Sir Alex Ferguson has retired

Status
Not open for further replies.
HayleyMcQueen
I've spoken to a couple of Man United people who know nothing of an imminent retirement but it wouldn't surprise me.

She would know.

I actually think if this is true it would be the perfect time. Our two remaining games are against mid tables sides and the title is wrapped up. Would finish up at home and let Phelan take control away to WBA.

Thinking now about the stand and the statue maybe it has been obvious all along.

I think it's about to happen.

It's all your fault. You made a thread about him dying. He obviously saw it and is now re-evaluating his life. So now we've lost the greatest manager of any team, in any sport, in the history of the universe and in his place we'll get a ginger Moe Szyslak.

I knew there was a reason everyone hated you, Randall.

Just woken up. What! No, feck off. Fergie cant retire, he's a bit like the Pope in that respect....oh wait.

HayleyMcQueen
I've spoken to a couple of Man United people who know nothing of an imminent retirement but it wouldn't surprise me.

She would know.

That's not here or there.

Or he's had a Steve Coppell type moment, unbeknownst to us Fergie hast suddenly lost the energy or and enthusiasm and wants to make a clean break with the trophy back in the cabinet.

:confused:

He's 71, it would be completely understandable if this was the case. I always expected it to be a shock when he retired as he didn't want a season to get drawn out. There were strong rumours he wanted to retire end of last season but changed his mind as he didn't want to quit with City winning the league as they did. At least we have won this time around. History won't care too much about a 1-0 home defeat to Chelsea.

Can't see their being any truth in this whatsoever. Not with the way he's been talking lately.

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 1m
Hearing there could be a Utd statement as early as 10am tomorrow. Club officials on standby

Dan Roan says that there could be an announcement as early as 10am and club officials are on standby. But that's just the same 2:30 NY time rumors from earlier.

I guess many thought he'd want to make one more big push at the CL before retirement.

I don't think we can rule out a tightening the purse strings in the near future if this is true.

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 1m
Hearing there could be a Utd statement as early as 10am tomorrow. Club officials on standby

Shit, this is all happening too fast.

Wait didn't SAF say he wanted Scholes to play on Sunday? Maybe another send off for Scholesy?

I would say that's a "significant announcement"

This is much more likely than SAF retiring. He wouldnt say a week ago that he wouldnt leave and then announce retirement a week later.

Maaaybe it could be something like a new assistant / future manager to take on some kind of prodige role in the next few years so the transition from SAF to smoeone new isnt too rough.

Can't see their being any truth in this whatsoever. Not with the way he's been talking lately.

I dunno, I felt the way he was talking after the Villa game that he was preparing us for his exit. He seemed to have something to say about each player, talked about his time here and the Jones praise was something strange.

Oliver Holt ‏@OllieHolt22 4m
Bit of information re:Moyes. He spent several hours in meetings today poring over Everton transfer targets for next season.

Mirror Chief correspondent.

it could be something like a new assistant / future manager to take on some kind of prodige role in the next few years so the transition from SAF to smoeone new isnt too rough.

Personally I'd prefer for him to go now rather than know for a year that his time is coming to an end :(

I dunno, I felt the way he was talking after the Villa game that he was preparing us for his exit. He seemed to have something to say about each player, talked about his time here and the Jones praise was something strange.

:lol:

This thread needs to take a chill pill.

The angry and hurt look on his face, whilst pointing at the ref after the Madrid game was something that didn't sit well with me either

Perhaps there's something we don't, health wise.

These rumours seem to be more than the usual Twitter rumours. There are too many journalists taking it seriously.

thinking back the past 10 years or so, have we had an intense sudden rumour that SAF was about to go? I cant think of one.

These rumours seem to be more than the usual Twitter rumours. There are too many journalists taking it seriously.

These journos get loads and loads wrong.

This sort of shit is a paradise for the attention seekers on Twitter.

I really can't see it and expect the Moyes rumours to be miles wide of the mark. Unless he's coming in with Fergie stepping upstairs. Whilst that's a decent idea in theory I don't think it would work. It'd massively undermine the manager.

He's 71, it would be completely understandable if this was the case. I always expected it to be a shock when he retired as he didn't want a season to get drawn out. There were strong rumours he wanted to retire end of last season but changed his mind as he didn't want to quit with City winning the league as they did. At least we have won this time around. History won't care too much about a 1-0 home defeat to Chelsea.

He can be further pleased by De Gea's improvement, and despite the red card Rafael also.

If now is the time there are enough promising players [recent signiings like Hagawa and Zaha too] at the right stage of their careers for a successor to have as their foundation for the future.

If SAF still had the capacity to continue he's the sort of character you'd expect to do so, it really could be that the time has simply chosen itself.

The WBA game will be Fergie's 1500th in charge of United...

Maybe they don't want to be the one's that missed out in case it is true?

These journos get loads and loads wrong.

They have also got loads and loads right too. But we always focus on what they get wrong...

I mean this could all be bullshit but so many journos are taking it seriously has made me think.

thinking back the past 10 years or so, have we had an intense sudden rumour that SAF was about to go? I cant think of one.

I was thinking about that but it wouldn't have been possible for this to happen a couple of years ago. With twitter it's very easy for a rumour to gather speed. This could just be another example of that. 10 years ago it would have been impossible for it to move this quickly.

Maybe they don't want to be the one's that missed out in case it is true?

This. The Guardian came out with their story half hour after The Telegraph one and it was pretty much identical in terms of words.

I can't see why there would this level of rumours with no truth.

Because a flurry of punts intended to drum up interest in a particular bet led to an unsubstantiated twitter-meltdown which caused journalists to clamour over each other in order to take the spotlight for a brief few seconds?

We live in the twitter-age. Whether it's true or not, it's just the way the world works right now. News is what you can make go viral.

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 1m

What does 'on standby' mean?

Are they just standing there waiting for something to happen? It's a bit like the club officials being 'on alert' when a potential transfer target hands in a transfer request.

Status
Not open for further replies.