Southport knife attack - 3 children dead, 8 children and 2 adults injured

I think the locals should crowdfund legal action against wooton, grimes, larry fox and all the rest of the right wing bullshitters who repeated the lie that this was a muslim immigrant for inciting a riot.

Consequences, real ones, are the only way to stop these lies. The kid was apparently welsh, and given rwanda is 90% christian, is highly unlikely to be any other religion.

Three children dead but the problem is obviously the prevalence of kitchen knives, islamophobia, racism, men, and a damaged mosque. Brilliant.
Yes? Islamophobia and racism are certainly problems. The fact that bigots decided to attack a mosque despite the fact that the killer wasn’t even a Muslim is disgusting. Even if he were a Muslim, it wouldn’t give anybody the right to attack a mosque.

I think the locals should crowdfund legal action against wooton, grimes, larry fox and all the rest of the right wing bullshitters who repeated the lie that this was a muslim immigrant for inciting a riot.

Consequences, real ones, are the only way to stop these lies. The kid was apparently welsh, and given rwanda is 90% christian, is highly unlikely to be any other religion.
The police have come out and said he has no connection to Islam. The fact thar they had to come out and say that is a sad indictment on our society.

The community coming out to help with repairs at the mosque moved me.

This should be about the 3 girls that died but the racist element of our society made it about them.

There is a desperate, urgent need for Britain to prioritise reduction in knife crime. This awful incident has just been the culmination of a couple of weeks of truly shocking crimes involving knives. There needs to be a national, transparent examination and discussion about who is carrying knives/machetes, and why, and then how to stop it through education, and probably more hands on, aggressive policing. The extent of the problem is so huge that I cant see it being policed without some infringements on peoples rights and freedoms - by this I mean stop and search. Even if its short term, there needs to be a huge disincentive to be found with a knife on you, and a massive increase in the chances of knife carriers being detected.

I have just seen some horrific stuff online, and I think it’s the most angry I’ve been in a while.

These fecking selfish no nothing pricks using these kids deaths to further their hate filled agenda. Seeing photos of the kids with comments like “the country let you down”.

Then they have no shame or accountability when it causes a fecking riot. Absolute monsters! Shame on them!

I have just seen some horrific stuff online, and I think it’s the most angry I’ve been in a while.

These fecking selfish no nothing pricks using these kids deaths to further their hate filled agenda. Seeing photos of the kids with comments like “the country let you down”.

Then they have no shame or accountability when it causes a fecking riot. Absolute monsters! Shame on them!
I'm glad I stay out of the gutter that is X. I see enough shite on YouTube

The can't but. You are missing point. Many things are social norms and have many different effects. Suggesting that women set the norms that get them killed is a bit silly and just victim blaming.
Nobody said they set them alone though. They said they were part of setting them as they are part of society. It’s not victim blaming to say that all of society plays a part in societal norms.

These prats will have no problem pivoting to Rwanda, an African country, being the problem.

Delete Twitter. You owe it to yourself to not put yourself through this sort of shit. And all for what reason? To make Elon Musk rich?

If all knives just disappeared tomorrow, people like this would just start picking up a hammer instead to much the same effect. Really don't see what it would solve.

I'd wager it takes longer and is harder to kill someone with a hammer than a knife so if we just did a 1:1 at least people would take longer to kill people thus giving more chance to stop them.

I wish we lived in a world where consequences existed and were lasting. For a supposed ‘cancel culture’ society many of these cockroaches seem to be able to return again and again to spew their hatred.

One thing that I'm finding interesting (especially in recent weeks) is not necessarily the ethnicity of these people. It's the fact that these are all crimes committed by men. Towards women. I'm seeing these actions/protests/riots tonight, and it's men at the forefront, again.

I always find it interesting how people are always very quick to jump on ethnicity, race, origin, location, etc...but we seem to always steer well clear of the fact that these are crimes being committed by men. Somehow it seems to be acceptable that men do this and the question is never asked regarding why.
Almost always men, without fail. And usually young men, too. Yet the questions are always 'but where were they born?' and 'are they Muslim?' - as if the most obvious and common similarity is totally unimportant, irrelevant and merely coincidental.

Only in the same way people of colour contribute to racism. Which sound a lot like victim blaming.

I don’t really see the parallels there.

How does the behaviour of most men lead to murder by the few? If you’re talking about masculinity as a whole, that concept isn’t something solely shaped by men. Genuine question. I’m not violent, nor are most of the people I know.

Almost always men, without fail. And usually young men, too. Yet the questions are always 'but where were they born?' and 'are they Muslim?' - as if the most obvious and common similarity is totally unimportant, irrelevant and merely coincidental.

100% agreed. It's the one factor that lots of these types of events have in common, yet it just seems to be completely ignored. We need to be shining a torch more on that. Why aren't we seeing young women of various faiths, ethnicities, religions and backgrounds taking to the streets and committing these sorts of atrocities? If Islam is the issue, why aren't we seeing younger Muslim women committing these sorts of crimes? I'm not saying that there will not be cases of women of various ages committing murder, but the stats seem to be heavily leaning towards males.

On the flipside, we also should be asking why men are doing this. Why are people doing this? The thought of any person going into an area surrounded by children and deciding to end their lives there and then sickens me. What is there to gain by doing this? Importantly, what can be done to stop this happening again?

100% agreed. It's the one factor that lots of these types of events have in common, yet it just seems to be completely ignored. We need to be shining a torch more on that. Why aren't we seeing young women of various faiths, ethnicities, religions and backgrounds taking to the streets and committing these sorts of atrocities? If Islam is the issue, why aren't we seeing younger Muslim women committing these sorts of crimes? I'm not saying that there will not be cases of women of various ages committing murder, but the stats seem to be heavily leaning towards males.

On the flipside, we also should be asking why men are doing this. Why are people doing this? The thought of any person going into an area surrounded by children and deciding to end their lives there and then sickens me. What is there to gain by doing this? Importantly, what can be done to stop this happening again?

Surely you’re asking rhetorical questions here? We know enough about human biology and societal norms to know exactly why men are more likely to commit violent acts than women. Plus these norms are much more entrenched in conservative religious societies, which explains why Muslim women are probably even less likely to be violent than someone without a religious background.

Reversing a trend which goes back literally thousands of years is going to be infinitely harder than trying to address other, more recently established, factors in what happened.

Here is an interesting study. I'm sure it has some flaws but it's worth a skim.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3969807/

Here is an interesting study. I'm sure it has some flaws but it's worth a skim.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3969807/
the finding from that study:

The vast majority of violent crimes are perpetrated by a small number of persistent violent offenders, almost all males, who have an early onset of violent criminality and display substance use problems, personality disorders, and nonviolent criminality. These findings support the provision of far-reaching interventions among young individuals who have committed one or two violent crimes and are at risk of developing persistent violent criminal behavior.

in the uk, we stick them in hell holes like feltham. (the young offenders institute..not just the area), where they arent rehabed at all, instead treated pretty badly and end up leaving with even more distrust of the state.

the finding from that study:

The vast majority of violent crimes are perpetrated by a small number of persistent violent offenders, almost all males, who have an early onset of violent criminality and display substance use problems, personality disorders, and nonviolent criminality. These findings support the provision of far-reaching interventions among young individuals who have committed one or two violent crimes and are at risk of developing persistent violent criminal behavior.

in the uk, we stick them in hell holes like feltham. (the young offenders institute..not just the area), where they arent rehabed at all, instead treated pretty badly and end up leaving with even more distrust of the state.
Right, so the opportunity appears to be better interventions when these men are younger (instead of sending them to a kiddie version of prison where negative behaviours get entrenched) to set them on a better path and perhaps better oversight of problem cases or longer incarceration for repeat offenders.

Have any of Reform MPs condemned this then ? They were all a bit mouthy last week.

I've been reading in various comments sections an allegation that the riot was started as a result of a young man of a religious background unpopular with the EDL turning up with a knife. Claims there is footage of his arrest, which is victim of a mass conspiracy of silence by the mainstream media, etc.

I'm guessing this is all absolute bollocks, right?

I can’t imagine how much this hurt. Two simultaneous bricks to the back of his head and chest. And then as he’s bleeding, one in the bollocks too

This video should go in some other thread as I feel it is not appropriate to laugh so much considering the theme.

The only thing missing was his wife coming to slap him and send him home.

I've been reading in various comments sections an allegation that the riot was started as a result of a young man of a religious background unpopular with the EDL turning up with a knife. Claims there is footage of his arrest, which is victim of a mass conspiracy of silence by the mainstream media, etc.

I mean, it's not a reason to start a riot either way.
Had heard the rumour but not seen anything to confirm it.

The riot happened. It obviously made the far right look racist and idiotic. As a result they've had to make up (it might be true but they're still making up the reason for starting the riot) a reason for starting the riot

The riot happened. It obviously made the far right look racist and idiotic. As a result they've had to make up (it might be true but they're still making up the reason for starting the riot) a reason for starting the riot
Well that's my supposition too, and obviously even if it were genuinely the case, it's not justification for a riot against the people who supposedly made the arrest.

Also doesn't explain how all the bussed-in EDL rioters had already arrived pre-empting this supposed arrest.

I believe a video of something is doing the rounds and convincing people who are desperate to believe that there is some Islamic sub-plot to this that justifies their anti-muslim anger about the situation. It'd be interesting to know what they've been sharing.

Well that's my supposition too, and obviously even if it were genuinely the case, it's not justification for a riot against the people who supposedly made the arrest.

Also doesn't explain how all the bussed-in EDL rioters had already arrived pre-empting this supposed arrest.

I believe a video of something is doing the rounds and convincing people who are desperate to believe that there is some Islamic sub-plot to this that justifies their anti-muslim anger about the situation. It'd be interesting to know what they've been sharing.

That’s what I’m struggling with. Police do their job and (allegedly) prevent further stabbings. So they riot?

Iv heard the same, not sure if it's true or not though.

This has been brewing for a while though, especially on the back of harehills and the reaction to the Manchester Airport incident and the recent election.

Just needed the right spark to ignite it, and this horrific incident in Southport was the perfect excuse it seems.

Trouble brewing I reckon, could be choppy waters ahead.

This video should go in some other thread as I feel it is not appropriate to laugh so much considering the theme.

The only thing missing was his wife coming to slap him and send him home.
The honour is yours if you’d like it

The arrest they’re referring to - https://www.merseyside.police.uk/ne...uly/man-arrested-after-incident-in-southport/

It's been made very clear that the attacker in this case is a young man born in Cardiff to parents of Rwandan heritage. He is British. He's not Muslim, either.

Fake news published a made-up name intimating that he was in fact a Muslim who had recently arrived in the country. That's all it takes for rabble-rousers to incite a riot nowadays. It's happening in many countries, right-wing nationalists are getting themselves into positions of power by spreading fear of "the others". We even have a few of them as MPs in the British Parliament now.
He's not British to these folk though. No point even arguing he is

39 police officers injured last night along with 3 police dogs.

Some of the injuries ranging from fractures, concussion, lacerations and facial injuries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2gyv882nvo
The irony with these idiots knows no bounds. I bet only last week they were condemning the viscous attack on the officers in the airport and justifying the kick and stamp to the head.

Here they are injuring 39 officers. Bet they wouldn't have been as receptive to a stamp to the heas last night.