Solskjaer's legacy and his future

Left the squad in the worst state out of all managers post SAF imo. The mood was quite shite when Jose left us, but the mood seems just as bad, if not worse now, as well as spending record sums on players who are shite that will now be almost impossible to move on.

Rough situation to be in

Forget about Moyes. Ralf is horrified to find that we didn't even have anything on the French International midfield player. I forgot his name.
So it has not improved at all from the time of Moyes.

Nkunku

Thank god that Murtough had revamped the recruitment department. Can you imagine if that wasn't the case? We wouldn't be able to discover the likes of Varane (Real) or Ronaldo (Juventus)

Nkunku

Thank god that Murtough had revamped the recruitment department. Can you imagine if that wasn't the case? We wouldn't be able to discover the likes of Varane (Real) or Ronaldo (Juventus)
We also unearthed an unknown talent named Sancho that played for a village team called Dortmund. Seriously our recruitment team probably consist of teenage fifa players sorting through player ratings. It doesnt take an ounce of brain cell and scouting to sign those players.

Seems like some in here really know a lot about football recruitment :wenger:

From Ogden to former players like Choccy, nowadays everyone seem to say the same thing about recruitment department. It is shit. You don't need to be a genius to see that. We go for the safe signings (Maguire,Varane,Ronaldo, Sancho etc) on stupid money and even they fail big time.

Your delusional. We were freaking lucky to finish 2nd and above Liverpool. We had literally sod all injuries and Liverpool had an injury crisis. Even had to play a midfielder in defense. In the end only finished 5 points ahead. If Liverpool didn't have the injury crisis they would of finished 2nd.
I must be having sight problems too: https://www.transfermarkt.com/manchester-united/ausfallzeiten/verein/985/plus/1?reldata=GB1&2020

Check the facts before you right bs.

I don't rate any trophies higher. Nether Jose or Ole where successful or great in the league. Similar points totals both got 2nds.

But Jose won two trophies albeit not the best ones.

Also without Jose we'd be like 7 years without a trophy so at this stage any trophy has to be valued more

Also Ole was in two Europa leagues and failed to win the competition twice despite having the best squad in the competition.

So failing to win anything was really quite a big failure.

And again I hate Jose so I say this through gritted teeth. We where correct to sack him just replaced him with a guy who never should have got the job.

The best squad in the europa league, but the worst squad in the history of football just a few months later right?

Lost on penalties to Villareal, who a couple of months later also took european champions Chelsea to penalties and have just knocked Bayern Munich out of the CL, what an abstract failure, oh and Chelsea and bayern have better squads than us, so Tuchel and naglesmann must be rubbish. Oh and we beat Villareal this season already twice once under Ole and the other time all of 3 days after Ole had been dismissed.

The funny thing is all through our poor start to the season the narrative was a good coach would get so much more out of this squad, Ole has been dismissed and a 'good coach' has been put in his place yet performances are probably worse. The evidence suggest Ole was actually quite good and was getting quite alot out of this squad.

Also Liverpools injury crisis. And playing in empty stadiums due to covid which is why we had that unbeaten away streak.

The second part is hilarious when it’s wheeled out. Let’s all pretend that United had this massive advantage to prove our point. Every other team played behind closed doors that season as well. The playing field was even, everyone else had the opportunity to do the same thing and didn’t.

I must be having sight problems too: https://www.transfermarkt.com/manchester-united/ausfallzeiten/verein/985/plus/1?reldata=GB1&2020

Check the facts before you right bs.
Its not bullshit. Did Ole have to resort to playing a midfielder in defense like Klopp had to at Liverpool? Manchester United's injuries were not that significant that Ole had to resort to playing players out of position. Liverpools best defender and probably one of the worlds best in Virgil Van Dijk was injured. Can't recall Bruno Fernandes or any important player being injured at Manchester United.

Its not bullshit. Did Ole have to resort to playing a midfielder in defense like Klopp had to at Liverpool? Manchester United's injuries were not that significant that Ole had to resort to playing players out of position. Liverpools best defender and probably one of the worlds best in Virgil Van Dijk was injured. Can't recall Bruno Fernandes or any important player being injured at Manchester United.

Agreed, but in that case, I don't see this sort of defence in favour of Ole in his 1st full season when we had quite a lot of injuries then. We had Rashford, Martial, McT, Pog, Fred out for considerable period of time in that season, yet people say we finished 4th because Leicester bottled it.

I’m not even surprised what lenght some of you will go just to put down Solskjaer. This is just pure dislike of a manager on personal level.
Now we hear lucky, other had injury crises like we didn’t, individual brilliance like every other teams are just team efforts. You got what you wished for with him being sacked and we still look like amateurs. It isn’t Rangnick fault. I’m behind him 100% as well. It is down to players.

Its not totally Ole's fault by the way. But he is partly to blame because he bought these players and breed this player power culture by being too soft. It was eventually going to come crashing down. Legend of a player but an awful manager. Probably the second worst we have had as he didn't look capable of winning anything.

I’m not even surprised what lenght some of you will go just to put down Solskjaer. This is just pure dislike of a manager on personal level.
Now we hear lucky, other had injury crises like we didn’t, individual brilliance like every other teams are just team efforts. You got what you wished for with him being sacked and we still look like amateurs. It isn’t Rangnick fault. I’m behind him 100% as well. It is down to players.
what is wrong with saying Ole was an awful manager in the end. People aren't abusing the guy by doing that. His thumbs up on the touchline when Fred did an awful shot absolutely showed the guys standards and that he didn't have the bulls to call these players out.

The lengths some will go to, to big Ole up is bizarre.
I don't get it personally. Ole didn't give us fond memories we will remember. He also made some massive errors which contributed to it turning to crap this season. Like for example keep picking players when they continualy play awful, made Maguire captain and didn't take the captaincy off him.

As it stands, the situation we’re in now as a club is not too dissimilar what Cameron did after the Brexit vote ie- disappear and after leaving an almighty mess for everyone else to clear up afterwards.
I’d imagine Ole will be offered another job, maybe at a club like Sheffield Wednesday?

I don't get it personally. Ole didn't give us fond memories we will remember.

He was a failure on pretty much every metric. He gave us some decent moments, but overall, it was fairly obvious that he wasn't going to take us anywhere.

I tried playing along with the happy-clappy-seeing-the-positives-in-Ole brigade on here; but ultimately, it was obvious as the day is long, that he was nowhere near good enough.

I'm fairly confident had we sacked him for Tuchel when he was available, we would be in a much better place with pretty much the same squad. Ole left behind a squad far better than it's showing; ultimately though, he left a mess in terms of mentality etc. The squad needs a massive overhaul, and that's a-lot to do with Ole.

Last edited:
He was a failure on pretty much every metric. He gave us some decent moments, but overall it was fairly obvious that he wasn't going to take us anywhere.

I tried playing along with the happy-clappy-seeing-the-positives-in-Ole brigade on here; but ultimately it was obvious as the day is long, that he was nowhere near good enough.

I'm fairly confident had we sacked him for Tuchel when he was available, we would be in a much better place with pretty much the same squad. Ole left behind a squad far better than it's showing; ultimately though, he left a mess in terms of mentality etc. The squad needs a massive overhaul, and that's a-lot to do with Ole.
Ole's problem was he was too soft I think. And basically the players took advantage. As a manager you can't be nice all the time. You do have to have a ruthless side to you as well.

Remove the early VAR era penalty boom and the results would have reflected the performances a lot more. Both his and Fernandes' reputation got distorted because of it.

what is wrong with saying Ole was an awful manager in the end. People aren't abusing the guy by doing that. His thumbs up on the touchline when Fred did an awful shot absolutely showed the guys standards and that he didn't have the bulls to call these players out.
Nothing wrong if you think that. But do it for fair reasons and not some made up wierd argument about lucky and all that.
That was a wierd take about Fred. Game between ManCity and Liverpool. One City player passed wrong and Guardiola gives him applaud. Does that show standards of Guardiola?
Remove the early VAR era penalty boom and the results would have reflected the performances a lot more. Both his and Fernandes' reputation got distorted because of it.
Remove football and there wouldn’t be anything to talk about here. Remove VAR and we will be talking about Liverpool still not winning league.

Nothing wrong if you think that. But do it for fair reasons and not some made up wierd argument about lucky and all that.
That was a wierd take about Fred. Game between ManCity and Liverpool. One City player passed wrong and Guardiola gives him applaud. Does that show standards of Guardiola?

Remove football and there wouldn’t be anything to talk about here. Remove VAR and we will be talking about Liverpool still not winning league.
You have a weird take. Ole kept picking players no matter how poor they played and gave Maguire the captaincy. Even worse he didn't take it off him. I also stand by the comment Ole was too soft. You giving a Ole a free pass is what is weird.

You have a weird take. Ole kept picking players no matter how poor they played and gave Maguire the captaincy. Even worse he didn't take it off him. I also stand by the comment Ole was too soft. You giving a Ole a free pass is what is weird.
If you followed me you would see that I have never given him free pass. He got wrong in couple of things. His biggest problem was being to kind to some. He should have kicked out pretenders and those who used club to boost their own egos. Problem is that they are money assets to club and it is hard. We saw what happened to Mourinho when he was straight forward.
If you got players that don’t perform or care you can stop using them right away. But when you have lot of them and you decide as some here suggested to play kids you have no right to give criticism when you get destroyed by 10 goals. It is still Premier League. So what I hope is summer clearout.

His goals and assist numbers are exceptional and he has singlehandedly dragged us from being completely useless to being somewhat functional at times. Cost a reasonable amount and isn't on silly wages. I would say he has been a success. How he would do in a team that was more disciplined and placed more value on ball retention is up for debate for sure.
Fair enough on the stats but this season he has contributed to the shitshow. He gives the ball away far too often. Still a good signing though for Ole I would say. Needs to up his game next season though and sharpen up.

Ole for the simple reason he was naive and maybe even got taken advantage of his naivety.
If Ole wanted a team that's going to play on the front foot he should have realized that Jose never plays on the front foot.
So he should have never bought a player especially a defender that Jose wanted. He knew that he was losing Herera yet never strengthen the midfield.

I agree with most of what has been written here. But I really hope Ole isn't reading this!

The history books show the legacy of any sportsman team or manager. It states what they achieved. Oles managerial part of his legacy will show the greatest spending over 3 years with nothing to show for it. He will be remembered for his goal mainly in the 99 treble, not for managerial accomplishments

Van Gaal was probably the only one that improved our players, too bad the football was genuinely boring as feck.

True enough, to say our managerial appointments post SAF have been a shambles would be an understatement!

He knows we're disappointed to the bone.

He also probably knows players did their part in sending him on early vacations.

No doubt Ole is aware of our disappointment, even our anger. But I wonder if he is aware of his own mistakes or whether he believe he is the victim of circumstances beyond his control.

For example, he probably didn't want Ronaldo. But Ronaldo is who he is and the club bought him, and as much as Ronaldo has saved our proverbial bacon on quite a few occasions, his presence has been disruptive. Pogba was here before Ole, but I doubt Pogba was ever the kind of footballer Ole would want. Martial became a forlorn figure before Ole arrived, although Ole did wring a few good months out of him. The Donny fiasco could have been foisted on him by the Glazers, although one has to wonder how Ole could have allowed management to force a player on him that he didn't even rate.

Ole made costly schoolboy mistakes. But he was also the victim of ridiculous management that dreamed of turning United into a Disneylandish merch-peddling, social media empire.

The Donny fiasco could have been foisted on him by the Glazers, although one has to wonder how Ole could have allowed management to force a player on him that he didn't even rate.

Why on earth would the Glazers force VDB of all players on a manager...

Pogba was here before Ole, but I doubt Pogba was ever the kind of footballer Ole would want

Of course Ole wanted Pogba. If he didn't, he'd sell him/or tell Ed that he's no good for what I want to build here.

3 years of Ole defending Pogba and his agent.

Pogba : I'm thinking that it's time for another challenge
Ole : Nah mate, with good players football is easy

Its interesting that one metric is used for one manager and a different for another.

Ole probably encouraged Fred to shoot more, sometimes you have to encourage your players if they make a mistake, because its the instruction you give them.

Its like with City playing out the back, Pep wants them to do that so, he took a few mistakes that led to goals / chances because the players were doing what they were told.

Also, now I see people saying Villareal are a good team and could win CL, but last season losing to them on penalties it was how bad Ole is not being able to beat them.

How can an awful manager get 3rd, 2nd and semi finals and finals? People talk about individual brilliance, where is that individual brilliance now?

How can a awful manager get the best out of 2 players that cant keep the football in Bruno and Rashford?

The history books show the legacy of any sportsman team or manager. It states what they achieved. Oles managerial part of his legacy will show the greatest spending over 3 years with nothing to show for it. He will be remembered for his goal mainly in the 99 treble, not for managerial accomplishments

I don't know, there were some really enjoyable moments and periods under him and some good football played at times.

Everybody wants a trophy but you have to enjoy the journey as well.

All those comebacks, PSG, taking care of Pep a few times. That period after lockdown it looked like he'd cracked it and we were on track.

Unfortunately he stopped making good decisions and made some bad one's.

Personally I can look at parts of his tenure fondly. Whilst taking the lesson of how important it is for a manager to be consistent as well as players

Ole made costly schoolboy mistakes. But he was also the victim of ridiculous management that dreamed of turning United into a Disneylandish merch-peddling, social media empire.
That's probably the case and they indeed used United legend as their tool.

While in club like Real, Bayern or even Atleti they wouldn't even consider him as their manager, here they've found a golden recipe how to make fans happy, while executing their dream plan of Disneyland inside the Super League which was paradise for marketing men, especially with heavy funding from JP Morgan.

Its interesting that one metric is used for one manager and a different for another.

Ole probably encouraged Fred to shoot more, sometimes you have to encourage your players if they make a mistake, because its the instruction you give them.

Its like with City playing out the back, Pep wants them to do that so, he took a few mistakes that led to goals / chances because the players were doing what they were told.

Also, now I see people saying Villareal are a good team and could win CL, but last season losing to them on penalties it was how bad Ole is not being able to beat them.

How can an awful manager get 3rd, 2nd and semi finals and finals? People talk about individual brilliance, where is that individual brilliance now?

How can a awful manager get the best out of 2 players that cant keep the football in Bruno and Rashford?

Your stance(s) on Ole are really fecking weird; you went from fanatical, to being highly critical and now you seem hell bent on defending him again? Wtf.

I also see you described Jose's tenure as a failure in an older post. This is despite 2 cups and a higher points-total second place finish; with a poorer squad than Ole worked with. Yet you want to praise Ole for reaching the final of one of the cups Jose won (while getting beaten very fecking timidly), and finishing second with a worse points total (in a total anomaly of a season). All sounds very hypocritical and agenda driven.

Re Villarreal: yes we should have beaten Villarreal. They're really not all that and them beating a very poor Bayern proves feck all. I fancy Liverpool to easily dispose of them. For me, the Ajax team Jose beat in the EL Final was a comfortably better team.

There is obviously a a huge element of that for many on here, no other way several threads dedicated to Solskjaer would be raging daily 5 months after he got sacked.

There is obviously a a huge element of that for many on here, no other way several threads dedicated to Solskjaer would be raging daily 5 months after he got sacked.

Happens with all our ex managers (post-Fergie) so people really shouldn't be bothered by it.