Music Taylor Swift

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Not yours maybe, and again I apologise if I mischaracterized your posts in here.

It's however ridiculous to say there's "comment policing" going on.
I dunno, the fact you took issue with my post and not the one I was answering is a bit telling,

It's a rot on here. People who don't agree with you are either in a cvlt or crying. Tedious.

CoopersDream

Did you read his post? If you did't think mine was any use, go back and read his,

As @Pogue Mahone said, the overreaction to any criticism of Taylor is ridiculous.
That's not really the case. Most of the discussions here comes from the fact that there are some people here that cannot understand why other people hold a different opinion so they go on labeling people weird and whatever for liking Taylor Swift. It's not so much about criticism for Taylor as it is for anyone who dare to enjoy themselves listning to her songs or going to her concerts.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Ah yeah, I got a mild but well controlled wave of nostalgia at the Jesus and Mary Chain a few months back.

Where did you see SP? The UK reviews were great and one of my daughters said they were amazing in Dublin.
in Dublin, and yeah I loved every secound of it

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
That's not really the case. Most of the discussions here comes from the fact that there are some people here that cannot understand why other people hold a different opinion so they go on labeling people weird and whatever for liking Taylor Swift. It's not so much about criticism for Taylor as it is for anyone who dare to enjoy themselves listning to her songs or going to her concerts.
Language like " dare to enjoy themselves" is fairly self pitying to be honest.

No, I think it's people who genuinely don't understand a massive phenomenon trying to figure it out, and yeah pointing the finger and laughing occasionally, but that's the nature of an online football forum?

I grew up with fairly fringe musical tastes so was almost exclusively described as weird. I don't get offended when people criticise the music I like. I just presume they have different (or no) taste.

Or sometimes, personally, I am genuinely interested when divergent musical tastes converge or when similar music tastes diverge.

CoopersDream

No, I think it's people who genuinely don't understand a massive phenomenon trying to figure it out, and yeah pointing the finger and laughing occasionally, but that's the nature of an online football forum?

I don't get offended when people criticise the music I like. I just presume they have different (or no) taste.

Or sometimes, personally I am genuinely interested when divergent musical tastes converge or when similar music tastes diverge.
I don't get offended when someone criticises what I llke, that's part of being on an online forum.

The issue is people implying they have better taste for not liking Taylor Swift and every thing that comes with that. That, if anything, is very weird behaviour for fully grown adults.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I don't get offended when someone criticises what I llke, that's part of being on an online forum.

The issue is people implying they have better taste for not liking Taylor Swift and every thing that comes with that. That, if anything, is very weird behaviour for fully grown adults.
People discussing and dissing musical tastes have made up quite a lot of my life!

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Worst thing about the Taylor Swift thing is that it used to be the case that only children really went for the total adoration and idolisation of figures. Now you get fully grown adults screaming and shouting for Swift or Ronaldo.

Adults now get an emotional reaction to the person rather than how that’s persons art makes them feel.

This runs into spaces that won’t even allow anyone to say ‘The new album is pretty shit with a few highlights’ or ‘He had an awful game’. There are mental gymnastics in fully grown humans to double down on fandom. It’s really fecking weird.

I kind of pity those people. For all of their ‘you don’t understand’ lines, it’s not deep. They’re all in weird cu1t followings for no good reason.

The Taylor Swift experience in a stadium is so far below an adult experience of music. (And yes, first hand experience, I took my daughter and had a good time).

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Worst thing about the Taylor Swift thing is that it used to be the case that only children really went for the total adoration and idolisation of figures. Now you get fully grown adults screaming and shouting for Swift or Ronaldo.

Adults now get an emotional reaction to the person rather than how that’s persons art makes them feel.

This runs into spaces that won’t even allow anyone to say ‘The new album is pretty shit with a few highlights’ or ‘He had an awful game’. There are mental gymnastics in fully grown humans to double down on fandom. It’s really fecking weird.

I kind of pity those people. For all of their ‘you don’t understand’ lines, it’s not deep. They’re all in weird cu1t followings for no good reason.

The Taylor Swift experience in a stadium is so far below an adult experience of music. (And yes, first hand experience, I took my daughter and had a good time).
Just on this - a lot of people have been critical of her last album on here for example. There might be cultism going on about her in "the world", but I don't think it applies here - not saying you were targetting this thread as your comment was a bit general, but just thought it was worth clarifying.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Just on this - a lot of people have been critical of her last album on here for example. There might be cultism going on about her in "the world", but I don't think it applies here - not saying you were targetting this thread as your comment was a bit general, but just thought it was worth clarifying.
Oh aye, I was painting in very broad strokes. The woman is in Kanye territory within her own fandom. She could shit on vinyl and people would call it her best work.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

It’s just a difference of opinion. The lifeblood of an internet forum. Replace Taylor Swift with Pep Guardiola and his Tiki Taka football or the artistry of Messi vs efficiency of Ronaldo and this place wouldn’t exists if dissenting voices were shouted down for saying that they don’t understand (or find it weird) why people hold different opinions to them. The movie thread is another great example. The exact same people taking offence at people calling Taylor Swift’s music shit wouldn’t hesitate to call out MCU’s latest atrocity for being shit (with all the implicit criticism of MCU fans that comes with that opinion). And, in a way, MCU and Taylor Swift have a hell of a lot in common.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Yeah she said it was amazing and loud as!

Didn't play Spaceboy though!
they didnt and its a beautiful song

But they did play Mayonaise and that was the moment that got me. There was a couple standing in front of us who looked like it struck the same cord for them as me and I got a little teary, I am not ashamed to admit

CoopersDream

It’s just a difference of opinion. The lifeblood of an internet forum. Replace Taylor Swift with Pep Guardiola and his Tiki Taka football or the artistry of Messi vs efficiency of Ronaldo and this place wouldn’t exists if dissenting voices were shouted down for saying that they don’t understand (or find it weird) why people hold different opinions to them. The movie thread is another great example. The exact same people taking offence at people calling Taylor Swift’s music shit wouldn’t hesitate to call out MCU’s latest atrocity for being shit (with all the implicit criticism of MCU fans that comes with that opinion). And, in a way, MCU and Taylor Swift have a hell of a lot in common.
Slag off Taylor Swift all you like, I don't really care. You are free to like or dislike whatever you want.

I'm gonna make another example. Let's say I love the movie Interstellar (I do). Let's say someone else doesn't and explains why (no explanation needed even) - totally fair, everyone should not like the same things. If someone else instead says something like "Oh, well, you clearly haven't seen 2001 yada yada yada" I'm gonna call it out because it's a stupid thing to say. You calling Taylor Swift bland and whatever else is fine, but I'm going to call you out if you tell someone they have low brow tastes for liking the music because it's a stupid thing to say.

Last edited:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
they didnt and its a beautiful song

But they did play Mayonaise and that was the moment that got me. There was a couple standing in front of us who looked like it struck the same cord for them as me and I got a little teary, I am not ashamed to admit
Ha!

Yeah, when I asked her about Spaceboy, she literally said "No, but they played Mayonaise and Disarm!"

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Slag off Taylor Swift all you like, I don't really care. You are free to like or dislike whatever you want.

I'm gonna make another example. Let's say I love the movie Interstellar (I do). Let's say someone else doesn't and explains why (no explanation needed even) - totally fair, everyone should not like the same things. If someone else instead says something like "Oh, well, you clearly haven't seen 2001 yada yada yada" I'm gonna call it out because it's a stupid thing to say. You calling Taylor Swift bland and whatever else is fine, but I'm going to call you out if you tell someone they have low brow tastes for liking the music because it's a stupid thing to say.
It's not stupid, it's a valid opinion I think. And one I hold, but not one I have voiced loudly because it could be seen as obnoxious in the wromg context, but not stupid in my opinion. There is a hierarchy that isn't just fans and record sales. Some art/music/film etc is better than others in lots of ways.

Last edited:

CoopersDream

It's not stupid, it's a valid opinion I think. And one I hold, but not one I have voiced loudly because it could be seen as obnoxious in the wromg context, but not stupid in my opinion. There is a hierarchy that isn't just fans and record sales. Some art/music/film etc is better than others in lots of ways.
I mean, in some sense every opinion is valid. It can still be daft. The issue isn't that some music or movies are better than other. The issue is pretending to knlw better when you most probably do not.

If we take Taylor as an example, by all objective measures Taylor has made a quite a few good pop records, some even qualify as really good in the genre. There's a shit ton of artists held in higher regard, just as there are a shit ton of artists regarded lower than her. But saying it's low brow to like her is nothing but pretentiousness, an implication that someone somehow "knows better".

Last edited:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I mean, in some sense every opinion is valid. It can still be daft. The issue isn't that some music or movies are better than other. The issue is pretending to knlw better when you most probably do not.

If we take Taylor as an example, by all objective measures Taylor has made a quite a few good pop records, some even qualify as really good in the genre. There's a shit ton of artists hold in higher regard, just as there are a shit ton of artists regarded lower than her. But saying it's low brow to like her is nothing but pretentiousness, an implication that someone somehow "knows better".
What's daft about analysing and critiquing the creative arts? There are University degrees based on it?

On the whole, I think her music is bland, formulaic, and safe. I was pleased my kids liked her as opposed to the crud that pre-teens often listen to. If we widen the lend to include all music, I believe she is adding nothing creatively to the genre. I think it's commercially superior but artistically and creatively inferior. I don't think I'm pretending to know better. I firmly believe those things. And I don't think it's pretentious or even controversial to consider her pedestrian.

MiceOnMeth

It's a valid discussion. Thanks for your input, which by your logic is an adult man crying about adult men crying about not understanding the Taylor Swift phenomenon.
I wasn't talking about the Caf. But everytime there's a video of Taylor on Instagram the top comments are always the same "I just don't get it" "where's the talent"
If you can't see why she has 50k people in the palm of her hand singing along to every word every night you're just deliberately being ignorant

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I wasn't talking about the Caf. But everytime there's a video of Taylor on Instagram the top comments are always the same "I just don't get it" "where's the talent"
If you can't see why she has 50k people in the palm of her hand singing along to every word every night you're just deliberately being ignorant

Ah yes, that's social media, don't be tarring us old bastards with that brush, we're arseholes of a totally different kind.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Mesmerising

What a ridiculous comment. That dancing is low end mediocre at best. A performer who is actually a great dancer is J-Hope from BTS. Taylor is nowhere near his level. Actually, all of BTS would wipe with the floor with TS dancing.

CoopersDream

What's daft about analysing and critiquing the creative arts? There are University degrees based on it?

On the whole, I think her music is bland, formulaic, and safe. I was pleased my kids liked her as opposed to the crud that pre-teens often listen to. If we widen the lend to include all music, I believe she is adding nothing creatively to the genre. I think it's commercially superior but artistically and creatively inferior. I don't think I'm pretending to know better. I firmly believe those things. And I don't think it's pretentious or even controversial to consider her pedestrian.
No one has said that it's daft to analyse or criticise a piece of art. Saying that a movie is bad or an artist is bland, again, absolutely okay - it would be boring if everyone thought the same of everything. That's clearly not what I'm getting at here.

I think the Interstellar/2001 analogy Illustrated my point well. So I'm just gonna leave it at that.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Interstellar really isn’t a good movie, by the way. I’ve never felt as insulted by a movies ending as I did in the last half hour of that one. When Anne Hathaway started to talk about love as a force that could travel through dimensions, I almost walked out.

InfiniteBoredom

What a ridiculous comment. That dancing is low end mediocre at best. A performer who is actually a great dancer is J-Hope from BTS. Taylor is nowhere near his level. Actually, all of BTS would wipe with the floor with TS dancing.
Just from pop female artists of the last 20 ish years, off the top of my head Beyonce, Ciara, Shakira, J-Lo (she can’t sing but that’s another thing) are clearly superior, for smaller artists Zara Larsson or FKA Twigs, heck even Dua Lipa who copped a lot of heat early on for not being able to dance has made strides in that regard and I'd consider her live choreograohy better than Swift.

This is imo one of the main things that annoy people, everything she does is blown out of proportion to the nth degree, and that hyperbolic reaction from her PR machine and fanbase just turn off people who otherwise wouldnt care to criticise her craft at all. It's one thing bopping your head along to 'You Need To Calm Down' and another thing to praise 'cause shade never made anybody less gay' as the most clever lyrics ever.

Pogue Mahone

Interstellar really isn’t a good movie, by the way. I’ve never felt as insulted by a movies ending as I did in the last half hour of that one. When Anne Hathaway started to talk about love as a force that could travel through dimensions, I almost walked out.
Same. It was interesting for most of the running time. Shite towards the end.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Just from pop female artists of the last 20 ish years, off the top of my head Beyonce, Ciara, Shakira, J-Lo (she can’t sing but that’s another thing) are clearly superior, for smaller artists Zara Larsson or FKA Twigs, heck even Dua Lipa who copped a lot of heat early on for not being able to dance has made strides in that regard and I'd consider her live choreograohy better than Swift.

This is imo one of the main things that annoy people, everything she does is blown out of proportion to the nth degree, and that hyperbolic reaction from her PR machine and fanbase just turn off people who otherwise wouldnt care to criticise her craft at all. It's one thing bopping your head along to 'You Need To Calm Down' and another thing to praise 'cause shade never made anybody less gay' as the most clever lyrics ever.
I’m usually the last person to pick up on irony online but isn’t the whole point of that tweet to take the piss out of all the over top praise she gets by sharing a clip of her dancing like someone’s drunken aunt at a wedding?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I’m usually the last person to pick up on irony online but isn’t the whole point of that tweet to take the piss out of all the over top praise she gets by sharing a clip of her dancing like someone’s drunken aunt at a wedding?
Yes. But in fairness to her, I think she acknowledges she's not the best mover.

The critics do too, and link it to the non threatening nature of her I alluded to earlier. https://www.businessinsider.com/taylor-swift-cant-dance-fans-cant-either-new-york-times-2023-8

"He answers his own question, linking Swift's unimpressive dancing skills with those of her fans: "It doesn't, because her fans love her anyway. And it does, because this imperfect dancing is, I think, part of her nonthreatening Everywoman image. It makes her easier to identify with." Swift's clunky, easily replicated choreography, he posits, is a weapon in her arsenal of mass fan appeal."

UnrelatedPsuedo

You’re not serious?

The post is a joke. Showing up with ‘My cu1t leaders dance better than yours’ is indicative of so much.