Should we renew De Gea's contract?

Renew?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost bear

A lot of posters here seem to be in denial and think this is some kind of 3D chess move.

Unfortunately, ETH rates DDG and wants him to stay. It's that simple.
His face was like thunder today after De Gea’s feck up. I would think he’s probably had enough.

SAFMUTD

I understand people saying we dont have the budget to replace him. Those must be thinking we must necessarily sign Maignan or Costa but in order to improve on De Gea any average keeper will do. I'm not exaggerating the data back up this.

The problem with renewing De Gea is that we'll be doomed for another 4 years. We can sign a stop gap keeper like Navas on loan or keep Henderson one season and then we make the change in the summer of 2024. But if we renew De Gea that's over, we're tied until 2027 and he'll only get worse as his weaknesses won't improve and his reflexes will only deteriorate.

the moment is now, we must get rid of him now or he's going to finish his career here and we'll keep dealing with the same shit he's been giving us for the last 5 years, at best.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I get the impression that today was a back breaker for those on the fence about him staying.

Roboc7

No but look how difficult we found it to buy and sell players last summer and that was without a takeover hanging over the club. Big compromises have to be made somewhere because there just isn’t the competence to operate at a high level in the transfer window. That’s without even taking the budget into consideration as well which is only going to stretch so far.

Until the owners and DOF change then we will constantly be making do.

Alcio77

I really hope he's gone diplomatic with this answer and its not the real answer he wanted to give.
what else could ETH realistically say? Do we expect that he throws DDG under the bus in public?
He knows DDG was shit and bloodily cost us this season. But he is still part of the team and, with 5 games to go till the end of the season, would be insane to do any different statements in front of the media

Pickle85

There's plenty of players available for £50m or under. We don't have to keep spending £90m on every player we buy.
Ok, which CM and cf could we pick up for 50 million or less that would be first eleven united quality?

Baneofthegame

No, it's clear to play a progressive style we have to move on, he shits himself playing out from the back, he can't command his area or sweep well.

I'd rather free up the wage bill and have Henderson in goal at this point.

Footyking

I feel he is a liability and needs replacing. Can't use his feet, can't deal with crosses, can't stop penalties and now is prone to the odd howler. If we had a strong technical back line we could deal with this. But we don't.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Henderson is shit, Forest are shit -32 goal difference, NO dont want him anywhere near here.
He's been in one of the worst teams in the league that had a completely new squad at the beginning of the season where the players literally didn't know each other, and he's been injured half the season. Despite that their defence was better in the period that he was playing (conceding 1.72 goals per game overall compared to 1.93 without him despite his replacement being WC-winning Navas) and had been starting to click and look relatively solid (five clean sheets in his last eight games) until falling apart almost immediately after his injury.

Do I want Henderson as #1? No, I want better. But if it's a choice between him and De Gea I'll take Henderson thanks. The only time he got a run in the team just so happened to be the best our defence as a whole looked during the periods before and after. Coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
what else could ETH realistically say? Do we expect that he throws DDG under the bus in public?
He knows DDG was shit and bloodily cost us this season. But he is still part of the team and, with 5 games to go till the end of the season, would be insane to do any different statements in front of the media
That's what I know a logical person would do, as there's no way he's throwing him under the bus and sticking Butland in there.
Just saying I hope that's the case and he doesn't really believe we should keep him.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
yes but massive paycut. cut to the same wages as Allisson..

150k/w would sound right.
Not sure if I'm missing a white text but for 150k/week (Alisson wages as you said), I'd prefer a keeper with Alisson level performance, not DDG.

humdinger

I’m starting to hate him. He’s played under Ferguson, won trophies, our longest serving player and in his thirties yet he still lacks any authority or composure and regularly lets us down on big occasions.

He must go.

DevTheRed

I honestly don’t get why we would renew his contact given he’s declining, doesn’t fit Ten Hags philosophy, can’t claim crosses, can’t pass, can’t sweep and now the last couple of seasons he has some massive mistakes in him.

Even if we don’t have the budget there will be some 30+ keeper out there coming to the end of his contract who will fit the bill for a season or two. What’s Romero up to these days? :rolleyes:

Leg-End

There are cheap alternatives out there that could even turn out to be bargains but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a stop gap solution to turf De Gea out. Continuing with a football player that can’t do fundamental basics of your football philosophy is career suicide, ETH surely knows this.

Pronewbie

Peep
I voted no, but I wouldn't mind him staying for drastically reduced wages and as a squad player. It's not like he's going to be able to snag a good deal at a big club.

CaseHero

De Gea has been a wonderful servent to the club and had some great seasons but this is a club where you can't survive by reputation alone.

The errors are costing us in big games and it's hurting the confidence of the team and what the manager is trying to build especially the mentality. The role of keeper has evolved and we need to also by looking to the future and bringing in a keeper who is calm on the ball inspires confidence.

He can't survive on shot stopping alone, he doesn't even command the box which kills us on set pieces and the worst keeper I've seen in pens. Everything builds from the back and it's time to stop the rot.

Keep him has back up on a much reduced salary or offload. We need to be ruthless to compete again and stop with all the sentiment of rewarding medicrocity.

Eddy_JukeZ

Anyone at the club who wants him to stay as the #1 should work in a different sport.

Andy_Cole

Yup this

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
This has become a big a priority as a striker.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I said no to contract renewal, but can see them renewing him as there likely won't be the money to spend on a new GK. He does these Hollywood saves over and over again, so the costly mistakes and his weaknesses get overlooked.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I always thought keeping him as a backup plan whilst we look for a new keeper was prudent but I don't think so anymore. Shades of Pepe Reina at the end of his Liverpool stint.

crossy1686

career ending
Ok, which CM and cf could we pick up for 50 million or less that would be first eleven united quality?
I’m not a scout so how would I know what qualities are needed for a CM to succeed in the managers plans? However I’d be happy to do nothing all year, get paid and then tell the club they should sign Casemiro or whoever the manager fancies.

But in all seriousness, we looked at players like Cacedio before he joined Brighton and decided we didn’t want to get ripped off by paying £15m when Brighton were paying £5m, but now we’re happy to pay £70m for him apparently.

These players exist but we’re choosing not to sign them because the manager wants players like Antony instead for daft money, when someone like Bowen would have probably been more effective and cost way less.

None of the players we’ve signed in the last few years for big money have been United quality anyway so why not just take the gamble on someone cheaper we can just sell easily if it doesn’t work out?

Pickle85

I’m not a scout so how would I know what qualities are needed for a CM to succeed in the managers plans? However I’d be happy to do nothing all year, get paid and then tell the club they should sign Casemiro or whoever the manager fancies.

But in all seriousness, we looked at players like Cacedio before he joined Brighton and decided we didn’t want to get ripped off by paying £15m when Brighton were paying £5m, but now we’re happy to pay £70m for him apparently.

These players exist but we’re choosing not to sign them because the manager wants players like Antony instead for daft money, when someone like Bowen would have probably been more effective and cost way less.

None of the players we’ve signed in the last few years for big money have been United quality anyway so why not just take the gamble on someone cheaper we can just sell easily if it doesn’t work out?
I take your point and I don't disagree with the principle, but there is a reason that the top four clubs tend to spend big on starters: because they should be proven quality. Clubs like Brighton are more able to take a punt on less proven players as starters because they're not expected to get top four year on year. We tried thud with DvB and look how that turned out.

It's very easy to say 'we should be picking up quality starters for less than 50 million' but then say 'I'm not a scout, I don't know who they are'. In reality, Chelsea, City and even the goons tend to spend big on starters for key positions because they tend to be less of a risk. Obviously we'd all love it if we could pick up a sure thing cf/CM for 30 million but it's tricky to come up with names.

crossy1686

career ending
I take your point and I don't disagree with the principle, but there is a reason that the top four clubs tend to spend big on starters: because they should be proven quality. Clubs like Brighton are more able to take a punt on less proven players as starters because they're not expected to get top four year on year. We tried thud with DvB and look how that turned out.

It's very easy to say 'we should be picking up quality starters for less than 50 million' but then say 'I'm not a scout, I don't know who they are'. In reality, Chelsea, City and even the goons tend to spend big on starters for key positions because they tend to be less of a risk. Obviously we'd all love it if we could pick up a sure thing cf/CM for 30 million but it's tricky to come up with names.
Personally I think we as fans need to accept that we don’t even have a core spine of the team to build around yet so no matter who we sign, we’re always 2 years or so away from them integrating and adjusting to the league anyway, so why not go for players that have the right attributes instead of names?

Donny was a bust, but that was poor recruitment, there are other players we’ve turned down because a name became available instead. There’s no way we should have chased Sancho for two seasons when there’s other wingers available for less.

It’s the recruitment teams job to identify these targets but it seems like they’re not even involved in the recruitment process these days. We might not always find a good player when shopping in the lower valuations but there’s zero consequences for players who moved on big money and fail, they just stick around forever and leave on a free in 5 years time and £90m in wages later.

If you went to stop rots like what’s happening now, all the players need to feel that they will be sold in the summer if they consistently fall under acceptable levels of performance. And we can’t do that when they’re on massively inflated salaries and came in for huge transfers.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Not sure Arsenal are a great example. Zinchenko (€35m), Odegaard (€35m), Ramdale (€28m), Partey (€50m), Gabriel (€26m), Saliba (€30m), Martinelli (€7m). Add in academy players and it's a near starting eleven of a team who are currently better than us signed for mid range or lower prices.

Pickle85

Not sure Arsenal are a great example. Zinchenko (€35m), Odegaard (€35m), Ramdale (€28m), Partey (€50m), Gabriel (€26m), Saliba (€30m), Martinelli (€7m). Add in academy players and it's a near starting eleven of a team who are currently better than us signed for mid range or lower prices.
Yeah that's fair. How on earth did they get odegaard for 35m?! Of those players, though, I would say that zinchenko and gabriel are pretty meh.

Fergies Gum

People need to remember this is the same club that extended Phil Jones' contract despite the higher ups knowing he would never return to full fitness again. De Gea can score 5 own goals in the next game but the people running this club will still extend his contract.

CM

I really hope he's gone diplomatic with this answer and its not the real answer he wanted to give.
It's the answer that's going to get him sacked next season if it isn't

Traub

Not sure if I'm missing a white text but for 150k/week (Alisson wages as you said), I'd prefer a keeper with Alisson level performance, not DDG.
Alisson is literally 10x the keeper so offer DDG 15k as the cone boy.

IRN-BRUno

Until yesterday I was in the 'we have other priorities so another year is fine' camp but I think we just have to move on now. He's been a great player for the club but it's time to be ruthless.

If he is still being offered a new contract then it has to be only for a year, we can't be in a situation where he's signed up for another couple of seasons making it impossible to let him go.

Rusholme Ruffian

Mistakes can happen, and they often come in clusters, but what struck me last night was his complete cowardice in jumping for the ball in crowded areas. Often he jumps for the ball so half-heartedly that he genuinely looks like he's just praying for a little contact to win a free-kick rather actually attempting to dominate and catch the ball come what may. He was so lucky that that incident with Antonio was given as a foul and the goal disallowed, most other keepers would have just made sure they caught the ball and worried about the contact later - he didn't even try once he felt the (pretty slight) contact and left it up to the ref/VAR to make a decision.

My view on keeping him is that I would only do so on the basis that he is made fully aware that United will be signing another keeper in the summer and he will be expected to fight for his place with no guarantees. His wages should be reduced to a level that reflects that reduced status. If he accepts then fine, if not then say goodbye and heartfelt thanks - could see him moving to Italy and doing well.

SAFMUTD

I said no to contract renewal, but can see them renewing him as there likely won't be the money to spend on a new GK. He does these Hollywood saves over and over again, so the costly mistakes and his weaknesses get overlooked.
I don't think is getting overlooked anymore, in fact it hasn't since 4-5 seasons at least.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Seriously questionable logic renewing a goalkeeper to be a backup on 200k per week :lol:
The guy wouldn't get 100k anywhere. If he's going to be backup, give him backup tier wages. You should get wages based on your role, not your name.v

Status
Not open for further replies.