View full 2022-23 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cliches used about him are that he never lets you down or he’s a good squad player. But he regularly lets the team down in and out of possession by his terrible positioning and he’s so unreliable he has no real use as a squad player.

We’d be absolutely crazy not to sell him in the summer, when Casemiro got sent off it looked like he had 4 starts to try and save himself but he’ll be lucky to start next game let alone next 3 based on that.

Casemiro opens spaces when we have the ball and closes them when the opposite team is in possession. Scott does the opposite - not available for a pass, hiding behind the attackers when our defenders pass it around and has poor defensive work.
Yes, sure - he is not a DMC, but what is his actual position? Never in a million years has the ability on the ball to play 8 or 10.

Perfectly put.

Very glad we didn't sign Longstaff, especially for the price, but even he's two times the player McT is... such a (below)average PL player in virtually every aspect.

Most of McTs showcase moments have been in games we played as underdogs (mainly vs city) when he could essentially behave like a lower-league scrapper able to pull off the occasional first time speculative pass or punt, or against a harum scarum side like Leeds at their least organized. Spatial awareness of a l1 midfielder and similar composure, whilst, as has oft been said, he doesn't even show for the ball properly to recycle and relieve pressure

The cliches used about him are that he never lets you down or he’s a good squad player. But he regularly lets the team down in and out of possession by his terrible positioning and he’s so unreliable he has no real use as a squad player.

We’d be absolutely crazy not to sell him in the summer, when Casemiro got sent off it looked like he had 4 starts to try and save himself but he’ll be lucky to start next game let alone next 3 based on that.

I’ve been saying for a bit now that the term “squad player” is used way too loosely by our fan base to seemingly describe anyone that tries a bit and loves the club instead of players that you know have real utility and can be plugged into a lineup against a good side and you don’t worry about a catastrophic drop off with them.

Happy to see this even though this will be followed by "that's a 100 too many" etc. A United academy product, gives his 100% every time he steps onto the pitch, wears his heart on his sleeve, never complains about anything. Not good enough to be a starter but not as bad as some claim him to be. I'm kind of struggling to find a suitable role/position for him, but if he's happy with the limited role helping out when needed, I'd keep Scotty. Him being a homegrown player I feel we might even need to.

Does he? He could be a capable squad player no doubt but gives his 100% is far too kind... He spends the majority of most games hiding and ensuring he is NOT available for the pass.... The opposite of giving his all in my opinion.

That’s why he strolls about so much when we’re struggling. This bullshit about academy players giving they’re 100% when on the pitch needs to stop. Scott is a clear example of one who doesn’t. Watching him for years it’s a disgrace to watch him shy away from the ball and causing his teammates to get into trouble because he’s not providing a passing outlet.

Does he? He could be a capable squad player no doubt but gives his 100% is far too kind... He spends the majority of most games hiding and ensuring he is NOT available for the pass.... The opposite of giving his all in my opinion.

Fair enough on the not showing for the ball part.

One of the culprits for the lackluster display tonight. Seemed like we played without a midfield because he kept hiding when our defenders were on the ball.

I’ve been saying for a bit now that the term “squad player” is used way too loosely by our fan base to seemingly describe anyone that tries a bit and loves the club instead of players that you know have real utility and can be plugged into a lineup against a good side and you don’t worry about a catastrophic drop off with them.

Exactly good squad played is just recited without any thought. Mctominay is also always described as giving 100% like it’s a badge of honour and as if no one else is trying. But who is he trying harder than and when he’s ball watching and slowly getting back into position is that really giving 100%.

He just isn’t good enough even as a squad player, he’s just making up the numbers and best for everyone involved if he is moved on in the summer.

Grim as usual. Give him an open look from 25 yards out and he'll give a keeper nightmares, but he has game in the middle third of the pitch. For a midfielder, that's a concern.

He was genuinely very good in that period early in the season where we beat Liverpool, Southampton, Leicester and then Arsenal.

What the feck has happened? He's been dreadful ever since.

He was genuinely very good in that period early in the season where we beat Liverpool, Southampton, Leicester and then Arsenal.

I suspect he knows he’s leaving at the end of the season.

He was never genuinely that good for feck sake. Is the bar for very good for a midfielder that low? Very good is just below Casemiro’s level. Very good is Bruno’s level on his day.

Fred is not good enough to be a starter but a good squad option. McTominay is basically our midfield Maguire in that he does not have the qualities for an ETH team.

He was never genuinely that good for feck sake. Is the bar for very good for a midfielder that low? Very good is just below Casemiro’s level. Very good is Bruno’s level on his day.

He played well in the 4 games I mentioned, maybe you've just forgotten.

He isn't good enough for Utd and I hope his days here are numbered. I'm not saying he's a very good player, but he's not as bad as he's been the last few months. He's regularly the worst player on the pitch.

cannot play in a single 6 system. If we were playing 4231 with a 6 and a 6/8 hybrid he can just about get by.

As a lone 6 he is so far below the standard required. Only receives the ball square to his own goal, hides when the back line has the ball - forcing turnovers and a lack of control in the game.

We aren’t even a fully fledged ball playing team yet, we are almost a Klopp/Pep hybrid where Mctominay’s physicality would have some use, one would think. But the early season form has evaporated, time to cut out losses in the summer. He will end up at a Palace type team

He always gives 100% effort to hiding from the ball.

There was a moment today when the stands were going mad at Maguire for how long he held onto the ball.

I tend to think Maguire does plod on the ball, but Martinez and him had no options today. We essentially bypassed the midfield as McTominay doesn't show for it, and can't progress It when he evetually does.

He can get away with it when Eriksen is playing, but he shows himself to be an absolute liability on the ball otherwise.

Saw Shaw become visibly frustrated with him when he didn't make himself available for a pass.
The worst part about that was he just put his hands out after like "I don't know."

Messing up and knowing you messed up are different. To be oblivious is most damning, in my opinion.

There was one attack on the left, McTominay was free around the edge of their box. He actually jogged over to Pereira, to almost mark him. It was our attack. He made himself completely unavailable to receive the ball. Such poor IQ.

He's clearly not confident in his ability to receive the ball under pressure, and so just hides. It's simply not good enough for a central midfielder. Desperately need him to depart just to force us to look at other options.

Genuinely criminal how much he hides himself as a passing option.

Hopefully not at the club next season.

Didn't Rangnick say McT could be our captain. Holy feck how bad would we have to drop for that to happen. Don't see him lasting beyond the summer, he has no role here anymore.

He's just not what ETH wants him to be. He'll go somewhere, to a team that doesn't expect to have the ball perhaps and be a good box to box.
We need two midfielders next year. A starter alongside Casemiro and a back up for him.

Whoever in the academy told him he should be a midfielder needs sacking. He should have stayed as a striker or become a centre back, both roles he could have used his physical tools to do a job. A Weghorst/Maguire type lump. Not at United obviously, but somewhere. How someone with such a lack of technical ability, and such horrific passing, was deemed a midfielder absolutely baffles me.

I feckin hate the term squad player. It's just used to give a mediocre player a pass. Whether it's Maguire, McTominay, Fred or Elanga. It's thrown around every single time.

Other top teams "squad player's" are good enough to get into their starting XI. Our squad player's are squad player's because there's nobody feckin else.

He’s never been great on the ball but playing pass and hide like he did today was highly detrimental. He’s capable of receiving the ball and at the very least just recycling possession. Nobody is asking him to be Pirlo just show for the fecking ball and keep it moving.

Get rid of him asap. Squad players should be able to at least pass it well and show intelligence / awareness in midfield.

Didn't Rangnick say McT could be our captain. Holy feck how bad would we have to drop for that to happen. Don't see him lasting beyond the summer, he has no role here anymore.
He also started Elanga in almost every game. Ragnick was a complete fraud.

cannot play in a single 6 system. If we were playing 4231 with a 6 and a 6/8 hybrid he can just about get by.

As a lone 6 he is so far below the standard required. Only receives the ball square to his own goal, hides when the back line has the ball - forcing turnovers and a lack of control in the game.

We aren’t even a fully fledged ball playing team yet, we are almost a Klopp/Pep hybrid where Mctominay’s physicality would have some use, one would think. But the early season form has evaporated, time to cut out losses in the summer. He will end up at a Palace type team

He's not even a guy that can nip in and force turnovers like the Henderson, Sabitzer, Fred, Milner mould. He has a pretty large turning radius.

His only redeeming quality when playing next to a #6 is that he can shrug off a challenge and run forwards with the ball.

Really need to get rid.

The reason why we cannot control midfield with him, which is probably the most important area of the pitch, is that he has the absolute worst quality in a midfielder - he is deathly afraid of receiving a pass. He legitimately goes behind the opposition in order not to receive the ball. He isn't useful even as a sub.

He’s never been great on the ball but playing pass and hide like he did today was highly detrimental. He’s capable of receiving the ball and at the very least just recycling possession. Nobody is asking him to be Pirlo just show for the fecking ball and keep it moving.
This has been one of his biggest issues - he hides from the ball. Not sure if it's deliberate or he is just really poor with his positioning/moving into spaces but he is not the midfielder who can take the ball from our defense and then cycle it forward. With that big a flaw, he can never be a midfielder for us.

It's very worrying that we'll be relying on him for 3 crucial PL games. We might need to play 3 on midfield and move bruno to the right to cover for his weaknesses

While I agree with your take on squad player here, but isn't everyone in this thread a bit overreacting about McTominay performance. McTominay has fitness issue but he's rushed into the team because we don't really have another no6. McTominay started this game based on merit of his Southampton performance. Other alternative doesn't even have that kind of performance in no6.

I have issue with other position keep getting minute, under performing when there is alternative (tactic). No6 back up needs upgraded, McTominay needs to be sold is pretty much settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.