Solskjaer's legacy and his future

The season Mourinho took 2nd, we had 5 PL teams on 70+ points. City, United, Spurs, Liverpool & Chelsea. Ole's point total from last season wouldn't have even gotten him top 4, in fact it wouldn't even have gotten him 5th place in the season Mourinho finished 6th, as Arsenal finished that season in 5th on 75 points.
This sounds like any halfway competent manager could have gotten 75+ points managing a decent team that year.

How is points total meaningful? It is totally out of context. By that logic, that second place is better than some title-winning seasons, do you honestly believe that? If yes, I'm out.

Point total tells you a lot about the season. How important it is really depends on who you ask but some determine the success of a manager in win% or points gained/game and it's a valid way to judge I guess.

But I agree, I wouldn't care one bit with how many points we win a league.

Why be so derogatory, there really is no need to be like that.

As demonstrated by the over 20 thousand people that recently turned up for the women's game at Old Trafford, there are plenty of people that care passionately about the women's team.

So Ole helping to bring his daughter to the club, will mean his legacy is safe and secure in the positive column.

What a ridiculous take. We're talking about Ole's legacy as the Man Utd men's team manager. What does his daughter have anything to do with the discussion? He could've gotten his daughter into the club without even being the manager.

Going by your logic, Eric Cantona's dad should have a stand named after him.

Howe is Guardiola for Ole. For many people it is obviously hard to accept it but we had one of the worst managers in PL. And that is reality.

If Howe is Guardiola for Ole then what is Guardiola himself for Ole ?
If he managed to finish 3rd and 2nd in 2 consecutive seasons, with the state we are in, he can't be one of the worst managers in PL history, that's for sure.

If he managed to finish 3rd and 2nd in 2 consecutive seasons, with the state we are in, he can't be one of the worst managers in PL history, that's for sure.

What state is that? Being given plenty of freedom to build his squad and appoint his coaches? Being allowed to spend tons of money?

The state we are in - which includes a problematic squad that needs rebuilding again - IS the result of giving him a job he was never equipped for.

I don't know what his legacy will end up being. As for his future, I think Utd will end up being his biggest club by a leg and a mile. There were some links with him to the Aberdeen job and I couldn't help think that they could do better.

Better be unknown than a proven failure

He couldnt cut it with 400m and the 3 of fifa xi at the end of rhe Day. Not even playing resembling a team thar has 1bn worth of player

Sam allardyce wont win the league but a total defensive hump it football well executed would fare much better than god knows what's our tactics again

If Howe is Guardiola for Ole then what is Guardiola himself for Ole ?

Except most ole defender comparing him to jose who also finished 2nd and still call it worse

You seem hellbent to move the goalposts just because it doesn't suit your agenda.

I said Ole is the most successfulanager since SAF retired and my criteria is as objective as they come: league finishes.

You ignore that. Cool.

You use the word "Successful" yet you ignore trophies? :annoyed:

You've had your head buried in the sand if you're seriously asking this question.
Wrong. Buried in Ole's ballsack it is

I think some of them here are WUMs. Surely even a blind man can see that getting second and winning the EL and the League Cup is better than coming 2nd and 3rd in consecutive seasons. Only an idiot would insist on it.
I really think some of posters here like this georgeinpep guy is truly delusional and deep into Ole cult simply because of Ole standing in the club prior to his managerial appointment and the denial that hits them when the fact shows Ole is just simply a crap manager. You got these crazies talking about Ole tenure like we won treble and playing tiki taka joga bonito stuff

What a lovley place. Still going on and attacking a good manager that did good things but was let down by our players. But sure, he wasn’t hipster enough for some of you young fans. One day you will understand more about what he did and see it through objective glases. Until then I guess this anti-manager club will just produce wierd arguments.

What a lovley place. Still going on and attacking a good manager that did good things but was let down by our players. But sure, he wasn’t hipster enough for some of you young fans. One day you will understand more about what he did and see it through objective glases. Until then I guess this anti-manager club will just produce wierd arguments.

so you think his tenure is good enough to be called a success ? We probably will when any club in the top league would touch him and he wins them trophies. Or those other clubs that wont hire him are subjective too ?

:lol: :lol:

so you think his tenure is good enough to be called a success ? We probably will when any club in the top league would touch him and he wins them trophies. Or those other clubs that wont hire him are subjective too ?
Never have I said that. I said that he did good job until this season and until our players started to perform badly.

The players HE spent 300 million on. How is it so difficult to understand

Never have I said that. I said that he did good job until this season and until our players started to perform badly.

Anyone with any remote knowledge of football knew he was fluking it and relying on players talents. When we'd call it out the ole brigade would attack us. It finally unravelled.

The only people who remember anything positive from the Ole regime are biased because of his status as a player and his "feel good" interviews and press conferences. The worst manager since SAF = Ole.

Anyone with any remote knowledge of football knew he was fluking it and relying on players talents. When we'd call it out the ole brigade would attack us. It finally unravelled.

The only people who remember anything positive from the Ole regime are biased because of his status as a player and his "feel good" interviews and press conferences. The worst manager since SAF = Ole.

So, he left a talented and a good side for the future?

That is why we have been brilliant after he got sacked. We became suddenly a top side with 100% wins.

Just like Jose eh? But less than Jose who also got us into 2nd position in any other season would have won us the League. He also won the EL and the League Cup. And then the players started to perform badly. Just like for Ole?

Just like Jose eh? But less than Jose who also got us into 2nd position in any other season would have won us the League. He also won the EL and the League Cup. And then the players started to perform badly. Just like for Ole?
Mourinho did also a good job before players started to perform badly and he lost it.

We don't always have to find problems in our managers.

Who here thinks that he will be offered a job by any of the top 6 in the Premier league?

Top 6? Would be lucky to get offer from the bottom 6. Watford doesn’t count.

Doesn't that tell something about his quality as a manager? We have to put aside that he's a really nice person and club legend.

I think using finishing second as a metric of progress is bonkers when we already have the benefit of knowing it would lead to feck all. The position is meant to be a consolation of better things to come not some end goal to be celebrated.

It made sense to use as a tool for optimism back then because we thought it was a step to future glory. With ole ending up sacked the entire cycle was for nothing.

Yeah. It means nothing when we did not in fact make any progress. It's just that at the time, it could have meant something.

In each of Ole's first two seasons in charge, we had one or two runs of great results. People talked about all the progress and how we'd turned a corner and whatnot. All of these runs were then immediately followed by an equally long run of disastrous results that whisked away any sense of progress, yet people now look back on those occasional good runs as if it was proof that things were heading in the right direction. It's like rolling dice for an hour and looking back at the results, then concluding that if you could just cherrypick the 6's and repeat those ones, you'd be winning. It's some weird mental gymnastics, and it doesn't match how reality actually works.

At no point did we ever have a genuinely good season under Ole. We had pockets of good results here and there, mixed with equal pockets of utter garbage. We eked out a 3rd and 2nd place finish when the other candidates were having disaster seasons themselves, with points tallies that would normally never get you such a placement, and we won nothing and built nothing for the future. After his departure, we're left with a squad where we'd really want to replace all but half a dozen players, and CL qualification is a very long stretch that'll require miracles in the remaining fixtures. For anyone to look at this and decide that he was succesful because we had two top 4 finishes under him is nothing short of absurd.

Who here thinks that he will be offered a job by any of the top 6 in the Premier league?

I would be genuinely shocked if he got a job at a top ten Championship team, to be completely honest. It would certainly be interesting to see him manage again, but I have no idea when/where he will get a job again.

Solskjaer was an absolute bloody disaster. I think it’s you that needs to look at things through objective glasses.

Can't believe people still think he was a success.

We've had some crap but he was the worst by far. He left the club in an awful state.

:lol:

Given this thread is partly about his future, has he been linked with any club from any credible source?

Given this thread is partly about his future, has he been linked with any club from any credible source?

Betfair has him 20/1 to manage Burnley.

That alone should tell you about Ole's quality. Outside of some of our odd fans like @90 + 5min , no one in the footballing world rates him. It's an insult to compare him to our previous manager. Moyes, LVG and Jose all had plenty of offers lined up after United

:lol: Really hope you baiting, otherwise no comment...

:lol::lol::lol:

You’d have thought he’d of had suitors queuing up for his services when he left here going on by our fanbases sentiment to the guy.

You can sign him, win sod all and he’s still the special one. A boards wet dream.

You’d have thought he’d of had suitors queuing up for his services when he left here going on by our fanbases sentiment to the guy.

You can sign him, win sod all and he’s still the special one. A boards wet dream.
Most opposition fans were singing Ole's at the wheel at us. Imaging signing him :lol:

Last edited:
Can't believe people still think he was a success.

We've had some crap but he was the worst by far. He left the club in an awful state.

Not being the worst does not automatically make you a success.
He wasn't a success, no manager after SAF was a success, but I think Ole was slightly better than LVG and Moyes and bellow Mourinho.

Can’t wait to see which elite club is going to snap up the hipster slayer (woop woop) :p
With the way his fans talk about him in here we could assume top clubs are fighting each other to get him as their manager. The anti hipster no tactics vibes only manager.