probably weren't followed properly with the other two as they had more substantive evidence of a previous infection and no media attention.
What about Renata Voráčová? Did she also have only one reference?

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
The reason the rule exists is because unvaccinated people in general are a higher risk to themselves and a higher risk to others. Why should someone come into the country and take up vital medical resources?

The risk in letting Djokovic in is that you are setting a precedent that the rule doesn’t apply to everyone equally. Why should he get special treatment because he’s a tennis star?
Yes, I agree re. the concern for taking up medical resources.

I don’t think this has anything to do with the possibility of setting a negative precedent as Djokovic did absolutely nothing unlawful (as far as we know at the moment). If on Monday the courts prove that he did, then of course he should face all the consequences i.e. deportation, three year travel ban etc.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The risk to one individual matters way less than the risk to many. The issue here isn’t about his health as an individual it’s about him being a link in a chain of infections that ends up making many people sick.

As someone who has a track record of running his very own super spreader event very early in the pandemic that risk is higher than most.

Rooney24

The risk to one individual matters way less than the risk to many. The issue here isn’t about his health as an individual it’s about him being a link in a chain of infections that ends up making many people sick.

As someone who has a track record of running his very own super spreader event very early in the pandemic that risk is higher than most.
Spot on. And Im sure @Mihajlovic knows this perfectly well.

saivet

Just took a few questions of note in the article (using google translate)
Has your exception been based on running a covid in the last six months?
Yes. But I had it before Christmas, at the last minute. Plus I had some medical indications. So I met all the criteria set by the Australian Union.

Can you tell me why you didn't get vaccinated?
I was busy. I planned it for weeks after the season and unfortunately ... Well, unfortunately now I actually caught a covid at that time. And there was no room for vaccinations, because I was to fly to Australia next week.

So you are not an opponent of vaccination?
No no. I'm not. Like Djokovic, I'm not completely against vaccination. As I say, our cases are very different.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Jesus never claims that he is the Lord, at least not in the synoptic gospels. Only John’s gospel mentions it but as we all know the author of John was trying to make a theological, not historical point, thus developing a distinct, high christology.
What else does he mean when he says he is the son of man?

ExoduS

What is happening to Renata Voracova is beyond f**ked. She is basically a coleteral so Novak's defense has no ground to gain entry. I feel so sorry for her.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Even setting aside Djokovic, Australia's ridiculous hardline stance towards some of the immigrants need to be highlighted here.
Most people don't have visas cancelled on arrival because we comply with requirements but most countries cancel visas on arrival on a daily basis for people who don't e.g. can't provide paperwork for things they claim on their visa application, suspicion they are planning to work on a tourist visa or undeclared criminal.convictions. There is an Australian program about it.

And I think you are referring to Australia's treatment of refugees which is a disgrace. They have taken a decision to make life for anyone applying for refugee status a permanent misery to discourage anyone from arriving by boat from Indonesia.

Last edited:

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

Just took a few questions of note in the article (using google translate)
But I thought Border officers diligently check every single piece of document for hours to re-litigate the visa again. Regardless of Novax fiasco, it is extremely poor how they have treated these players now. No major sporting tournament is held without sporting authorities consulting with the Govt. It could not have been hard to just make a single decision, communicate it early and then stick with it. Instead nonsensical leaks now about letters written between different parties etc.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
a) You need to get clued up, it doesn't matter how long ago he had it, he still retains a high level of immunity against it. b) it should be, having natural immunity should be a valid reason to be allowed in without vaccination, if not, then you aren't following the science.
A) No. Live vaccination antibodies drop over time aszthey do after vaccination assuming they occurred in the first place, as immunity from infection is far more variable.

B) I suggest you get elected to the Australian parliament if you don't like our laws. Past infection won't get an Aussie home without a 14 day stay in a quarantine hotel. It won't even get you over the border from NSW to Qld. It is possible this might change once we get kids vaccinated and the 3rd shot applied to the 90%+ of adults who have had 2 x shots already but I hope not If so it is a long way off as extra shots to maintain active antibodies will be required until the world is vaccinated and we enter an endemic state. Not demanding vaccination for all followed by a third shot simply accelerates infection rates. The main thing we want to prevent. So yes. We are following the science and why past infection isn't a valid reason for entry to Australia (or NZ for that matter I believe).

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
But I thought Border officers diligently check every single piece of document for hours to re-litigate the visa again. Regardless of Novax fiasco, it is extremely poor how they have treated these players now. No major sporting tournament is held without sporting authorities consulting with the Govt. It could not have been hard to just make a single decision, communicate it early and then stick with it. Instead nonsensical leaks now about letters written between different parties etc.
This is how our shambles of a federal government operates. They hate Victoria for being a Labor state and for defying them with lockdowns. Their default approach is to say it is the states problem even when federal responsibility is involved. They have done this repeatedly during the pandemic. The suprise is that Victoria didn't expect it and that double check that state and federal entry requirements aligned.

That said I'm happy unvaccinated people are being removed and revealed as anti-vaxxers and that it reflects badly on #scottyfrommatketing in an election year.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Rules weren't enforced and certainly haven't been changed. Federal border control messed up letting them in in the first place and now they look like they did a political backflip. #scottyfrommarketing brings his chaos yet again.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Sounds like TA dropped a bollock with incorrect advice to players.

The Guardian said:
Leaked documents to the Herald Sun suggested Tennis Australia had told players that a recent Covid-19 infection would be a reason for medical exemption from needing to be vaccinated, despite the federal government telling Tennis Australia that was not the case.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Are you saying the general public in Australia is not able to get tested every day?
Not a chance. Demand for PCR tests is approx double the available capacity and rapid tests are a) expensive and b) almost impossible to get thanks to #scottyfrommarketing not listening to advice 6+ months ago and wanting his mates to maximise profits by only making them commercially available (at up to $30 per test).

And no, the vaccine is not perfectly safe. Ask Chardy.
safer by many orders of magnitude than not getting vaccinated especially as it isn't only an individual choice.

coolredwine

lameredboots
a) You need to get clued up, it doesn't matter how long ago he had it, he still retains a high level of immunity against it. b) it should be, having natural immunity should be a valid reason to be allowed in without vaccination, if not, then you aren't following the science.
Where is this coming from? People are getting re-infected now (including people who have tested positive once and received their 1-2 vaccines). His high level of immunity - whatever imaginary number that is - doesn't mean he will not be re-infected and then won't spread it further.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Tennis Australia effed up big time as did the government if they’re kicking people out after a week being allowed in:

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/ryi24t

I wish these players would have just gotten the vaccine but the way Tennis Australia mislead the players is moronic. The Australian government has every right to deny people entry based on the paperwork but the way the players have been treated during all of this is inexcusable

RooneyLegend

Where is this coming from? People are getting re-infected now (including people who have tested positive once and received their 1-2 vaccines). His high level of immunity - whatever imaginary number that is - doesn't mean he will not be re-infected and then won't spread it further.
He's no more likely to get it and spread it than the vaccinated people which makes him being banned ridiculous.

ExoduS

He's no more likely to get it and spread it than the vaccinated people which makes him being banned ridiculous.
It was never about that. It is about conforming and sending the message. Vaccine was supposed to get us out of this pandemic but the rollout and the boosters seem to be lagging behind the variants that keep popping up. Also people blame unvaccinated for the pandemic still being around but I don't buy that. Half of my company had COVID in December and we are all vaccianted. Some even ended up in the hospital. Anyone who rejects the vaccine is treated as a selfish person who doesn't want to participate in this wonderful World. Djokovic went crazy before COVID. He claimed he cried for 2/3 days because he had to have an elbow surgery and that he felt immense "guilt" because he couldn't heal naturally. All those statements make him look as a crazy antivax lunatic, however he is a person that rejects modern medicine, but uses it when it serves him. Not a great look. There is nothing effing natural about his profession. Let's hit the ball over the net with amazingly engineering racquets. I swear, I want to take his racuqet and tell him to find one in the woods.

Look, I am a fan, and I objectively assessed the situation. Djokovic is playing a dangerous game and everything that is happening to him it self caused. Yes, Australian tennis/goverment f***ed up, but Djokovic did not help them at all. Not one bit. Blasted on Instagram that he got an exemption and then pissed of all Australians: Those that got vaccinated and those that got vaccinated but did not want to get vaccinated. The only group he didn't piss off are those that refuse vaccination. As a public figure he needs to understand that he has responsibilities that are far greater that one of the average person.

Where I finally stopped being on Djokovic side is when I realized that his vaccine status was a "secret" entire 2021, and once he got Visa to Australia he told entire World that he is not vaccinated. Dude... What are you fecking doing.

He tried to sneak into Australia, some Australians actually tried to give him a solid and let him play, but he couldn't help himself and keep his mouth shut. He is paying greatly for it. I hope he learns a valuable lesson. He is arguably the best tennis player ever and this is the second slam he will miss because he couldn't either shut up or keep his emotions in check.

As a fan, I will not support his self-sabotaging actions. He ruined my entire week as I can't focus on anything because I am following this situation. :)

Rooney24

Tennis star Novak Djokovic had a vaccine exemption to enter Australia due to a recent Covid infection, his lawyers say in court documents.

"The date of the first positive Covid PCR test was recorded on 16 December 2021," they said.
Djokovic was denied entry to Australia after landing in Melbourne this week to play in the Australian Open.

He is currently in immigration detention with a court challenge due on Monday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59920379

wr8_utd

:'(
So Novak states that he tested positive on 16th December, the same day he was attending an event organized by the Serbian Postal Service to give him a stamp bearing his name/face etc where, he was obviously not masked and shaking hands with people. He even posted about this event on his Instagram on the 17th of December, a day after he allegedly tested positive and yet he never chose to announce that he tested positive and everyone that met him at this event should isolate and get themselves tested? Sounds very unbelievable.

Rooney24

So Novak states that he tested positive on 16th December, the same day he was attending an event organized by the Serbian Postal Service to give him a stamp bearing his name/face etc where, he was obviously not masked and shaking hands with people. He even posted about this event on his Instagram on the 17th of December, a day after he allegedly tested positive and yet he never chose to announce that he tested positive and everyone that met him at this event should isolate and get themselves tested? Sounds very unbelievable.
It should also be very simple to prove one way or the other. I got Covid a 2 or 3 days after he claims he did. I have a recovery certificate.

He should have the same and easily will be able to produce it if it’s true. Which you know, is what he should have did when he landed in Melbourne.

wr8_utd

:'(
It should also be very simple to prove one way or the other. I got Covid a 2 or 3 days after he claims he did. I have a recovery certificate.

He should have the same and easily will be able to produce it if it’s true. Which you know, is what he should have did when he landed in Melbourne.
He also claims he submitted his visa application on 30th November under the exemption? Also, the deadline for applying for a medical exemption was 10th December and he claims to have caught it on the 16th? There is something very dodgy in the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.