Should we renew De Gea's contract?

Renew?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r1z3mu

I admit to voting "yes". Please forgive me :o. Can I change vote?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
This is a wrong question. The real question should be - who will we sign if we sack him?

Sack De Gea, we need better - sure, but then what?

We desperately need a CF, we need a CB, we need at least 2 midfield players, before we can afford to improve a goalkeeper. Where is all that money coming from, with Fair Play and garbage recruitment department? Where are we getting 60-70 million for a top goalkeeper so we don't go from De Gea to even worse?

Sparky Rhiwabon

It isn't just the shot stopping or if he can play out from the back. The big thing for me is his coming for crosses. Just not good enough.
Yeah it’s a combination of things really. He’s just not cut out for the modern game and he’s not going to get any better, we need to move on.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This is a wrong question. The real question should be - who will we sign if we sack him?

We need forward, we need, CB, we need at least 2 midfield players, before we can afford to improve a goalkeeper. Where is all that money coming from, with Fair Play and garbage recruitment department?
De Gea is a free agent in the summer. If you can’t find a better goalkeeper with the same resources, then our entire footballing department should resign en masse.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Anyone who thinks we'll be shelling out the 40-50m needed for a new Number 1, in a summer where we urgently need a big striker hasn't been paying attention the last few years.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
De Gea is a free agent in the summer. If you can’t find a better goalkeeper with the same resources, then our entire footballing department should resign en masse.
There is no doubt that our footballing department is utter garbage. But even if they were any good - it would cost 60-70 millions for a top goalkeeper and 30-40 for an unknown gem we would gamble on. Not sure we have that money after all other priorities

AndySmith1990

The club will beg him to stay and we'll still be moaning about him next season. Know why? Because this club talks the talk but when it comes down to it we're not ambitious enough to be the best. For that you need to move players on and keep improving. We have countless shit players who are still here years after their best before date expired. He's one of them

Pickle85

Anyone who thinks we'll be shelling out the 40-50m needed for a new Number 1, in a summer where we urgently need a big striker hasn't been paying attention the last few years.
Exactly this. Yes, we can absolutely improve on ddg, much as I love him. But we have bigger issues and not enough money to address all of them.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

We desperately need a CF, we need a CB, we need at least 2 midfield players, before we can afford to improve a goalkeeper. Where is all that money coming from, with Fair Play and garbage recruitment department? Where are we getting 60-70 million for a top goalkeeper so we don't go from De Gea to even worse?
We don’t need to sack him. His contract is expired this summer. We need to fix our performance first before thinking about signing CF. a world class CF without teams that can play from the back under manager that wants to play from the back means only relying on individual brilliance. Hence why keeper is more priority than CF imo if the aim is to play good football not relying on individual brilliance.

Pickle85

The club will beg him to stay and we'll still be moaning about him next season. Know why? Because this club talks the talk but when it comes down to it we're not ambitious enough to be the best. For that you need to move players on and keep improving. We have countless shit players who are still here years after their best before date expired. He's one of them
This doing a massive disservice to a heart servant of the club.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Good. I had it in my head that it had another year.
We could trigger his extension clause if we're particularly keen to pay him £375k a week for another year.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
There is no doubt that our footballing department is utter garbage. But even if they were any good - it would cost 60-70 millions for a top goalkeeper and 30-40 for an unknown gem we would gamble on. Not sure we have that money after all other priorities
Mate, De Gea will be struggling to find work in a top 5 league should we let him go. He will be taking a pay cut of 75% to have any hope. He is dire. You can upgrade on De Gea easily within the envelope of his wage packet and signing on fee.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Exactly this. Yes, we can absolutely improve on ddg, much as I love him. But we have bigger issues and not enough money to address all of them.
I mean not that many bigger issues. A striker certainly and a centre-midfielder too. After that the argument for goalkeeper being next in line for an upgrade is as strong or stronger than any other position.

Unless people seriously expect us to only make two signings this summer, the argument that we can't replace De Gea doesn't hold. It's just about choosing to upgrade GK over another position.

AndySmith1990

He's been handsomely rewarded for his service to the club. There's no need for me to fawn over his time at United like some super fan. The fact is he's no where near good enough for a top team. Spanish managers have known this for years

davidmichael

So you’d keep him because he’s been a good player in his time at United and been around for years ? This is why Real are so successful as it doesn’t matter what you’ve done for them in the past, if you can’t do something for them in the present or future they get rid whereas we reward players for staying on a ridiculous salary that they wouldn’t get anywhere else and play fecking awful or make constant feck ups that cost us dearly.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We'll have to renew as we cannot afford a replacement, wish we could releade him as he holds us back.
We don't need to spend big money on a replacement. Sure it'd be great to get a Maignan or Costa, but if the scouting team can't find a better keeper for under 20m they need firing. The money we get for selling Henderson combined with the money we save on De Gea's wages (give the new guy 100k a week and we'll still save over 14m a year) can easily cover a more solid goalkeeper. Hell, worst case scenario is that we bring Henderson back and install him as #1.

siw2007

No we should not. He has been a great servant to the club but mistakes are starting to become prevalent in his game and have been for a few years now. This is a great chance for the club to move on and get someone new in.

Chairman Steve

We absolutely should not be begging him to stay. I would move him regardless just to get some new blood in, because he’s been part of way too many United teams that have let fans down and failed. Just look at his place in the pecking order for Spain.

Unless he’s got a superb centre back pairing in front of him like Ferdinand and Vidic, or in the present day Varane and Martinez, then he’s limited. Those pairings consist of high level performers and experience who negate his limitations.

GledTheRed

We don't need to spend big money on a replacement. Sure it'd be great to get a Maignan or Costa, but if the scouting team can't find a better keeper for under 20m they need firing. The money we get for selling Henderson combined with the money we save on De Gea's wages (give the new guy 100k a week and we'll still save over 14m a year) can easily cover a more solid goalkeeper. Hell, worst case scenario is that we bring Henderson back and install him as #1.
I think Henderson is absolutely worh the gamble at this stage and I don't overly rate him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Even if De Gea stays, we still need to sign another goalkeeper due to the contract situations of our current back-ups.

So if De Gea does sign another contract, our only hope is that the goalkeeper we sign is actual competition and not just a Butland type keeper.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I think Henderson is absolutely worh the gamble at this stage and I don't overly rate him.
Absolutely can't stand that guy, but if it means we'll have 50m extra for decent midfielders or our first proper RB since Antonio Valencia I'm all for it.

Pickle85

It's not entirely inaccurate though. Great servant he may have been, but he's miles below par now.
Agreed that he's miles below where he was. I just can't see us spending 130 million on a new cf and CM and still having change to spend on a keeper.
I mean not that many bigger issues. A striker certainly and a centre-midfielder too. After that the argument for goalkeeper being next in line for an upgrade is as strong or stronger than any other position.

Unless people seriously expect us to only make two signings this summer, the argument that we can't replace De Gea doesn't hold. It's just about choosing to upgrade GK over another position.
Again, broadly agree. I see us making more than two signings but I suspect we'll spend big money on a cf and CM and then make a few punt signings. We may buy a new keeper but i don't think it'll be am automatic new number one signing. I suspect it'll be a prospect to take over from ddg in a season or two.
He's been handsomely rewarded for his service to the club. There's no need for me to fawn over his time at United like some super fan. The fact is he's no where near good enough for a top team. Spanish managers have known this for years
Well, yes. Top players get paid top wages. He's no longer a top keeper but it's not his fault we gave him that contract. That's on our management team. To call him a shit player says more about you as a fan than anything else.

SAFMUTD

Yes, on half the salary he is currently on as the number 2.

Take it or leave it would be my attitude.
Even at half his current wages he'd be a top 3 paid keeper in the league.

Which shows how absolutely mental Is the contract we gave him. Considering he's been awful for 5 years yet that contract is 4 years old.

sirAlexsglasses

I don’t think the club really want to, we have a limited budget under these shithouses yet so much needs overhauling. It’s going to cost north of 60 million to get the type of keeper we need, and there will be the “united price”.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
De Gea must have a 15min or so lowlights clips video now.
Today was down there with almost any other he's produced. Mishit pea roller from 25 yards that didn't even bounce awkwardly.

Status
Not open for further replies.