Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
No idea on her or the other cases but I do wonder if TA didn't say a positive test in the last 6 months would be an exemption, maybe some of these players/officials would have been vaccinated instead.
No one is above the law. Not even that thick cnut, covidiot Renata Voráčová. She should have got the vaccine, instead of trying to cheat her way into the tournament.

ZDwyr

Are you saying the general public in Australia is not able to get tested every day?

And no, the vaccine is not perfectly safe. Ask Chardy.

And yes, for what it’s worth, I am double vaccinated.
Correct. There's been a short supply of rapid antigen tests across the country and many people have been turned away at PCR testing because they are unable to test everyone.

It's safe.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Are you saying the general public in Australia is not able to get tested every day?
Mate our PCR test lines are hours long and our Federal Government decided that corporate donors selling RA tests at high is more important then giving them out for free to Aussies.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Correct. There's been a short supply of rapid antigen tests across the country and many people have been turned away at PCR testing because they are unable to test everyone.

It's safe.
Well if there’s a short supply of tests in the country, how would Djokovic be able to test every day?

Rajma

What a farce, I would say if players were lead to believe from official gov agencies through AO that recent infections are good for exemptions (which they have actually granted and other players were waved through the border) than they have thrown players under the bus as otherwise they might have taken a vaccine instead knowing that exemption won’t be granted. Tournament basically lost all its integrity before it has even started.

Brophs

The One and Only
IF Djokovic was led to believe by TA/Tiley that a Covid positive within 6 months would suffice and IF he actually has been Covid positive in that time, then I have some sympathy for him. I don’t think it’s especially unreasonable to expect TA/Craig Tiley to give accurate, up-to-date guidance and for him to rely upon that without necessarily questioning its veracity. But that’s where my sympathies stop. If the Australian state/government has mandated entry requirements and he hasn’t met those - regardless of whether a few other players have snuck through - then he has no business being in the country, even if he’s only there because of the incorrect advice from TA/Craig Tiley. His argument lies with them for misleading them, not the Australian state for refusing to honour the promise TA/Craig Tiley were seemingly never entitled to make, either to him or others. And no amount of others who have been allowed through, presumably in error, remedies that.

wr8_utd

:'(
What a farce, I would say if players were lead to believe from official gov agencies through AO that recent infections are good for exemptions (which they have actually granted and other players were waved through the border) than they have thrown players under the bus as otherwise they might have taken a vaccine instead knowing that exemption won’t be granted. Tournament basically lost all its integrity before it has even started.
Maybe the other 2-3 players would have then taken vaccines. Djokovic? No chance.

wr8_utd

IF Djokovic was led to believe by TA/Tiley that a Covid positive within 6 months would suffice and IF he actually has been Covid positive in that time, then I have some sympathy for him. I don’t think it’s especially unreasonable to expect TA/Craig Tiley to give accurate, up-to-date guidance and for him to rely upon that without necessarily questioning its veracity. But that’s where my sympathies stop. If the Australian state/government has mandated entry requirements and he hasn’t met those - regardless of whether a few other players have snuck through - then he has no business being in the country, even if he’s only there because of the incorrect advice from TA/Craig Tiley. His argument lies with them for misleading them, not the Australian state for refusing to honour the promise TA/Craig Tiley were seemingly never entitled to make, either to him or others. And no amount of others who have been allowed through, presumably in error, remedies that.
I do believe that Djokovic may have been mislead by Tiley/TA even though the latter was clearly informed that an infection is not grounds for exemption. However, Djokovic only has himself to blame. We can absolutely respect his decision, however brainless, to not take a vaccine but he also has to respect the decision and rules of any country that denies him entry.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Here is how it has gone as far as I know.

TA/Tiley said its all good come in
The Victorian state government said if you are allowed in you have an exception
The Feds said you are allowed in during 2021 but now not allowed in because its a wedge issue and scotty needs the votes, plus Novak came in with just 1 piece of paper and our border control is quite strict

wr8_utd

ABC News reported on Friday the Australian Border Force (ABF) had cancelled Voráčová’s visa, and the Czech ministry, in response to questions from Reuters, has said that it had sought an explanation to the situation but also that Voráčová had decided to leave the country.

The Czech player does not look like she will be contesting the decision and is leaving Australia.

RooneyLegend

No. We don't give covidiots special treatment because they are rich and famous.

We all sacrificed to keep the country safe. Kids stranded overseas, unable to travel interstate to see family and friends, even if terminally ill etc, so feck a covidiot getting special treatment.

And he had covid ages ago which a) means he won't have meaningful levels of antibodies snd b) it isn't a valid reason to be allowed in without vaccination.
a) You need to get clued up, it doesn't matter how long ago he had it, he still retains a high level of immunity against it. b) it should be, having natural immunity should be a valid reason to be allowed in without vaccination, if not, then you aren't following the science.

Ainu

They absolutely should be disrespected. We should adhere to them if we're visiting, but why in earth would you respect them? Should I suddenly believe women should be subordinate every time I fly through the Middle East, because it'd be disrespectful not to?
Let's not make it a debate about semantics. Obviously when I said respect them, I meant adhering to them. Not suddenly believing in them.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
a) You need to get clued up, it doesn't matter how long ago he had it, he still retains a high level of immunity against it. b) it should be, having natural immunity should be a valid reason to be allowed in without vaccination, if not, then you aren't following the science.
Australia has a period of 6 months since last infection.

That is the rules for entering the nation, showing up with 1 paper that is suss and being infected in 2020 is not good enough, hell our nation is fecking over citizens who want to come back.

MattofManchester

Send him home already. It's boring now.

The public making him out to be some sort of freedom fighter is even more hilarious.

saivet

Australia has a period of 6 months since last infection.

That is the rules for entering the nation, showing up with 1 paper that is suss and being infected in 2020 is not good enough, hell our nation is fecking over citizens who want to come back.
I think the point is that Djokovic and the Czech player said they were infected in the past 6 months.

Rajma

Novak showed up with 1 piece of paper, He has to do better or at least get better dodgy doctors.
How many papers do you need to show a past infection? Across the EU we have a common covid certificate that is digitally linked to your medical records (i.e. positive PCR test) and it states when you have had Covid or have been vaccinated.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
How many papers do you need to show a past infection? Across the EU we have a common covid certificate that is digitally linked to your medical records (i.e. positive PCR test) and it states when you have had Covid or have been vaccinated.
At least one medical paper.

Nojak showed up with an AO paper that is quite unofficial.

saivet

There had been mention of more players or officials receiving exemptions but it seems the rest of those were based on different grounds to having Covid in the past 6 months.

Balljy

I hadn't realised until now how far Djokovic was down the rabbit hole and how long he's been there. Choice quotes from the article

In his book Serve to Win, Djokovic described how in 2010 he met with a nutritionist who asked him to hold a piece of bread in his left hand while he pressed down on his right arm. Djokovic claims he was much weaker while holding the bread, and cited this as evidence of gluten intolerance.
And during an Instagram live, he claimed that positive thought could "cleanse" polluted water, adding that "scientists have proven that molecules in water react to our emotions."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-59897918

djembatheking

He must have a good chance of being allowed to play otherwise surely he would have already left by now.

saivet

I hadn't realised until now how far Djokovic was down the rabbit hole and how long he's been there. Choice quotes from the article

That's not all.

When he had issues with his elbow in 2017 he wanted his body to heal naturally, rather than undergoing surgery (naïve but whatever). He eventually had surgery the in 2018 but felt guilty about it all.

“I just cried for two or three days,” Djokovic told the Telegraph.

“I cried after I had the surgery on my elbow. Every time I thought about what I did, I felt like I had failed myself.”

“I was trying to avoid getting on that table because I am not a fan of surgeries or medications,” he tells me now. “I am just trying to be as natural as possible, and I believe that our bodies are self-healing mechanisms. I don’t ever want to get myself in the situation where I have to have another surgery.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/novak-djokovic-exclusive-apos-cried-090000235.html

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
“The multi-millionaire athlete was taken to the Park Hotel in Melbourne's Carlton where dozens of immigration detainees are housed on bridging visa or as they await urgent medical care.

Just days ago detainees posted photos online allegedly showing maggots in the meals they had been served along with mouldy bread.

The facility has also been the scene of multiple fires and Covid outbreaks.”

He needs to toughen up. Can’t believe anyone would complain about such living conditions. What a wuss.

Rajma

That's not all.

When he had issues with his elbow in 2017 he wanted his body to heal naturally, rather than undergoing surgery (naïve but whatever). He eventually had surgery the in 2018 but felt guilty about it all.
:lol: I guess in a way such a fecked up mindset has allowed to still be at the peak.

Denis79

In his book he talks about how he found out he was gluten-intolerant. A nutritionist told him to hold bread in one hand and nothing in the other, he then stretched his arms out and felt how much weaker the hand with the bread in it felt and said this was the proof. The man is smart as a rock, so don't be surprised by all his antics.

Brophs

The One and Only
The idea that unvaccinated players wouldn’t be able to play Slams again was always daft. We only need look at the low vaccination rates of footballers to know that sports administrators don’t want to grasp that particularly nettle.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
He must have a good chance of being allowed to play otherwise surely he would have already left by now.
It would have been presence of other players in Oz under similar exemption, with others leaving I suspect he will soon drop the case and head back himself.

Camilo

Let's not make it a debate about semantics. Obviously when I said respect them, I meant adhering to them. Not suddenly believing in them.
He is adhering. And I don't think we're discussing semantics when the two terms are clearly very different. It's just bad English.

Rooney24

It would have been presence of other players in Oz under similar exemption, with others leaving I suspect he will soon drop the case and head back himself.
After reading some of his crazy antics a few posts above I’m not so sure he will.

He probably believes his power of thought is gonna get him in. I mean If he can cleanse polluted water just by thinking about it this is gonna be a walk in the park….

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Is Djokovic a health risk to the players and officials etc? Is he infected with Omicron, does anybody know?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Airlines do a basic check that you have a passport and a visa etc. They currently also check that you have things like a current PCR test and vaccination proof. However, this usually isn't anything official and is to minimise the risk of the airline having to deport you. People get visas cancelled all the time on entry because they don't have the correct visa or the correct paperwork.
Having traveled reasonably often and having many friends who travel fairly regularly, I've only ever heard of two instances where people have been turned back after they entered a country and one in Saudi Arabia as the person had visited Israel in the past. Maybe it's different for countries with visa on arrival and countries such as Saudi Arabia but I'm genuinely amazed if people get visas cancelled "all the time"

I was also aware of a few cases during heightened security times about people under risk of being deported after arrival, but still it would be very rare.

My son was nearly deported from the US when he first arrived as one paper form was missing due to Chinese customs removing it in transit. There was an electronic record but the requirement was to have a physical copy as well. It took 7 hrs in immigration fir them to decide to let him in on the condition he got a new physical form asap. Having a visa doesn't guarantee you entry.

Getting a visa is one thing but proving that you actually have fullfilled the conditions required is done on entry. If he had come by a commercial carrier I don't think he would have been allowed on the plane but the normal checks didn't occur because he was on his own plane. It sounds like he was relying on previous infection to get axwaiver but thatvisn't a thing. His people really should have checked such basic things.
I have lost all visa papers in transit and landed Newark, NJ once and went through second and third level of vetting and was let inside NJ. I had to travel to an immigration center to produce papers after the visit. Strictly speaking, Border security agents have the final right of entry but there is a reason why visas are issues after vetted. Especially red tape bureaucracy doesn't affect the famous and rich because come on, Djokovic is hardly going to become an illegal alien in Australia. I'm happy to see an anti-vaxxer suffer but seriously, he got the visa approved and was provided exemption by both Tennis Australia and Victoria state it seems. It looks more of a cock up between Australian state and federal authorities.

Even setting aside Djokovic, Australia's ridiculous hardline stance towards some of the immigrants need to be highlighted here.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is Djokovic a health risk to the players and officials etc? Is he infected with Omicron, does anybody know?
Youre asking the wrong questions mate.

Is Djokovic exempt to the rules that govern the rest of the population?

Status
Not open for further replies.