Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s always a great sign when people on the Caf don’t rate the player :drool:

Can you even think of a single example of a signing that there was negativity about turning out good?

Because I can only think of the other sort. AWB, Maguire, Antony, Mount etc.

Not particularly excited by this one in fact id rather we just got Amrabat at half the price and I don’t rate him that highly either.

People don't want to hear this, but what's likely happening is that we're potentially planning to hold on the starting DM role due to finding it difficult to sell Casemiro. As a result, we are surveying good squad and rotation options that can help us in regard to depth, with the idea to regularly have a constant rotation of Mainoo, Casemiro and the new signing. Similar to how Butt/Scholes or Fletcher/Anderson/Giggs used to rotate.

The idea is probably that in the short term, Casemiro actually still has good playing ability, but cannot be asked to cover as many games and minutes as we have regularly asked of him, which is leading to the appearance of decline. Our approach in the last 2 seasons, would have seen Modric and Kroos looking well and truly past it. So this would protect Casemiro for the time being, with additional support coming from Collyer. Before we assess again and make a decision to find Mainoo's partner, whether that's from within the club or outside of it.

How was Wijnaldum a clearly established player when his first season in the prem saw him getting relegated with Newcastle?
Maybe because he was PSV’s captain who led them to an Eredivisie title and had many caps for The Netherlands including being part of the Dutch team that finished 3rd in the World Cup 2014.

It was hugely surprising at the time that he went to Newcastle. Berge has no such CV.

We are I the era of ffp where blowing money on someone who isn't good enough as some kind of stop gap will still hurt you in 2-3 years time.

This is what loan signings were invented for. Temporary solutions when you can't get exactly what you want and don't have money to waste on in-betweens

Aren't we currently in a pickle because we keep paying loads of money for sub standard players and then not being able to move them on? What do you think would be the most likely outcome of this signing?

What you're describing is exactly the reason we would be going for Berge this summer, it's funny how you don't realize that.

-Compared to most other options, he's much cheaper
-Arguably a better fit than the more expensive options, like Ugarte, in fact I'd be quite confident in saying that he's an upgrade on him
-Temporary "solution" that allows us to later get exactly who we want, and then Berge is sold, maybe even for a profit, or becomes a good squad player for us. All he has to do for either of these to happen is just be half-decent for United.

It's easier to offload a 20m player on 70k/week when it's time for them to leave, than to offload a 50 million player on 150k/week, who also wouldn't be completely suitable for us (and like I said, I'd argue Berge is a better fit than most of the expensive options anyway)

You're just making the assumption that Berge is a vastly inferior player to the other, fancier names we've been linked to, like Ugarte/Zubimendi/Fofana.

The stuff about "there's no such thing as raising the floor" is just not true, either.

Also, we literally lost out on both Kane and Rice because we signed Casemiro, when we could've just signed someone decent there for 20-30m on a fraction of the 350k/week wages as well.

What if we get Ugarte, he's average for us, but it means we can't get Adam Wharton next summer? Or Branthwaite? Would be the Casemiro mistake all over again, but of course fans don't realize the mistake when we make it, but are very quick to criticize the club 2 years later, in hindsight.

Last edited:
How are people trying to dress this up as not a terrible idea? :lol:

No matter who we're linked with people will eventually twist themselves in knots to pretend that it's actually a great idea. The cope never ends. (I'm also on the Berge cope train due to my fetish for tall, athletic players)

We could be linked with Jonjo Shelvey and it would play out like:

Monday: This isn't happening :lol:

Tuesday: Can't believe we're actually interested in him. He's shit and he's been injured for 3 years.

Wednesday: I guess he was actually good for Newcastle at times... but that was nearly a decade ago

Thursday: He does still have a great switch of play on him. Nice shiny head too

Friday: Here's a YouTube video from his loan at Rizespor: You Won't Believe How Good Jonjo Shelvey Is In 2024 - Amazing Skills, Goals, Passes & Tackles | Technical Elegance | HD

Saturday: This scatter chart shows Jonjo Shelvey is actually still elite. Look at all the green on FBRef. Moneyball?

Sunday: If we don't sign Jonjo Shelvey we're absolutely fecked

There is no such thing as improving the floor. If you aim to make yourself better at not being good enough then guess what happens?

If we spend say £30m on him, or even half that. This is money we then can't use to fund other transfers. We already know we can't sign players we want because we can't raise funds/sell thr ones we have. So to suggest this wouldn't severely impact that is simply false.

We don't have to pretend every crazy thing the club does is a good idea just because it's a new set up, and again, not one person in this thread this time last week would be arguing that signing a midfielder from Burnley who doesn't stand out in their team, was in any way not a bad idea.
Im sorry I don't buy into this idea. We literally have no competent 6. Berge may not be optimal but on paper he'd be a good foil for Mainoo and Bruno.

You consider our options it's not very broad. If it's Berge and one other then the value is strong. For example Berge plus Ederson for a combined fee that's similar to one Ugarte is much better business.

I do understand your concern with solely Berge.

Maybe because he was PSV’s captain who led them to an Eredivisie title and had many caps for The Netherlands including being part of the Dutch team that finished 3rd in the World Cup 2014.

It was hugely surprising at the time that he went to Newcastle. Berge has no such CV.

You are arguing in bad faith here. You wanted examples, then when you got them you instantly moved goalposts and added nuances.

No matter who we're linked with people will eventually twist themselves in knots to pretend that it's actually a great idea. The cope never ends. (I'm also on the Berge cope train due to my fetish for tall, athletic players)

Tuesday: Can't believe we're actually interested in him. He's shit and he's been injured for 3 years.

Wednesday: I guess he was actually good for Newcastle at times... but that was nearly a decade ago

Friday: Here's a YouTube video from his loan at Rizespor: You Won't Believe How Good Jonjo Shelvey Is In 2024 - Amazing Skills, Goals, Passes & Tackles | Technical Elegance | HD

Saturday: This scatter chart shows Jonjo Shelvey is actually still elite. Look at all the green on FBRef. Moneyball?

:lol:

This is very true. We could be linked to Andy Carroll and some on here would start making a case for him. Especially a couple of jokers who are constantly surprised that others don't have this great vision that they possess.

I can't take us seriously anymore.

How are people trying to dress this up as not a terrible idea? :lol:

We'd be better off suffering and keeping the money for when someone good enough becomes available rather than spending it on someone who might be ok in the championship and leaving ourselves unable to then sign anyone else.

Absloutely batsh*t crazy that its even being thought about.

Sometimes especially in todays football its about finding the right player for the right system rather than always looking for the most standout individuals (in fact you could accuse us of doing precisely that for a number of seasons with mediocre results Sancho ect) .

It looks in this case purely like we've identified a string of attributes/abilities we need in the team, then we've used statistical data to find an available or list of available players who fit the metrics we're looking for e.g. positioning, speed, strength in duels, direct ball playing abilty and more and it would seem if you look at Berge from a statistical perspective he ticks all the right boxes.

Constructing a good squad is sometimes about identifying what's needed attribute and abilty wise and finding the right fit and if you focus solely on what United lack in terms of current cm personel this transfer makes good sense.

As I said you can't always galactico your way to sucess, increasing in the modern game it's about building a playing style/identity/game model and finding players who fit in with that style/identity, that looks like what we're trying to do here and in a way that could prove to be a very shrewd move going by statistics ( I also think he passes the eye test pretty well as he looks a good footballer) .

You look at the squad liverpool had assembled under Kloop and you will find multiple instances of this, with Endo probably being the latest example of a signing who at 30 years old probably left most scratching their heads when he was linked with Liverpool, but has come in and whilst not exactly pulling up trees has still fitting into the squad well and played his role in a team with a set identity.

Sometimes it's just about identifying a square hole in a system and getting a square object to fill it.

Just ignoring the opinion of Burnley fans and Norweigans? Who are not opposition fans, they're the fans of the teams he plays for. And I'm yet to see a single one who rates him as a top four Prem calibre player.

The only people who seem to rate him in this thread have never seen him play beyond youtube and twitter montages.

I didn't say ignore their opinions, I said it would be unfair on him to judge him based on their opinions. It’s important to base our evaluations of players on our own team's needs and performance rather than solely relying on external opinions. Opposition fans might rate McTominay highly too, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s the right fit for our squad. They don’t watch us week in and week out to fully understand the strengths and weaknesses of our midfield options.

Moreover, judging a player based on how others perceive them can be misleading. For instance, how many fans initially rated Jordan Henderson as a Premier League or Champions League-winning midfielder, or Nathan Ake as a top-tier defender? There is nuance in assessing a player's value beyond their past affiliations or public perception.

Rather than outright dismissing a player because they’ve played for relegated teams or because other fans might not rate them highly, it’s more constructive to evaluate them based on how they would fit into our system and address our specific needs.

You are arguing in bad faith here. You wanted examples, then when you got them you instantly moved goalposts and added nuances.
"Nuances" like rightly calling out the comparison as complete bollocks? Wijnaldum had captained PSV to an Eredivisie title, started in a World Cup semi-final and been named Dutch Footballer of the Year before he joined Newcastle. Yet apparently he wasn't any more an "established" player than Sander fecking Berge.

Some people have completely lost their heads in here.

He’s a striker, he’s supposed to score goals that’s his job and he was terrible at it. Bruno and Rashford didn’t have good seasons because of Weghorst, they had good seasons because they’re good players. Weghorst was literally just there as a body on the pitch because we didn’t have anyone else.
Plenty of strikers in recent years have been there not to score goals but to facilitate players around them. Giroud, Mandzukic come to mind. They may not have had good seasons just because of Weghorst but he definitely helped facilitate. He made a lot of runs that stretched the defence for Rashford to come in and exploit.

Anyway the point is many times I've seen average players play pivotal roles in a great team because they fit what the team needs. You can have better players in the same role and they would be less effective. I think this applies to Berge, from what I have seen.

:lol:

This is very true. We could be linked to Andy Carroll and some on here would start making a case for him. Especially a couple of jokers who are constantly surprised that others don't have this great vision that they possess.
Go on then, tell us exactly why you don't rate Berge? You apparently seem to rate Zubimendi in his thread and judging from the stats there is not a lot in between them. So what makes Berge so terrible and Zubimendi so great? Assuming you have watched them both loads ofcourse.

Sometimes especially in todays football its about finding the right player for the right system rather than always looking for the most standout individuals (in fact you could accuse us of doing precisely that for a number of seasons with mediocre results Sancho ect) .

It looks in this case purely like we've identified a string of attributes/abilities we need in the team, then we've used statistical data to find an available or list of available players who fit the metrics we're looking for e.g. positioning, speed, strength in duels, direct ball playing abilty and more and it would seem if you look at Berge from a statistical perspective he ticks all the right boxes.

Constructing a good squad is sometimes about identifying what's needed attribute and abilty wise and finding the right fit and if you focus solely on what United lack in terms of current cm personel this transfer makes good sense.

As I said you can't always galactico your way to sucess, increasing in the modern game it's about building a playing style/identity/game model and finding players who fit in with that style/identity, that looks like what we're trying to do here and in a way that could prove to be a very shrewd move going by statistics ( I also think he passes the eye test pretty well as he looks a good footballer) .

You look at the squad liverpool had assembled under Kloop and you will find multiple instances of this, with Endo probably being the latest example of a signing who at 30 years old probably left most scratching their heads when he was linked with Liverpool, but has come in and whilst not exactly pulling up trees has still fitting into the squad well and played his role in a team with a set identity.

Sometimes it's just about identifying a square hole in a system and getting a square object to fill it.
Perfect example Jorginho who everyone thought was finished, becomes an important player in their team. Everyone scoffed at Havertz transfer and now he's important to the team. Not because they drastically improved as players, but because they suited the role that was needed in the team.

I get that these two in particular are greater quality than Berge, but it's about the principle behind it. Akanji is another example - wasn't anything special at Dortmund got let go for £15m - but he had the right physical and technical attributes and he fit the system - so he looked much better.

People seem to forget that the difference between majority of Top 5 league level players is not 20/30% but 2/3%. That 3% can be made up when they fit the role/system.

Go on then, tell us exactly why you don't rate Berge? You apparently seem to rate Zubimendi in his thread and judging from the stats there is not a lot in between them. So what makes Berge so terrible and Zubimendi so great? Assuming you have watched them both loads ofcourse.
First you go on and give me your detailed scouting report on Berge. Also, tell me how many times have you mentioned him as an option for us in the 4.5 seasons he has been in English football and how many times in the various midfield threads this summer window.

Im sorry I don't buy into this idea. We literally have no competent 6. Berge may not be optimal but on paper he'd be a good foil for Mainoo and Bruno.

You consider our options it's not very broad. If it's Berge and one other then the value is strong. For example Berge plus Ederson for a combined fee that's similar to one Ugarte is much better business.

I do understand your concern with solely Berge.
Another aspect that we overlook is that we may have seen that we aren't in a position to spend big money on a player because our recruitment is not yet up and running to the standard we would like so we are spending on what we think are relatively sure bets (Yoro), players with a potentially big upside (Zirkee) and tried to pick up useful bargains from other top teams who, as we found out, want to fleece us.

In this situation, it's better to spend on a journey man who will do a job for a couple of seasons (most likely one) whilst alternating with Casemiro and Collyer. In this period a few questions will be answered; does Collyer have it? Is Casemiro's decline terminal? Has the punt on Berge worked?

During that period the Football Structure is building up it's own scouting database, scouts are being recruited and players are getting assessed properly. Come summer of 25, we are ready to move in on a big signing for the DM. So spending 25m to get a player who serves as a transitional player at worst but who has the tools to make the role his, if we are extremely lucky, makes sense.

Another aspect that we overlook is that we may have seen that we aren't in a position to spend big money on a player because our recruitment is not yet up and running to the standard we would like so we are spending on what we thing are relatively sure bets (Yoro), players with a potentially big upside (Zirkee) and tried to pick up useful bargains from other top teams who, as we found out, want to fleece us.

In this situation, it's better to spend on a journey man who will do a job for a couple of seasons (most likely one) whilst alternating with Casemiro and Collyer. In this period a few questions will be answered; does Collyer have it? Is Casemiro's decline terminal? Has the punt on Berge worked?

During that period the Football Structure is building up it's own scouting database, should couts are being recruited and players are getting assessed properly. Come summer of 25, we are ready to move in on a big signing for the DM. So spending 25m to get a player who serves as a transitional player at worst but who has the tools to make the role his, makes sense.
A very good point. I'm certain Ashworth will have his little birds, for lack of a better term, flown all across the globe. But this takes time, he joined on 1st July. I'm fine with waiting. He's the only underwhelming name in an intake of 4-5.

Are Sander Berge and fofana similar players or different? From little I know of them fofana is more box to box and Berge is more of a holding midfielder. If that's the case, could Utd sign both of they were cheap enough? Or would it be one of the other?

Perfect example Jorginho who everyone thought was finished, becomes an important player in their team. Everyone scoffed at Havertz transfer and now he's important to the team. Not because they drastically improved as players, but because they suited the role that was needed in the team.

I get that these two in particular are greater quality than Berge, but it's about the principle behind it. Akanji is another example - wasn't anything special at Dortmund got let go for £15m - but he had the right physical and technical attributes and he fit the system - so he looked much better.

People seem to forget that the difference between majority of Top 5 league level players is not 20/30% but 2/3%. That 3% can be made up when they fit the role/system.
Agreed, and all better examples than the one I used. If a coach has an identity in the modern game, he normally just needs good options capable of fitting in with that identity.

@BAMSOLA & @saik, just stop with the common sense. Logical sensible thinking? That's a no no.
;)

I do not know about Zubemendi, I have not watched him alot (except for the euros where I was really impressed by him), but I have seen very much of Berge and he is not very good, he is ok for a team between 8-15 in the table, his passing is okay, but most of it sideways or backwards, very slow and not uncommon to let his CB's exposed in defensive positions in counter attacks, his positioning is good while he tries to be available for his teammates when beating the press but his positioning in defensive setups is not that good which makes him not a good asset to intercept balls. Overall he is ok for teams like Everton and CP but not Manchester united.

A very good point. I'm certain Ashworth will have his little birds, for lack of a better term, flown all across the globe. But this takes time, he joined on 1st July. I'm fine with waiting. He's the only underwhelming name in an intake of 4-5.
This is key, it's risky to authorise big moves that will have implications over the next three or more seasons, financially and on the pitch, within one month of getting the job. Players like Berge won't have trouble attracting buyers if we ensure that he earns below 80k/week. He becomes another body to count on, he was highly rated a few years back and a challenge as big as this one could spur him.

At worst he buys us time, it could be time to buy another one next season or to nurture one of our young DMs (Collyer or Gore) and it's not as big a risk as handing out Rabiot a 5 year, 200k/wk contract with maybe 10m signing on bonus. If he is overwhelmed by the task we can loan him out until he is sold but we won't be worse off. If we can negotiate a 20m plus add ons fee and wages of circa 70k he won't be difficult to shift. If he does decently Ashworth and Co look like rainmakers.

I do not know about Zubemendi, I have not watched him alot (except for the euros where I was really impressed by him), but I have seen very much of Berge and he is not very good, he is ok for a team between 8-15 in the table, his passing is okay, but most of it sideways or backwards, very slow and not uncommon to let his CB's exposed in defensive positions in counter attacks, his positioning is good while he tries to be available for his teammates when beating the press but his positioning in defensive setups is not that good which makes him not a good asset to intercept balls. Overall he is ok for teams like Everton and CP but not Manchester united.
Palace played better football than we did last season so let's not go there.

This is key, it's risky to authorise big moves that will have implications over the next three or more seasons, financially and on the pitch, within one month of getting the job. Players like Berge won't have trouble attracting buyers if we ensure that he earns below 80k/week. He becomes another body to count on, he was highly rated a few years back and a challenge as big as this one could spur him.

At worst he buys us time, it could be time to buy another one next season or to nurture one of our young DMs (Collyer or Gore) and it's not as big a risk as handing out Rabiot a 5 year, 200k/wk contract with maybe 10m signing on bonus. If he is overwhelmed by the task we can loan him out until he is sold but we won't be worse off. If we can negotiate a 20m plus add ons fee and wages of circa 70k he won't be difficult to shift. If he does decently Ashworth and Co look like rainmakers.
Aye he's also 26. If he doesn't work out we sell in 1-2 years.

Are you talking about the instances where he receives under pressure from his keeper, or defenders, and he passes it backwards or sideways? Because that's what his job is in those situations. And he's actually very impressive at receiving under pressure and retaining possession. He's also good at passing forward when the opportunity presents itself, as well as carrying the ball forward. You might be wrongly expecting things from him that he isn't supposed to do.

"Nuances" like rightly calling out the comparison as complete bollocks? Wijnaldum had captained PSV to an Eredivisie title, started in a World Cup semi-final and been named Dutch Footballer of the Year before he joined Newcastle. Yet apparently he wasn't any more an "established" player than Sander fecking Berge.

Some people have completely lost their heads in here.
So given his prolific form in Germany and his international exploits with the Netherlands, Weghorst must’ve been a good pickup for us, going by your metrics…

First you go on and give me your detailed scouting report on Berge. Also, tell me how many times have you mentioned him as an option for us in the 4.5 seasons he has been in English football and how many times in the various midfield threads this summer window.
So you actually have no point then. I have acknowledged below that I haven't watched both much but based on stats there isn't much in between them. But you apparently rate Zubimendi and don't rate Berge so can you explain how these stats would be misleading that they appear similar? Keep in mind Berge played for a much less dominant team which makes it a bit more harder for him. Also, you second point is rubbish. There could be lot of reasons for him to not be an option as would be the case for a lot of other players. Zubimendi isn't a kid either, he's 25. Why wasn't he on any clubs radar until now?

So anyone here actually watched him play for Real Sociedad last year or is everyone losing their shit because:

1. He's Spanish
  2. Had a good 45mins playing for a dominant Spain team against an England team who where ultra defensive?

I haven't watched him play or Berge either but looking at the stats there doesn't appear to be an awful lot between them. So can anyone who watched Zubimendi play extensively explain how he is better and worth €60m and if any of the stats are misleading?

FBref Comparison(fbref actually suggested Berge as one of the players who is similar to Zubimendi so I didn't even have to go out of my way to compare them) : https://fbref.com/tiny/gPDre

Passing​

TotalShortMediumLongExpected
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sCmpAttCmp%TotDistPrgDistCmpAttCmp%CmpAttCmp%CmpAttCmp%AstxAGxAA-xAGKP1/3PPACrsPAPrgP
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.51321154285.722165626960767789.760767789.78612668.311.52.0-0.516136151152
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.41376156288.124429516856863789.265871192.512515481.222.41.6-0.429129161164

Pass Types​

Pass TypesCorner KicksOutcomes
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sAttLiveDeadFKTBSwCrsTICKInOutStrCmpOffBlocks
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.5154214736259447200001321713
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.415621529312171012100001376214

Goal and Shot Creation​

SCASCA TypesGCAGCA Types
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sSCASCA90PassLivePassDeadTOShFldDefGCAGCA90PassLivePassDeadTOShFldDef
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.5551.87470340140.14400000
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.4672.01630301080.24701000

Defensive Actions​

TacklesChallengesBlocks
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sTklTklWDef 3rdMid 3rdAtt 3rdTklAttTkl%LostBlocksShPassIntTkl+IntClrErr
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.5492718292234254.819339243786540
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.4764635365345858.6244920292399602

Possession​

TouchesTake-OnsCarriesReceiving
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sTouchesDef PenDef 3rdMid 3rdAtt 3rdAtt PenLiveAttSuccSucc%TkldTkld%CarriesTotDistPrgDistPrgC1/3CPAMisDisRecPrgR
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.51793913971144267321793181266.7527.894253052671344152616118527
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.41887133494997414411887412048.81639.0107664193091645792323123329

He's a decent passer too, but yeah that is a frightening comparison if anyone actually thinks they are alike and vastly underestimates what Rodri does. Not only has he filled the hard working and exceptional positioning role left by Fernandinho to keep City's midfield and defence from falling apart, but now he's getting forward and scoring goals too - 8 goals and 9 assists last season

I'm for signing Berger but this is fecking brilliant

Are you talking about the instances where he receives under pressure from his keeper and he passes it backwards or sideways? Because that's what his job is in those situations. He's good at passing forward when the opportunity presents itself, as well as carrying the ball forward. You might be wrongly expecting things from him that he isn't supposed to do.

Not only that situation, but also where he should pass forward, unfortunately I do not have a very accurate stat to compare because it is also dependable on the other players of the team to give passing options, but roughly he averages only 10 passes per 90 minutes forward, that is a very small number, compared to Rice 16 per 90 min and compared to Casemiro 24 per 90 minutes.

Just ignoring the opinion of Burnley fans and Norweigans? Who are not opposition fans, they're the fans of the teams he plays for. And I'm yet to see a single one who rates him as a top four Prem calibre player.

The only people who seem to rate him in this thread have never seen him play beyond youtube and twitter montages.
Well I've seen him play for both Burnley and Sheff Utd and I think he's a good player. Was easily the best player in both teams. Let's not pretend that most of the people against the signing have seen him play. They see he played for 2 relegated teams and maybe watched Goldbridge's rant and assume he must be crap.

He's not going to be world class but he'd suit what we need in midfield. The only dm that would have actually improved the first xi significantly was Neves imo. All the rest are just squad rotation options. I'd prefer this to spending the crazy amounts being suggested for Ugarte when we don't even have the funds to finance it.

This would be less of a concern than many other players we've been linked with imo. How we haven't invested in a starting lb is mind boggling

He actually has a decent passing completion % while attempting decent number of passes. And that's while playing for Burnley. Playing with good players around him should improve those numbers one would hope. I don't mind his sideways passes if it helps us retain possession a bit more while letting the attackers do their work. My point is he appears to be better at the midfield things that help a team retain possession than the likes of McT and Casemiro. So, in that case I don't mind him here as a squad player.

Not only that situation, but also where he should pass forward, unfortunately I do not have a very accurate stat to compare because it is also dependable on the other players of the team to give passing options, but roughly he averages only 10 passes per 90 minutes forward, that is a very small number, compared to Rice 16 per 90 min and compared to Casemiro 24 per 90 minutes.

Well, Rice isn't known for his passing, and a lot of people wrongly expect him to be world class at is as well, but it's not his job either. Still, 16/90 at Arsenal doesn't seem that impressive compared to 10/90 at Burnley, does it? Berge could probably reach Rice's number at United, and recycling possession is an important thing I think Berge could probably help us with, compared to Casemiro or McTominay.

I have a feeling we are looking at Adam Wharton as our long-term target, and see no point in splashing 50m on a midfielder we don't truly want, when alternatives for half that, like Berge, are able to do a decent job too, until the long-term target is obtained, be that Wharton or someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.