Film Suicide Squad (2016)

I actually enjoyed his laugh. I think trying to be like previous Jokers would have been a mistake. Doing his own interpretation was fine, but I still maintain he needed his own movie first with Batman before doing a cameo for this movie.

I actually enjoyed his laugh. I think trying to be like previous Jokers would have been a mistake. Doing his own interpretation was fine, but I still maintain he needed his own movie first with Batman before doing a cameo for this movie.

I agree with this. Tough for any character to make the same impact when they are just introduced as a cameo.

Its upsetting Leto had literally no Joker-esque scenes to work with. It was just normal conversation for the most part.

Disagree.

I cringed at the delivery of the "this HONKA HONKA" line, or whatever it was.

I just thought, "Oh look, it's Jim Carrey from Batman Forever"

And if any Irish people here seen the film, they'd know that laugh of his is nowt more than an obnoxious laugh you hear from a person from Navan or Nobber

I agree with this. Tough for any character to make the same impact when they are just introduced as a cameo.
I finally got round to seeing it (straight off the bat i didnt like it) and i have to strongly disagree.

In a brief stint they could have done a better job in established him. I mean in the brief time he was there i got the feeling hes more a crazy thug who likes to spend his time in the VIP section of clubs than the dangerous demented Joker he should be

No as in the movie universe you can hire a good dude who knows how to fight, you dont need crocs.
?

crocs-crocslights-robo-shark-clog-ps-junior.jpg

Better than I expected but they could've made it so much better. The start was a bit confusing and dragged on without really being coherent. Got better towards the end.

Too many characters without any of them being given proper backstories or really being needed. Thought Deadshot & Harley were the stand-out characters (Margot :drool:). Didn't like the witch, not sure what to make of Joker.

When Deadshot took the shot to blow up the bomb at the end, it looked like the witch tried deflecting it - at that point I instantly thought 'De Gea would've got that' :devil:

Thought it was better than Batman v Superman, but not as good as the Marvel films.

Better than I expected but they could've made it so much better. The start was a bit confusing and dragged on without really being coherent. Got better towards the end.

Too many characters without any of them being given proper backstories or really being needed. Thought Deadshot & Harley were the stand-out characters (Margot :drool:). Didn't like the witch, not sure what to make of Joker.

When Deadshot took the shot to blow up the bomb at the end, it looked like the witch tried deflecting it - at that point I instantly thought 'De Gea would've got that' :devil:

Thought it was better than Batman v Superman, but not as good as the Marvel films.
Got to ask, which Marvel films? I keep hearing about Marvel films being great and DC ones being rubbish, but do people count the Dark Knight trilogy in those comparisons? The only Marvel films I really liked were GOTG (more so) and Deadpool (less so).

Got to ask, which Marvel films? I keep hearing about Marvel films being great and DC ones being rubbish, but do people count the Dark Knight trilogy in those comparisons? The only Marvel films I really liked were GOTG (more so) and Deadpool (less so).

I think when people mean the DC films they're talking about the DC Extended Universe which started with Man of Steel and the latest is Suicide Squad. The Nolan trilogy is excluded largely because it's not part of any other superhero universe.

Deadpool isn't part of the Marvel films either, so really you only like GOTG from the Marvel lot.

I think when people mean the DC films they're talking about the DC Extended Universe which started with Man of Steel and the latest is Suicide Squad. The Nolan trilogy is excluded largely because it's not part of any other superhero universe.

Deadpool isn't part of the Marvel films either, so really you only like GOTG from the Marvel lot.
Confusing as hell. Isn't Batman part of the same universe as Harley Quinn and the Joker (Suicide squad), as Superman, Flash, WW, Green Lanter etc (Justice League)? Or do you mean that that particular story isn't relevant to any of the other DC characters and their story?

Confusing as hell. Isn't Batman part of the same universe as Harley Quinn and the Joker (Suicide squad), as Superman, Flash, WW, Green Lanter etc (Justice League)? Or do you mean that that particular story isn't relevant to any of the other DC characters and their story?
He means the latter. Everything that happened in the Dark Knight trilogy has no bearing on this extended universe.

I'm no comic book fan but Nolan's Batman trilogy was clearly DC, and Deadpool is clearly Marvel. I don't see how you can argue otherwise.

Not surprised people didn't like Leto's Joker. Haven't seen the film, but he just off as the Joker from the initial pics and trailers. Someone said he looks like Riddler/Jim Carrie impersonating the joker and that sums up my initial thoughts, too. The joker is supposed to be intimidating despite not being the biggest baddie. Leto just looks effeminate and nuts from what I've seen, which doesn't sum up what the Joker is in my mind.

It's a completely different area. As relevant as Michael Keaton's Batman is to this current universe.

I'm no comic book fan but Nolan's Batman trilogy was clearly DC, and Deadpool is clearly Marvel. I don't see how you can argue otherwise.

I'm not arguing that Nolan's Trilogy isn't DC. It's just when the modern day fan says they're not a fan of the DC films, they're talking about the DC Extended Universe which started off with Man of Steel - it's really Zack Snyder's films they are talking about.

Deadpool is a Marvel comic, but it's not made by Marvel studios which is what I meant - it's done by Fox.

Your confusing what the person you're referring to is saying.

The DC Extended Universe starts with Man of steel followed by bvs and suicide squad.

Deadpool is a marvel character but the film rights are owned by Fox which is why he can't be part of the marvel cinematic universe.

So the stories of Ant-man, Iron Man (1-3), Captain America (1 &2), GOTG are all relevant to the "collective" films?

I don't see how Iron Man 1 was relevant to the Avengers/Civil War, but Dark Knight is not to their collective films.

Iron Man 3 confused the shit out of me, then someone told me I needed to have watched Captain America first which just seemed fecking stupid.

Iron Man 3 confused the shit out of me, then someone told me I needed to have watched Captain America first which just seemed fecking stupid.

Not even sure what that person meant. Iron Man 3 was just a bad film full stop.

About half way through this, I started to question the critical panning. Sure, it wasn't very good. The structure was terrible and the editing all over the place. The basic concept made no sense, at all, to the point where the entire plot relied on the formation of a team of meta humans, that contained at the very least no more than 2 (and probably only one) actual meta humans. And their treatment of the Joker was bizarre to say the least, written like a bog standard, one dimensional mob boss and not given even one plausiblely jokey line. Leto may have been awful, or may have been great, but no actor could've built a good Joker out of such pitiful material.

And yet by about the hour mark, I was still marginally onside with a flick that was messy, sure, but not completely disastrous.:.

And then it went full f**king retard. The last third of this film is so ubiquitously rubbish in every conceivable area that it rivals Fant4stic and The Room for the title of biggest incomprehensible 3rd act meltdown.

What is the villain even doing? What is the point of her giant golden henchmen? Why and how do they engage a magical witch in hand to hand combat and then defeat her with a bomb? How are they able to throw said bomb past a character previously established as able to teleport vast distances in seconds? Why does the only actual metahuman suddenly turn into a giant flaming skeleton creature out of nowhere? Why should any of these people feel part of a "family" after literally one evening of sparse interaction? And why, in a superhero film with no interesting character drama, does the final big combat action scene take place in the dimly lit, overly smokey cinematic equivalent of an underfunded, ghetto outskirts laser quest?

It's one of those films that ends so badly that even the few things I found vaguely positive about the first half, I've now retroactively revalued as terrible by association and hindsight. I mean, Captain Boomerang? What!? How is throwing small non-deadly objects over short distances useful in this scenario? WHAT!!?

Balls.

Last edited:
Just came back from watching it. It started off well, the Enchantress scenes were spooky and well done, but after the first act the film just got progressively worse and wore and it finished with one of the worst endings I've ever seen.

Leto's Joker wasn't given a lot to do but I enjoyed all his scenes.

Why on earth we're all the Suicide Squad best friends in the end?? That was extremely cringey.

As many of reiterated, the storyline and structure was abysmal.

I enjoyed the soundtrack and watching it in IMAX helped it as a spectacle and kept me mildly entertained.

What is the villain even doing? What is the point of her giant golden henchmen? Why and how do they engage a magical witch in hand to hand combat and then defeat her with a bomb? How are they able to throw said bomb past a character previously established as able to teleport vast distances in seconds?
Shes a being from another dimension. Shes thousands of years old and is from another universe. Who knows what weapon she was building and what role her henchmen were going to play in her plot to take over the world. I dislike movies that try to answer every conceivable question and have an obvious reason for every thing they do. We arent meant to have complete information while watching the movie. This makes me empathise more with the Suicide Squad because everything is told from their POV. And they are just as confused as we are.

As for the bomb, she was protecting her weapon (whatever the hell that was) and trying to finish it before the suicide squad destroyed it. She wouldnt teleport anywhere because that would leave it unprotected.

Why does the only actual metahuman suddenly turn into a giant flaming skeleton creature out of nowhere? Why should any of these people feel part of a "family" after literally one evening of sparse interaction? And why, in a superhero film with no interesting character drama, does the final big combat action scene take place in the dimly lit, overly smokey cinematic equivalent of an underfunded, ghetto outskirts laser quest?
Diablo is not a meta'human' at all. He turns out to be from the same dimension as the Enchantress. It is how he was able to see through her deception (the part where she made the Suicide Squad think they were in their own perfect worlds). Him turning into 'flaming skeleton creature' was him returning to his true form.

And the whole heart of the movie is how those criminals come to feel as part of a family. It is their arc as a group which mirrors their individual character arcs. These people were thrown away by society. Kept in prisons where they were repeatedly abused by the staff. But suddenly they are treated with respect, given responsibilities and not only given their freedom in a limited sense but also get to hang out with their peers (they have ever been treated like this before by society). To me it shows that if you take a group of 'bad' people and treat them with respect, they will act just like any other decent member of society. It shows that there may not be any 'bad' people at all. Just people who have been disenfranchised.

The generic 'blue light in the sky with debris floating about' was one thing I disliked. In a movie with so many fresh ideas, it was depressing to see the same old city destroying that happens in every other superhero movie.

I dont love this movie, but I thought it was decent. Best thing DC have done since the Dark Knight Rises at any rate. Man of Steel and BvS were a slog to get through. I'm Mr Meeseeks, look at me.

Last edited:
So the stories of Ant-man, Iron Man (1-3), Captain America (1 &2), GOTG are all relevant to the "collective" films?

I don't see how Iron Man 1 was relevant to the Avengers/Civil War, but Dark Knight is not to their collective films.
The answer is basically "because it is". It isn't some sort of weird fan delusion, the relevant movies and shows are clearly outlined as being part of a shared universe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Extended_Universe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe

It doesn't have to be relevant. They just share the same universe; so they all exist in the world being portrayed on screen. The Iron Man you see in Iron Man 1 is the same one you see in The Avengers, Cap 3 etc. Similar to how you saw Ant Man saying we should call the Avengers in his movie and how the Guardians will appear in later Avenger movies. The Batman you see in Suicide Squad/BVS isn't the same one who appeared in the Nolan films. It's a completely different take on the character.

Watched it last night, thought it was a great watch. Well worth the £8

Watched this last week! Thought it was absolutely shite, I don't even know where to start it was an absolute mess (editing was terrible). Jared Leto's joker was absolutely terrible, worst joker ever and his addition in the film made no sense whatsoever and he looked like Marilyn Manson in that awful tainted love cover video. Hate the fact that there wasn't a score and just music owned by Warner Bros in quick succession, completely crap and jarring, trying to be Guardians of the Galaxy. Plus points were Will Smith who's character was the only one I gave a crap about and Robie as Harley Quinn who was also good. I really wanted this to be good but to be honest I think DC extended universe is a bit fecked, too much studio interference- they keep hiring directors for a vision but then interfere too much. I feel sorry for the actors and the fans the studio is so desperate for a hit they are ruining everything.

I need to watch it a second time. First time was fun, decent. Good but not great. I though the first part where they were introducing characters was quirky and different but it did descend into predictability. However watching a second time, want to see how it holds up knowing whats coming up (and probably analyzing stuff rather than just to enjoy)

Edit: Also I see mixed reviews for Joker. Its either terrible, or good cos its different. No real middle ground.

The Avengers universe still has Robert Downey Jr playing the same Iron Man from the original movie - it's the same character who's had multiple movies since the first Iron Man one.

After Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, the characters from Batman such as Batman himself and Alfred were recast and their stories were essentially rebooted and started again.

About half way through this, I started to question the critical panning. Sure, it wasn't very good. The structure was terrible and the editing all over the place. The basic concept made no sense, at all, to the point where the entire plot relied on the formation of a team of meta humans, that contained at the very least no more than 2 (and probably only one) actual meta humans. And their treatment of the Joker was bizarre to say the least, written like a bog standard, one dimensional mob boss and not given even one plausiblely jokey line. Leto may have been awful, or may have been great, but no actor could've built a good Joker out of such pitiful material.

And yet by about the hour mark, I was still marginally onside with a flick that was messy, sure, but not completely disastrous.:.

And then it went full f**king retard. The last third of this film is so ubiquitously rubbish in every conceivable area that it rivals Fant4stic and The Room for the title of biggest incomprehensible 3rd act meltdown.

What is the villain even doing? What is the point of her giant golden henchmen? Why and how do they engage a magical witch in hand to hand combat and then defeat her with a bomb? How are they able to throw said bomb past a character previously established as able to teleport vast distances in seconds? Why does the only actual metahuman suddenly turn into a giant flaming skeleton creature out of nowhere? Why should any of these people feel part of a "family" after literally one evening of sparse interaction? And why, in a superhero film with no interesting character drama, does the final big combat action scene take place in the dimly lit, overly smokey cinematic equivalent of an underfunded, ghetto outskirts laser quest?

It's one of those films that ends so badly that even the few things I found vaguely positive about the first half, I've now retroactively revalued as terrible by association and hindsight. I mean, Captain Boomerang? What!? How is throwing small non-deadly objects over short distances useful in this scenario? WHAT!!?

Balls.

This might be what annoys me the most. The rest of the nonsense can be kind of ignored at times if you're just in it for some light entertainment, but the sudden 'family' aspect is supposed to be central to the movie and it doesn't make sense.

As you say they spend one night together. Harley Quinn literally abandons them for a bit, then comes back once she thinks the Joker's been killed. The Aussie guy tries to abandon them, and only doesn't because his head will blow up if he does. The fire guy stands around for most of it actively not helping them because he's become a pacifist. Why are they suddenly all best mates? The plot basically required it presumably and they forgot to write that part in.

Good lord this was a shocking movie.

Can't remember the last time that an ensemble cast was this large and have so many in there who were completely redundant.

Once they'd recruited Deadshot and Diablo that could have been it. The others really have no purpose and no ability that helps anyone. Croc, Quinn, Bommerang Guy, Climber man, Katana girl, whoever else I'm forgetting... pointless.

Harley Quinn was a great character that was wasted. Joker could have been written out of the movie and it wouldn't have mattered.

The final act of the movie was just so poor. The 'Family' went into a building to rescue someone, then they plan to evacuate by helicopter... Why not just fly in in the first place. The villain didn't really do anything but make a big circle appear in the sky and get a bit chatty.

I don't get what the movie wanted to be. It had masses of cool scenes but naff all direction, no plot to note. I could rant and rant for hours.

2 wasted hours of life. Wish they offered a 30 minute highlights package. Would have left me more satisfied.

The answer is basically "because it is". It isn't some sort of weird fan delusion, the relevant movies and shows are clearly outlined as being part of a shared universe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Extended_Universe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe

More reading on this concept:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SharedUniverse

See the MCU and DCEU examples under the "Film" category.

@Rado_N and @amolbhatia50k, hopefully this'll un-confuse you. Hopefully.

This movie was quite decent, critics and people nitpicking this only to bash it are hilarious. It is becoming a trend to hate DC movies now no matter the quality of actual film.

This movie was quite decent, critics and people nitpicking this only to bash it are hilarious. It is becoming a trend to hate DC movies now no matter the quality of actual film.
It's a shambles of a movie, objectively speaking. I don't give a feck about DC or Marvel and only know the difference because of the fanboys' silly arguments on the internet. I didn't read any reviews and I really wanted to like this, as I thought the trailers and cast were great.

It was just a fundamentally awful movie, really, no need for nipticking at all. Read the above comments for details.