Film Spider-man: No Way Home

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Way better. The cinematography and camera work in the Raimi Spider-Man movies is still a joy to behold, but apart from that those films are so dated now.

Spider-Verse is a masterpiece. The best comic book film IMO.
It was annoying that they stopped the plot moving forward to do a back story on every new character. It will age much faster than any of the others. It was entertaining but nothing masterpiece about it IMO.

JB7

Catching this tomorrow, whats the situation on end-credits scenes? From memory Homecoming had a mid-credits scene like a couple of minutes in and then a Captain America scene like 10 minutes later, so do I need to sit in the cinema all the way to the end?
Had to cancel this as me & the missus caught Covid so have to isolate etc. Don't suppose there any any decent rivers for it yet as I don't fancy having to wait until after Christmas to see it?

AaronRedDevil

Not seem any of the latest spiderman stuff, only the first two they made. Are there any I should watch before this?
Maybe the Amazing spider man 2? There's some stuff from that, that' comes around in this one. Better understanding I guess.

MiceOnMeth

Saw it for the second time last night. Even better on second viewing. Complete silence again though for the "I'm something of a scientist myself" line. It's the best line in the movie dammit :lol:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Had to cancel this as me & the missus caught Covid so have to isolate etc. Don't suppose there any any decent rivers for it yet as I don't fancy having to wait until after Christmas to see it?
Cant help you with a source, but can say it will hold up well on a small screen. Get well.

Andersons Dietician

Just back from seeing this and I don’t know if it’s the general euphoria of it all but feck it. Possibly the best film I’ve ever seen. It’s a rollercoaster ride and multiple times I must have gotten dust or something in my eye as I could feel it tearing up. It’s brilliant. By far the best spiderman and probably the best Marvel movie.

The score, the special effects were mind boggling at times, just truly loved it. Think Tom Holland said it was a love letter to all the previous spider franchises and that’s how it came across.

Bebe

Why didn’t you just stay anyway? It’s not like she’s sleeping with you. Unless………plot twist?
Why didn't you stay though.

The 2nd end credits will be released officially soon no doubt.

1st one wasn't anything overly major, just a tease.
Why would you not stay? Weirdo.
I won't repeat the question @Bebe but I do wanna know the answer and thinking :lol:
We'd all gone in the same car you nutters :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Was gonna see it this week, but then we went into a complete lock down.

Feck you covid.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
We'd all gone in the same car you nutters :lol:
The first was one for Venom. He is at a bar in Mexico some dialog but the main point was when he got up, some black Venom goo was making its way to the bartender.

The second was Dr Strange meet up the Scarlett Witch in orchard and scenes that look like more multiverse fortelling

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Big pile of manipulative meh. And it basically made Tom Holland's Parker look like a giant idiot all the way through,

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Biggest takeaway is that Garfield is by far the best Spider-Man and Dafoe should get a bigger and better gig in the MCU as another villain.

I was sat next to a stranger who was a proper Spider-Man fan. I felt like a psychopath as I got a lot of emotional cues from him whilst watching the movie and I found it endearing rather than strange that a grown man was so happy by what he was seeing on screen. Perhaps because passion and heartfelt emotion is something we have drained out of us as grown-ups - he certainly filled a part of my void anyway as I was happy that he was happy and took on some of that via osmosis. Not that I didn't enjoy the movie, as I thought it was good enough, but to be sat next to someone who will seemingly treasure it was a pleasant experience rather than a nauseating one.

I'm not really a Spider-Man fan and his opponents aren't particularly interesting to me until you get to the likes of the comic version of Venom and Hulk, (Dr. Oc's tentacles have never looked more imposing than what they managed with the CGI in this, however), so I do find myself quite detached and offering a real time critique when watching these movies. I find the movies struggle to convey Spider-Man's abilities other than being agile and throwing webs, but they don't really try to, either. It's more him trying to evade the big bad(s) whilst containing them in some way or another rather than outright fight any of them.

I felt Garfield made it abundantly clear he was the best actor and Spider-Man of the lot in this film and that he got the short straw with the films he was given and the way he got canned. I wonder if they will find a way to use him or give a multiverse arc where he gets more shine. If this is him done, it seems a waste.

The Spiderverse film is the best of the lot by some distance, for me, but I can appreciate this film and would implore anyone to watch it in the cinema unless they have a wall-sized projector at home replete with a top class sound system, as you're not going to get close to the same experience watching it on a basic TV, even if you've got a 65" at home.

I'm guessing if you're a genuine Spider-Man fan, this film is a form of catnip for you, if you're not, it's still a nice time out and deserves to be watched on the big screen, not at home. It opens the world up to numerous good possibilities and I think they've done the character some justice in how he's portrayed: you might as well say we got see three stages of life for the same character in this, as intended and each Spidey played his role well in that even if Garfield stole the show.

7.5/10.

KingCavani

Big pile of manipulative meh. And it basically made Tom Holland's Parker look like a giant idiot all the way through,
I was happy to be manipulated so I still enjoyed it.

There are some monumentally stupid aspects to the plot though that really do flirt with being beyond overlooking. You obviously accept some stupidity with comic book movies but this one really does push it to new heights for the sake of making certain things happen.

I think this movie actually made Dr. Strange look like the real idiot of the story.

Moby

Dick

There are some monumentally stupid aspects to the plot though that really do flirt with being beyond overlooking. You obviously accept some stupidity with comic book movies but this one really does push it to new heights for the sake of making certain things happen.

I think this movie actually made Dr. Strange look like the real idiot of the story.
This was literally meant to be a home alone kinda feel good humorous christmas movie with loads of nostalgia and fan service thrown in. People went in looking for a formidable plot? :lol:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Like what?

Regarding strange,, it's very unlike him to do the shit he done. However I argue, he's no longer sorcerer supreme, he no longer protects the time stone, perhaps he's feeling he can get away with more now that he doesn't have any responsibilities or shackles.

KingCavani

This was literally meant to be a home alone kinda feel good humorous christmas movie with loads of nostalgia and fan service thrown in. People went in looking for a formidable plot? :lol:
Buddy I literally said in that post that I accept stupidity with comic book movies. However there are levels of stupidity which can derail the whole thing and the genre isn't an excuse. Think late stage Game of Thrones. Plenty of comic book stories/movies have a coherent plot with consistent characters.

Moby

Dick
Buddy I literally said in that post that I accept stupidity with comic book movies. However there are levels of stupidity which can derail the whole thing and the genre isn't an excuse. Think late stage Game of Thrones. Plenty of comic book stories/movies have a coherent plot with consistent characters.
No Im not talking about all comic movies but this one in particular. It was 100% meant to be a love letter for all the old spiderman fans with zero plot. Like I said above I'd compare it to something like Home Alone.

KingCavani

Like what?

Regarding strange,, it's very unlike him to do the shit he done. However I argue, he's no longer sorcerer supreme, he no longer protects the time stone, perhaps he's feeling he can get away with more now that he doesn't have any responsibilities or shackles.
Well there was literally no reason for some of the characters to be there. The suggested reason why people arrived wasn't applicable for all characters.

In my opinion the stakes just weren't high enough to justify what Peter/Strange do. This could have been easily fixed and I think this is where they suffered from not having established Spiderman enemies alive in the universe that could post a real threat with his identity revealed. Like it does become absurdly ridiculous that all of that transpired could have been avoided with a phone call.

KingCavani

No Im not talking about all comic movies but this one in particular. It was 100% meant to be a love letter for all the old spiderman fans with zero plot. Like I said above I'd compare it to something like Home Alone.
And that's fine and I enjoyed it for that but it doesn't mean it should be above criticism. There are ways where I feel all of that could be achieved with a less ridiculous plot.

Moby

Dick
And that's fine and I enjoyed it for that but it doesn't mean it should be above criticism. There are ways where I feel all of that could be achieved with a less ridiculous plot.
I'm saying the plot was intentionally doe as ridiculously stupid, that's pretty much the premise of something that's purely made as a superhero comedy mashup of around 7-8 previous movies. This movie has sweet feckall to do with anything before or after. Dr. Strange will start from where Loki ended.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I really really enjoyed it. Is it cheating? Sure (it basically didn't have to spend any time on any of the villains back stories) Is it cheesy? Of course (but hey it's a Marvel film)... but hey it's really well put together, with some cracking moments and just really good fun.

I did enjoy Andrew Garfield apologising for not being black :lol:

KingCavani

I'm saying the plot was intentionally doe as ridiculously stupid, that's pretty much the premise of something that's purely made as a superhero comedy mashup of around 7-8 previous movies. This movie has sweet feckall to do with anything before or after. Dr. Strange will start from where Loki ended.
It's inevitably stupid because of what they're doing but I don't think it's intentionally made worse and they obviously try to have things make sense where possible elsewise why bother having any sort of plot at all? And there are good things in the story of this movie - Particularly when it comes to Norman Osborne - I loved his arc and it was consistent with what the established character would do. Same for another few characters but don't want to say anything that would spoil anything.

Basically I think this movie would have been significantly better had they just made Peter's situation more desperate, which would have been easy to do. It would have made the insanely reckless decision that Strange/Peter make a lot more reasonable.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Isn't Strange suppose to be a variant? I assumed he was - noone is this magnificently stupid and terrible at their job after being established over 3 movies as someone who is...not terrible at their job.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
That was such a disappointment. I had the impression that many moments I thought were cheesy and cringe were taken much differently by most / some people in the cinema, so ok - I’m not exactly the target audience. But still, that plot was DC-level bad. I could not understand the motivations of half the characters.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
That was such a disappointment. I had the impression that many moments I thought were cheesy and cringe were taken much differently by most / some people in the cinema, so ok - I’m not exactly the target audience. But still, that plot was DC-level bad. I could not understand the motivations of half the characters.
"I'm not the problem, everyone else is"

Way better. The cinematography and camera work in the Raimi Spider-Man movies is still a joy to behold, but apart from that those films are so dated now.

Spider-Verse is a masterpiece. The best comic book film IMO.
Better than The Dark Knight?

This film is great btw. Willem Dafoe what a performance!

Blood Mage

Better than The Dark Knight?

This film is great btw. Willem Dafoe what a performance!
For me The Dark Knight is a very ordinary by-the-numbers crime thriller elevated by an iconic performance from Heath Ledger. I think Spider-Verse is a much more subversive and inventive film.

OleGunnar20

Agreed, thought it was pretty naff. Fun in parts I guess? With long spells of weird pacing, terrible dialogue and muddled plot.

It was nice to see the old spideys back in action mind. Holland was great, as was Defoe.

Each to their own ey! Glad that people liked it so much.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Hey come on, you're supposed to love every 500 million leave-your-brain-at-home nonsense Marvel churns out.

Oldyella

It's inevitably stupid because of what they're doing but I don't think it's intentionally made worse and they obviously try to have things make sense where possible elsewise why bother having any sort of plot at all? And there are good things in the story of this movie - Particularly when it comes to Norman Osborne - I loved his arc and it was consistent with what the established character would do. Same for another few characters but don't want to say anything that would spoil anything.

Basically I think this movie would have been significantly better had they just made Peter's situation more desperate, which would have been easy to do. It would have made the insanely reckless decision that Strange/Peter make a lot more reasonable.
Agreed, a minor villain should have made an attempt on Aunt May's life early on and be foiled by Peter. Show some real stakes alongside not getting into college, give some early action and give a solid reason for Strange to do what he does.
Would also make what comes later hit harder when we think her danger had passed.

Minor quibble though, still loved it.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The biggest thing turning me off about going to see at the cinema, is how much I couldn’t stand the Jonah Jameson character. Even in the NWH credit scene where he came up, my heart sank thinking the next film would have him as a central character. I think J.K. Simmons is generally fantastic, but I hated his shouty, over the top portrayal. The character felt too comicy, even for a comic book film. Even if that’s how he is in the comics - it needed to be updated and made a little more sophisticated or subtle. I found everything about his character annoyingly unwatchable in the earlier films - meme’s aside. So I guess my only question is whether he is a major character in this? Because i don’t think I’ll be able to stand it if he is.:lol:
To be fair, Sam Raimi has never been a master of subtlety! I always thought the JJJ scenes from the Raimi trilogy were the most obviously shot and framed to be more or less comic book storyboards, and that required an over the top performance. Personally as a comics fan I can't have imagined a better portrayal, but I can understand how that might have been off-putting.

I think they've made him more tonally consistent with the MCU in this film - whilst updating certain ridiculous aspects of his character to make him a pretty obvious parody of Alex Jones (complete with one of the funniest jokes in the MCU I thought).

He's definitely not what I would call a central character - he might have ~8-10 minutes of screentime in total?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
To be fair, Sam Raimi has never been a master of subtlety! I always thought the JJJ scenes from the Raimi trilogy were the most obviously shot and framed to be more or less comic book storyboards, and that required an over the top performance. Personally as a comics fan I can't have imagined a better portrayal, but I can understand how that might have been off-putting.

I think they've made him more tonally consistent with the MCU in this film - whilst updating certain ridiculous aspects of his character to make him a pretty obvious parody of Alex Jones (complete with one of the funniest jokes in the MCU I thought).

He's definitely not what I would call a central character - he might have ~8-10 minutes of screentime in total?
Thank you!!!