Sir Alex Ferguson has retired

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt they would last night though, was close to 11 when the news starting leaking and it's only 7 now.

It was too odd a time for an official response, but what some journos are saying is the club were refusing to return calls, which apparently is unusual. If it was incorrect they would have answered a few calls of the big journos and said it was all rubbish.

Fukk, it's getting close to midnight here on the west coast of North America and how am I supposed to get sleep knowing the the rumors will be confirmed...or denied...in the next few hours???

Not going to happen at least not this season.

I think SAF has a plan for the team he is currently building and he will see it through, which means at least 1-2 more seasons.

So if he doesn't have more severe health related problems than this hip surgery I doubt he will retire this summer.

The fact that there is no club statement on the matter doesn't mean much, you can't come out with an official statement every time a newspaper prints a story relating to your club, otherwise the club would have to release 10 statements every day.

On the contrary, I think the current state of the team is perfect for the new manager to come along. The squad is young enough for the new manager to build his philosophy, but has enough experience to mount a serious title challenge. When Fergie said that the new manager will have a good squad, I think that's exactly what he meant.

The timing is also perfect. The last home game when the title already sewn up? The psychological effect that the news has on the players would not affect a trophy, but players and fans can pay a fitting tribute to the great man. Also, he always said that when he leaves it would be out of the blue, at least for us fans.

My heart said that he wont leave, but the points above and gut feeling said that he will.

I would just like to add that this rumour appears to have started on RI, a forum known for it's attention seeking wums. This is the post that started all of this yesterday.

Yesterday, 06:48 PM

Something big happening at OT
Due this weekend, rumour is that it might be SAF announcing retirement

That's it, the source itself.

It would be odd if he retired before the season is over. Even the news were to break suddenly, I would think it would happen suddenly a few weeks into the summer rather than with a couple of games remaining. Conversely, if this has all been planned for some time, I would imagine Fergie would want to give the successor a chance at the summer transfers and more time to get set up.

He is going to go into the press conference on Friday like a bull and ban everyone while shouting 'you won't get rid of me that easy you's shower of lieing bastards!' while they're all scurrying out the door

I would just like to add that this rumour appears to have started on RI, a forum known for it's attention seeking wums. This is the post that started all of this yesterday.

That's it, the source itself.

Apologies. What's "RI"?

On the contrary, I think the current state of the team is perfect for the new manager to come along. The squad is young enough for the new manager to build his philosophy, but has enough experience to mount a serious title challenge. When Fergie said that the new manager will have a good squad, I think that's exactly what he meant.

The timing is also perfect. The last home game when the title already sewn up? The psychological effect that the news has on the players would not affect a trophy, but players and fans can pay a fitting tribute to the great man. Also, he always said that when he leaves it would be out of the blue, at least for us fans.

My heart said that he wont leave, but the points above and gut feeling said that he will.

Well you might be right but I hope you are not.

I mean we all know that sooner or later it will happen but I don't like the idea of Fergie leaving not being in charge anymore.

I just hope if he retires he won't leave the club entirely but stay around at least as an advisory.

For example give Ole a shot at the team, he has done well at Molde given the quality of the team and resources and keep Fergie around as an adviser and mentor for Ole for 1-2 more years.

But still I really hope this isn't happening.

Ah yes. I know about red issue. I tried to register a year or two ago as it looks like a pretty decent forum, but they weren't taking on new posters.

Thanks, erentz and widens, too!

:lol:
Consider yourself lucky!! Its where all the scum Manchester United fans gather to vent their apoplectic views on anything related to SAF.

It would be odd if he retired before the season is over. Even the news were to break suddenly, I would think it would happen suddenly a few weeks into the summer rather than with a couple of games remaining. Conversely, if this has all been planned for some time, I would imagine Fergie would want to give the successor a chance at the summer transfers and more time to get set up.

Exactly. Although the counter to that would be that the replacement has already long been lined up and much work has been going on behind the scenes.

Weird as it may sound, I think the hip surgery announcement points towards SAF not having any plans to quit.

One possibility that seems to have gone unmentioned is that the announcement might be that next season will be his last.

I'd say it's perfect timing personally. The league's wrapped up and it's the last home game of the season at the weekend. A proper goodbye.

From what I can gather, there's been something on a couple of private forums saying there's an announcement due about something at the club, not actually referring to Fergie retiring, then that post I put up from RI was the first mention of it being about a retirement, and then twitter and the press picked up on it and that's how it all got going.

That doesn't explain why the club didn't make a quick statement saying it's bollocks, which leads you to believe something is going on. It needs clearing up by the club quick.

feck sake im in work until 12, im going to miss any supposed announcement. Im just hoping it's all bullshit.

Exactly. Although the counter to that would be that the replacement has already long been lined up and much work has been going on behind the scenes.

Weird as it may sound, I think the hip surgery announcement points towards SAF not having any plans to quit.

One possibility that seems to have gone unmentioned is that the announcement might be that next season will be his last.

Not a bad point on the recent announcement of the hip surgery. I also think the recent transfer comments by him would be a bit bizarre if he was playing to leave so shortly.

On the last point though, I think after last time Fergie said he wouldn't announce retirement ahead of a final season again, due to the impact on the team.

Big announcement at 10am?? It can only be one thing.....

Ronaldo is on his way!!!!!! :drool::drool::drool:

From what I can gather, there's been something on a couple of private forums saying there's an announcement due about something at the club, not actually referring to Fergie retiring, then that post I put up from RI was the first mention of it being about a retirement, and then twitter and the press picked up on it and that's how it all got going.

That doesn't explain why the club didn't make a quick statement saying it's bollocks, which leads you to believe something is going on. It needs clearing up by the club quick.

Yup these rumours started yesterday evening there's been plenty of time to dismiss it. The silence is starting to speak for itself in my opinion. A journo was just on sky sports news saying we are usually responding to comments be it on or off the record when something breaks, he said they cant get a word from anybody on this.

Looks like the club wanted the announcement to be made on Sunday at the game, probably why they're stalling and wondering how to do it now. If he is going to retire, you'd think there would be a bit more ceremony to it and not just a statement responding to press speculation.

Just like when people suggested Fergie was benefitting from the IPO........

As far as I know, the rumors I have heard are that the players were informed of a significant announcement that will take place on Sunday. I actually will be out of town that day and in lieu of what could happen, I'm going to have my phone switched off.

:lol:
Consider yourself lucky!! Its where all the scum Manchester United fans gather to vent their apoplectic views on anything related to SAF.

In that case, I'm glad I was never allowed to join such an exclusive club!

I'd say it's perfect timing personally. The league's wrapped up and it's the last home game of the season at the weekend. A proper goodbye.

Agreed, perfect. Lifting the trophy at Old Trafford followed by the victory parade on Monday would be a fitting end to his career.

Although the forecast gives rain for both days, naturally.

Is there any chance the announcement is one of Scholes/Giggs retiring or Rio leaving? Bit more likely, no?

Will not happen. Like the 1000000 players United have been linked with, it's just rumours created by someone who needed to write a story. SAF might retire when he's won the CL again, not this season. Can't believe some people here can believe it's true

Is there any chance the announcement is one of Scholes/Giggs retiring or Rio leaving? Bit more likely, no?

Yup. It just doesn't make sense that just last week Fergie was talking about having an idea of who his summer targets are with one big signing at least and today all of a sudden he's retiring. No way is this happening.

If this was the case, I don't see why the hip surgery news was delivered. This isn't some spur of the moment Fergies just decided on monday thing.

Wasn't the hip surgery news first broken by the media though? The club only confirmed it after the story broke, probably because they had no choice. I don't even think there was a story on the official website. Nothing too telling.

We've even got the BBC dedicating a running commentary to us...

Must be a slow day at the office for them if they have running commentary on what could turn out to be total bull shit:lol:

Must be a slow day at the office for them if they have running commentary on what could turn out to be total bull shit:lol:

It's got to be total BS. Obviously someone has decided to sensationalize SAF's hip surgery and come out with a sudden retirement story, which will sell newspapers for its headlines. Even though there's no evidence to suggest, at least half of football fans out there will believe these rumours, I suppose they haven't been fans long enough to realize 99% of rumours in football are BS.

If BBC came up with a story that SAF was actually an alien in disguise, you can be sure there would be 3 or 4 threads here dedicated to aliens and which planet our new manager would come from.

Problem is though is that it could well be true, we all know Fergie is getting older and he might not want the stress and strain of going through it all again.

I personally think he would rather die than retire, its his life and whenever he usually talks about it, its "i will be incapacitated before i walk away".

Why would he suddenly change his mind? perhaps on doctors orders, but its not like he has to run around and be active.

Anyway hopefully we get something from the club soon to clear it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.