Southport knife attack - 3 children dead, 8 children and 2 adults injured

Not really sure where your pedantry is going here so we can leave it.

I'm not being pedantic, I'm just pointing out that a layman's inability to understand why someone would do something horrific doesn't necessarily mean the person that did it was insane.

I'm not being pedantic, I'm just pointing out that a layman's inability to understand why someone would do something horrific doesn't necessarily mean the person that did it was insane.
I think in other situations like this there has often been link to severe mental illness. The incident where a woman with paranoid schizophrenia killed a 7 year old girl in a park in Bolton in 2020 immediately springs to mind.

It's quite a likely outcome, though, isn't it? Definitely prevalent enough for there to be no reason to challenge someone stating it as a possibility. The majority of people that aren't racist will have thought that a psychotic episode was the probable reason for this happening.

Ariana Grande concert immediately springs to mind. Where children were seemingly deliberately targeted.

It's interesting there was a mob of mostly Muslims protesting and throwing eggs outside Rochdale police station last week, the police barely batted an eyelid, they certainly didn't rock up in riot gear and attempt to disperse them.

The same with the harehills riot, but a soon as a white mob gathers and starts protest the riot police come flying in. Claiming them to be far-right thugs some of them undoubtedly are of course. But still I'm sure some harehills rioters or the Muslim protesters would hardly be all good boys or girls.

As an outsider looking in it certainly looks as though certain groups seemingly can get away with more.

Didn't one of the recent 'free palenstine' protest get a bit shirty recently around downing Street and the Churchill statue, I'm pretty sure the police didn't fly in with riot gear on though.

Maybe it's all bollocks but from the outside looking in, it does look like there is a bit of two-tier policing going on.
I mean you've not done a great job in literally spitting verbatim the weak arguments that many right wing accounts on Twitter are spewing. We may as well call it as you're trying to frame it, policing doesn't change based on your skin colour. It's pretty much all bollocks.

Of the scenarios you've mentioned:

Harehills - Police retreated as they felt they were inflaming the situation. Local residents believe they were wrong to do so, others think it was the right approach. They're under review on their response to it.
Rochdale Protest - Police mention that it passed without incident - given it was right outside their place of work I'd be inclined to
Southport - From the pictures I saw of the riot I don't think Merseyside Police had enough police in riot gear. Considering the 'protest' was well publicised 24hrs before. There wasn't going to be a peaceful element and I'd have preferred to see them attendees kettled.

As for Salman Abedi, the motives were never clear but it was down to radicalisation rather than simply going after children

Ariana Grande concert immediately springs to mind. Where children were seemingly deliberately targeted.

It's interesting there was a mob of mostly Muslims protesting and throwing eggs outside Rochdale police station last week, the police barely batted an eyelid, they certainly didn't rock up in riot gear and attempt to disperse them.

The same with the harehills riot, but a soon as a white mob gathers and starts protest the riot police come flying in. Claiming them to be far-right thugs some of them undoubtedly are of course. But still I'm sure some harehills rioters or the Muslim protesters would hardly be all good boys or girls.

As an outsider looking in it certainly looks as though certain groups seemingly can get away with more.

Didn't one of the recent 'free palenstine' protest get a bit shirty recently around downing Street and the Churchill statue, I'm pretty sure the police didn't fly in with riot gear on though.

Maybe it's all bollocks but from the outside looking in, it does look like there is a bit of two-tier policing going on.

That concert isn't the same at all. The oldest person killed there was 51 I believe and any concert is going to hsve a range of ages. This was exclusively children.

It's interesting to read your characterisation again.

The Muslim 'mob'. (at least they're not an immigrant community now I guess).
The Harehill riots.
The Southport....protests. Right then.

Could it be the case that police tend to respond to things differently based on what's happening? That, in terms of threat, they may see eggs a bit differently to bricks? Or that they may see eggs differently to someone punching an armed officer in the face? Or that a flare thrown at the house of the PM may be different to the eggs?

How many police officers were injured at the protest outside Rochdale police station?

I don't think so,unless you can remind me otherwise? They certainly didn't throw flares at his statue and not while trying to represent themselves as being protectors of Britain against the immigrant horde?

I think most people have a motiviation for doing something evil - anger, money, politics, whatever.

I can't imagine what motivation someone like this would have to do something like this - so i assume mental illness.

I've started reading about the motives of the shooter who did the dunblane masscre and other school shooters to understand why someone would do something like this. So far it seems these shooters all target places they feel wronged by. But a dance studio for kids so far away from his home - it just doesn't make sense.

He was a 13 minute drive from his house, it's not far away.

It's quite a likely outcome, though, isn't it? Definitely prevalent enough for there to be no reason to challenge someone stating it as a possibility. The majority of people that aren't racist will have thought that a psychotic episode was the probable reason for this happening.

I don't know how likely it is, and I'm not writing it off as a possibility.

Maybe I'm being harsh with my reading of the comment, but I don't see why someone's first reaction to the court date being announced would be to essentially ask "so he's not being absolved of responsibility then?"

My understanding is that an "insanity" plea would come at the court date, not before it's even been announced. I've also seen no suggestions that anything was/is wrong with him.

Either there's two-tier policing or, you know, throwing eggs doesn't require the same level of response as throwing bricks and lighting vehicles on fire.
I mean in the same sentence, they’ve referred to Harehills as a riot (which it was) and Southport as a protest (which it wasn’t).

I don't know how likely it is, and I'm not writing it off as a possibility.

Maybe I'm being harsh with my reading of the comment, but I don't see why someone's first reaction to the court date being announced would be to essentially ask "so he's not being absolved of responsibility then?"

My understanding is that an "insanity" plea would come at the court date, not before it's even been announced. I've also seen no suggestions that anything was/is wrong with him.
Yeah so you just jumped the gun there. I'm assuming mental health as i can't imagine a possible motive for this sort of thing.

Yeah so you just jumped the gun there. I'm assuming mental health as i can't imagine a possible motive for this sort of thing.

Which brings me back to the original point.

As has been pointed out, there's a reasonable chance a mental issue is a factor, but to reference another case in the news, something has clearly not right mentally for Huw Edwards to seemingly decide af 60 years old that he's going to start looking at indecent images of children.

Is there not a sizable middle ground between a mental issue being a factor and it being so pronounced that they're not even going to take the case to court (which is what you were questioning)?

Is correct. The accused's mental state will/may be determined through the courts.

Can’t imagine how the parents must feel knowing they’ve lost their child, and thick racist cnuts are using that heartbreak and tragedy to cause riots and flame up tensions.

Course it does mate. These lads weren't throwing feckin eggs.

Still intrigued to hear what you mean by this.
It wouldn't have happened without him being there in the first place. I'm not sure my account will survive discussing it any more than that, so I guess it was pointless to post it in the first place, apologies. I just wanted some random person reading this thread to know that they're not crazy for being baffled by the discussion.

It wouldn't have happened without him being there in the first place. I'm not sure my account will survive discussing it any more than that, so I guess it was pointless to post it in the first place, apologies. I just wanted some random person reading this thread to know that they're not crazy for being baffled by the discussion.
What do you think is worth discussing, in terms of the perpetrator?

So you're blaming the non-muslim non-immigrant for these right wings Neanderthals attacking a mosque and the police and generally wrecking the place?

These pricks were just looking for an excuse and couldn't give a shit about the victims or the local community.

What do you think is worth discussing, in terms of the perpetrator?

That we let stupid blacks into the country. Whites would never commit such crimes, and certainly not their descendents.

I'll post it for them so their account gets to 'survive'.

At a time when all we knew about the perpetrator was that he was a young lad who killed three kids, there's only a certain amount of discussion that can be had on that, so people naturally start to talk about the circumstances, response and the aftermath. I don't find that baffling in the slightest.

Thanks for proving my point. Great race obsessed take. I'll stop.

Yet you seem so sure that your point is so explosive that you'll get immediately permanently banned by saying it?

What could it be? Surely it's not about people from Wales coming to England?

Surely it's not about people from Wales coming to England?

On a lighter note, you would not believe the number of people from England I met Cardiff uni that thought you needed a passport to cross the border into Wales.

Apparently the attacker had very severe form of Autism and his family hadn't been able to get him to get out of the house / had not been able to get him to communicate with them for a period of time. No indication as yet as to why he got a taxi out of the house / motive for the attack itself.

That's an insanely stupid take, which is probably why it wasn't front and centre in people's thoughts. In a world where yer man wasn't "there in the first place" all the hospitals that cared for the girls who got stabbed wouldn't be able to run for lack of staff, nor would all the care homes looking after our elderly parents and grandparents etc etc etc

You're just supposed to blow it not jump up and down screaming 'look at my dog whistle, you'd have to ban me if you could hear it'.

Sounds like you don't understand the difference between a peaceful protest and a violent mob, to be honest.

That's an insanely stupid take, which is probably why it wasn't front and centre in people's thoughts. In a world where yer man wasn't "there in the first place" all the hospitals that cared for the girls who got stabbed wouldn't be able to run for lack of staff, nor would all the care homes looking after our elderly parents and grandparents etc etc etc
I'm not sure that's true at all, there's more than one way to deal with demographic challenges. You could maybe even have the exact same number of immigrants but avoid many of these events by being more selective in terms of where they come from. Who is more likely to end up doing someone like this, a person with parents from Rwanda or Jamaica, for example? A lot of what ifs and obviously we'll never know. Thanks for addressing the point, though. I have no patience for people stupidly reducing it to a matter of skin colour.

I'm not sure that's true at all, there's more than one way to deal with demographic challenges. You could maybe even have the exact same number of immigrants but avoid many of these events by being more selective in terms of where they come from. Who is more likely to end up doing someone like this, a person with parents from Rwanda or Jamaica, for example? A lot of what ifs and obviously we'll never know. Thanks for addressing the point, though. I have no patience for people stupidly reducing it to a matter of skin colour.
He was born and raised in the UK, unless you are saying him being a criminal is hereditary/genetic which then does make you a racist.

Any further context to that which isn't in that report? I've no idea how close the location and timing of it was to the vigil.
He was arrested a street or two directly behind the vigil. However, the riots happened a good mile or so away. They weren't connected at all.

The violence, disorder and disrespect on the back of the death of those three girls is on the likes of Tate, Robinson, Farage, Tice and the Right-Wing Press.

While normal people felt sadness and grief these psychopaths saw an opportunity..

Using children's murder for their digusting hate-filled racist agenda.
Horrible people.

They are the worst of this country and should be considered a genuine national threat.

Bearing in mind the Just Stop Oil lot got done for 5 years you'd think these radicalised right-wing zombies on their hate marches will be put away for far longer?!...