Film Spider-man: No Way Home

MadMike

Cheesy humour and a predictable plot dripping with nostalgia. No new characters, no real character development either. Decent action, graphics and score though. Maybe a 7/10 movie, a decent popcorn muncher.

It’s sitting at 9.0 on IMDb atm as a top 10 of all time, which for me is ludicrous. It’s not a top 250 movie, never mind top 10. It’s not even the best Spider-Man flick.

I’d say go with low expectations and you might enjoy it better. I guess I went in expecting a better superhero movie than Nolan’s Dark Knight I became disappointed as the film progressed.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Saw it for the second time last night. Even better on second viewing. Complete silence again though for the "I'm something of a scientist myself" line. It's the best line in the movie dammit :lol:
I was the only one laughing at that line in my cinema, but I thought it was the funniest scene in the whole film :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Good to very good. I enjoyed it. My drawbacks are the predictability, sloppy logic from Spiderman to try and cure everyone and the chemistry between the multi spidermans felt rushed.

Still really enjoyable overall though, particularly the final 20 mins or so. I prefer Thor Ragnorak and the two guardians movies easily but this is still a strong flick.

Judas

Open to offers
Cheesy humour and a predictable plot dripping with nostalgia. No new characters, no real character development either. Decent action, graphics and score though. Maybe a 7/10 movie, a decent popcorn muncher.

It’s sitting at 9.0 on IMDb atm as a top 10 of all time, which for me is ludicrous. It’s not a top 250 movie, never mind top 10. It’s not even the best Spider-Man flick.

I’d say go with low expectations and you might enjoy it better. I guess I went in expecting a better superhero movie than Nolan’s Dark Knight I became disappointed as the film progressed.
Why did you have that sort of expectation?! Had you not watched the previous Spiderman films of the last few years? Even with the praise, MCU films are never going to be anything like that.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Are these super heroe films really a 9 out of 10?

Like one of the best movies ever?

I remember an avengers film being rated highly and I watched it and I couldn't finish the film.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I remember an avengers film being rated highly and I watched it and I couldn't finish the film.
No. They're hyped more because of nostalgia and memes and social media.

Enjoyable films but overhyped.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
No. They're hyped more because of nostalgia and memes and social media.

Enjoyable films but overhyped.
Well it's good for the people who enjoy it -

But it feels like superhero films are getting rated a different level to normal films now because they have kind of gotten the norm.

I just say this because I'm a big IMDB guy - I tend to only watch movies if they have a good rating first (so I know if I should or shouldn't waste my time) -

But now that's slowly getting bombarded with highly rated superhero films.

Things like The Dark Knight and its acting can be understood but I'm less sure about the modern day superhero films.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well it's good for the people who enjoy it -

But it feels like superhero films are getting rated a different level to normal films now because they have kind of gotten the norm.

I just say this because I'm a big IMDB guy - I tend to only watch movies if they have a good rating first (so I know if I should or shouldn't waste my time) -

But now that's slowly getting bombarded with highly rated superhero films.

Things like The Dark Knight and its acting can be understood but I'm less sure about the modern day superhero films.
Yeah, when you see a comic film there are a lot of fans who had already decided they love the film before the first scene.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yeah, when you see a comic film there are a lot of fans who had already decided they love the film before the first scene.
Honestly think it's the complete opposite. There sa lot of people who will already decide a film is overhyped and average at best before the first scene.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being excited for a film and the MCU has had its let downs.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Quite possibly the best MCU movie so far. The movie had everything - comedy, action, emotion, nostalgia in addition to a good script, acting, music and obviously Zendaya <3

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Honestly think it's the complete opposite. There sa lot of people who will already decide a film is overhyped and average at best before the first scene.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being excited for a film and the MCU has had its let downs.
It's really not. Most of the movie goers for Spiderman and Batman etc. are those who know what they're going in for. The groups of audience that aren't keen on superhero movies know to avoid it.

Then you large, large sects of crowds who will come dressed up in superhero attire, bringing phones to cheer on the first scene they see the costume, the first scene they see the villain or whatever. They are there for the satisfaction of seeing their comic hero's on the big screen which gives the flick a big headstart. As long as it has the humour and isn't sloppy then it's already a big hit. Taking a sample of some friends I watched Endgame with - out of 5 of us me + 2 others were disappointed. The other 2 had said they know it was a let down for them but they dont give a feck because it was the final battle, they invested so much time in to the franchise and they'd watch it another 3 times (?!).

Whereas a generic action film needs to do much, much more. This Spiderman film was a great representation of that too. It wasn't that funny but interactions between nostalgic characters was what carried the film and so many people had decided that it's great for this reason. Stuff like "oh my god Goblin vs Osborne" or whatever dedicates the narrative of a thumbs up or a thumbs down rather than the actual movie itself.

Social media is also a big driver. We had shit on LADbible and what not with a pic of the movie before release saying "early reviews of the movie say its the best ever! Can you wait?". And that narrative just creates bandwagon hype. So many people are brain warped to think its good in fear of missing out with the majority too. I had 3 conversations with my wifes friends (who aren't even that keen on super-hero films) asking me if I saw Spiderman because they hear its so amazing :lol:

siw2007

As someone who is a staunch believer that Spider-Man 2 is the best Spider-Man film ever, and has never really been into the almost Neo- SM themes in Holland’s iteration, I was actually thoroughly impressed by the spectacle. Amazing CGI, great set pieces, plenty of nostalgia and great cameos went down very well.

As great as it was to see so many returning villains (especially the main two), they don’t have the same impact they did so many years ago. Them having to share the spotlight with each other and on top of that, they lacked the story plot which made them alluring characters in their films took away the menace and tension surrounding them. This was kind of inevitable with the direction they took the film in so hopefully with the impeding villain in no.4 that it is rectified.

Otherwise, would give the film an 8/10. One of the best Spider-Man films made yet. Great spectacle, though losing out a higher grade due to story points. Next time, I would like to see fewer characters and slightly more focus on Spider-Man vs new villain.

MiceOnMeth

Quite possibly the best MCU movie so far. The movie had everything - comedy, action, emotion, nostalgia in addition to a good script, acting, music and obviously Zendaya <3
I'd have it behind IW, end game and The winter soldier but yeah top 5 definitely

Sylar

It's really not. Most of the movie goers for Spiderman and Batman etc. are those who know what they're going in for. The groups of audience that aren't keen on superhero movies know to avoid it.

Then you large, large sects of crowds who will come dressed up in superhero attire, bringing phones to cheer on the first scene they see the costume, the first scene they see the villain or whatever. They are there for the satisfaction of seeing their comic hero's on the big screen which gives the flick a big headstart. As long as it has the humour and isn't sloppy then it's already a big hit. Taking a sample of some friends I watched Endgame with - out of 5 of us me + 2 others were disappointed. The other 2 had said they know it was a let down for them but they dont give a feck because it was the final battle, they invested so much time in to the franchise and they'd watch it another 3 times (?!).

Whereas a generic action film needs to do much, much more. This Spiderman film was a great representation of that too. It wasn't that funny but interactions between nostalgic characters was what carried the film and so many people had decided that it's great for this reason. Stuff like "oh my god Goblin vs Osborne" or whatever dedicates the narrative of a thumbs up or a thumbs down rather than the actual movie itself.

Social media is also a big driver. We had shit on LADbible and what not with a pic of the movie before release saying "early reviews of the movie say its the best ever! Can you wait?". And that narrative just creates bandwagon hype. So many people are brain warped to think its good in fear of missing out with the majority too. I had 3 conversations with my wifes friends (who aren't even that keen on super-hero films) asking me if I saw Spiderman because they hear its so amazing :lol:
It can work both ways. Ive seen captain Marvel and black Panther both, highly rated due to the first female lead and the first black lead in MCU
But for the same reasons people bombarding it with hate giving it both an overrating and unnecessary hatred.

Im a huge fan of spiderman similar to Batman due to the street level stuff and the gallery of villains
I think this is one of the best MCU movies (I still have IW as the best given the build up and winter soldier maybe the best stand alone movie)

I kinda get what you mean with regards to comic book movies having a different rating too

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It can work both ways. Ive seen captain Marvel and black Panther both, highly rated due to the first female lead and the first black lead in MCU
But for the same reasons people bombarding it with hate giving it both an overrating and unnecessary hatred.
Captain Marvel was a pile of wank and it's not because of the first female lead, but because it was patronising with the woman empowerment. It got the hate that Wonder Woman 1 didn't get because the latter was better crafted whereas the former was just playing overtly on the feminism way too much. Almost every scene Marvel comes in has to have a "women are better than men" undertone, not a "women are equal" one. I will still remember that scene in Endgame where Spiderman dodges all the bad guys with Thanos' glove and she looks down on him with a petty "hey peter parker, got something for me" like he was some pussy bitch delivery boy :lol:. This is before they go out with an all female battle scene, which was just a bit obviously trying to promote women.

The hate Captain Marvel gets is not because she's a woman. Not at all. It's that the whole narrative about female power dictated every scene she was in and movie goers found that extremely patronising.

Black Panther I thought was a solid film, and it gets a fair reflection on imdb at 7.3. The issue here is that Spiderman is overhyped on it's rating because of the nostalgia and the bandwagon elements of it. As a film it's enjoyable enough, probably a solid 7. But anything above 8 let alone 9? Get outta here!

Im a huge fan of spiderman similar to Batman due to the street level stuff and the gallery of villains
I think this is one of the best MCU movies (I still have IW as the best given the build up and winter soldier maybe the best stand alone movie)

I kinda get what you mean with regards to comic book movies having a different rating too
The beauty of cinema is that everyone can have their own opinion - for example yours that Spiderman is one of the best MCU movies is fair enough. For me it's behind Thor 3 and both Guardians as a minimum. But I think there is a huge fear of missing out on the hype factor with this one. All over twitter there are funny memes and videos of people dressing up as Spiderman and that creates the positive energy around the movie. The Tom Holland and Zendeya chemistry off the movie is also a factor that a lot of people buy into, and then seeing old villans that they identified with as kids among other throwbacks, all of these have little to do with the movie itself.

Sylar

Captain Marvel was a pile of wank and it's not because of the first female lead, but because it was patronising with the woman empowerment. It got the hate that Wonder Woman 1 didn't get because the latter was better crafted whereas the former was just playing overtly on the feminism way too much. Almost every scene Marvel comes in has to have a "women are better than men" undertone, not a "women are equal" one. I will still remember that scene in Endgame where Spiderman dodges all the bad guys with Thanos' glove and she looks down on him with a petty "hey peter parker, got something for me" like he was some pussy bitch delivery boy :lol:. This is before they go out with an all female battle scene, which was just a bit obviously trying to promote women.

The hate Captain Marvel gets is not because she's a woman. Not at all. It's that the whole narrative about female power dictated every scene she was in and movie goers found that extremely patronising.

Black Panther I thought was a solid film, and it gets a fair reflection on imdb at 7.3. The issue here is that Spiderman is overhyped on it's rating because of the nostalgia and the bandwagon elements of it. As a film it's enjoyable enough, probably a solid 7. But anything above 8 let alone 9? Get outta here!

The beauty of cinema is that everyone can have their own opinion - for example yours that Spiderman is one of the best MCU movies is fair enough. For me it's behind Thor 3 and both Guardians as a minimum. But I think there is a huge fear of missing out on the hype factor with this one. All over twitter there are funny memes and videos of people dressing up as Spiderman and that creates the positive energy around the movie. The Tom Holland and Zendeya chemistry off the movie is also a factor that a lot of people buy into, and then seeing old villans that they identified with as kids among other throwbacks, all of these have little to do with the movie itself.
Its fair you don't like captain Marvel for those reasons, but captain marvel had a lot of hate and negative reviews before it was even released is my point

It also had over the top praise because of the female lead too. It works both ways

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Its fair you don't like captain Marvel for those reasons, but captain marvel had a lot of hate and negative reviews before it was even released is my point

It also had over the top praise because of the female lead too. It works both ways
Yeah a lot of the hate was because of the actors overly feminist views that weren't even feminist but hating on guys.
Again, it didnt get hate because theres a female lead.

For example this one: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/morganshanahan/not-all-men

She got negative media for it before the movie and it didnt help that the movie was ultimately a reflection of misguided feminism on top.

Andy_Cole

Willem Dafoe made this movie incredible. A superhero movie is only great with a top tier villain. That is why this tops the MCU with Infinity War.

reelworld

Yeah a lot of the hate was because of the actors overly feminist views that weren't even feminist but hating on guys.
Again, it didnt get hate because theres a female lead.

For example this one: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/morganshanahan/not-all-men

She got negative media for it before the movie and it didnt help that the movie was ultimately a reflection of misguided feminism on top.
:lol: so a woman feeling uncomfortable seeing man in authority asking her number is hating men? ridiculous

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
:lol: so a woman feeling uncomfortable seeing man in authority asking her number is hating men? ridiculous
To say that being a woman means you are forever living on the defence because of men is hating on men. Yes.

hungrywing

The poster you guys are responding to has a loooooooooong track record of thinking/aggressively-posturing-they're-woke/enlightened/in-a-place-to-condescend-to-others/righteous-but-no.

Godfather

Overrated. Decent movie but I liked the first Spiderman movies a lot more. Gets so over the top these last few films. I really have no clue how this is getting such crazy good reviews. It's a 6, maybe 7/10 movie. Defoe was brilliant though. Also I don't like Holland as Spiderman for some reason. Much preferred Garfield and even Maguire. Could be due to the movies though. They got irritating with Holland.

Last edited:

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Finally saw it today after avoiding spoilers for 2 weeks like Neo dodges bullets. A solid 7/10 - the first half dragged I felt and the humour was nowhere near as good as previous MCU films. Dafoe was outstanding and when the other two turned up it was very good but I genuinely don’t get the hype it’s getting - and I love Spidey! Everything was very predictable and I think into the spider-verse did the concept so much better…but maybe I’m just getting old…

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Has to be the dumbest PP of all time.

Enjoyable film but definitely not a 9/10.

Guy Incognito

Biggest takeaway is that Garfield is by far the best Spider-Man and Dafoe should get a bigger and better gig in the MCU as another villain.

I was sat next to a stranger who was a proper Spider-Man fan. I felt like a psychopath as I got a lot of emotional cues from him whilst watching the movie and I found it endearing rather than strange that a grown man was so happy by what he was seeing on screen. Perhaps because passion and heartfelt emotion is something we have drained out of us as grown-ups - he certainly filled a part of my void anyway as I was happy that he was happy and took on some of that via osmosis. Not that I didn't enjoy the movie, as I thought it was good enough, but to be sat next to someone who will seemingly treasure it was a pleasant experience rather than a nauseating one.

I'm not really a Spider-Man fan and his opponents aren't particularly interesting to me until you get to the likes of the comic version of Venom and Hulk, (Dr. Oc's tentacles have never looked more imposing than what they managed with the CGI in this, however), so I do find myself quite detached and offering a real time critique when watching these movies. I find the movies struggle to convey Spider-Man's abilities other than being agile and throwing webs, but they don't really try to, either. It's more him trying to evade the big bad(s) whilst containing them in some way or another rather than outright fight any of them.

I felt Garfield made it abundantly clear he was the best actor and Spider-Man of the lot in this film and that he got the short straw with the films he was given and the way he got canned. I wonder if they will find a way to use him or give a multiverse arc where he gets more shine. If this is him done, it seems a waste.

The Spiderverse film is the best of the lot by some distance, for me, but I can appreciate this film and would implore anyone to watch it in the cinema unless they have a wall-sized projector at home replete with a top class sound system, as you're not going to get close to the same experience watching it on a basic TV, even if you've got a 65" at home.

I'm guessing if you're a genuine Spider-Man fan, this film is a form of catnip for you, if you're not, it's still a nice time out and deserves to be watched on the big screen, not at home. It opens the world up to numerous good possibilities and I think they've done the character some justice in how he's portrayed: you might as well say we got see three stages of life for the same character in this, as intended and each Spidey played his role well in that even if Garfield stole the show.

7.5/10.
Great review, you've summarised it better than I could. Garfield and Cumberbatch have so much range as actors.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Terrible film, such a contrived plot which lacked any logic and used several implausible plot devices to push the story forward.

Shame as I really looked forward to seeing all the old cast back and I did enjoy their individual displays but it was ruined by the overall storyline.

The sudden sad moment kind of lacked any substance due to the stupidity that went before it. Great CGI though.

4/10. Cannot believe the hype this has received. One of the weakest Marvel films I’ve seen in terms of narrative.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Terrible film, such a contrived plot which lacked any logic and used several implausible plot devices to push the story forward.

Shame as I really looked forward to seeing all the old cast back and I did enjoy their individual displays but it was ruined by the overall storyline.

The sudden sad moment kind of lacked any substance due to the stupidity that went before it. Great CGI though.

4/10. Cannot believe the hype this has received. One of the weakest Marvel films I’ve seen in terms of narrative.
Aye.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think people who like super hero films tend to rate almost every Marvel film as amazing

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
It was a really enjoyable bit of fun. And sometimes in a cold harsh world that’s enough.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think people who like super hero films tend to rate almost every Marvel film as amazing
Blanket comment with no merit. I tend to hate more marvel films than not but a good comic book film can be a solid film in its own right although only the Dark Knight or films of that calibre for me would be a film that can be compared to genuine elite level films.

For example hated the first two Thor films but Ragnorak was a solid film, likewise took me a while to get round to liking Avengers but Infinity War was pretty cool.

This Spider-Man saga has been overhyped ridiculously though - second film was okay kid flick but the other two have been shite. Not a patch on the original films.

Bwuk

Watched it again and felt the story is weak.

The villains motivations are poor.

Sylar

Their motivation of not wanting to go back and die and continue to be villains in a place where they feel stronger?