Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
As a Djokovic fan, this day sucks. Wow, at this point he does not appear only as someone who is rejecting a vaccine, but potentially a liar. At this point it seems like he needs to hit the rock bottom and then rise again. People love that. Other path is that he will be one of the most hated people. He was already hated by many, but up until this point there were no solid grounds. Lying to health official and immigration official of another sovereign country is a serious offense.
Yeah it’s not looking good. Let’s see what happens. If he gets deported now I doubt he’ll ever return to Australia.

Rooney24

Yeah it’s not looking good. Let’s see what happens. If he gets deported now I doubt he’ll ever return to Australia.
If he gets deported now because it turns out he has lied, it shouldnt be his choice to return or not, he should be banned.

Infra-red

If he is shown to have been dishonest or deceptive during his visa application, he could face a lengthy ban from the country anyway (assuming Aussi immigration rules are broadly similar to our own - our immigration system is largely based on their points-based system).

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
If he is shown to have been dishonest or deceptive during his visa application, he could face a lengthy ban from the country anyway (assuming Aussi immigration rules are broadly similar to our own - our immigration system is largely based on their points-based system).
If he has, not only should he receive a lengthy ban from Australia I think the ATP should give him a ban(if possible).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
As a Djokovic fan, this day sucks. Wow, at this point he does not appear only as someone who is rejecting a vaccine, but potentially a liar. At this point it seems like he needs to hit the rock bottom and then rise again. People love that. Other path is that he will be one of the most hated people. He was already hated by many, but up until this point there were no solid grounds. Lying to health official and immigration official of another sovereign country is a serious offense.
Sadly, his impending GOAT status would be severely tarnished by this and the various other controversies he's gotten himself involved with over the past few years, which is unfortunate, since his Tennis is impeccable.

Last edited:

Denis79

If he gets deported now because it turns out he has lied, it shouldnt be his choice to return or not, he should be banned.
He will be excluded for future visa applications for a prolonged time, likely years. Not sure how long the penalty is though but I know there is one. If he did apply under false pretences it's likely that he will never play the Australian Open again.

Balljy

If New York keeps there Covid vaccine restrictions till the us open, would he only be able to play if the roof of the main court is open
He wouldn't be allowed there at the moment anyway. Non US visitors have to be fully vaccinated or have had an infection in the last 90 days - I guess he could get Covid again in late summer.

Denis79

He wouldn't be allowed there at the moment anyway. Non US visitors have to be fully vaccinated or have had an infection in the last 90 days - I guess he could get Covid again in late summer.
Yeah he can stay here at home and clean the water with good thoughts.

wr8_utd

:'(

This entire thread is damning. It's not looking good for Novak. He had a L'Equipe photoshoot, maskless, on 18th December. Two days after he tested positive. He also posed for a photo with a fan in Belgrade on the 25th.

saivet

This entire thread is damning. It's not looking good for Novak. He had a L'Equipe photoshoot, maskless, on 18th December. Two days after he tested positive. He also posed for a photo with a fan in Belgrade on the 25th.
He clearly doesn't care about the rules then. You should be isolating upon awaiting a result but it's possible that he wasn't notified of his positive result until late on the 18th Dec.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
He clearly doesn't care about the rules then. You should be isolating upon awaiting a result but it's possible that he wasn't notified of his positive result until late on the 18th Dec.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

The best thing he could do is get on a plane and leave. At this rate he’s going to get a 3 year ban from the country and reduce his chances of getting 21 by >25%.

wr8_utd

Even if we assume he got his result on the 18th, which is unlikely given his lawyers said he was positive on the 16th. But, even if we accept that, why was he taking photos with a fan in Belgrade on the 25th? There's just too many such instances coming to light.

wr8_utd

The best thing he could do is get on a plane and leave. At this rate he’s going to get a 3 year ban from the country and reduce his chances of getting 21 by >25%.
Yup. And now that these discrepancies are even making mainstream media like Sky and even L'Equipe, it's something the court will surely know.

MattofManchester

I'm confused now. The other two who received exemptions have both been sent home.

How is Novak hoping to appeal that? That he should get a special personal exemption? Is that not asking for special treatment?
If they let him play, that'll be an even bigger farce.

Should have just went home because it's getting a bit out of hand now.

However, his sheep seem to still think he's innocent.
I'd like to know where this PCR test is and who issued it, as it's probably fake.
Because the alternative is Novak deliberately traveling through the public with a Covid infection, so deliberately endangering others.

Rajma

If true, that’s not good. Either he faked Covid or was hanging around against the isolation rules with Covid.

Brophs

The One and Only
This tweet sums up where I am. Obviously actions have consequences, but even if all of this is of his own making, he's on his own, away from his family and team, probably utterly cornered.

ZDwyr

So he either faked it (and if so, should be banned from entering Australia for 3 years according to Border Force rules) or knowingly interacted with children and others while infected with COVID? Wow. Classy guy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They should strip him of all his AO titles. It’s the only solution here.

wr8_utd

I'm confused now. The other two who received exemptions have both been sent home.

How is Novak hoping to appeal that? That he should get a special personal exemption? Is that not asking for special treatment?
If they let him play, that'll be an even bigger farce.

Should have just went home because it's getting a bit out of hand now.

However, his sheep seem to still think he's innocent.
I'd like to know where this PCR test is and who issued it, as it's probably fake.
Because the alternative is Novak deliberately traveling through the public with a Covid infection, so deliberately endangering others.
If I'm not mistaken, they both went home voluntarily. They probably thought it's not a case worth fighting? I think his team needs to work on putting out some sort of information about him being in public on the 16th, 18th and 25th because right now, that really seems to portray as someone who is either lying about his infection or is just incredibly stupid and reckless and endangers other people's lives.
So he either faked it (and if so, should be banned from entering Australia for 3 years according to Border Force rules) or knowingly interacted with children and others while infected with COVID? Wow. Classy guy.
We shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet but it does seem to appear that way as of now. His team needs to come out and address these allegations.

wr8_utd

This tweet sums up where I am. Obviously actions have consequences, but even if all of this is of his own making, he's on his own, away from his family and team, probably utterly cornered.
He's not completely alone to be honest. He's got his mobile so he can communicate with his team/legal team etc. He's just living alone for 3 days in a detention center because his visa was cancelled. I do feel he's been unfortunate because it does look like Tennis Australia also did goof up but I really don't think he's been treated inhumanely as his fans would have you believe. And if he indeed did have COVID and was out and about meeting people, maskless, I think he'll lose whatever sympathy he might have garnered as well.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
He's not completely alone to be honest. He's got his mobile so he can communicate with his team/legal team etc. He's just living alone for 3 days in a detention center because his visa was cancelled. I do feel he's been unfortunate because it does look like Tennis Australia also did goof up but I really don't think he's been treated inhumanely as his fans would have you believe. And if he indeed did have COVID and was out and about meeting people, maskless, I think he'll lose whatever sympathy he might have garnered as well.
Serbian Prime Minister Ana Brnabic said: "We managed to agree that he gets gluten-free food delivered, to get exercise equipment, he has been given a laptop, a SIM card so that he can be in contact with his family."

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Given his approach to COVID, which he quite clearly doesn’t believe to be a serious issue, I do entertain the possibility of him testing positive and then just going about his life as usual.

There must be something in the water in these parts of Europe because he is literally worshipped in Poland for this right now. If it turns out he just went around with COVID he’s just going to be an even bigger hero.

He has tarnished his reputation worldwide to a significant extent though and the anti-vax population that will appreciate him for it is rather small globally (10% tops?). I don’t think he’s impressing anyone else.

Infra-red

Given his approach to COVID, which he quite clearly doesn’t believe to be a serious issue, I do entertain the possibility of him testing positive and then just going about his life as usual.

There must be something in the water in these parts of Europe because he is literally worshipped in Poland for this right now. If it turns out he just went around with COVID he’s just going to be an even bigger hero.

He has tarnished his reputation worldwide to a significant extent though and the anti-vax population that will appreciate him for it is rather small globally (10% tops?). I don’t think he’s impressing anyone else.
He's pretty good at hitting balls over nets. That aside, he appears to be a complete moron.

If I were him I'd be too embarrassed to continue this nonsense a moment longer - one can only assume that he's very poorly advised or else he'd have quietly slunk out of Australia on the first available flight, in the hope that everyone just forgot about this sorry affair.

The longer this goes on, the more that will come out about his behaviour in the past three weeks and the worse he will look.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Let's hope he's lied about the timing of his covid as for him to be out and about after testing positive would be utterly pathetic and callous.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yep, I think he was misled by the Australian Tennis Association. Whether they did that because they didn't hear the advice or they heard it and decided that no one would actually send him away - I don't know. I'm cynical enough to believe it was deliberate and that's why their boss is proud of what they did:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...believable-job-as-djokovic-visa-saga-drags-on

Of course the interesting thing about the timeline is that with a positive test date of the 16th, he was too late to apply to the AO for a medical exemption officially. But also, it may well be correct to say that he subsequently wasn't allowed to get a vaccination - due to a standard sort of 28 day hold on having a jab post new infection. Maybe he also claims he had an appointment for a J&J on the same day but couldn't attend :smirk: After all, he was busy being presented with a new stamp and meeting kids that week, so maybe it was going to be a big week for him. I'm sure his lawyers are working on the evidence trail.
Deliberate? Why on earth would would Tennis Australia want this shit show? They should have checked their requirements for entry to the open matched border requirements to avoid the possibility of this chaos but the visa canvmcellation was correct. Djokovich is a multi-millionaire with a cast of flunkies to check this stuff so I have zero sympathy for him being treated just like everyone else, who did the hard yards to keep us safe from covid and anti-vaxx nut jobs like Djokovich.

When he had covid is irrelevant as it isn't grounds for a medical exemption to vaccination for entry purposes. It isn't for Australian citizens much less non-citizens/permanent residents.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Let's hope he's lied about the timing of his covid as for him to be out and about after testing positive would be utterly pathetic and callous.
The other rumor going round is that he didn't actually have covid but someone falsely registered his infection so he could get the AO exemption. Either way it makes him seem even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.