g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Scott McTominay image 39

Scott McTominay Scotland flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Well I don’t know how I can make it more simple for you, international football outside of the top sides is a much lower standard than the Premiership. That’s why he scores more for Scotland than United. Georgia would be a Championship side at best if they played in the league.
You conveniently ignored Spain who are a much higher standard than Scotland in which McTominay scored both goals.

Again, without drawing pictures, I simply cannot make this any easier to understand. He is playing teams at a higher standard than that of his teammates and he is performing ridiculously well with a good manager in the correct position.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Well I don’t know how I can make it more simple for you, international football outside of the top sides is a much lower standard than the Premiership. That’s why he scores more for Scotland than United. Georgia would be a Championship side at best if they played in the league.
You conveniently ignored Spain who are a much higher standard than Scotland in which McTominay scored both goals.

Again, without drawing pictures, I simply cannot make this any easier to understand. He is playing teams at a higher standard than that of his teammates and he is performing ridiculously well with a good manager in the correct position.
McTominay is performing well for both Country & Club atm.
Unfortunately it is almost unacceptable to post positively about McTominay,
Unfortunately people have been offended by your supportive remarks re McT and have felt the need to respond, which they are entitled to do.
For the record, I think he deserves some praise for Club & Country.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Unfortunately people have been offended by your supportive remarks re McT and have felt the need to respond, which they are entitled to do.
I do find it bizarre but it seems common on here to be critical of players who are performing far better than the likes Rashford, Antony etc.

Everton 0:3 Man Utd

edgecutter

It is severe incompetence at the club that we haven't been to get a functioning midfield, because he was dreadful again today. Thank god Mainoo was in midfield because McTominay went MIA again and offered about as much as Casimero sitting at home.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'm a big fan of McTominay, however, he was very quiet today. Usually, he at least has some moments in the game, whether it be shots on goal or a few driving runs, but he didn't really do much today.

Superunknown

He can rotate in and out for the other midfield position, as the other two belong to Bruno and Mainoo. That spot is completely up for grabs. The drop off is large, though. There's a chasm filled with mediocrity there.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
McTominay's got a lot of heart, he bleeds United red, but he's just not good enough for this level. Too often the ball goes right back where it came from with him. You contrast that with the responsibility Mainoo shows with the ball, its like night and day. We need more players who can take it under pressure, turn and open up the game by carrying the ball. McTominay just isn't that. Instead of Mount, we should've bought a player with pace and power who can also play in that #8.

In fairness to McTominay, he's more of an advanced #8 who excels making third man runs. But that, again, illustrates how badly this United squad has been put together because we have far too many of those e.g., Mount, Van de Beek, even Bruno. Not enough actual out and out central midfielders. Of which, possibly, we have one in the squad thanks to our academy (Mainoo) not our recruitment.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Played cm but only played 5 more passes than Martial. That’s takes some doing. Doing a job all the same.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It is severe incompetence at the club that we haven't been to get a functioning midfield, because he was dreadful again today. Thank god Mainoo was in midfield because McTominay went MIA again and offered about as much as Casimero sitting at home.
Yep. He’s been here getting starts for almost 5 years with performances like that while top reds call him “useful” and Mainoo comes in and embarrassed him in his first start.

NZT-One

Don't really know why he started today over Amrabat. He was alright, didn't really stand out positively or negatively. Same as Bruno and actually as Mainoo (but he of course gets a different evaluation because it was his debut).

Bobski

I'm a big fan of McTominay, however, he was very quiet today. Usually, he at least has some moments in the game, whether it be shots on goal or a few driving runs, but he didn't really do much today.
He started well, then just drifted out of the game. I miss the days when he used to run with the ball, but he he has lost a bit of the pace and agility he has a young player that allowed him to do that. Made some good attacking runs off the ball that came to nothing but very quiet, 21/26 passes completed which is a regression after a bit of an improvement in that recently.

crossy1686

career ending
So the Athletic lads suggested McTomminay gets in the team because there's a lack of leaders in the squad and McTomminay at least brings energy and a certain mentality to the field, which is fecking sad when you consider how much money we've spent on players.

edgecutter

Manioo played nearly 30 mins less than McTominay and had more than double the amount of touches. He's hiding in midfield and it needs to end

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He’s everything except an actual central midfielder.
Correct.

He's just not a midfielder, you can recognize one if you see it (we got a nice sample today from Mainoo in first or second minute of the game).
Maybe he's a Centre Back by nature, maybe a target man/unspecified type of attacker or even second striker. But the truth is, he is NOT in the team to help us progress the ball. He is there for some other reasons, what I find bizarre that a manager that is supposed to be a good coach would settle for that.

Roboc7

He’s been shite this season other than the goals, that was a typical Mctominay performance, just nowhere good enough and completely lacking the desire and ability to be more involved. Just shows how Amrabat must be as still can’t get a game ahead of him.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Correct.

He's just not a midfielder, you can recognize one if you see it (we got a nice sample today from Mainoo in first or second minute of the game).
Maybe he's a Centre Back by nature, maybe a target man/unspecified type of attacker or even second striker. But the truth is, he is NOT in the team to help us progress the ball. He is there for some other reasons, what I find bizarre that a manager that is supposed to be a good coach would settle for that.
The most annoying part is he doesn't even win many duels. You'd think with his size that at least he's in there to win 50/50's and then give it to actual passers but no he loses a good amount of those as well. Absolute pointless player in this side.

clarkydaz

So the Athletic lads suggested McTomminay gets in the team because there's a lack of leaders in the squad and McTomminay at least brings energy and a certain mentality to the field, which is fecking sad when you consider how much money we've spent on players.
i'd love to know what mentality they see he brings, i assume they see someone over 6 foot and a short haircut

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The most annoying part is he doesn't even win many duels. You'd think with his size that at least he's in there to win 50/50's and then give it to actual passers but no he loses a good amount of those as well. Absolute pointless player in this side.

Well, you could have 10 McTominays on the pitch in one team, and there will be goals. No football will be played on that day, but the ball will sometimes fall to their feet and one of them will convert it.

So in a way I can see what he brings to the team, but I am just surprised Ten Hag is happy with that since we lose so much as a team when he plays. It's a crime against football.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's just infuriating having to watch him play football.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Amazes me that we can win games with him playing as a false midfielder for the whole game

criticalanalysis

Amazes me that we can win games with him playing as a false midfielder for the whole game
He occupies spaces where the opposition would not mark him therefore drawing them in and therefore giving us double the work to make up for it.

Silent domination :cool:

Valencia Shin Crosses

Well, you could have 10 McTominays on the pitch in one team, and there will be goals. No football will be played on that day, but the ball will sometimes fall to their feet and one of them will convert it.

So in a way I can see what he brings to the team, but I am just surprised Ten Hag is happy with that since we lose so much as a team when he plays. It's a crime against football.
Exactly. He’s a perfect player for some footballing terrorist midtable side that just wants to commit fouls and muck everything up as he could do that then pop up with a goal when charging into the box. But he’s utterly horrific for any forward thinking progressive side and it annoys me to no end that Ten Hag both saw fit to keep him from leaving this summer and now incessantly starting him. It’s unnecessarily pragmatic

CallyRed

Allowed Mainoo to look great by being so anonymous. What a good team player does.

Red00012

He’s shite his few goals to save us is about as good as it gets .
Should have paired Amrabat with Mainoo

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

I’m not offended in the least just dismayed, annoyed and frustrated that this guy is still here after all this time getting regular game time at Manchester United when he is nowhere near good enough to do so. It beggers belief in my opinion that we haven’t moved on from him. Speaks volumes to how little talent that he has that there was practically zero interest in him during the summer when he was apparently available for transfer from any other club in the Premiership apart from Moyes who made one very half hearted attempt to sign him for what is a very modest fee in today’s market.

And as to his apparent goal threat in the Premiership being neutralised by being misused and played in a defensive mode by a succession of managers, didn’t stop Steve Bruce back in the day out scoring McTomminey from centre half.
Problem is he certainly isn’t a forward or a defender so what is he and why does he have to be shoe horned into the side all the time? Just don’t get it.

Ludens the Red

Literally. I actually screamed out loud at one point in the game. Mainoo had dropped deep to pick the ball up and there was a good pocket for Mctominay to slot in and receive the pass. Instead he ran away behind some Everton player. Was absolutely fuming. Luckily Mainoo didn’t panic, he just looked elsewhere and passed.
He just doesnt do any sort of convincing midfielding. Unless midfielding is running around kicking people giving away fouls Tryna look the hard man.

Remember the geese

Because he's got bollocks that's why and when the going gets tough, he fights for the club I support. Some players on the other hand, do the complete opposite, which is why we find ourselves in a shitty position year in year out.
Agreed that we have many gutless players. However if I was to be a fan of a player, that player would have to be genuinely good. Not just someone who cares about the club. We all do.

Walters_19_MuFc

Agreed that we have many gutless players. However if I was to be a fan of a player, that player would have to be genuinely good. Not just someone who cares about the club. We all do.
Its funny how top managers have all stuck by Scott McTominay, yet fans say otherwise.

Is he elegant? No, but he gets the job done. Definitely worthy of a squad place, in my opinion, and I believe he'd have been a useful squad player under Sir Alex, and that's nothing to do with the fact that he's Scottish.

Funnily enough, since he's come back into the team, we've been better. Is that solely down to him? Of course not, but as I said before, he's a player who steps up when needed.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Its funny how top managers have all stuck by Scott McTominay, yet fans say otherwise.

Is he elegant? No, but he gets the job done. Definitely worthy of a squad place, in my opinion, and I believe he'd have been a useful squad player under Sir Alex, and that's nothing to do with the fact that he's Scottish.

Funnily enough, since he's come back into the team, we've been better. Is that solely down to him? Of course not, but as I said before, he's a player who steps up when needed.
He's a dependable player, that's why managers love him.
He follows orders, he actually does cover a lot of ground, despite what some may say, and he chips in with important moments in games.

He isn't ever going to be world class, but teams don't need 11 world class players.
You are 100% right when you say he steps up when needed.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's a dependable player, that's why managers love him.
He follows orders, he actually does cover a lot of ground, despite what some may say, and he chips in with important moments in games.

He isn't ever going to be world class, but teams don't need 11 world class players.
You are 100% right when you say he steps up when needed.
Mourinho on McTominay:

“He’s a special character, a special personality that a team in a negative moment needs," he added. “Do my other players have that mentality? Not all of them. Everybody is a different person.

“Scott McTominay is a kid with a special character, very humble, aggressive in a positive way, brave, he’s a special kid."

https://www.besoccer.com/new/mourinho-hails-special-mctominay-511195

clarkydaz

His current manager was happy to sell him. What job does he get done?