Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine 5 of Norways midfielders and attackers play for...United, Arsenal, City X2 and Atl.Madrid....

I wasn't sure about him initially (not as a huge talent, but as someone who's a good fit for our midfield), but recently I've changed my mind on Adam Wharton. He would be the one player who I'd choose if I could choose one big talent I wouldn't want us to miss out on.

That has happened too many times even during Ferguson's last few seasons, and especially in the last few years. Rice would've been an almost perfect, long term solution, for example.
Berge for not that much this season and Wharton next would be a pretty good solution, I think. Berge would bring something we need this season while serving as a serviceable back-up should we go for Wharton next season.

Muppetiers is the worst source in the world lads, my fecal matter has predicted transfers more correctly.

I do hope we sign him though !

People losing their mind over signing this guy. I’m sure some of them similarly getting upset that we don’t sign Wharton from championship team.

Playing at Burnley doesn’t define Berge as a player…just that as a collective they weren’t good enough.

Let’s wait and see how he fares before throwing him on the ‘deadwood’ pile

Assuming he joins of course.

Is this the midfield signing that’s most likely now? Can’t keep up. Was Fofana the other day.

You're not really taking into context last season. When we had the majority of the first team available and a normal injury rate we finished 3rd and won a cup. Our first 11 when fit is, in my opinion able to get us into the champions league spots and is able to beat any team. As evidenced by results. What we don't have is a first 11 that I think can challenge for a title over a season and we don't have a squad that can handle big injuries in certain positions. For me its important we resolve the later. What made us finish 8th was not our first 11. It was the poor state of the overall squad who had to fill in for the likes of Shaw, Martinez, Varane, Mount, as well as being forced to run the likes of Rasmus, Mainoo, Bruno, Garnacho into the ground. Zirkzee and Yoro stengthen the squad. If we get in De Ligt and Mazraoui that further strengthens/improves the defence. A CM/DM signing who can perform better than Amrabat did or challenge Casemiro would also be a good signing that raises the overall base of the team.

Therefore, getting in real quality to improve our first 11 surely is the priority, no? If you're saying that our first 11 (when fit) could seriously challenge but the issue of fitness is holding us back, surely strengthening that area is the thing to do. If it's likely that we're going to need this player for a considerable amount of the season, then they by default become part of our best available 11.

I strongly disagree with your assessment of the team being good enough to get into the champions league spots or seriously challenge. We were overrun in the vast majority of games and had to get bailed out by special moments of magic on various occasions. The performances were shocking and there was a strong argument for ETH not taking us forward into this season.

I get that we have limited funds right now, but we'll just end up with someone else that is impossible move on in a year or two if we start bringing guys like this in.

We'd be better just doing nothing if this is where we're at.

After watching some YouTube clips I’ve changed my mind on him and think he might be exactly what we need. Reminds me of a younger Matic in a way. He definitely could transform our midfield play.

The only other club that seems to have enquired about him is Fenerbache.

I get that we have limited funds right now, but we'll just end up with someone else that is impossible move on in a year or two if we start bringing guys like this in.

We'd be better just doing nothing if this is where we're at.
I'd rather put the money on a two year contract for Rabiot if we are looking at temporary solutions.

"Nuances" like rightly calling out the comparison as complete bollocks? Wijnaldum had captained PSV to an Eredivisie title, started in a World Cup semi-final and been named Dutch Footballer of the Year before he joined Newcastle. Yet apparently he wasn't any more an "established" player than Sander fecking Berge.

Some people have completely lost their heads in here.

Way to jump in the discussion. You completely missed the point. And tone it down will you.

Imagine 5 of Norways midfielders and attackers play for...United, Arsenal, City X2 and Atl.Madrid....

How did you not qualify for a 24 team Euros?

Bit like old times when Norway had a big contingent in England + Carew and Bergdolmo at famous clubs in Europe. Pretty sure I remember the squad meeting in England for training once because it was easier for everyone, something like that anyway.

Look guys, if he played for Real Madrid and was a better player, you'd all want him.

Berge vs Casemiro

Screenshot-2024-08-08-204445.png
Casemiro's worst ever season in football and he's still clear. Again what the feck are we doing.

I’d take a punt, won’t cost a fortune, his stats are decent and with better coaches and players around him his game might go up another 3 levels, anybody but Rabiot, Rabiot would be the definition of insanity, high wages, approaching 30 Cassimiro all over again

People losing their mind over signing this guy. I’m sure some of them similarly getting upset that we don’t sign Wharton from championship team.

Playing at Burnley doesn’t define Berge as a player…just that as a collective they weren’t good enough.

Let’s wait and see how he fares before throwing him on the ‘deadwood’ pile

Assuming he joins of course.
The same was posted on Arsenal forum.

Not.

Therefore, getting in real quality to improve our first 11 surely is the priority, no? If you're saying that our first 11 (when fit) could seriously challenge but the issue of fitness is holding us back, surely strengthening that area is the thing to do. If it's likely that we're going to need this player for a considerable amount of the season, then they by default become part of our best available 11.

I strongly disagree with your assessment of the team being good enough to get into the champions league spots or seriously challenge. We were overrun in the vast majority of games and had to get bailed out by special moments of magic on various occasions. The performances were shocking and there was a strong argument for ETH not taking us forward into this season.

We clearly don't have the funds for all our signings to be first 11 players. We will have to settle for a player that improves the squad somewhere because what killed us last season wasn't the first 11 players, it was having to play the likes of Mctominay, Lindelof, Evans, Kambwala etc for large parts of the season. If a Berge can rotate with Casmeiro better than Amrabat did, then whilst its not the perfect signing it raises the level of the squad and when we get rid of casemiro we have a good squad player who can be a backup to a Wharton perhaps for example. Its a game of choosing where we should spend money on a guaranteed first 11 player and where we can make do with a squad player when we have lomited funds and players we are struggling to move on. Whilst I would like to upgrade Casemiro, I would be okay with getting in someone who can rotate with him. Tbh none of the midfielders we've been seriously linked to like Ugarte are guaranteed 1st 11.

And again, I never said the first 11 can challenge for a title, however, they clearly can get into the champions league spots as they've already done it. If last season we had the majority of the first 11 available for most of the season, or a normal season's worth of availability, then your point would be valid. But as it stands, when Ten Hag has had his players available to him with a normal injury rate ala the first season he qualified for champions league, when he had the injury crisis he didn't.

Casemiro's worst ever season in football and he's still clear. Again what the feck are we doing.

And what these stats also tell us is that, whatever passing numbers it looks like Berge has, are rendered mute by the fact he doesnt make any passes. 46 attempts per game. For a holding midfielder. And less than 60 touches per game.

How the hell is he expected to cope with Ten Hag's Chaosball? He's basically been playing a different sport at Burnley.

After watching some YouTube clips I’ve changed my mind on him and think he might be exactly what we need. Reminds me of a younger Matic in a way. He definitely could transform our midfield play.
Here's a bizarre stat from last season.

Top 5 midfielders with highest long ball pass accuracy (over 100 attempts)

1. Rodri 340/401 - 84.8%
2. Berge 125/154 - 81.2%
3. Caiceido 124/162 - 76.5%
4. Amadu Onana 85/115 - 73.9%
5. Enzo Fernandez 196/273 - 71.8%

Look guys, if he played for Real Madrid and was a better player, you'd all want him.
This is not true, I am extremely suspicious of any former Real Madrid players these days.

I have though decided we should sign this guy, though that may be mainly because I feel it's the most annoying opinion available to me.
Here's a bizarre stat from last season.

Top 5 midfielders with highest long ball pass accuracy (over 100 attempts)

1. Rodri 340/401 - 84.8%
2. Berge 125/154 - 81.2%
3. Caiceido 124/162 - 76.5%
4. Amadu Onana 85/115 - 73.9%
5. Enzo Fernandez 196/273 - 71.8%
Can see it now, him pinging balls over the top for Rashford and Garnacho.

Berge for not that much this season and Wharton next would be a pretty good solution, I think. Berge would bring something we need this season while serving as a serviceable back-up should we go for Wharton next season.

I agree.

Does anyone here genuinely think that Berge is a better signing for our midfield that Onana? (whom was obtainable a month ago for 50m)

Absolutely not. Onana would've probably been my number 1 pick for the midfield, even for 50-60 million. With that said, though, I do think Berge is a better fit for us than most of the other players we've been linked to. Would be much cheaper than most of those players too.

I'd rather put the money on a two year contract for Rabiot if we are looking at temporary solutions.

I doubt Rabiot would be brought in for the same role as Berge. They could play together, whereas Rabiot and Mainoo doesn't seem like a good midfield combination for me. Rabiot should be someone that rotates with Mainoo and possibly Mount.

We need to sign 3-4 midfielders to set our squad out, they can’t all cost huge sums and we can’t sign them all this summer. From what I’ve seen of Berge he’s decent and would be a capable squad player. I’d fee and wages are reasonable so it’s possible to actually sell him if want to in couple of seasons then I can see the logic.

I do question if there aren’t similar up and coming players who could be bought for similar fees, we have chance to develop players now as we are going to be rebuilding. Maybe that needs the stucyire to be properly sorted/up and running and will happen more often in future but if Berge is a bridge to Wharton or someone like that next season then it might be a step in right direction.

He'd be a complimentary addition if we already had a highly functioning midfield. Alas, we do not.

Screenshot-2024-08-08-225510.png

Can anyone explain why we didnt just bring Barkley in? Defensive stats near as no different to Berge's but he's decent with the ball. £5m for Barkley while we're getting quoted £25m+ for Berge. Caught napping again.

Screenshot-2024-08-08-225510.png

Can anyone explain why we didnt just bring Barkley in? Defensive stats near as no different to Berge's but he's decent with the ball. Caught napping again. £5m for Barkley while we're getting quoted £25m+ for Berge.
Christ almighty! fecking Barkley??? I thought Berge was bad enough and Barkley isn’t even a defensive mid.

Do posters here think Amadou Onana is better than him? If so, better in what aspects?

Can someone please make a comparison with Amadou Onana? I’m curious to see that one. Both played for crap teams in the same position.

I doubt Rabiot would be brought in for the same role as Berge. They could play together, whereas Rabiot and Mainoo doesn't seem like a good midfield combination for me. Rabiot should be someone that rotates with Mainoo and possibly Mount.
You think he's that defensive? He seems to go forward alot, which would leave us exposed if played as a lone DM

Does anyone here genuinely think that Berge is a better signing for our midfield that Onana? (whom was obtainable a month ago for 50m)
TBH I think Onana is very over rated, not worth the £50m, the guy has massive shortcomings, yes some great strengths but as a midfielder being well rounded is important, anyway read your question for your answer! Nowhere as yet have I seen:
  • The price Burnley want for Berge
  • That Anyone with our club think Berge is the final solution to our midfield
  • That we have the funds to pay £50m
Actually it is a lot more plausible to assume that we simply do not have funds available to pay £50m for another player right now, maybe we would if we are able to make the much touted sales of some other players, but if that doesn't happen, we have tried to identify the best option we can for the money available to us right now.

Lets face it nobody know as yet has any idea about why we are planning Berge, if indeed we are, the plan may still be to sign De Ligt, Mazraoui, and Ugarte (or similar), and sign Berge as well.

If ETH and the new crew are signing Berge believing him to be the midfield missing link, well then I am very sceptical about their judgment, but who knows maybe he could be, however given what we do know about the new management, that they are trying to strategise over a longer period than just one or 2 windows, that they are planning a squad, not just a 1st 11, it is simply more likely that Berge is being recruited as a player who improves the squad, we are certainly lacking midfield options right now, the options out their for a midfielder for less than £20m are somewhat limited, is it better to sign Rabiot on a big sign on fee and wages just because he is more hollywood than Berge... what then in 12 months time, we have Rabiot on the bench on high wages and the cycle of stupid decisions continues.

If we are comparing Berge, then compare him to what is available for a similar price, there are lots of midfielders who would potentially be better than him for £50m+ so what, unless we are paying £50m for Berge it is irrelevant

Well we are a club owned by the Glazers not Ineos
Indeed. The Glazers may have decided they are a bit shit at the actual football so Ineos can make the football decisions, but only within the budget the Glazers are willing to sign off. Ineos will never set that budget until they have majority ownership, which they don't.

Last edited:
Do posters here think Amadou Onana is better than him? If so, better in what aspects?
Physically Onana is streets ahead of Berge. I think Onana a better progressive passer too, probably not as secure in possession though.

You think he's that defensive? He seems to go forward alot, which would leave us exposed if played as a lone DM

I think he would play in a double pivot with Mainoo, as the deeper player of the two, but not as a lone DM. We've also basically been only linked with double-pivot midfielders, and that's how we played in pre-season too.

Last edited:
I do not get the obsession for comparing Onana, Berge is likely to be less than £20m, heck could be a lot less, Onana was £50m , why not compare with Neves for about the same price as Onana? or umpteen other players who would cost 2, 3 or more times more than Berge

Status
Not open for further replies.