View full 2022-23 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mctominay upping his price tag. Why is it that most of our players are better on the international stage :confused:
Not sure he is. He was getting pelters for playing poorly in a back 3 for much of his international career. Or the jibe that he's not good enough to start in midfield. He's just having a couple of good games. He's had a burst of goals for us before after all.

He's definitely better running forward into the box. Picking the ball up on the half turn or being asked to distribute is not him.

True. But he scored against Spain who are better than the likes of Fulham etc.

I think in general it may suit Mctominay playing as an underdog vs big sides. It is in possesion I do not like him that much. Defensivly he can always do a job.

Him now scoring for fun not sure about, but he has scored goals at times for us too. Just usually do not get many chances .

Who said we need a striker?? We’ve been playing him in the wrong position all this time! :drool:

fecking hell, at first I was just kidding but now i'm serious. Stick him upfront!

His best position, like Fred, is as a box-to-box midfielder with freedom to run into the box. Casemiro enables us to at least try that.

I always love seeing a player who has been under the hammer have a good run.
With respect to those saying he cant go up front because of his passing, passing isnt the main priority of a striker, scoring goals is.

Put it this way, if it's 0-0 at Newcastle on Sunday going into injury time and we get a big chance I'd rather it fell to Mctominay than Weghorst

His shooting technique has always been one of strongest parts of his game. He's had some really tidy strikes.

Would he be doing a better job up front for us than Weghorst?
I’m afraid not. He is the player he’s always been. He’d definitely be more likely to hit a clean shot but he can’t do the positional stuff that Weghorst is good at. He cannot read the game as it is going on around him.

Not sure he is. He was getting pelters for playing poorly in a back 3 for much of his international career. Or the jibe that he's not good enough to start in midfield. He's just having a couple of good games. He's had a burst of goals for us before after all.

He's definitely better running forward into the box. Picking the ball up on the half turn or being asked to distribute is not him.
Yeah, I was going to post that.

If he was getting all these goals playing as a #9, leading the line as a target man, then I could sort of understand the push to try it with us as a desperate measure.

But he isn't. He's playing the role he's most suited to - a #8 midfielder looking to drive forward and arrive late in the box with off the ball runs and chip in with goals from midfield.

That's good news he's on form in midfield, given the current absence of Casemiro, Eriksen and possibly Sabitzer who didn't play for Austria. But not a reason to play him in a completely different role up front back to goal.

I’m afraid not. He is the player he’s always been. He’d definitely be more likely to hit a clean shot but he can’t do the positional stuff that Weghorst is good at. He cannot read the game as it is going on around him.

You act like Weghorst is Cavani with his movement :lol: . His main attribute is his cardio and chasing the ball relentlessly for 90 minutes.

You act like Weghorst is Cavani with his movement :lol: . His main attribute is his cardio and chasing the ball relentlessly for 90 minutes.
I don’t think I said that and didn’t mean to imply that Weghorst is good enough, only that McT would undoubtedly be worse.

I’ve always felt the one genuinely top element to his game is his ability to strike the ball. He doesn’t shoot too frequently but when he does it’s really clean.

I really do feel in another life, and if he was 4-6 inches shorter, he’d be living his life lower down the footballing pyramid as a no.10/forward.

Who changed his position to midfield? Was it Jose or he was already switched to midfield in the academy?

Too bad he cant pass for shite

It is strange his passing. Some days he will pass with conviction and pull out some good ones out but he loses confidence so quickly after a couple of poor passes. The main issue is how bad he is at getting on the ball as often as the position requires, makes him a poor option as a lone DM for a possession team.

Who changed his position to midfield? Was it Jose or he was already switched to midfield in the academy?

He was always a midfielder, just played a few games as a striker in the academy when they were short up front.

I’ve always felt the one genuinely top element to his game is his ability to strike the ball. He doesn’t shoot too frequently but when he does it’s really clean.

I really do feel in another life, and if he was 4-6 inches shorter, he’d be living his life lower down the footballing pyramid as a no.10/forward.
I think your instincts about him belonging further down the pyramid are probably right. I don’t think he’s cut out for tactical football. If he’s told to go out and enjoy himself, that probably gets the best out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.