Solskjaer's legacy and his future

You seem to be giving Ralf an easy ride here mate, I reckon it's possible he's just shit at man management as he can't seem to get a tune out of this squad. 20 games in and we've only very marginally improved results wise. And the bad press and shit going on behind the scenes making the back pages every day on his watch also reflects badly on him.
I don't care to judge Rangnick on his managerial abilities or lack thereof, I am more concerned with players who started the season looking to challenge for the League but find it easy to down tools and ignore their responsibilities to their team mates, their manager, their club and their fans.

Just look at the comical goals conceded at City, for example, and other unforced errors the players keep committing then assess the fact that we are last or near last on almost every metric that measures work rate. All those things reflect badly on their attitudes and professionalism and there isn't much a manager can do when they collectively down tools like that. What's he supposed to do, beg them?

If we are ever going to build a championship winning team we need to cut out the rotten part of the squad no matter how much it costs.

I follow Real Madrid. In 2019 our squad looked like they all needed to be put in a garbage bin, it was dire. Failed under three managers.
Today, at least half of that squad is still around and very solid and competitive. It was just a bad season and it dragged down everyone, not really a reflection of their actual quality. On the other hand, there was probably 1/3 of the squad who were truly finished at that level, and they never recovered. We mostly didn't get rid of them, they just don't get minutes anymore.

Probably similar to United. A good chunk of these players will be better after a hard reset.
The difference between Madrid and United is that a lot of players at Madrid had won the lot, they were of a high level before the inevitable decline and the club, especially the fans, do not accept mediocrity. Contrast that with United where fans were begging for autographs from Ole after Liverpool mauled us at home or on Tuesday night from players who had just stood there for ninety minutes not daring to fight for the last trophy they could win this season. Do you think Real Madrid fans would be out there in the cold begging for autographs from these failures after the timid way they surrendered our CL campaign?

Much as we like to blame the Glazer it is us the fans that enable their incompetence and running down of our club. The way we are easily distracted from key issues by a big signing or two is laughable.

At what cost? breaking transfer record for Macguire and giving him armband were absolutely idiotic decisions.

AWB was hand picked out of 800 RBs by our scouts. How many promising talents were vetoed because they weren't British?

This is the reason you want a football person in charge. They don't hide behind agenda

Aren’t the things you’re talking about the jobs or the negotiating team and scouts? It honestly feels like people think Ole has watched match of the day, and phoned Palace to offer £50 million for AWB (same for Maguire).

I don’t think any of us know what happened with those transfers. It could be that Ole was desperate for Maguire and would only accept him at all costs. It could be that the scouting team didn’t present any other realistic alternatives, or Woodward was desperate to sign an English centre half who’d done well in a tournament regardless of price.

I also don’t remember many people moaning when Harry was made captain.

Man, Ole had the most easy ride among all of our managers post SAF. His friends in the media were jerking off to his "cultural reboot" and "United DNA" shit, and even though we were playing like shit and were literally stealing wins and draws all those "respective" pundits like GNev, Scholes, Hargreaves, Rio, Keane were sure that we just needed that one player in this or that position. Absolutely noone (until the Liverpool game) suggested that he wasn't good enough for a club of our stature.
Now all of a sudden in a months time you have Scholes ripping RR and saying shit like "why United went for a manager with no previous top club experience... " like Ole came from Bayern for fecks sake.

That was true for part of the media, particularly our ex players.

But it definitely wasn't the case across the entire media. Big sections were on his xase right from the start.

How many other managers get called a PE teacher?

In anycase I don't get this blood lust some fans have. Would it make you feel better if Ole was criticised even more?

Not sure why there are still people defending him in here. So because Ragnick is getting bad results, this proves the team is bad and that it wasnt OGS fault? Last I checked, it was his decision to make midtable level players (such as Mctominay, Rashford, AWB, Mcguire) his key players starting players.

That was true for part of the media, particularly our ex players.

But it definitely wasn't the case across the entire media. Big sections were on his xase right from the start.

How many other managers get called a Ole Ole Ole I love you?

In anycase I don't get this blood lust some fans have. Would it make you feel better if Ole was criticised even more?

It's because a lot of our fans including me didn’t want him here from the start. Everyone and his cat could see his ineptitude and his no-style play. But there was this lazy argument about how we had experienced coaches in the past and didn't work out so we have to try with Ole (who didn't have any top club experience, of course a lot of those pundits didn't care).

So Ole came and gone and left a huge mess of a squad which haven't been properly coached for 3 years and never really took away their player-power. Became a meme coach where in irrelevant games the fans were singing his name, but he was still talking about the cultural reboot and shit like that.

Basically the worst period post SAF in the context that it lasted 3 freaking years with nothing to show for

You mean the players he chose to buy? Ole has no excuses about the group of players because they are his chosen group. He had 6? transfer windows and spent hundreds of millions. A lot of our players are mentally weak and average footballers but that doesn't absolve Ole who was also an average manager at best.

Besides Maguire, who has been complete shit since the Euros, which of Oles transfers would you single out as particularly bad this season? People pointed out (lack of) coaching as the obvious culprit, and a lot of people believed that once we got in a tactically astute manager with some coaching ability, we would be challenging for the league

Now we have one, and we dont look much better. I wont presume to know the answer, because i have no idea, but if we just keep pointing the finger at the the coaching staff we wont get anywhere because this group of players are capable of doing much better than we currently are

Funny how it's always everybody's fault and never the players when we probably have the most unprofessional group in the league.

That's because we had a manager who enabled them. They're not unprofessional to the core, they would never have made it otherwise, but we let them become unprofessional through poor management. Ole let standards drop and them think they were bigger and better than they are. They're this generation's Spice Boys; good players with a poor mentality, but if SAF had managed Liverpool in the 90s it would have been them winning everything, not us. All it takes is the right managerial appointment. One or two might be lost causes but a top manager can still turn it around.

Things Ole did well:
  • Pick up the mood after Mou
  • Finished in the top 4 twice
  • Signed Fernandes, Varane
  • Made Fred a half decent player
  • Promoted Greenwood
  • Get rid of Sánchez and Lukaku
Things Ole didn't do well:
  • Signing AWB, Maguire, Ronaldo, VDB
  • Wasting money on Amad and Pellestri
  • Renewing Jones, Mata, Matic and Cavani's contracts
  • Making Maguire captain
  • Not selling Lingard or Pogba
  • Having only basic tactical knowledge
  • Overplaying certain players
Things that weren't Ole's fault:
  • Shawn's loss of form
  • Varane's injuries
  • Rashford's loss of form
  • Greenwood's allegations

To use an analogy, it’s a bit like getting your roof done, whereby we’ve called RR to come in and have a look at what’s causing the leaks and subsequent rot only to discover it’s been badly patched up for years by various cowboy builders.

Ole is a symptom of this mismanagement that allowed the situation to fester, but in all fairness, was only doing what subsequent managers after Sir Alex had done before- splurging out on overpriced average ability players, sanctioned by a board of executives who seemed completely oblivious to the consequences at the time.

I never really understood this worshipping of OGS as a "legend".

He scored THAT goal and was a superb goalscorer for us but the club have had many players of equal or greater contribution.....Mark Hughes, Bryan Robson, Van Nistelrooy, Roy Keane etc

The inconvenient truth is that we, the fanbase, facilitated the club in making the calamitous mistake of giving OGS the job on a permanent basis when all the club had to do was wait until the summer (as previously agreed) and then assess the situation again.

No doubt in my mind that at best we took a sideways step after Mourinho and arguably, took a step back because he did at least win us some silverware (and was hobbled by Ed in the transfer market).

I have no problem with OGS being tactically naive, if he could galvanise the team, a la Kevin Keegan, and then surround himself with top coaches but he chose not to and defended his coaching team right to the death. Ironically, OGS defended his staff to the detriment of the club, something that OGS may in hindsight admit was a grave error.

Another problem we had was everyone buying into the "reboot" philosophy. Straight away, by using that term you are effectively allowing the manager to NOT win anything for 2-3 seasons as long as he can "demonstrate" that the "rebuild" is underway i.e. buy a few new players, sell a few players, maybe introduce someone from the youth set up.

After Mourinho and OGS I am beginning to wonder if the players who played under both are now just damaged goods.

Besides Maguire, who has been complete shit since the Euros, which of Oles transfers would you single out as particularly bad this season? People pointed out (lack of) coaching as the obvious culprit, and a lot of people believed that once we got in a tactically astute manager with some coaching ability, we would be challenging for the league

Now we have one, and we dont look much better. I wont presume to know the answer, because i have no idea, but if we just keep pointing the finger at the the coaching staff we wont get anywhere because this group of players are capable of doing much better than we currently are

We do look better. Maybe not much better but I think being an interim and coming into this club after the disaster Ole left and the dressing room we have are understandable mitigating circumstances.

As to Ole's signings. Maguire and Awb are huge failures for the prices we paid for them. James has been sold and Amad/Pellestri have done almost nothing. Sancho hasn't been worth his price tag either though he might eventually be. Varane is decent but injury prone and Ronaldo has his own issues. Three years of Ole and we still have mcfred in midfield and the likes of Perriera, Lingard, Mata, Jones, Grant at the club.

Your last point I do agree with though. The players have to be held responsible and the likes of Pogba, Rashford, Bruno, de gea are all potential departures in my book. We need a cultural reset and a cull of the playing staff especially those that are losers and toxic.

The other manager was bad but they goy rightly called and sacked. No heartfeelings. And they actually wasnt half bad. In retrospect jose did the best with all things considered.

Ole is just much worse, and the most damning thing is that he never got rightly called out of nepotism, for fraud and for parroting empty promises of DNA, United culture and many other shenanigans which never materialized.

I'm not even talking about trophies but boy ole got everything about united wrong, no ethics, no discipline, no excellence, not even a tactical plan, just throw money at british core and hope it buys him some time and probably good salary.

And so many of his fans lapped it up and stick it up to everyone else who dares to say the emperor has no clothes.

I expect so much more from united legend. He might not have the abilites and out of his depth. But he should care alot more if he really loves united.

We do look better. Maybe not much better but I think being an interim and coming into this club after the disaster Ole left and the dressing room we have are understandable mitigating circumstances.

As to Ole's signings. Maguire and Awb are huge failures for the prices we paid for them. James has been sold and Amad/Pellestri have done almost nothing. Sancho hasn't been worth his price tag either though he might eventually be. Varane is decent but injury prone and Ronaldo has his own issues. Three years of Ole and we still have mcfred in midfield and the likes of Perriera, Lingard, Mata, Jones, Grant at the club.

Your last point I do agree with though. The players have to be held responsible and the likes of Pogba, Rashford, Bruno, de gea are all potential departures in my book. We need a cultural reset and a cull of the playing staff especially those that are losers and toxic.

Disaster? We came 2nd in 20/21 and pretty much everyone agreed we had a very good summer window. Ole 100% deserved to be sacked, but the squad on paper should be doing much better. Both pre and post Ralf. Even if Ole was the worst coach in the history of the league it does not explain the dramatic drop in levels we saw this season.

Just to be clear. Not blaming Ralf at all here, but pointing fingers at Ole months after hes gone while letting the players off the hook yet again is incredibly dangerous

Aren’t the things you’re talking about the jobs or the negotiating team and scouts? It honestly feels like people think Ole has watched match of the day, and phoned Palace to offer £50 million for AWB (same for Maguire).

I don’t think any of us know what happened with those transfers. It could be that Ole was desperate for Maguire and would only accept him at all costs. It could be that the scouting team didn’t present any other realistic alternatives, or Woodward was desperate to sign an English centre half who’d done well in a tournament regardless of price.

I also don’t remember many people moaning when Harry was made captain.
You might well be right, but look at any discussion of Ole in 2019-2021 here. The first (or at least second) thing that almost everyone would bring in his favor was "HIS signings are good", "HE build a great squad for next managers" and the like - hardly anyone was qualifying the statements with mentioning that Ole is not the one solely responsible for transfers. Now when it became had to deny that our transfers/squad building under him weren't that good - suddenly "those weren't his signings" arguments start flowing in :)

Disaster? We came 2nd in 20/21 and pretty much everyone agreed we had a very good summer window. Ole 100% deserved to be sacked, but the squad on paper should be doing much better. Both pre and post Ralf. Even if Ole was the worst coach in the history of the league it does not explain the dramatic drop in levels we saw this season.

Just to be clear. Not blaming Ralf at all here, but pointing fingers at Ole months after hes gone while letting the players off the hook yet again is incredibly dangerous
Disaster of losing 5-0 at home to the dippers. Of losing 4-1 to Watford and looking like trash. And I agree the players share a huge amount of the blame. Ole is in the past now and the best thing for our club is to move on and correct all his mistakes. However it will still grate some fans when others try to absolve Ole of the blame for the situation we are in.

I don't care to judge Rangnick on his managerial abilities or lack thereof, I am more concerned with players who started the season looking to challenge for the League but find it easy to down tools and ignore their responsibilities to their team mates, their manager, their club and their fans.

Just look at the comical goals conceded at City, for example, and other unforced errors the players keep committing then assess the fact that we are last or near last on almost every metric that measures work rate. All those things reflect badly on their attitudes and professionalism and there isn't much a manager can do when they collectively down tools like that. What's he supposed to do, beg them?

Well whenever there was comical defending or piss poor attacking on display under Solskjaer people quite rightly pointed out that that was down to coaching or lack therof. That is still the case, this squad is clearly being mismanaged and performing way below it's potential based on ability.

If we are ever going to build a championship winning team we need to cut out the rotten part of the squad no matter how much it costs.

A fair amount need to leave and be replaced with better but it can't be done over night in one window, you can't get rid of 15-20 players in a year and replace them all. We tried that under LVG and is was an absolute disaster that that had a detrimental affect on the clubs ability in the transfer market for years. What we need in the short term is a top manager who can do something with the majority of these players and this squad.

You might well be right, but look at any discussion of Ole in 2019-2021 here. The first (or at least second) thing that almost everyone would bring in his favor was "HIS signings are good", "HE build a great squad for next managers" and the like - hardly anyone was qualifying the statements with mentioning that Ole is not the one solely responsible for transfers. Now when it became had to deny that our transfers/squad building under him weren't that good - suddenly "those weren't his signings" arguments start flowing in :)
This. His defenders also said that he was building a great base for the next manager. My arse. Now they said those flops are club singning like Ole has no input over the transfers. Mou wanted to buy Maguire for 60m the year before and the club rightly denied him. Next year we bought him for 80m. Whose input do they think influence the transfer ? Fred the Red ? Paddy Crerand ?

Yeah half the eejits in here moaning every day were convinced all we needed to do was sack Solskjaer and get a 'proper' manager in and we'd be flying. That narrative changed quickly didn't it.
That narrative hasn't changed. The club (and Ole) have systematically changed the mentality of the squad to one of absolute no accountability for their performances over the years. The rot runs deep and no manager, not even Klopp or Pep could sort out this weakness until half the players Ole left behind are gone. You don't go from deep rot to winning a CL in such a short space of time.

It's been pretty obvious from an outsider point of view just how weak this squad really is but the club have tried their best to hide things from the fans which is why Rangnick is a breath of fresh air because he does not give a first feck on trying to hide the players feelings. There's no place for them to hide anymore which is the first step on getting us back on the road again. Rangnick will turn out to be the best signing this club has made since RVP if, and I know it's a big if, the club give him free reign on what needs to happen.

Things Ole did well:
  • Promoted Greenwood
  • Making Maguire captain
  • Shawn's loss of form
  • Varane's injuries
Too early to say if we wasted money on amad and pellestri, that’s such a knee jerk

why wouldn’t Jones be renewed at the time? He wasn’t injured and in the England squad. His bad injury would come later. I dislike the narrative that goes around that he shouldn’t have been given a new contract. Can you all see into the future? Off course he should have got another contract at that time, there was no reason to say he shouldn’t

why shouldn’t matic have been given another?

likewise Cavani based on last season absolutely should have got another year

Disaster of losing 5-0 at home to the dippers. Of losing 4-1 to Watford and looking like trash. And I agree the players share a huge amount of the blame. Ole is in the past now and the best thing for our club is to move on and correct all his mistakes. However it will still grate some fans when others try to absolve Ole of the blame for the situation we are in.

As i said, no doubt he deserved to be sacked and no doubt this season was a disaster under him, but it still does not explain why we looked so pathetic at times. The idea that he somehow "ruined" the players by his coaching is nonsense and Tuchel proves that after instantly improving Chelsea when he succeded Lampard

Imo its not coaching and its not tactics. We have a severe cultural problem at our club and it far preceeds Ole. Both under LvG and under Jose we saw player downing tools and "leaking" to the press in the last few months of their tenures. Already you can see quite a few postere here starting to turn on RR, but unless we get rid of the rot within the dressing room and the club it wont matter whos in the dugout because they are completely hamstrung

This. His defenders also said that he was building a great base for the next manager. My arse. Now they said those flops are club singning like Ole has no input over the transfers. Mou wanted to buy Maguire for 60m the year before and the club rightly denied him. Next year we bought him for 80m. Whose input do they think influence the transfer ? Fred the Red ? Paddy Crerand ?
Off course you can point the finger at ole for highlighting the players he wanted but also you need to highlight those who made that deal and signed off on it. They could end should have said 80m is too much and walked away. Ole didn’t control the money any more than other managers don’t. With hindsight it was a bad job all round

Off course you can point the finger at ole for highlighting the players he wanted but also you need to highlight those who made that deal and signed off on it. They could end should have said 80m is too much and walked away. Ole didn’t control the money any more than other managers don’t. With hindsight it was a bad job all round
Agree. All and all it was a total mess from the Club and Ole. However saying he is not Ole signing is just flat out bullshit.

That narrative hasn't changed. The club (and Ole) have systematically changed the mentality of the squad to one of absolute no accountability for their performances over the years. The rot runs deep and no manager, not even Klopp or Pep could sort out this weakness until half the players Ole left behind are gone. You don't go from deep rot to winning a CL in such a short space of time.

It has though, it went from Solskjaer is holding this squad back from challenging to we need to gut this squad and rebuild from scratch very quickly.

I suspect happened because so much faith was placed by so many in the idea that Ralf would come in and turn things around. Well he hasn't but that's as much down to Rangnick being an average manager as it is problems with the squad.

It's been pretty obvious from an outsider point of view just how weak this squad really is but the club have tried their best to hide things from the fans which is why Rangnick is a breath of fresh air because he does not give a first feck on trying to hide the players feelings. There's no place for them to hide anymore which is the first step on getting us back on the road again. Rangnick will turn out to be the best signing this club has made since RVP if, and I know it's a big if, the club give him free reign on what needs to happen.

Jesus if we're putting all our eggs in the Rangnick will turn this club around basket we may be in more trouble that anyone imagined. I would hope we could muster up more of a plan that let's just let a mid-table manager from Germany run the club from top to bottom.

Personally I still don't see him having that much of an influence on the club after this season, the official statement said he will have an advisory role after this season. It's possible that won't be as involved as some seem to think. Some seem to believe he'll be stepping into some sort of DOF role.

There are 2 aspects to a signing - 1. Is the player good enough for the side; 2. Is the player worth the money that is being asked?

Maguire and AWB are good players - and like any player they have their weaknesses. Hell, Maguire was arguably among the top 3 CBs in the league last season, and in the 2nd half of last season, we did feel that AWB is getting better going forward. Most of us were disappointed when HM got injured and would miss EL final. So, let's be clear here that the 2 players did well last season, and while they made mistakes and had certain weaknesses, it wasn't like they were costing us game after game.

The 2nd aspect is around the money paid - and that is more on the board. But before we go ahead and blame the board, I think it's been well established by now that we end up paying a Utd premium of 10-20m on every player ever since that interview Woodward gave in summer 2013. We overpaid 20m for both of these, just like we overpaid by 20m on Pogba and Lukaku as well, just like we overpaid for Lindelof (by 5-10m) and Fred (15-20m) and Amad (by 5-10m) and VDB and the list goes on.

The side that was left behind has its weaknesses, just like every side in the world has. But what's made it worse is the poor form of some of our best players in the last 2 seasons

It’s not a perspective lad because I didn’t say OgS had a hand in picking the manager did I? What happened was you read a critique of OgS & got her up so as you’re hard of reading let’s do this again. . . OgS’s failure led to him being sacked, that in turn led the club to need to search for a manager mid-season, which in turn led to RR. If OgS does even the bare minimum his apologists like yourself would have kept him in the job. ‘Ole didn't have any say in his hiring.’ no sh*t Sherlock.

The fact you’re using the word agenda in the same way that Sadler lad does in a Maguire thread is comical. Get over yourself & our former manager. Calling out his failure isn’t agenda driven, it’s stating the obvious, wind your neck in.

RR is a poor coach & has been underwhelming. OgS was a poor coach & underwhelmed. I’ve defended neither. Bad decisions led to bad decisions.
Jesus touchy haha

Where would Ole actually have been if he didn't have Bruno Fernandes on his debut season???

Ole is actually Man Utd worst manager since Fergie!, What kind of support did he not get?, Time, Money. Fan Backing. Forget sentiment and 99 nostalgia. A manager that relied on player's individual brilliance? , A manager with no pro active in game management. We had some of the worst drubbings under Ole. Some posters on here actually forget that he was so bad in the end that even our docile board gave up!

Maybe for a lot of people that want to present their opinion as fact, or as completely his fault or not; the answer is usually somewhere in the middle.

It’s more than likely that we will never know who signed off on Maguire or AWB, but either way the club is to blame. Ole is not a scout, neither is he an accountant. If he has demanded the Maguire signing and the scouts, negotiating team etc all signed off on it, then they are all as bad as each other. They are supposed to work together to get results, and that clearly failed multiple times.

Too early to say if we wasted money on amad and pellestri, that’s such a knee jerk

why wouldn’t Jones be renewed at the time? He wasn’t injured and in the England squad. His bad injury would come later. I dislike the narrative that goes around that he shouldn’t have been given a new contract. Can you all see into the future? Off course he should have got another contract at that time, there was no reason to say he shouldn’t

why shouldn’t matic have been given another?

likewise Cavani based on last season absolutely should have got another year

With Jones the new contract itself was not a problem, he was still useful squad player, filled homegrown quota and did not earn much. However, there was no justification for offering 4+1 contact. None whatsoever. He had persistent injury issues already, he would not have been poached by rivals. If we offered him 2+1 we would not be having this conversation today.

Last season Matic started 12 games in the league, Mata 6. Combined they are on close to 300k/week. Add to this the likes of Grant (why on earth we need 4th senior gk?), Baily, Jones, Pereira and other fringe players who were extended and whose extremely limited minutes could have been taken by youngsters on 10x less (for all the talk about promoting youth, it mostly remained just talk under Ole) - it adds up and Ole had no right to complain about not been able to sign a CDM given he okayed the extensions. Squad depth is well and good but we just overdid it to an unhealthy extent.

Just kill this thread, we all know Ole was a massive failure as a manager, he damaged the club more than he helped it in his 3 years and left us in probably the worse state we've been since SAF.

No need to keep repeating the same things over and over, I don't think there's any members of the cult any more to defend him.

It's been almost 5 months since he left, let's move on already.

There are 2 aspects to a signing - 1. Is the player good enough for the side; 2. Is the player worth the money that is being asked?

Maguire and AWB are good players - and like any player they have their weaknesses. Hell, Maguire was arguably among the top 3 CBs in the league last season, and in the 2nd half of last season, we did feel that AWB is getting better going forward. Most of us were disappointed when HM got injured and would miss EL final. So, let's be clear here that the 2 players did well last season, and while they made mistakes and had certain weaknesses, it wasn't like they were costing us game after game.

The 2nd aspect is around the money paid - and that is more on the board. But before we go ahead and blame the board, I think it's been well established by now that we end up paying a Utd premium of 10-20m on every player ever since that interview Woodward gave in summer 2013. We overpaid 20m for both of these, just like we overpaid by 20m on Pogba and Lukaku as well, just like we overpaid for Lindelof (by 5-10m) and Fred (15-20m) and Amad (by 5-10m) and VDB and the list goes on.

The side that was left behind has its weaknesses, just like every side in the world has. But what's made it worse is the poor form of some of our best players in the last 2 seasons

Completely agree with this. Yes, Maguire is horrid this season but he looked to be a solid signing for the first two seasons and was great (along with Shaw) in the Euros - before falling to pieces this season. Did Ole make mistakes in playing him before he was fully fit? Yes, but he can’t be blamed for wanting him.

Not walking away from the job the same evening we got mauled 5-0 at home to Liverpool will be his legacy for all the wrong reasons. A dark dark day that was.
Managers should keep on working until the board says otherwise. That is what loyalty and professionalism is all about. It’s the board who decides what’s best for the club. They were probably wrong and should have sacked Ole after 0-5 against Liverpool, but they were confused and paralysed

We’ve had many managers and it’s quite obvious that which manager we have doesn’t make much difference. It’s time to realise it’s more important things to discuss and improve before talking about managers. Manager success depends on several other factors than managerial skills, and that’s obviously the main reason why example Pep or Klopp never was interested to join United and destroy their reputation. That’s exactly what would’ve happened.

We should be aware of spurious context and erroneous conclusions, and that’s why we also should careful about ditching Rangnick, Ole and former managers. It draws our attention away from the main problem.

I follow Real Madrid. In 2019 our squad looked like they all needed to be put in a garbage bin, it was dire. Failed under three managers.
Today, at least half of that squad is still around and very solid and competitive. It was just a bad season and it dragged down everyone, not really a reflection of their actual quality. On the other hand, there was probably 1/3 of the squad who were truly finished at that level, and they never recovered. We mostly didn't get rid of them, they just don't get minutes anymore.

Probably similar to United. A good chunk of these players will be better after a hard reset.

The thing with United is that this team and most of the players haven't looked any good in the last 8 years or so, whereas with Madrid the team was coming from a very succesful period and it seemed most players had already peaked and going into their decline.

Their most succesful manager has been Mourinho but in his last season he collapsed ended up with Ole and had good results here and there but at best they just stagnated for three years (even then he never got a better points tally or won anything) while spending quite a fortune.

I agree that they have quality players that will look better in a different team and need to move on. So it has also been a problem of not knowing when to cut their losses and overpaying for players to the point it makes them very difficult to move them on so it makes them victim of the sunken cost fallacy.

I'm sure there's a doctoral student in sports management out there somewhere who's writing his dissertation on Ole's failures as United manager, but I'll boil down my criticisms to a few points. But before I go there some of the criticism has to be laid on the laid on the players themselves. I'm thinking of Maguire and Wan-Bissaka. These two were highly regarded players at their previous clubs and it's at least my thesis that their horrific performances are almost entirely their fault, not Ole's. Yes, Ole rushed Maguire back from injury but Maguire has to take responsibility for his own actions, which to date I no evidence that he has. With that, the following:

He leaned too heavily into developing an English core...a key (mythical) component of the "United DNA"
He failed to strengthen our midfield
He was tactically too stubborn
He should have pressed to acquire for Sancho last season

Points 1-3 are probably not controversial, but I suspect Point 4 is. Let me explain myself.

Sancho was there for the taking in the summer of 2020 for what I believe was 107m, which went down 87min the summer of 2021 when we bought him. Saving 20m is no small matter from the Glazers' point of view, but last season would have been the perfect time to bed Sancho into the PL so that he'd be in top gear at the beginning of this season. But more than that, having Sancho on the squad last season very likely would have made the difference between crashing out and not crashing out the CL at the group stage last season. Had we gone in for Sancho last season and, in order to cash that was otherwise wasted, we not brought in Van De Beek, we would have had the winger we needed and not wasted cash on who appears to be a player Ole never rated anyway. It also seems likely that had we gone in on Sancho the previous season we would likely not have wasted the 40-50m we appear to have wasted on Diallo and Pellistri, two other RW players who are nowhere close to being first team regulars. Sure, we'll get some of that back when we sell them, but we'll undoubtedly sell them at a steep loss.

Bringing in Sancho last season would not have abated the club's epic meltdown this season, but we may well have put in a much better overall shift last season -- either going deeper into the CL or perhaps, if still crashing out of the CL, actually winning the EL final. And maybe, just maybe, had we gone in for Sancho in the summer of 2020 we would have gone in for a proper CDM last summer, although it seems more likely than not that Ole really believed we didn't need a CDM given the obvious masterful performances of McTominay and Fred.

The root of the problem is the rot at the top, but that rot extends to the kind of ridiculous player management decisions -- overpaying for an average CB but suddenly being pennywise/pound foolish on a world class RW -- that Ole was willing to accept as the price we all had to pay for his glee that he was given a job he and everyone else knew he unqualified to cope with.

Don't think any of this is his fault. It's like hiring a non-qualified plumber as a maintenance manager and then wondering why the maintenance department has gone to shit. Only this being worse as you gave him the whole firm to run.

I agree.

Okay so Ole’s last 15-20 games were not good, just when it should have been clicking and kicking on, the team started to collapse. So many players were out of form and Ole just couldn’t turn them around. Before that he was doing as well as anyone could, I think.

Ole’s last 5-10 games are what gives the vultures their meat. We were mostly terrible over that period, indefensibly bad. He had to go. And now he’s gone, of course he’s an easy target for lazy whingers who can’t be bothered or wilfully refuse to look at the deeper problems which have plagued us since before SAF left and won’t go away by sacking this manager or that.

Next season we should find out if the appointment of RR the “consultant” starts to right the ship. Honestly, though, it is the work of many years to get us back to the top. Personally, I’m not optimistic but it could be good fun either way.
Of course he had to go. No question about that. He was let down by players and it is always easier to change manager. It is little bit harder to change 15 players in the middle of the season. Solskjaer did overall good job despite what all the haters say.

You mean the players he chose to buy? Ole has no excuses about the group of players because they are his chosen group. He had 6? transfer windows and spent hundreds of millions. A lot of our players are mentally weak and average footballers but that doesn't absolve Ole who was also an average manager at best.
Look at positions Solskjaer got us into before calling him average. Look at teams and manager he had behind him. He did that with this group of players that lack character, leadership and few other basic attributes.

It is hard to argue when the other side have completly ignored how our player perform and behave.

Managers should be last if people want to blame this season on something. We know who should be blamed first and most. Lets hope some of them are gone in the summer and replaced by players who can give you 100% every game.

As i said, no doubt he deserved to be sacked and no doubt this season was a disaster under him, but it still does not explain why we looked so pathetic at times. The idea that he somehow "ruined" the players by his coaching is nonsense and Tuchel proves that after instantly improving Chelsea when he succeded Lampard

Imo its not coaching and its not tactics. We have a severe cultural problem at our club and it far preceeds Ole. Both under LvG and under Jose we saw player downing tools and "leaking" to the press in the last few months of their tenures. Already you can see quite a few postere here starting to turn on RR, but unless we get rid of the rot within the dressing room and the club it wont matter whos in the dugout because they are completely hamstrung
Correct.

Just kill this thread, we all know Ole was a massive failure as a manager, he damaged the club more than he helped it in his 3 years and left us in probably the worse state we've been since SAF.

No need to keep repeating the same things over and over, I don't think there's any members of the cult any more to defend him.

It's been almost 5 months since he left, let's move on already.
Ole was massive failure? Tell me how? You mean top 3 i Premier League? You mean countless semifinales? Final? If that is massive failure then what is coming behind us? Solskjaer didn't damaged the club. I know that some people like you love to hate what he has done but that doesn't mean that you are right.

Things Ole did well:
  • Promoted Greenwood
  • Making Maguire captain
  • Shawn's loss of form
  • Varane's injuries

Well that’s BS! He played him into the ground with his back injury, then did the same with ankle and shoulder injuries.

Best thing was sign Bruno and then…played him to the ground, turning him into a pale shadow of the player who joined.