Tennis 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
The strapping on the knee vs Khachanov did indicate something wasn't right.

Taped up knee earlier on in the match too before taking it off. I think this one will be over fairly quickly.

That's Rafa done for the year. He shouldn't play again this year.

I think he's sticking around to see if he can stay in this set. If he loses it then it looks like he's done.

Man that sucks to see.

Would have been a memorable run if he capped it all off.

Gutted for him. Should really just take the rest of the year off.

Sucks for Rafa....but in the end it looks like the two best current players will meet in the finals.

:(

Although, even as a Nadal fan, It's nice to see Del Potro in a grand slam final again after all his injuries.

Not even very disappointed by this. Nadal's had an exceptional year and he was never honestly going to get through Del Po and Djoko after the hours he's spent on court and the fact that he's had a dodgy knee. Super proud of the effort and the year he's had.
I like Djoko a lot but I really hope Del Po wins the USO. It'll be the nicest story in years in tennis. No one deserves it more!

Novak up 2 sets now. Kei isn't really doing anything wrong. Novak is simply playing a bit better which has been the difference.

If Novak the final wins how many GS would he be behind Federer?

6 right? And tying with Pete

Djokovic should be favourite and obviously head to head is in his favour.

But we said this in past US open finals vs Murray and Wawrinka.

One of Del Potros coaches needs to put Argentine shirt on him because he always seems to get the number of Djokovic when he’s representing his country.

Anything can happen in the final since both are playing amazing tennis going in. One break here and there could decide the entire match.

If Novak the final wins how many GS would he be behind Federer?

6 right? And tying with Pete
Yup. If he can maintain his motivation, he's going to get close to Fed and overtake Nadal. Still the most complete player on tour.

Nice guy Novak, took a year and half off so Federer and Nadal could statistically claim they are better.

I meant to share this the other day. It’s a long read on courtsiding (basically trying to update to the score of games quickly while say courtsire to help with betting). I found it really interesting.

This is Djokovics 8th US open final :eek:

2007 L
2010 L
2011 W
2012 L
2013 L
2015 W
2016 L
2018 ?

He's only ever lost a grandslam final at the US open and the French. Has a 100% record at the other slam finals. If he wins this he'll fancy himself to do another grand slam as he'll be a huge favourite at the AO.

He has a good chance of closing the gap. Fed looks shot and he's better than Nadal.

He has a good chance of closing the gap. Fed looks shot and he's better than Nadal.
He could reach 17. But Nadal and Federer could win a few more too, especially Nadal.

Basically predictions are hard to make. 3 years back given how well he was playing no one would have expected Djokovic to be on 13 grandslams now.

He could reach 17. But Nadal and Federer could win a few more too, especially Nadal.

Basically predictions are hard to make. 3 years back given how well he was playing no one would have expected Djokovic to be on 13 grandslams now.
Yeah I think Nadal will win a few more French open titles, but I think Dojokovic has more chance winning the other slams.

This is Djokovics 8th US open final :eek:

2007 L
2010 L
2011 W
2012 L
2013 L
2015 W
2016 L
2018 ?

He's only ever lost a grandslam final at the US open and the French. Has a 100% record at the other slam finals. If he wins this he'll fancy himself to do another grand slam as he'll be a huge favourite at the AO.

That’s not true. I think Andy Murray has something to say about that in 2013.

I must admit, though I’d love to see it happen, I’m still not sure I see Del Potro being able to beat Djokovic over 5 sets. I suspect we’ll see Djokovic really try to bring it down into the trenches and try to move him side to side until he breaks. The way Djokovic is moving, I think Del Potro will do very well to be able to hit through him. At least, unlike Wimbledon, there’s genuine potential for a great match rather than a final where the winner already looked a foregone conclusion.

Huge Djokovic fan but rooting for Del Potro on this one, would just be too good of a feel good story to not want him to do it. I feel that but for his injuries he could have been a real challenger and maybe even a part of a big 5 rather than 4.

Huge Djokovic fan but rooting for Del Potro on this one, would just be too good of a feel good story to not want him to do it. I feel that but for his injuries he could have been a real challenger and maybe even a part of a big 5 rather than 4.
It really has always been a big 3 with Murray the most consistent of the rest. I mean he (and everyone) is so many lightyears behind that it's a bit insulating to the top 3 to call it a 4.

But I agree that Del Potro could have challenged be the best of that remaining bunch, and maybe win 3/4 GS himself.

Incredibly unfair on Murray that. Yes unfortunately he's not gonna be in the GOAT debate like the other 3....but he's the only other people to consistent challenge and put serious pressure on all 3 of them, despite only having the same number of slams as Stan. He trumps him in every other metric. And brutal timing to get his injury, absolute shame he'll likely not pick up an Aussie Open.

Incredibly unfair on Murray that. Yes unfortunately he's not gonna be in the GOAT debate like the other 3....but he's the only other people to consistent challenge and put serious pressure on all 3 of them, despite only having the same number of slams as Stan. He trumps him in every other metric. And brutal timing to get his injury, absolute shame he'll likely not pick up an Aussie Open.

Wawrinka has just as many slams as Murray.

Ultimately, he will go down in the Hewitt, Kuerten, Safin echelon, which would be two levels below the goat contenders, and a level below the likes of Lendl, Connors, Agassi, Wilander etc

A common complaint of mine on here, but surprised to be doing with you la.....but....

read what you quote.

Murray really won't go down in the same boat as Hewitt et al. He's at the lower end of the Connors-Agassi bracket, I'd probably have him above both Wilander/Edberg in it. I dunno, it's tough.

A common complaint of mine on here, but surprised to be doing with you la.....but....

read what you quote.

Murray really won't go down in the same boat as Hewitt et al. He's at the lower end of the Connors-Agassi bracket, I'd probably have him above both Wilander/Edberg in it. I dunno, it's tough.

:lol: Sorry I missed that key bit in your previous post.

The reason I have him in tier 3 is because he is similar to the players I listed - made it to world number 1 and won 2-3 slams in the process. The likes of Agassi, Connors, Lendl are above him is down to slam count - they have over twice as many as Murray.

Status
Not open for further replies.