Film Suicide Squad (2016)

Oh wow, nice. Where are you seeing it? Which cinema? Sounds like an early viewing.

I live in New Zealand which is a fairly early timezone (UTC +12), and I'm going to a 12:01AM screening on the 4th of August, basically Wednesday midnight. It's pretty cool that outside of world premieres and press screenings for media, we're pretty much the first to see films.

I live in New Zealand which is a fairly early timezone (UTC +12), and I'm going to a 12:01AM screening on the 4th of August, basically Wednesday midnight. It's pretty cool that outside of world premieres and press screenings for media, we're pretty much the first to see films.

oh wow nice, very cool. I have the midnight first viewing booked (Its thursday night, so essentially becomes Friday morning). Thankfully I live 5 minutes drive away which makes it so easy and the unlimited card means ill probably watch it more than once haha.

Been waiting for this one.

Think ill stay out of this thread from tomorrow onwards :P

Getting absolutely panned by the critics, with Margot Robbie getting a lot of stick. Leto is apparently piss poor and is barely in it

I saged the shit outta this one (Like everyone else :D )

Looked terrible from the trailers (aside from the one with Queen but that was more just a really well edited trailer) so not surprised.

Getting absolutely panned by the critics, with Margot Robbie getting a lot of stick. Leto is apparently piss poor and is barely in it

Really? I've only seen it described as average with the two you've mentioned being singled out for praise
despite there not being much Leto

Where has it been panned? (Genuine question)

I'm seeing a fair number of 3*s, which is about what I expected.

Im seeing a lot of 50/50 reviews. It's not getting panned that's for sure

Really? I've only seen it described as average with the two you've mentioned being singled out for praise
despite there not being much Leto

Where has it been panned? (Genuine question)

Im seeing a lot of 50/50 reviews. It's not getting panned that's for sure

Read three reviews. One gave it 2/5 and the other gave it a "D-" rating.

How do they mess the films up so bad?? All they have to do is rip it straight from the comics, or the animated films, which are both great. Bunch of clowns!

I've read bits of the Vanity Fair review and boy did they hate it. Other then that does seem to 50/50 saying it's forgetful fun.

Interesting about Margot Robbie I seen a couple say Margot and Viola Davies are the stand outs.

I'll still see it but my expectations have been lowered a bit.

I've read bits of the Vanity Fair review and boy did they hate it. Other then that does seem to 50/50 saying it's forgetful fun.

Interesting about Margot Robbie I seen a couple say Margot and Viola Davies are the stand outs.

I'll still see it but my expectations have been lowered a bit.

Same. Couldn't give a shit, still going to see it. Crafty wank over Margot, obviously

The trailers made it obvious enough, not sure any of you are surprised? At what point did Harley Quinn look interesting if you looked past the fact it was Robbie? The silly dialogue and messy clusterfeck of a story were too obvious too.

Wonder Woman will likely keep the DC universe aflout, since they aren't going berserk with it.

Even the good reviews seem very desperate akin to the prequel trilogy - which all got over 60% on RT by the way at initial release.

Reviews I've looked at all rate the film quite highly.

Its a comic book film - it won't please everyone, that much is obvious. I'm pumped for it.

Surprise surprise another shit DC film, the lot have been terrible and going off the early reviews this sounds the same.

5.9 from IGN just released :/

Heres some of the highlights of the good reviews on RT at the moment

"Suicide Squad is a mess"
"Its structure is messy & its storytelling is incoherent at times, but it looks good"
"The characters are the ultimate in "squad goals," but they're far more fun than the actual story itself."
"For DC, which blew it with Batman v Superman last spring, Suicide Squad is a small step forward. "
"Logic waved bye-bye to Harley a long time ago. Kind of like this movie. But in both cases, it's a damn captivating spectacle to behold."
"Haphazardly paced and generically plotted, "

It's currently at 38%, and the 6 above don't exactly sell it to me either despite being borderline fresh reviews for it. But then again, the trailers never did anything for me either.

Heres some of the highlights of the good reviews on RT at the moment

"Suicide Squad is a mess"
"Its structure is messy & its storytelling is incoherent at times, but it looks good"
"The characters are the ultimate in "squad goals," but they're far more fun than the actual story itself."
"For DC, which blew it with Batman v Superman last spring, Suicide Squad is a small step forward. "
"Logic waved bye-bye to Harley a long time ago. Kind of like this movie. But in both cases, it's a damn captivating spectacle to behold."
"Haphazardly paced and generically plotted, "

It's currently at 38%, and the 6 above don't exactly sell it to me either despite being borderline fresh reviews for it. But then again, the trailers never did anything for me either.

Its RT. Not sure why movie review sites are a good source of comic book adaptations in particular. Its subjective in many ways, not to forget there is a difficult balance in staying true to the comics and creating a spectacle as a standalone movie.

Except the good comic book movies tend to get.....good reviews and high percentages for the most part? Don't use the old "it's a comic book film" cop out excuse, it's reviewed on that basis in the first place.

Eo7ClYR.png

Suicide Squad will sit nicely next to BvS. Maybe it's not just Superhero films getting trashed but Warner Bros. rushing crap films out.

How does Iron Man 3 get 79%?

Critics do prefer Marvel, largely because Marvel usually make better movies than BvS or (apparently) Suicide Squad.

The fact that it's a comic book adaptation is irrelevant. If they're good, they'll tend to pick up good reviews.

Critics do prefer Marvel, largely because Marvel usually make better movies than BvS or (apparently) Suicide Squad.

The fact that it's a comic book adaptation is irrelevant. If they're good, they'll tend to pick up good reviews.
So why do critics cry about a lack of humour? The vast majority of movies simply do not have humour in them yet it's apparently essential that DC do.

So why do critics cry about a lack of humour? The vast majority of movies simply do not have humour in them yet it's apparently essential that DC do.

Because you can't take a superhero movie entirely seriously. They're inherently ridiculous so a bit of knowing humour goes a long away. Take that away and they're just silly.

Because you can't take a superhero movie entirely seriously. They're inherently ridiculous so a bit of knowing humour goes a long away. Take that away and they're just silly.
Yeah but the poster I quoted stated that being a comic book movie is irrelevant.
I personally love the concept. Have this 25 years ago and cast Arnie as the lead versus some predator like species and it's a classic.
Hell it could be a predator sequal

Pretty sure Wonder Woman will be a hit, Gal Gadot seemed to be well behind it at Comic Con whereas a lot of other leads just never seemed as committed so far in the series and well it just doesn't seem to be trying too hard with too much going on with it. Probably should have started the whole thing off with her instead of forcing the big hitters out of the park in awfully rushed efforts - they've already hurt Batman, Superman and now the Joker who by all accounts is shoe horned in here for a flashback.

Did critics complain about a lack of humour with Nolan's Batman films? 84, 94 and 87 on Rotten Tomatoes, hardly laugh riots. Better movies though.

Did critics complain about a lack of humour with Nolan's Batman films? 84, 94 and 87 on Rotten Tomatoes, hardly laugh riots. Better movies though.
Pre Marvel though.
Even that isn't really my point. It's slamming a movie for not having an ingrediant it never claimed to have or even be that type of movie.
It just seems like a checklist that critics go down through.
The last two Terminators sucked balls yet a lack of humour was never brought up for example.

Going to see this on Saturday night. I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread beforehand.

I'm looking forward to it. feck the critics.

Pre Marvel though.
Even that isn't really my point. It's slamming a movie for not having an ingrediant it never claimed to have or even be that type of movie.
It just seems like a checklist that critics go down through.
The last two Terminators sucked balls yet a lack of humour was never brought up for example.

This. BvS was over-slammed (fair enough it was a let down for most) because it was too dark/dull. Its like these feckers haven't seen Watchmen. What did they expect from Snyder FFS

Except the good comic book movies tend to get.....good reviews and high percentages for the most part? Don't use the old "it's a comic book film" cop out excuse, it's reviewed on that basis in the first place.

There seems to be an expectation about comic book films that Marvel have built over the years though. DC is not Marvel. Their take is dark and rests on an assumption that the viewers often already have background knowledge of characters. Its an acquired taste, but slamming movies for a lack of comedic entertainment value (like various reviews are doing right now) is just daft. It was never selling off that in the first place.

Marvel bandwagon.

I questioned my sanity after spending money on it and Thor: TDW

I don't get why everyone hated Thor 2 that much. It wasn't much different from the first one in terms of quality and its main issue was the Marvel trademark crappy, poorly motivated and all too easily disposed of villain.

Iron Man 3 on the other hand was bloody awful.

There seems to be an expectation about comic book films that Marvel have built over the years though. DC is not Marvel. Their take is dark and rests on an assumption that the viewers often already have background knowledge of characters. Its an acquired taste, but slamming movies for a lack of comedic entertainment value (like various reviews are doing right now) is just daft. It was never selling off that in the first place.

I think this is the issue, along with script writers that aren't up to the level of those Marvel have. The Warner/DC films seem to want to introduce too many characters - some of whom need introducing to movie audiences who are unfamiliar with them, some of whom do not - all in the space of three films and the stories obviously suffer for it. Marvel presumably have much less studio interference than DC as they produce films with their own dedicated studio. That same issue is probably what made Sony's Spider-Man films unravel. Spider-Man 3 and the Amazing Spider-Man 2 were dreadful for the same reasons. In fact, you could make a very good comparison between Spider-Man 3 and Batman Vs Superman, that despite the different tones, they both tried to cram too many characters and too many story threads into a single film which wasn't enough to do it justice (no pun intended).

This. BvS was over-slammed (fair enough it was a let down for most) because it was too dark/dull. Its like these feckers haven't seen Watchmen. What did they expect from Snyder FFS
Watchmen was at least an accurate representation of the characters, and there was plenty of imagery from the graphic novel he could copy. BvS was just dogshit.

Struggling to believe this is anything close to as bad as that was.