View full 2022-23 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not even a guy that can nip in and force turnovers like the Henderson, Sabitzer, Fred, Milner mould. He has a pretty large turning radius.

His only redeeming quality when playing next to a #6 is that he can shrug off a challenge and run forwards with the ball.

Really need to get rid.

Yeah, he isn't defensively good. His one good quality is he can dribble and has quick feet, but his lack of off the ball movement is a big issue. He doesn't show up for the ball which means CBs can be easily pressed and we go route one.

Our biggest priority should be CF and a CM who is ball magnet.

Does anyone ever say anything positive on this thread? Clowns

If you want positive stuff go back to the first few pages of the thread. The key to reading positive comments in threads like these is for the player to actually play well.

If you don’t want to read negative comments when someone plays as badly as McT did yesterday you’ll be better off not looking at his performance thread.

This has been one of his biggest issues - he hides from the ball. Not sure if it's deliberate or he is just really poor with his positioning/moving into spaces but he is not the midfielder who can take the ball from our defense and then cycle it forward. With that big a flaw, he can never be a midfielder for us.
It's deliberate. He's in the bottom 10th percentile for attempted passes per 90 and the bottom 13th percentile for progressive passes. He doesn't ever want the ball, and even when he gets it, his first thought is to palm it off.

A central midfielder whose best strengths are off the ball. He'd fare alright in a grafter midfield like Everton or Palace.

maybe its the lack of games this year, maybe he's crumbled under the pressure/competition

Its been a really poor season for Scott.....not sure he has a future at United... Id be keeping Sabitzer and moving him on

If you want positive stuff go back to the first few pages of the thread. The key to reading positive comments in threads like these is for the player to actually play well.

If you don’t want to read negative comments when someone plays as badly as McT did yesterday you’ll be better off not looking at his performance thread.
I would be willing to accept it if people who comment actually go to to Old Trafford but 99.9% of you do not that is the difference

If we got anything over 15 million for him it would be a brilliant bonus, will never be good enough here.

McTom needs replacing in the squad...he is young enough and good enough to start for any team in the bottom half. He doesn't need to sit on the bench collecting payslips, and I think he is not that guy anyway.

United don't really need to buy a replacement either, his squad position can be filled by Mainoo or Hannibal.

Also as a home ground lad his sale should help FFP as it would be pure profit on the account sheet(?) although I'm still not 100% sure how FFP works...so that could be bullshit.

Get 30-40M pounds for him and that will be a great deal for us

Come on Matt(Hargreaves) - bring us that money!

Last edited:
I dont understand why he basically positions himself to not get the ball. Weve seen at times hes good at getting the ball and running with it. But we dont see it often. When hes deeper it seems like he would rather make sure he doesnt get the ball.

In a game like this you would hope he would at least be a good squad player but he looked out of place.

That'd be a good move for him and us. He's decent enough to fetch a reasonable fee, and hopefully Newcastle are in that phase of overpaying for non-elite players, like City were around 2010, so he should get a nice contract out of them.

I like him, but overall he's not quite at the level. Which is annoying, he's shown glimpses of talent, but never on a consistent basis. He definitely has the skillset, but one week he's a solid 7 out of 10, the next he's liability.

I dont understand why he basically positions himself to not get the ball. Weve seen at times hes good at getting the ball and running with it. But we dont see it often. When hes deeper it seems like he would rather make sure he doesnt get the ball.

In a game like this you would hope he would at least be a good squad player but he looked out of place.

I remember Tom Cleverley doing the exact same thing. Standing next to an opposing player and pointing to where the ball should go. The exact opposite of what Scholes and Carrick would do. If they had no space, they found it.

If we got anything over 15 million 40 million for him it would be a brilliant bonus, will never be good enough here.

Corrected, he may not be United quality but he's easily good enough for them. They will also become a rival at some point so no point giving him up for cheap when they clearly value him above some of the CMs they already have.

Get 30-40M pounds for him and that will be a great deal for us
I think selling homegrown players works very well with FFP....25 mil for scott, another 25 for Henderson and 5 mil for Brandon would be nice.....also sell elanga for 15 mil

I remember Tom Cleverley doing the exact same thing. Standing next to an opposing player and pointing to where the ball should go. The exact opposite of what Scholes and Carrick would do. If they had no space, they found it.
The top midfielders I see manage to get into a space to get the ball, and already know whats around them and different options of what they can do. McT at best, would be behind Casemiro, Bruno, Eriksen, Sabitzer (though loan), Fred in the centre. If we add one more behind them too.

I do think he can have a really good career in this league but dont think it would be a top half team.

Corrected, he may not be United quality but he's easily good enough for them. They will also become a rival at some point so no point giving him up for cheap when they clearly value him above some of the CMs they already have.
That remains to be seen, hopefully in our next game.

Last edited:
I thought McTominay played fairly well yesterday.
Made a few clearances,won a few tackles and made a couple of interceptions.
He also passed reasonably well.
He certainly wasn't any worse than any of our other midfielders.
I barely noticed Sabitzer in the 1st half.

Realistically, Casemiro is the only midfielder who ticks all the boxes for what Utd need.
The rest fall short.

I don't understand why he gets so much negativity on this thread.
The responses to this will be very predictable.
Don't let me down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jippy
That remains to be seen, hopefully in our next game.
No it doesn’t. He is good enough for them and he has demonstrated that plenty of times.

what that club is now, i actually disagree. They can be setting sights and expectations higher than McT

I would be willing to accept it if people who comment actually go to to Old Trafford but 99.9% of you do not that is the difference

Why?

There is the saying that the camera adds ten pounds but the camera doesnt turn McT from playing well live at Old Trafford to not playing well on a live game broadcast. The only advantage someone at Old Trafford has is that they can see McT when the action isnt near him. Since one of the main criticism at McT is that he doesnt make himself an option in the build up, being at Old Trafford would make him look worse than when watching from home.

Or are you just going for the ''not at Old Trafford, not a real fan so not allowed to say anything negative'' approach with your comment?

There's a good PL player in there but he doesn't suit our style of football. Moving him on and using the funds to purchase Lavia would be smart business.

what that club is now, i actually disagree. They can be setting sights and expectations higher than McT

What are they? A club that will likely still be fighting for top 6 next season, which McT has been doing his whole time at United.

If I were them sure I would want a better player than McT, however, we shouldn't sniff at players just because they couldn't make it at United.
Look at Andreas Pereira this season for instance.

United need to stop being a hotbed for these average performers on a consistent basis. You can count on one hand how many good games Mctomminay will have in any given season. He's not cut out at the level. If Newcastle desire to have him it would ridiculous of the club to hold on.

What are they? A club that will likely still be fighting for top 6 next season, which McT has been doing his whole time at United.

If I were them sure I would want a better player than McT, however, we shouldn't sniff at players just because they couldn't make it at United.
Look at Andreas Pereira this season for instance.
What league is Pereira playing in. Good chance Newcastle could be playing CL football next season

What league is Pereira playing in. Good chance Newcastle could be playing CL football next season

Pereira couldn't even get in the United side whilst McT did, it was an example. Pereira by the way is now linked with Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.