• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryP

You think the club is fake negotiating?
Yeah it happens.

I can see why United have chosen not to confirm they won't be renewing De Gea's contract. It would've created a story in the media and potential distraction. The easiest thing to do was probably to say we want him to stay but only offer him a contract that's so poor he won't sign it (and then claim negotiations are ongoing)

The alternative would be to say nothing and leave a vacuum for speculation or confirm he won't be getting offered a new deal (would be a show of no confidence in your current #1 GK at a vital time in the season)

SAFMUTD

I know he won't throw him under the bus but I expected a more neutral answer. It seems he really wants him to stay.

Stupidest mistakes aside we all can see De Gea is not a modern keeper and not only he's not a modern keeper, he's useless with his feet can't play simple passes to play from the back. He's a pussy won't physically challenge opposition and won't go out for crosses.

Basically he's a rooted to his line keeper he'll try to stop anything that goes towards the goal and that's it.

There's no player I want gone the most, not even Maguire.

Huddsred

He's a total liability and everybody knows it. Replacing him in the summer needs to be our number one priority.

HarryP

Hopefully this is the case.
I think it is because I've listened to a lot of Ten Hag on various footballing topics and I think he's one of the least likely managers in the league to think it's acceptable to build a modern team with a GK like DDG as your #1.

I genuinely think worst case scenario is Henderson will be #1 next season, and that wouldn't be a disaster. I think DDG has little to no chance of being #1.

HarryP

I know he won't throw him under the bus but I expected a more neutral answer. It seems he really wants him to stay.

Stupidest mistakes aside we all can see De Gea is not a modern keeper and not only he's not a modern keeper, he's useless with his feet can't play simple passes to play from the back. He's a pussy won't physically challenge opposition and won't go out for crosses.

Basically he's a rooted to his line keeper he'll try to stop anything that goes towards the goal and that's it.

There's no player I want gone the most, not even Maguire.
I get what you're saying but people would read into a more neutral answer - it would fuel media speculation. Easier to kill the story by lying and deal with it at the end of the season.

Chairman Steve

I think we have offered him a new deal but it’s a deal that you’d be insane to take it up (huge paycut namely) and you’d probably look elsewhere.

In the normal working world, you could be offered a paycut and still be told that they want you badly. You know it’s total shit though and you’re looking elsewhere immediately.

Todd

He's a total liability and everybody knows it. Replacing him in the summer needs to be our number one priority.
A potent attack can overcome a shoddy goalkeeper.

A world class goalkeeper cannot overcome an attack that cannot score goals.

If transfer money is limited, the foremost concern is a striker that can score goals.

Judas

Open to offers
I just don't see how our football truly progresses to the level I thought Ten Hag wanted with him still as our number one.

He's a liability and the change is long overdue.

The Purley King

Just buy Steele from Brighton who took the piss out of our “press” the other day.
Anyone, literally anyone please.
De gea will feck up our top4 chances just like he did almost single handedly a few seasons ago.
In this game:
Passed it twice to an attacker from within his own 6 yard box.
Let in a shot my 7 year old son would have got a stronger hand to.
Entirely ineffective at coming out and making a catch from a cross or corner unless there is nobody within 10 yards of him

what does he have to do before people realise the emperor has no clothes?

croadyman

Thanks for last 12 years service but we need a keeper who can use his feet and that's not you

Lee565

How many times is this now that de gea could be a big factor in failing to get top 4, he has form of being an absolute bottle job

RopersReturn

A lot of posters here seem to be in denial and think this is some kind of 3D chess move.

Unfortunately, ETH rates DDG and wants him to stay. It's that simple.
He doesn’t have a choice, signing a new keeper is highly unlikely due to our priority in buying a functional striker.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He doesn’t have a choice, signing a new keeper is highly unlikely due to our priority in buying a functional striker.
Play Henderson for a season as a stop-gap then. By no means resign de Gea - that would set up back several years.

RopersReturn

It’s a moot point with a lot supporters and there’s still plenty of sentimentality by the bucket load on here for DDG.

Chairman Steve

It seems like a line that he rehearsed and doesn’t really believe it. He isn’t going to say ‘we’re going to replace him in the summer’ otherwise DDG is just going to throw in the towel and it’s unprofessional anyway. No matter how much of a feckup someone may be, you never hang them out to dry to that degree because you will look like a bad employer. I‘m certain the discussions behind the scenes are a lot different.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s talking with other clubs, because we offered him a deal that halved his pay and gave less favourable terms and no sane person takes a paycut willingly and happily. We’re basically dangling a carrot for him to keep performing so that in his mind, we give better terms even though our minds are made up already. It’s like being put on a PIP in work. It’s just enough to keep you working but the reality is they’re just stringing you along for their own records to avoid unfair dismissal and you should just look for a new role.

Huddsred

A potent attack can overcome a shoddy goalkeeper.

A world class goalkeeper cannot overcome an attack that cannot score goals.

If transfer money is limited, the foremost concern is a striker that can score goals.
Successful teams are built from the back. All the best teams have top class goalkeepers and that's no coincidence. (See Schmeichel and Van der Sar). Having confidence in a 'keeper is so important because it allows the rest of the team to play with confidence because they're not constantly having to watch behind their backs in case their goalie makes a howler.

redzombie

he's so week in the air he just gets targeted by opposition, i dont understand why someone hasnt told him that one time, just once, come off your line and absolutely clatter someone and maybe this might a least put a little doubt into they're minds.

bucky

Have to say, even if the intention is to make him #2 next year, the lack of ruthlessness is annoying. He has cost us way too much over the years, no matter what he did in his first few years. Being the United keeper obviously comes with more pressure than at other clubs, but when he isn't even serviceable and actively costing us year after year, you need to send a message. Especially if he's been here for a long time, that shouldn't mean he gets more leeway than others. If ten Hag means it, about setting higher standards, then he shouldn't be here next season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That was fecking terrible. 350K. I wonder what he's been offered that he's allegedly rejected. But we need a new keeper for next season.

daba

As they’ve just said on MOTD I hope that is just a case of ETH saying what he has to to not create a big story / distraction, similar to his comments about Ronaldo.

I honestly lose hope in the hierarchy if after the past few weeks we have not woken up to this being our no.2 priority this summer after a ST.

Chairman Steve

Don’t forget ETH has kept saying positive things about Maguire throughout the season yet he barely plays him.

And Maguire is a much more difficult task to handle than DDG, due to difference in price, captain status and being English (who in the media’s eyes are complete saints)

daba

Have to say, even if the intention is to make him #2 next year, the lack of ruthlessness is annoying. He has cost us way too much over the years, no matter what he did in his first few years. Being the United keeper obviously comes with more pressure than at other clubs, but when he isn't even serviceable and actively costing us year after year, you need to send a message. Especially if he's been here for a long time, that shouldn't mean he gets more leeway than others. If ten Hag means it, about setting higher standards, then he shouldn't be here next season.
Agree. Extending De Gea would show that we haven’t fully moved on from the nonsense of offering out undeserved extensions. We need to be more ruthless to show players that nobody is safe, just like Sir Alex did.

The only way I’d be happy with De Gea staying is as a confirmed back up, being paid a top level back up wage (£50-75k max) - even at that I’d be reluctant.

RopersReturn

My main concern is if we extend DeGeas contract, offering him a whopping great salary, it’s a reward for mediocrity at best. It certainly isn’t based on merit. Same goes for Martial and Maguire.

RedDevilQuebecois

As they’ve just said on MOTD I hope that is just a case of ETH saying what he has to to not create a big story / distraction, similar to his comments about Ronaldo.
Seriously? Fergie dropped Ruud out from the squad in a Carling Cup final. That spoke volumes and we didn't give a damn about Ruud's feelings at the time, no matter how extremely controversial the situation would be.

I honestly lose hope in the hierarchy if after the past few weeks we have not woken up to this being our no.2 priority this summer after a ST.
Our hierarchy must have had the worst lobotomy of all in football.

Sylar

Im not going to judge Eth on his comments as managers lie, a lot. Even some of the ones who are blunt, will do it.

Renewing ddg the way we did last time was a mistake , and repeating it in 2023 would be quite something for this club

Sylar

Seriously? Fergie dropped Ruud out from the squad in a Carling Cup final. That spoke volumes and we didn't give a damn about Ruud's feelings at the time, no matter how extremely controversial the situation would be.
Tbf, Ferguson had Saha, Ronaldo, Rooney to pick from so dropping ruud wasn't a problem.

We haven't seen a single sign of what butland is like. We had many wanting Dubravka to take over from ddg and we saw how dodgy that was in the caraboa cup.

Whilst I said Eth should have replaced/dropped ddg ala pep did to hart before the season began, I'm also hoping the words are to motivate ddg if he's still going to be picked...

RopersReturn

Our hierarchy must have had the worst lobotomy of all in football.
Our hierarchy lost control of their senses years ago.

Huddsred

We have a few areas that should be given priority before De Gea!
You build from the back. The goalkeeper is the single most important player on the pitch and if he's not up to scratch then the whole team suffers. In order to become a top class team it's imperative to have a top class goalkeeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.