Sturridge - Sky’s new entertainer :(

bunch of old men yelling at clouds in this thread.

your time is over, dinosaurs. you guys are finished.
Yup exactly what it reads like. Bunch of uncles that must not speak to anyone younger than 40 in real life.

1. It's entirely possible that he could grow into the role

2. It's entirely possible that you are not the target and Sky don't give a feck what you think

3. It's entirely possible to ignore and continue living your (probably miserable) lives oblivious to all this

Funky bruv

He has nothing insightful to say and is massively out of his depth whenever the talk turns tactical or serious.
Not everyone is going to be a Carragher or Neville.

It would be incredibly stale and boring to have 4 tactical pundits on at any one time. Keane isn’t even up to their standard.

It’s just different strokes for different folks.

I didn't realise it was Sturridge at first and just presumed it was some presenter for Love Island or whatever. They're whole existence is cringe so I didn't mind it. Is it because he's an ex footballer?

To be fair Daniel Sturridge became an ex footballer about 8 years ago.

He aint going nowhere, the twitter masses love him.

Clearly, and so what? It's not for you... and that's ok

Yeah but you’d expect it to at least relate to the topic. A person speaking about the game can appeal to anyone. It’s a person talking. If someone is on there to specifically appeal to people who enjoy what the majority would call cringe then that’s a pretty niche audience they’re catering for.

If the characters on your favourite show suddenly got replaced by some people who just busted into dance moves every 5 minutes and spoke in weird accents would you just be like “well it’s not for me. And that’s ok”.

I don’t even really watch the analysis but it’s still not a great sign that they’re another one slowly going down the route of ‘engagement engagement engagement’. Even worse that there’s so many grown adults willing to embarrass themselves on a regular basis to be on TV.

Classic punditry is constrained to podcasts and certain radio shows, and mainstream TV punditry is just going to be a circus.

Ironic considering Sky’s latest marketing campaign is circus based.

2. It's entirely possible that you are not the target and Sky don't give a feck what you think

3. It's entirely possible to ignore and continue living your (probably miserable) lives oblivious to all this
:lol: it is so true and Red cafe still somehow amazes me how annoyed and worked up people get with pundits and commentators.

1. Yes, you may be correct.

2. I'm sure Sky do give a feck what their subscribers think, after all subscribers are dwindling and they need to retain as many as possible.

3. Yes, it could be ignored, but whats the point paying a lot of money to ignore a big percentage of it? I'm also sure thinking Sturridge is a bit of an annoying clown doesn't indicate your life is miserable.

Yeah but you’d expect it to at least relate to the topic. A person speaking about the game can appeal to anyone. It’s a person talking. If someone is on there to specifically appeal to people who enjoy what the majority would call cringe then that’s a pretty niche audience they’re catering for.

If the characters on your favourite show suddenly got replaced by some people who just busted into dance moves every 5 minutes and spoke in weird accents would you just be like “well it’s not for me. And that’s ok”.

I don’t even really watch the analysis but it’s still not a great sign that they’re another one slowly going down the route of ‘engagement engagement engagement’. Even worse that there’s so many grown adults willing to embarrass themselves on a regular basis to be on TV.
Fair post Solius and I get it I'm just pushing back against all the nonsense. This stuff ain't for me either, I don't really listen to those guys for insight but sometimes it can be mildly entertaining. If I want insight I'll pop over to YouTube where there's a loads of videos for that....

It just feels like codgers complaining about things moving on and changing from what they know and like, which is kinda what they do.... but there's a wider world out there that clearly wants this stuff right?

I don't even use social media and I've got so much content at my fingertips, and productive and non-productive things that I could be doing (most of us do) that I don't get out of shape about it I just direct my attention elsewhere.

Was about to say I don't think this content is going to be appealing to most millenials or Gen Z so not sure who they're trying to appeal to here.

I genuinely think they see the traction and clicks that Youtube/Twitter content gets and see that as believing it's what the audience wants when in reality I think that certain media has a space. Might come across a bit snobby but I would like the matches to be prime punditry and if they want to have a bit more light hearted discussion then they can put a 30 min show on afterwards or make it and put it on YT or something.

Seems to be a big hit with younger viewers and getting a lot of hate from old geezers.

It needs to be said, Roy Keane is just as bad a pundit in a lot of ways. His analysis and insights into the actual game being played are more or less nonexistent. What saves him is that he has a good screen presence, bags of charisma and a good sense of humour. Literally none of which seems to apply to Sturridge, who has all the charisma of a wet fart.

I genuinely think they see the traction and clicks that Youtube/Twitter content gets and see that as believing it's what the audience wants when in reality I think that certain media has a space. Might come across a bit snobby but I would like the matches to be prime punditry and if they want to have a bit more light hearted discussion then they can put a 30 min show on afterwards or make it and put it on YT or something.

Would be my preference as well (though to be honest, I barely even that much football anymore).

The level of analysis seems to be better in almost every other sport I watch so I imagine that isn't by accident and that's probably what most people want.

He is just stratospheric levels of cringe.

Absolute embarrassment. Obviously perfect for Sky who are desperate for caricatures instead of pundits.

Bit of a throwback with those hand gestures:

suck-it-wwe.gif

Seems to be a big hit with younger viewers and getting a lot of hate from old geezers.
It's the old geezers that are still paying for sky. I can't imagine any young person not knowing of the various and awful ways of streaming on the internet.

He is just stratospheric levels of cringe.

Absolute embarrassment. Obviously perfect for Sky who are desperate for caricatures instead of pundits.

Somebody at Sky headquarters looked at that and said "We have to get him!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

it’s strange cause Carragher and Neville are terrible commentators but great at punditry, then should be standing next to Keane

It needs to be said, Roy Keane is just as bad a pundit in a lot of ways. His analysis and insights into the actual game being played are more or less nonexistent. What saves him is that he has a good screen presence, bags of charisma and a good sense of humour. Literally none of which seems to apply to Sturridge, who has all the charisma of a wet fart.

I disagree. Keano can be a bit predictable when teams do not perform well, going to the old cliches (which are often true, just not tactical analysis) but when teams perform well or individuals stand out he is pretty on the money with his praise and he'll pick out the ones who made the most difference. I'd say Keane would be the first to spot the importance of a Carrick or a Busquets.

I get the feeling Sky Football coverage want viral videos rather than expert analysis these days. They’d rather have a video of Roy Keane reacting to zoomer talk than have some in-depth analysis of a game.

I‘m guessing everyone just mutes the TV when the footballs not happening, because of the punditry and the million ads they put on?

I’ve never really liked Sky’s coverage as I’ve got older. I find it grandiose and at times sanctimonious.

100% like all forms of media these days. The internet has taken over the world and as long as you are in public view that’s all that matters, i doesn’t matter if what you’re saying is true or relevant.

It does feel like old white guys deciding what kids would find cool and getting it completely wrong. Let’s not forget that Sturridge is 33, so not a kid himself.
Kids aint watching football punditry...

I'm guessing young adult that's into social media and the gram etc.... I don't care tbh

Fair post Solius and I get it I'm just pushing back against all the nonsense. This stuff ain't for me either, I don't really listen to those guys for insight but sometimes it can be mildly entertaining. If I want insight I'll pop over to YouTube where there's a loads of videos for that....

It just feels like codgers complaining about things moving on and changing from what they know and like, which is kinda what they do.... but there's a wider world out there that clearly wants this stuff right?

I don't even use social media and I've got so much content at my fingertips, and productive and non-productive things that I could be doing (most of us do) that I don't get out of shape about it I just direct my attention elsewhere.

I'm not so sure. I think a lot of the time it's almost hate-watching. Like not being able to look away because it's so bad. I think they and the likes of Talksport rubs their hands when they get absolute weirdos on like Sturridge and Agbonlahor.

Souness was garbage. Good riddance. We don't need two angry old men on there. Keane is enough.

I want more younger pundits that played during the modern era.
Like Scholes who offers nothing?

Good point.

Although I'm so old now I'm starting to think of young adults who are into the gram as kids...
Don't do that, unless you're a codger.... Swear you're younger than me!

I'm not so sure. I think a lot of the time it's almost hate-watching. Like not being able to look away because it's so bad. I think they and the likes of Talksport rubs their hands when they get absolute weirdos on like Sturridge and Agbonlahor.
I dunno, once I got around to watching it I didn't even think it was that bad. Just not that good either, but when was it? It's different strokes and it's rubbed some up the wrong way for various reasons....

I don't have Sky Sports so only tune in on a stream a few minutes before kick off. The punditry does nothing for me. It's not so much I think it's bad because fifteen or twenty years ago I'd tune in but it's more of getting older. The amount of time sitting and watching ex players discuss what could happen half an hour before the game can be spent doing something else better with the time.

Also when I was younger there was a feeling that the older pro's who I'd never seen as players and only knew as old heads on TV had something of authority which in hindsight is wrong because they came up with some whoppers too. But it's different now seeing the talking heads being people who you've seen their entire career play out and seeing them on TV now makes me think ... "if only you played half as good as you talk".

I’m gonna put this thread on ignore and turn the TV off when this scouse cnut or the the next Sky attempt and being modern and relevant happens, hopefully it’ll just go away.

Just.....don't watch it. You'd think Sky forced people to watch the pundit bits with the way people rage. I stopped watching it religiously so many years ago, as I wasn't enjoying it and found it dull. It's also more often adverts instead of actual analysis.

I get people being annoyed by commentators a lot more, but the blokes/women who sit at halftime/fulltime for a few minutes? Nah. I've got even LESS sympathy for the sickos who watch the build up to games. Grow up, and turn it on a few minutes before kick off.

Thierry Henry? He's a serious pundit

Yeah but… somehow he’s the same as Micah and Sturridge…

Keane is old school, he wants a football pundit to talk about football .. plain and simple.

Sky Sports has been steadily declining in quality over recent years, many of the half decent people have jumped ship in recent times.

I hope Keane decides this circus is not for him and leaves, maybe then Sky will wake up and realise the path they are on.

In fairness, Ive stopped watching the pundits rubbish and just watch the games, dont get me started on Soccer Saturday, they have absolutely killed that as a decent watch.

Keane is a less tactical pundit than Micah Richards and is actually more of a click bait comment pundit than any of the others - it’s just that he does so in a way that you don’t happen to find ‘culturally challenging’.

That’s not a criticism of Keano btw, or of Sky. Just of the double standards at work here.

I suppose its a win win for sky. They get their subs and viewing numbers for actual game itself and then get their Millennials content in with the terrible after game carry on.

Not sure if it's because I have turned 40 recently, but the clips from after the game highlight my hatred for the youth of today. That's it, I'm finally old and grumpy.

I'm not even sure if Millennialsis the right term tbh, must be showing my age with that as well.

Did you not realised that you're a millenialsis too? here in my country we have politicians and experts blasted "millenials" for not wanting to work at farms but what these people failed to realise is that so called millenials in 2023 are people of the age 40-25, millenials are NOT frickin teenagers anymore.