Film Spider-man: No Way Home

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why would anyone be upset about it? It's just strange as this was nowhere near an 8 or 9.
Think its mostly that Marvel has found the type of movie the average movie goer really likes. Most top critics don't give perfect or near perfect scores to any of em. Imdb is just popularity with normal fans.

Mercurial

Rotten Tomatoes score as of today;
Critics 94%
Audience 98%

That's pretty unanimous

stevoc

Why would anyone be upset about it? It's just strange as this was nowhere near an 8 or 9.
Upset, strange whatever. Why do people care about IMDB scores?

I don't think the Shawshank Redemption (as much as I love it) is the best movie ever but it's been top on IMDB for over a decade. But the consensus disagrees with me, opinions eh?

stevoc

Think its mostly that Marvel has found the type of movie the average movie goer really likes. Most top critics don't give perfect or near perfect scores to any of em. Imdb is just popularity with normal fans.
Yep lots of people will rate a Movie a 10 or a 1 without putting to much thought into it or pondering if the movie they've just watched really is one of the top 10 or worst 10 movies ever made.

Godfather

Upset, strange whatever. Why do people care about IMDB scores?

I don't think the Shawshank Redemption (as much as I love it) is the best movie ever but it's been top on IMDB for over a decade. But the consensus disagrees with me, opinions eh?
I think it's mostly down to expectation. I saw these crazy reviews about that film on rotten tomatoes and was pretty underwhelmed. But yeah each to their own. But in all honesty compare this to other films that have a rating like this on rotten tomatoes. It's up there with LotR ffs

jeff_goldblum

Saw it last night and thought it was great, probably the best Marvel one I've seen barring Spiderverse.
It probably hit my sweet spot with having Toby Maguire and his era of villains in alongside Tom Holland's lot - gave me a bit of insight into how big fans of the various MCU characters must feel seeing them all mesh together in the ensemble films. Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina are both great in those roles, the former especially was perfect. Enjoyed the banter between the Spidermen although I'd predicted an extended riff on the webshooter thing before the film.

I liked the reset at the end from a narrative point of view - if they decide to call Tom Holland's time as Spiderman there it's a great bittersweet ending and closes off the arc of him maturing and if not it widens the field in terms of where the character can go. Means you don't constantly have the thing of 'well why doesn't he go to Happy/Strange whenever he has a problem?' and whilst I liked the dynamic of the trio of him MJ and Ned, shipping the other two off to Boston with no memory of Peter again opens the field to explore some new relationships. If they do bring those two back as central characters it should be a payoff at the end of another trilogy - if they came back immediately it'd sort of feel a bit hollow in my opinion.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Rotten Tomatoes score as of today;
Critics 94%
Audience 98%

That's pretty unanimous
The way rotten tomatoes works that means 94% of critics gave it a fresh rating which means 6/10 and up, right? Not that they gave it a 9.4, or am I reading that wrong.

hungrywing

The way rotten tomatoes works that means 94% of critics gave it a fresh rating which means 6/10 and up, right? Not that they gave it a 9.4, or am I reading that wrong.
Yes although you should really just bow down to the [striketheough]algorithmically manufactured[/strikethrough] consensus and accept that it’s better than Casablanca.

Andy_Cole

For me it’s a 9/10 movie. But I grew up on the Spider-Man cartoon, Toby’s Spider-Man movies etc. He was always my favourite superhero with Wolverine (and later Batman).

For someone who doesn’t give a shit then the score maybe lower. But if you gave no shits then why watch in the first place.

stevoc

I think it's mostly down to expectation. I saw these crazy reviews about that film on rotten tomatoes and was pretty underwhelmed. But yeah each to their own. But in all honesty compare this to other films that have a rating like this on rotten tomatoes. It's up there with LotR ffs
The release date will affect these ratings going forward I think. There are way more people now who have internet access and are inclined to rate a Movie on IMDB than there were 20 years ago when Lord of the Rings came out.

The Hilton

For me it’s a 9/10 movie. But I grew up on the Spider-Man cartoon, Toby’s Spider-Man movies etc. He was always my favourite superhero with Wolverine (and later Batman).

For someone who doesn’t give a shit then the score maybe lower. But if you gave no shits then why watch in the first place.
So your logic is like Spiderman = Spiderman film is 9/10? Does that mean all Spiderman films are 9/10?

Plenty of us who love Spiderman can judge a film objectively instead, and while it's decent, the plot relies on a string of stupid decisions, the CGI gets a bit ropey, and unfortunately the main character is overshadowed by loads of other much better actors with more interesting characters.

I enjoyed it, despite its flaws, and would give it a 7/10.

Andy_Cole

So your logic is like Spiderman = Spiderman film is 9/10? Does that mean all Spiderman films are 9/10?

Plenty of us who love Spiderman can judge a film objectively instead, and while it's decent, the plot relies on a string of stupid decisions, the CGI gets a bit ropey, and unfortunately the main character is overshadowed by loads of other much better actors with more interesting characters.

No my logic was as I like Spider-Man it’s a 9/10 as it ticks loads of boxes for me. Spider-Man 3 or the amazing Spider-Man’s were not 9/10.

The Hilton

No my logic was as I like Spider-Man it’s a 9/10 as it ticks loads of boxes for me. Spider-Man 3 or the amazing Spider-Man’s were not 9/10.
OK but you said if people gave less of a toss they'd give a lower score, but those people shouldn't bother watching anyway. The way it was worded seemed that if you like Spiderman you should automatically think the film was top notch, which I disagree with.

Anyway, all I'm saying is its fun but flawed. Happy new year dude.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Watched it on NYE and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Possibly my favourite from Marvel. It was genuinely funny and had a ton of heart.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
What's the point in curing all the villains if they're just gonna die when they get back to their universe?

Oldyella

What's the point in curing all the villains if they're just gonna die when they get back to their universe?
I thought curing them meant they wouldn't die, as when they got back they wouldn't be trying to fight Spiderman?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Thought the film was average and thought it was obviously rushed.

Tobey CGI was terrible.

For me it goes

GOAT - Spider-Man 2 & Spiderverse
A tier - Far From Home and Homecoming
B tier - Spider-Man 1, Amazing Spider Man 1 and No Way Home
C tier - Amazing Spider Man 2 and Spider-Man 3

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

This basically

Moby

Dick
Thought the film was average and thought it was obviously rushed.

Tobey CGI was terrible.

For me it goes

GOAT - Spider-Man 2 & Spiderverse
A tier - Far From Home and Homecoming
B tier - Spider-Man 1, Amazing Spider Man 1 and No Way Home
C tier - Amazing Spider Man 2 and Spider-Man 3
Far from home was hot garbage.

Tibs

I would hate it if somebody DMd me a link to Far From Home so I can watch that before going to the cinema to watch this new one

Many thanks for not sending me anything

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Watched it today. Pretty good way to spend an afternoon. Im nit-picking, and it immediately feels stupid to critique a Marvel plot point but I will say the ending was a bit annoying.

"Doesn't matter how we get there, but at the end Parker needs to be in this particular life situation for future films to work"

So we end up with one of those clichéd 'this is the only way!' solutions when someone as powerful as Cumberbatchs character seemed to be (admittedly I haven't seen his film) could have probably found a better solution in his spell book

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Watched it today. Pretty good way to spend an afternoon. Im nit-picking, and it immediately feels stupid to critique a Marvel plot point but I will say the ending was a bit annoying.

"Doesn't matter how we get there, but at the end Parker needs to be in this particular life situation for future films to work"

So we end up with one of those clichéd 'this is the only way!' solutions when someone as powerful as Cumberbatchs character seemed to be (admittedly I haven't seen his film) could have probably found a better solution in his spell book
I mean yeah that was the dumbest part of the movie imo, the whole "can you make everyone forget Peter Parker". Surely if he could do that he could just make everyone forget that Mysterio had told everyone he was Peter Parker?

In a movie I really enjoyed that felt kind of hackily tacked on for added feels.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I mean yeah that was the dumbest part of the movie imo, the whole "can you make everyone forget Peter Parker". Surely if he could do that he could just make everyone forget that Mysterio had told everyone he was Peter Parker?

In a movie I really enjoyed that felt kind of hackily tacked on for added feels.

If I'm being very generous to the film, maybe Peter put forward this specific idea because having met the other versions of himself he instinctively understood in that moment that it was the best solution?

By which I mean this whole scenario started because he wanted to shield his friends from the impact of knowing him. And Aunt May had died, again specifically because she was his aunt. But then he heard from the other Spider-men about how their Uncles had similarly died after teaching them the same "with great power" lesson. And that Gwen Stacey had died, and Harry Osborne had died, etc.

The point being that having met the other versions of himself, he actually knows what we the audience know to be one of the defining traits of the Peter Parker character: that things don't really work out for him and the people he loves pay a price. And now understanding this, he decides the best solution if for people to forget who he is entirely. Because that doesn't just save them from the consequences of Mysterio's revelation and the consequences of the universe imploding (or whatever), but also the more fate-like consequences of being Peter Parker's loved ones. Whereas if people had just forgotten Mysterio's revelation or whatever then MJ & Ned would have still been on the same doomed path that the likes of Gwen & Harry were in other iterations.

Oldyella

If I'm being very generous to the film, maybe Peter put forward this specific idea because having met the other versions of himself he instinctively understood in that moment that it was the best solution?

By which I mean this whole scenario started because he wanted to shield his friends from the impact of knowing him. And Aunt May had died, again specifically because she was his aunt. But then he heard from the other Spider-men about how their Uncles had similarly died after teaching them the same "with great power" lesson. And that Gwen Stacey had died, and Harry Osborne had died, etc.

The point being that having met the other versions of himself, he actually knows what we the audience know to be one of the defining traits of the Peter Parker character: that things don't really work out for him and the people he loves pay a price. And now understanding this, he decides the best solution if for people to forget who he is entirely. Because that doesn't just save them from the consequences of Mysterio's revelation and the consequences of the universe imploding (or whatever), but also the more fate-like consequences of being Peter Parker's loved ones. Whereas if people had just forgotten Mysterio's revelation or whatever then MJ & Ned would have still been on the same doomed path that the likes of Gwen & Harry were in other iterations.
Maybe, but then he does plan to go and meet MJ after the dust has settled. Perhaps he was planning to never mention Spiderman but he seems to pull back from that when seeing the scar on her head. So I think your plan was an after thought of Peters, to keep his friends safe.

The forgetting Peter thing, maybe it worked across all multiverse as the goblin etc weren't made aware by Mysterio. Shame it affects the Vulture too, liked the idea of him keeping hold of that info for his release/escape.

There is also the theory that Dr Strange remembers as well, as he can remember the night out he mentions that Wong doesn't as he cast the spell.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
One other thing (not explained very well or at all) is how this universe’s J Jonah Jameson looks exactly the same as Tobey’s universe, whilst the Spidermen and supporting cast all look different.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
One other thing (not explained very well or at all) is how this universe’s J Jonah Jameson looks exactly the same as Tobey’s universe, whilst the Spidermen and supporting cast all look different.
Loki actually explains that one!

Skills

Snitch
I think this is my favourite marvel movie after Thor Ragnarok. Holland's a great Spiderman

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Terrible film, such a contrived plot which lacked any logic and used several implausible plot devices to push the story forward.

Shame as I really looked forward to seeing all the old cast back and I did enjoy their individual displays but it was ruined by the overall storyline.

The sudden sad moment kind of lacked any substance due to the stupidity that went before it. Great CGI though.

4/10. Cannot believe the hype this has received. One of the weakest Marvel films I’ve seen in terms of narrative.
Agree on the frankly ridiculous storyline which made the first part of the film quite boring, picked up in the 2nd half once the old characters turned up but that was really the only interesting thing about the whole film

only really went to see this due to the strong reviews and thought it was just average Marvel stuff in the end

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Just watched it today.

It was a decent movie made bigger by nostalgia.

Poor man's Spiderverse. Almost an identical storyline but with Strange instead of Kingpin.

Enjoyable though!

7/10

I mean half of Avengers became outcasts and were hunted for imprisonment and still were classy and heroic. He throws a tantrum over college admissions and goes for connections like a entitled brat. Strange also comes across as a idiot (which I thought he grew out of).

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Just watched it today.

It was a decent movie made bigger by nostalgia.

Poor man's Spiderverse. Almost an identical storyline but with Strange instead of Kingpin.

Enjoyable though!

7/10

I mean half of Avengers became outcasts and were hunted for imprisonment and still were classy and heroic. He throws a tantrum over college admissions and goes for connections like a entitled brat. Strange also comes across as a idiot (which I thought he grew out of).
Yeah exactly, Strange would never perform a spell that he knows is extremely dangerous for reality and the universe over something so petulant and trivial. It is just absurd, ridiculous to believe, as if Marvel couldn't think of a good reason so pushed that reason in the storyline, just so the producers could bring in nostalgic villains and past Spideys.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if Marvel pushed this storyline (which seemed forced), because they knew DC were planning on doing exactly that with The Flash and other projects. Therefore, wanting to get their most popular character on screen with multiple versions before DC did it with their most popular character.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yeah exactly, Strange would never perform a spell that he knows is extremely dangerous for reality and the universe over something so petulant and trivial. It is just absurd, ridiculous to believe, as if Marvel couldn't think of a good reason so pushed that reason in the storyline, just so the producers could bring in nostalgic villains and past Spideys.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if Marvel pushed this storyline (which seemed forced), because they knew DC were planning on doing exactly that with The Flash and other projects. Therefore, wanting to get their most popular character on screen with multiple versions before DC did it with their most popular character.
You really think marvel gives two shits what DC are doing in their "universe"?