View full 2022-23 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Benched, but still managed to influence the game massively.

Man Utd fanbase is the ONLY fanbase in world football where we praise one of our own hy shitting on another of our own.

I think sometimes it’s easy to lose perspective of the quality of opponents in national team games.

I been involved in AFC Wimbledon for a long time and watch their games on a regular basis. They have not been a pretty sight in L2 this season — and now this weekend their squad is depleted with all players away on international duty (Wales, New Zeeland, Iraq and so forth).

Many of these opponents are Championship-L2 level.

I think sometimes it’s easy to lose perspective of the quality of opponents in national team games.

I been involved in AFC Wimbledon for a long time and watch their games on a regular basis. They have not been a pretty sight in L2 this season — and now this weekend their squad is depleted with all players away on international duty (Wales, New Zeeland, Iraq and so forth).

Many of these opponents are Championship-L2 level.

They beat Cyprus....and his goals were nice and inside 10 yards from good service. Did he start his youth career as a CF then has had to move back into midfield, defensive mid, and CB for Scotland?

Man Utd fanbase is the ONLY fanbase in world football where we praise one of our own hy shitting on another of our own.
It's the only fanbase who also actively tries to belittle achievements of one of their own players, such as scoring an international brace.

Every fan base does it, especially when neither of the two players are good enough (not their fault of course).

I hope Mctominay has sense to make sure his next club play him in a role where he can get in the box like he did today. That’s by far his best chance of being a starter somewhere else in PL and of being a regular in Scotland’s midfield.

Every fan base does it, especially when neither of the two players are good enough (not their fault of course).

I hope Mctominay has sense to make sure his next club play him in a role where he can get in the box like he did today. That’s by far his best chance of being a starter somewhere else in PL and of being a regular in Scotland’s midfield.

100%. I’ve said in other threads that his problem is the ideal role for him doesn’t really exist in better teams. You have to let him charge forward and get into goal scoring positions, but he’s also not a creator so can’t be your true final third player. Basically need a lower level side that plays an old school 442

100%. I’ve said in other threads that his problem is the ideal role for him doesn’t really exist in better teams. You have to let him charge forward and get into goal scoring positions, but he’s also not a creator so can’t be your true final third player. Basically need a lower level side that plays an old school 442

No there aren’t many teams that play that way, he effectively needs to be someone who supplements the midfield and tries to score goals.As soon as he is expected to be an actual midfielder he’ll struggle, fact he does with Scotland is indication he’d have same problem at other PL clubs.

ETH uses him further forward mostly now and I think it was a huge error of previous managers to not recognise what he is actually good at.

Based on him being a better finisher, a bit quicker, better on the ball, all with the same level of defensive effort
Didn't we play him as a #10 in one game early in the season (or it may have been late last season) and he had absolutely no idea where to position himself? Was even more invisible than he normally is. It'd probably be even worse up front.

Didn't we play him as a #10 in one game early in the season (or it may have been late last season) and he had absolutely no idea where to position himself? Was even more invisible than he normally is. It'd probably be even worse up front.
Can’t see him being any worse than Weghorst.

Can’t see him being any worse than Weghorst.
Wout has been shit in front of goal, but otherwise he's had plenty of games where he's been at least decent if not better. His link-up play is probably the thing that has been most inconsistent; it's pretty much a 50/50 thing where in some games he's been poor in that regard as well, while in other games he's actually done well and played a good part in our entire attack functioning and linking the other attackers to the rest of the team.

I highly doubt Scott would be better than Wout has been in his good games. I'm also pretty sure Wout is a much better presser than Scott would be.

They beat Cyprus....and his goals were nice and inside 10 yards from good service. Did he start his youth career as a CF then has had to move back into midfield, defensive mid, and CB for Scotland?
Cyprus are ranked 110th just for context for the 1st 3 words in your post.

Wout has been shit in front of goal, but otherwise he's had plenty of games where he's been at least decent if not better. His link-up play is probably the thing that has been most inconsistent; it's pretty much a 50/50 thing where in some games he's been poor in that regard as well, while in other games he's actually done well and played a good part in our entire attack functioning and linking the other attackers to the rest of the team.

I highly doubt Scott would be better than Wout has been in his good games. I'm also pretty sure Wout is a much better presser than Scott would be.

So terrible in front of goal every game, 50/50 link up play, and zero off of the ball threat means "decent if not better" these days?

His main issue is he's a terrible passer of the ball for a midfielder, especially a deeper one. He's a better dribbler/carrier than Weghorst ever will be

Not just his passing, but he first touch under pressure too, which is pretty essential for the CF role. Its not like we are relying on Weghorst to be a ball carrier are we

So terrible in front of goal every game, 50/50 link up play, and zero off of the ball threat means "decent if not better" these days?
I never said he's been decent if not better overall. I said he's had plenty of games where he's been that level. Likewise I'd say he's had plenty of games where he hasn't. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect from 50/50.

Wout's first four games here were good in terms of overall impact on the team. Then he had four or five shit games. Then he had a couple of good and a couple of bad. And that general trend has continued ever since, with him having a similar amount of good to bad. Obviously his good games are still only good enough to be squad player level, and the fact he hasn't been able to do that consistently means he's not even suitable to be that long-term. But let's be honest, the exact same should be said about McTominay in his natural position of midfield, let alone expecting Scott to play striker (which is the point I was responding to).

Not just his passing, but he first touch under pressure too, which is pretty essential for the CF role. Its not like we are relying on Weghorst to be a ball carrier are we

We aren't relying on him to do it because he's a human backboard that is incapable of doing so. Which is sort of my point, McTominay has shown to be great at instantly passing it back to whoever gave him the ball. Not losing much there

I never said he's been decent if not better overall. I said he's had plenty of games where he's been that level. Likewise I'd say he's had plenty of games where he hasn't. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect from 50/50.

Wout's first four games here were good in terms of overall impact on the team. Then he had four or five shit games. Then he had a couple of good and a couple of bad. And that general trend has continued ever since, with him having a similar amount of good to bad. Obviously his good games are still only good enough to be squad player level, and the fact he hasn't been able to do that consistently means he's not even suitable to be that long-term. But let's be honest, the exact same should be said about McTominay in his natural position of midfield, let alone expecting Scott to play striker (which is the point I was responding to).

Let me be clear, I'm in no way saying either is good enough to play striker for us. They are both pretty shit for the standards we should be striving for. I just think McTominay offers essentially the same traits as the fan favorite loan striker we have currently while probably being a better goal scorer as well.

We aren't relying on him to do it because he's a human backboard that is incapable of doing so. Which is sort of my point, McTominay has shown to be great at instantly passing it back to whoever gave him the ball. Not losing much there

Or because its not as important as the other things for a CF, hold up play, link up play and scoring goals, granted Weghorst is rubbish at the later
On the bolded part :wenger:

McTominay would honestly score more goals playing up front than Wout.

No hate to Wout but it's just what I believe would happen.

I'm honestly surprised he's never been given a go there considering he was a striker at one point in his youth.

McTominay would honestly score more goals playing up front than Wout.

No hate to Wout but it's just what I believe would happen.

I'm honestly surprised he's never been given a go there considering he was a striker at one point in his youth.

I've always said he's got attributes for being a striker. He's scored some good goals for us. Good close control, great at heading and shooting, makes good runs and has good instincts in the box.

In midfield he has great work rate and good tackling, but he lacks the main attribute you need for being a minister midfielder - passing.

Last edited:
He can play deep midfield, but not as a single pivot. He needs an organizer alongside him who can also be the primary playmaker. MCT lacks the awareness and confidence on the ball to be consistent initiator from deep. Can be quite effective at certain defensive aspects, aerials, interceptions, dropping in to supplement the CB's. Also needs the freedom to make supporting runs, get into the box occasionally.

Better player than he is given credit for but not a natural fit for Ten Hag's system which leaves the deep midfielder highly isolated. Probably do well enough in an old fashioned double pivot at a lesser club.

He's a better striker than Weghorst. I'm not even joking. And somehow people rate Weghorst or think he's useful.

He'd probably score more but we'd still end up losing the match because we'd be playing with 10. Apparently he averages 18 passes a match from midfield, imagine up top.

Mctominay upping his price tag. Why is it that most of our players are better on the international stage :confused:

Mctominay upping his price tag. Why is it that most of our players are better on the international stage :confused:

Poor coaching, but I think we have improved this season with Ten Haag. The PL is also harder than intenational football.

Status
Not open for further replies.