Tennis 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
A game penalty was too harsh but Serena should have shut up instead of going on and on and calling ref a thief.

Well done umpire. Next time give me a free grand slam as well. Spoiled everything.

Big congrats to Osaka, but the whole umpire/Serena thing has taken a big shine off things.

It's a shame really, because she was great in the first set and it all feels like the umpire/Serena saga will take more of the headlines.

Impressive from Osaka, considering this was her first final, playing against Serena, in front of the home crowd plus the additional umpire drama

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of what followed, Serena should be pissed off with Patrick for even allowing the umpire to have to make that decision. I won’t pretend to know the rule so this may not be by the book, but to my mind, if a player’s coach tries to coach them on the court then the player should be punished. Serena seems to see the issue as being that she didn’t receive any coaching but this sort of sums up where I am on it

Great tournament by Osaka. Umpire really tried his best to wreck this program. The coaching penalty was ridiculous, you could give that in literally every match. Then to give a game penalty at that stage, clearly it had gotten personal. Pity because it ruined what was a decent final.

Great tournament by Osaka. Umpire really tried his best to wreck this program. The coaching penalty was ridiculous, you could give that in literally every match. Then to give a game penalty at that stage, clearly it had gotten personal. Pity because it ruined what was a decent final.
You can't just shout abuses at officials.

Very impressive for Naomi to keep her composure at the end with all the shit that was going on. Shame that Serena's meltdown will be the main story, she owes Osaka an apology more than she does the umpire.

She should've known she already had two warnings and that a third would result in a game penalty.
A game penalty in a grand slam final set for calling him a thief is beyond ridiculous, regardless of how stupid Serena was acting.

As every single coach on tour does in basically every single match, that penalty was ridiculous.

Serena's fault imo. Having one coaching warning could've been brushed off. Instead she became unhinged and picked up the racket abuse and umpire abuse warning, which she should've known would happen since she was already on two.

Serena’s coach Patrick Mouratoglou says: “If I’m honest I was coaching, [but] I don’t think she looked at me.” He adds: “[Osaka’s coach] Sascha [Bajin] was coaching every point, too. This chair umpire was the chair umpire of most of Rafa’s grand slam finals and Toni is goiaching every single point so I don’t understand.

I definitely have mixed feelings on this, but to play devil’s advocate, she has, by using the word “thief” directly called into question the integrity of the referee. I wouldn’t like to see that become common currency on court, albeit there’s more than a bit of context to the whole thing.

Lost in all of this is that Osaka was far better than Serena on the night The antics at the end just accelerated the inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.