Tennis 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Federer should do everyone a favour and retire. Djokovic is the best at the moment.
If he's still enjoying it and playing at a very high level then he should keep doing it and we should keep enjoying this brilliant group of players while we still can.

That being said Djokovic and Nadal look like the clear favourites to win in New York.

Federer should do everyone a favour and retire. Djokovic is the best at the moment.

He's won 3 of the last 7 grand slams and is number 2 in the world. Why would he retire if he's still playing at a top level?

Last edited:
Would love to see another Djokovic-Nadal final at the US Open. The last 3 were all epics

He's won 3 of the last 7 grand slams and is number 2 in the world. Why would he retire if he's still playing at a top level?
He despises Federer. Probably ran over his cat or something.

Ivan Lendl has joined Zverev's team, maybe he can provide that crucial something to deliver at a slam.

So I presume Fed, Zverev and Djokovic on same side of draw?

I feel sorry for the ranked player who gets Wawrinka in the first round. He has looked his old self in the last few weeks and Magnus Norman will be coaching him at the open.

I feel sorry for the ranked player who gets Wawrinka in the first round. He has looked his old self in the last few weeks and Magnus Norman will be coaching him at the open.

Not sure. Believe the actual draw is today or tomorrow so we should know more then.

Those are just the seeds.

So seed Nadal/Federer will be projected to play either DelPo or Zverev in the SFs.

Seeds 1-4 will drawn to play 5-8 seeds in the QF.

So yes, theory it's possible for Zverev and Djokovic to land in Federer's half but the same applies to Nadal.

Just checked and the draw is 2pm NYC time tomorrow.

There's some potentially very nice paths for the top players looking at that list. Don't think the draw will actually matter that much in terms of the end result, we'll get Nadal vs Djokovic at some point and the winner of that match will win the tournament. Obviously it'd be nice to avoid another final like Wimbledon though.

Where Stan ends up is a possible wildcard but he'd be more of an inconvenience than a threat I think. Based on previous years I'll go Djokovic, Fed, Delpo, Cilic plus Stan in one half, Nadal, Zverev, Anderson and Dimitrov in the other.

Fair to say Federer has the toughest draw of the three favorites.

Djokovic has the most comfortable draw to the QFs, but think Nadal will be fairly happy too. Khachanov and Edmund maybe the main contenders should he have an early loss.

A lot of ranking points for Novak to win here and until the end of the year. Could be world number 1 by AO?

Feds draw is tough. His first round easy. But then you look past that and you got guys who can take a set or two off him and push him especially if he is not at his best. That won’t help at 37 years old. For him to win a slam he needs to go the first four or five matches without dropping a set like he did in Australia where he didn’t drop a set until the final.

Dimitrov - Wawrinka R1:lol:

Good chance for Zverev to finally make a grand slam semi-final.

I want to go watch Federer but I'm not able to figure out his schedule. I'm planning on watching his first round game. Any idea how to figure where and when he is playing?

I want to go watch Federer but I'm not able to figure out his schedule. I'm planning on watching his first round game. Any idea how to figure where and when he is playing?
You'll have to wait for the order of play to be released which is done the day before (no idea what time) for certainty.

I believe the bottom half (Federer's) play second, so their round 1 matches will be on Tuesday (you may want to verify that somewhere).

Looking at the draw there aren't any stand out R1 matches unlike the other half (Stan vs Dimitrov and Nadal vs Ferrer) so I'd imagine Federer will be on in the night session. All an assumption and no guarantee but that's the way things tend to go.

Halep a set down and a break down, think she was the tournament favorite.

Dimitrov/Wawrinka in first round of US Open. What a shite draw. Anyway gonna enjoy this and do believe Stan will win.

Ivan Lendl has joined Zverev's team, maybe he can provide that crucial something to deliver at a slam.
Oh I didn't know that! That's great. The lad needs some steel to his game.

He's playing on Wednesday it seems. Think he's playing in the night match..

Last I looked she'd broken back. Can't believe she's out already.

Bloody hell she's so up and down.

You'll have to wait for the order of play to be released which is done the day before (no idea what time) for certainty.

I believe the bottom half (Federer's) play second, so their round 1 matches will be on Tuesday (you may want to verify that somewhere).

Looking at the draw there aren't any stand out R1 matches unlike the other half (Stan vs Dimitrov and Nadal vs Ferrer) so I'd imagine Federer will be on in the night session. All an assumption and no guarantee but that's the way things tend to go.

He's playing on Wednesday it seems. Think he's playing in the night match..

Thank you for the replies. These schedules are too late for me to plan to go. Only option I see is if Federer is still there this weekend. And of course I don't know when they will schedule that game even if we know that he has advanced to that round.

Edmund out today.

What do people make of the Amazon Prime coverage?

It's about a minute behind which is to be expected and for that reason I'm not keen.

The quality of stream on the main channel seems poor for some reason, though if you go separately to Armstrong Live it seems fine.

Not up to them but the camera angle on the Armstrong isn't great imo.

Dimitrov out by ease. Looks like Stan is back.

Edmund the waster also out.

Edmund out today.

What do people make of the Amazon Prime coverage?

It's about a minute behind which is to be expected and for that reason I'm not keen.

The quality of stream on the main channel seems poor for some reason, though if you go separately to Armstrong Live it seems fine.

Not up to them but the camera angle on the Armstrong isn't great imo.
Using it and didn't realise it's a minute behind?:confused:

I can't say I'm too keen to be honest...

Using it and didn't realise it's a minute behind?:confused:

I can't say I'm too keen to be honest...
Yeah, I have notifications from the app (as I won't be able to watch most of the tournament) and I got the notification that Stan had won his match when the score was 15-0 at 6-5

Yeah, I have notifications from the app (as I won't be able to watch most of the tournament) and I got the notification that Stan had won his match when the score was 15-0 at 6-5
Oh I see. That sucks. Do you know if they have this for the foreseeable future or will Sky be able to bid again next year?

Oh I see. That sucks. Do you know if they have this for the foreseeable future or will Sky be able to bid again next year?
Amazon Prime have exclusive rights the US Open until 2022. They definitely got the rights to the ATP Tour from Sky from next year (I think for 5 years) which means exclusive rights to the Masters 1000 & 500 events.

Won't be any Tennis on Sky Sports for some time.

Amazon Prime have exclusive rights the US Open until 2022. They definitely got the rights to the ATP Tour from Sky from next year (I think for 5 years) which means exclusive rights to the Masters 1000 & 500 events.

Won't be any Tennis on Sky Sports for some time.
Thanks pal.

I'm not happy to hear this though. Not really having much joy with the coverage. Hope they bloody improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.