Sir Alex Ferguson has retired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bookies stopped taking bets!

Just because they can't get anyone to bet a certain way so they don't want to lose money. Remember profit is what drives bookies.

Basically though we have reached the time, well really we reached it several years ago, where we all know that any season could be SAF's last. Come the end of every season we give it a thought, is this his last?

You know given we wrapped the title up a few weeks ago and since then have drawn with Arsenal and lost to Chelsea which has brought some fans down in terms of mood, imagine the added emotion of the trophy presentation and the parade if we know SAF is going.

The more I think about it, I think SAF won't be leaving. SAF has been talking very positively about the future recently and he's looked really fresh. We've also signed Zaha for next season. If SAF was considering retiring surely he wouldn't have made a signing as the new manager may not have fancied him.

I've convinced myself it's gunna happen :(

I think the key word for me in the headline is 'considering', The Telegraph have left themselves enough room to retain credibility if it's a nothing story.

There is no way SAF is simply 'Considering' retirement at the moment, he either is or he isn't, there is no way he would quit at such short notice he would give the board time to get their replacement in. The only way he could be simply considering it is if he has had a major row with the Glazers in the last week, maybe promises for the summer had been broken and he's flipped but I find that unlikely.

There is no way SAF is simply 'Considering' retirement at the moment, he either is or he isn't, there is no way he would quit at such short notice he would give the board time to get their replacement in. The only way he could be simply considering it is if he has had a major row with the Glazers in the last week, maybe promises for the summer had been broken and he's flipped but I find that unlikely.

It's not like he would be quitting mid-season. The board will have plenty of time to find a replacement, as they have been preparing for years. This is exactly how I imagine he would retire - at the end of a successful season. He did after all say it was a mistake to announce in advance that he was going to retire in 2003.

There's been no mention of any press conference. The Times reported the club were preparing a statement, but nothing on when to expect it.

It's not like he would be quitting mid-season. The board will have plenty of time to find a replacement, as they have been preparing for years. This is exactly how I imagine he would retire - at the end of a successful season. He did after all say it was a mistake to announce in advance that he was going to retire in 2003.

I would think he would give the board a bit of a heads up, what if our plans had been for Guardiola?(not my choice) but such late notice would feck up any such plans. I don't think he will retire this summer but if he does plan too then I would think members of the board would have been told quite some time ago.

The BBC's gossip column has nicely rounded up most of today's newspaper headlines:

Sir Alex Ferguson is considering retiring as Manchester United manager before the end of the week, reports the Daily Telegraph's Mark Ogden.

As rumours of the 71-year-old's imminent retirement swept Manchester, senior figures at the club failed to respond to repeated attempts to confirm or deny the story, which emerged following United's player versus coaches golf day near Altrincham on Tuesday afternoon.
Sir Alex Ferguson

With United now forced to adhere to the strict regulations of the New York Stock Exchange in terms of the release of significant information relating to the running of the club following last August's partial flotation, any change of management would fall within those requirements.

As of Tuesday night, no statement over Ferguson's future had been issued by United.

Ferguson had appeared to brush aside the prospect of standing down this summer when he insisted in his programme notes prior to Sunday's Old Trafford defeat against Chelsea that "I certainly don't have any plans at the moment to walk away from what I believe will be something special".

Is Fergie set to call it quits? - Daily Express

Ferguson's future was the subject of intense speculation on Tuesday night as rumours circled Manchester that he is set to announce his retirement.

United players were apparently told at a golf day that the club are preparing a major announcement at the final home match of the season, against Swansea on Sunday, when they will receive the Premier League trophy.

'Ferguson to quit' rumour rocks United - Daily Mail

United failed on Tuesday night to quell suggestions inside and outside the club that manager Ferguson is about to announce his retirement.

The speculation is also believed to have been aired among the United first-team squad. The club refused to comment on Tuesday night and, although that is not unusual, the club were not even returning calls on the matter.

Fergie to retire? Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson's future under intense speculation - Daily Mirror

Ferguson's future as United boss was under intense speculation on Tuesday amid claims of a major announcement at Old Trafford on Sunday.

United's players, who were involved in a golf match with Ferguson's coaching staff on Tuesday, were told to expect an announcement on Ferguson's future while MUTV, the club's in-house TV station, was also primed to broadcast a major development on Sunday.

United stunner: Fergie future in doubt - Manchester Evening News

Ferguson is reportedly considering his future as Reds boss as rumours of an imminent retirement announcement swirled on Tuesday night.

Since last August's partial flotation on the New York Stock Exchange, United would be expected to disclose significant information such as a change of manager. And the Reds will likely make a statement soon to avoid uncertainty that could affect investor confidence.

Doubts grow over Alex Ferguson's future at Manchester United - the Independent

Ferguson's future was shrouded in doubt on Tuesday night amid suggestions that the United manager is seriously considering drawing his 26-year reign as manager to a close.

At the end of a day of intense rumours of the 71-year-old's imminent retirement, which included pronounced betting patterns which saw bookmakers slash their odds on Everton manager David Moyes replacing the Scot at Old Trafford, there had been neither confirmation nor denial that Ferguson is ready to deliver a shock announcement

Sir Alex Ferguson 'considers his future at Manchester United' - Metro

Ferguson's United future was shrouded in mystery as rumours gathered pace that the 71-year-old is about to call time on his 26-year reign.

United held a player versus coaches golf day at Dunham Massey on Tuesday afternoon and the manager's future was the hot topic of conversation.

This is not happening, just the usual shit stirring from the media.

Hopefully a statement from the club will squash any rumour of Fergie retiring.

Mind, I have a strange feeling about this. :(

If it were untrue, they would squash it immediately as it would have a destablizing effect on players, fans, transfers etc.

Hope it's not true, but it's going to be happen within two seasons i reckon. He deserves another European cup mind.

If it were untrue, they would squash it immediately as it would have a destablizing effect on players, fans, transfers etc.

Not to mention investors. The fact that nobody at the club was answering calls from journalists last night suggests that there could be something to this.

The transfer window hasn't even opened, how exactly will it affect transfers?

The transfer window hasn't even opened, how exactly will it affect transfers?

Why would the transfer window need to be open for players to decide whether they want to move to a United with or without Fergie ? :wenger:

Not going to happen at least not this season.

I think SAF has a plan for the team he is currently building and he will see it through, which means at least 1-2 more seasons.

So if he doesn't have more severe health related problems than this hip surgery I doubt he will retire this summer.

The fact that there is no club statement on the matter doesn't mean much, you can't come out with an official statement every time a newspaper prints a story relating to your club, otherwise the club would have to release 10 statements every day.

I dreamt about this shit last night.
My guess is that with most of the league wrapped up apart from forth position they need a story to jazz the thing up for the last two weeks

Is a press conference definitely scheduled for 10 a.m ?

well, bbc breakfast are now trailing it through their news. Ferguson has arrived at Carrington and a statement is expected over the next few hours. This is looking more and more ominous...

bloody hell, Ferguson has been such a huge part of my life, if he does go, it will feel like a bereavement to be honest...

Not going to happen at least not this season.

I think SAF has a plan for the team he is currently building and he will see it through, which means at least 1-2 more seasons.

So if he doesn't have more severe health related problems than this hip surgery I doubt he will retire this summer.

The fact that there is no club statement on the matter doesn't mean much, you can't come out with an official statement every time a newspaper prints a story relating to your club, otherwise the club would have to release 10 statements every day.

Just as someone else mentioned, we live in an instant news culture. Whether the rumors are true or not, there is no real rush to quell these rumors. Unless the situation calls for it, we don't make statements unnecessarily. The statement will come in due time.

And just as I write this. Word is Sir Alex Ferguson just rode into Carrington complex just as he always does.

Status
Not open for further replies.