Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're not complaining about how the club are behaving, when things are going as badly as they have been, then you're simply embracing mediocrity and cheering on our decay.

I mean forget how substandard he is for a minute. We've just had a season ravaged by injuries and Berge has a long history of hamstring problems. Where is the learning.

I don't know if you've noticed, but we've had new owners for around 8 months now, and to call what they've shown so far mediocrity might be the dumbest thing I've read today and that's impressive. Maybe if your attention span would extend to over 1-2 weeks, you wouldn't be crying about anything and everything on here, as well as shit and underrate every player we have and everything that's going on with the club currently.

I'm convinced a big chunk of users on here just use this forum as a platform to whine and let out their frustrations, without using their brain for a single second.

Eh... Berge has the best retention statistics of any no.6 in all of Europe's Top Five Leagues.

THE BEST.

He is literally number one in Europe at doing the job we are looking to fulfil.

We aren't looking for a flair playmaker like Luca Modric. Or a a swift No.8 like Pirlo. Or a an adaptable midfielder like Paul Scholes. We are looking for a player with a very specific set of attributes. "Win the ball back. Recycle it." There is nobody better in Europe at that, according to the metrics, than Berge. Are Pirlo and Modric and Scholes all better individual footballers than Berge? Absolutely. Would they do a batter job than Berge at winning possession back and recyling it? No.

That's very simple. And bvery basic football understanding. Horses for courses.

We used to win league titles with Darren Fletcher playing this role for us... Was Darren Fletcher better than Gerrard? Nope. Did he win a lot more than Gerrard? Yep.

Horses for courses. Football is not about getting the best eleven individuals into a team.

I can't believe I have to explain that to an adult.

The other fella saying we shouldn't be signing a player who's just been relegated. :lol: Can somebody rewind to 1994 and tell Notts Forest we're not interested in Roy Keane anymore?
Not sure what the purpose of taking a shot at someone on here (“explain that to an adult”) but anyway. You can use all the stats you like, I have watched him at Sheffield Utd and at Burnley (actually at Old Trafford last season where he didn’t retain the ball but actually lost it leading to Antony’s goal), I even watched him a bit at Brugge. I prefer to use the eye test rather than stats which can be misleading, especially when you look at how Burnley played last year. He is simply not good enough, you can use any metric you like but he is not top 4 quality in my opinion. If you do want to look at stats, might I suggest looking at Fofana’s for Monaco last season?

Good post. I remember when United were looking at bringing Carrick in and fans on this forum were losing their shit thinking he’s not good enough. I’m not saying Berge will go on to be a United great in midfield but I’m sure he’ll be better than what some on here think.

People just look at a player's age, the team he plays and teams he played for, look at team achievements, and just decide his level and potential ceiling by these "metrics", without even having seen them play or delved deeper into things to analyze the player.

This will be one of our worst signings ever. Not in terms of value because transfers like Antony and Maguire will never be beaten but he will be such an obvious failure here because he will look painfully out of place. This will end up like the Schneiderlin signing but at least he was really good for Soton, Berge has been average to poor in the PL since joining.

The positive (delusional) crowd will no doubt convince themselves he can add value but we all know how this will end, see Amrabat for example.

Better players have struggled to survive in EtH's midfield setup but somehow Championship player Berge will make a positive difference to us.

There's no such thing as a low risk signing. It's just another bit of nonsense fans tell themselves to pacify the realisation that we're wasting more time and money on someone we already know isn't good enough. Let's say we negotiate to £20m for Berge (unlikely) and £20m on his 4+1 contract = £40m outlay. That we then wont have to spend on someone who could actually make us better.

Most of the summer has been wasted trying to get rid of deadwood, most of the last 3 seasons have been wasted trying to get rid of deadwood. A lot of deadwood was once a 'low risk signing'.

I thought this was a joke when i saw it.

No way is he a utd player and no way is he worth 30million.
We should be looking at Ederson at Atalanta or Zubimendi not Sander feckin Berge

Ya all appear to have watched him a lot, so I'll pose the question I posted in the Zubimendi thread. Care to explain why they appear so similar and what makes Berge so terrible of a signing and Zubimendi that great of a signing?
So anyone here actually watched him play for Real Sociedad last year or is everyone losing their shit because:

1. He's Spanish
  2. Had a good 45mins playing for a dominant Spain team against an England team who where ultra defensive?

I haven't watched him play or Berge either but looking at the stats there doesn't appear to be an awful lot between them. So can anyone who watched Zubimendi play extensively explain how he is better and worth €60m and if any of the stats are misleading?

FBref Comparison(fbref actually suggested Berge as one of the players who is similar to Zubimendi so I didn't even have to go out of my way to compare them) : https://fbref.com/tiny/gPDre

Passing​

TotalShortMediumLongExpected
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sCmpAttCmp%TotDistPrgDistCmpAttCmp%CmpAttCmp%CmpAttCmp%AstxAGxAA-xAGKP1/3PPACrsPAPrgP
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.51321154285.722165626960767789.760767789.78612668.311.52.0-0.516136151152
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.41376156288.124429516856863789.265871192.512515481.222.41.6-0.429129161164

Pass Types​

Pass TypesCorner KicksOutcomes
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sAttLiveDeadFKTBSwCrsTICKInOutStrCmpOffBlocks
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.5154214736259447200001321713
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.415621529312171012100001376214

Goal and Shot Creation​

SCASCA TypesGCAGCA Types
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sSCASCA90PassLivePassDeadTOShFldDefGCAGCA90PassLivePassDeadTOShFldDef
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.5551.87470340140.14400000
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.4672.01630301080.24701000

Defensive Actions​

TacklesChallengesBlocks
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sTklTklWDef 3rdMid 3rdAtt 3rdTklAttTkl%LostBlocksShPassIntTkl+IntClrErr
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.5492718292234254.819339243786540
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.4764635365345858.6244920292399602

Possession​

TouchesTake-OnsCarriesReceiving
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sTouchesDef PenDef 3rdMid 3rdAtt 3rdAtt PenLiveAttSuccSucc%TkldTkld%CarriesTotDistPrgDistPrgC1/3CPAMisDisRecPrgR
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.51793913971144267321793181266.7527.894253052671344152616118527
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.41887133494997414411887412048.81639.0107664193091645792323123329

It will be like winning the lottery for him. He probably can't believe his own luck.

United do things in the market others can only dream of. Or whatever it was.

There are some convincing arguments in here that are making me quite receptive to signing him. Mainoo and Bruno are mavericks, having somebody unspectacular who is solid defensively, can also handle a press and has a physical presence sounds like a great option to have as a 6.

If you weren’t so hellbent on taking a defensive position you’d see that I wasn’t saying United should get any of these players. My point is a player with extensive PL experience is available in a position these teams need and none of them look to have even had a look at Berge. The season starts next week and he’s still a championship player.

Don’t ask me what I know about their players I have nothing to do with it. I want you to answer why you think their recruitment teams opted for those players over Berge.

Even Fulham seem to be chasing Mctominay. I have no clue if it’s for the DM position but they currently haven’t signed a Palhinha replacement.

Your last paragraph is where you let yourself down. You can check yourself and see a lot of those players weren’t just targeted by those sides. I mean Onana was pretty clearly linked with United and Arsenal this summer and that’s just one example.

So you're just forming your opinion by making assumptions about what clubs want and do, despite the public not even being aware of 99% of what's going on behind the scenes?

I don't want X player because no one else has been linked with them other than United.

And then you bring up an example where the other player was at best linked with 2 or 3 other clubs other than the one he ended up going to. So you think only 2-3 clubs in world football were interested in him?

Also, Onana was not reliably linked with United or Arsenal as far as I'm aware. Not sure who else was in for Wieffer and Gray as well other than Brighton and Spurs?

There are some convincing arguments in here that are making me quite receptive to signing him. Mainoo and Bruno are mavericks, having somebody unspectacular who is solid defensively, can also handle a press and has a physical presence sounds like a great option to have as a 6.
Wrong thread, because your describing Ugarte. This guy is closer to the one he's replacing, Mctominay.

Football really is a game of opinions eh :lol:

IMO It's a low risk signing. As I've said previously our biggest issue is no matter which midfield we played it was missing something - usually defensive awareness and mobility. He covers those and we don't need him to be flashy, just make the simple passes consistently.
For me he just doesn’t look good on the ball. A bit rough like Amrabat. I think we could and should do better.

I can assure you that when you increase the pool to players 26 or over who were relegated back to back seasons the list returns almost no one. Berge being linked with Liverpool in the past is of no relevance today.

Everybody gets linked with top clubs at some point. Ben Godfrey, Will Hughes, Sean Leandro Dendoncker, Wilfred Ndidi all have been linked with big clubs in the past but have no business being at one today and it’s no different with Berge.

Well, Wijnaldum was relegated then signed for Liverpool at the age of 26. Berge was linked with Liverpool for several years even up until last summer. Echo mentioned him only a few days ago as a suitable target for Liverpool, citing that Klopp has been a firm fan of Berge for years. The relevance being that, despite playing for a relegated side, top clubs/managers have seen something in him that makes him suitable for an ambitious top side. Our problem is that he would instantly be our second best midfielder on paper, when he's probably just a good rotation option at best (as his price suggests).

For what is worth, I'm not advocating us signing him (he has been a big letdown for Norway), I just understand why top clubs can find his profile interesting.

Last edited:
Robertson was 23 when he joined Liverpool. By 25 he was widely regarded as the best left back in the world.

Wijnaldum was 26, yes.

Shaqiri was relegated with Stoke as well, before joining Liverpool, at 26.

Drogba was in Ligue 2 at 24.

Roy Keane was relegated with Nottingham.

Johnsen joined United at 27 from Turkey.

Maguire is a good counter-argument as well, despite casuals generally not rating him at all. Relegated with Hull in 2017, only 1 year older than Robertson, then 2 years later in 2019 both United and City were seriously looking at him, because he was one of the best centre halves in the Premier League by that point.

And there are many, many more examples of late bloomers or great players who hadn't got the chance of getting the move to a big club by their mid-20s yet.

And Berge doesn't even need to become a world class player, he just needs to become someone who can raise the floor of the squad and help us until we sign an elite player to replace him with.
These terrible examples keep getting brought up.

Wijnaldum, Keane and Shaqiri were clearly established players, they just happened to be in relagated teams but didn't play a single second in the Championship. They were players who had proved they belong in the PL and made transfers to big clubs well in advance of the season starting. We're a week away from a new PL season and Berge is still in the Championship.

Robertson and Drogba were late bloomers. How is this comparable to Berge who has been in the PL since he was 21/22 and before that was a highly rated young player in Europe who had already played CL football.

You seem desperate to draw parallels where there aren't any. No poster has said you can't get good players from lower leagues, you clearly can but these are usually unestablished players looking for their shot in the big leagues not seasoned PL players who have yo-yo'd between the PL and Championship.

I don't know if you've noticed, but we've had new owners for around 8 months now, and to call what they've shown so far mediocrity might be the dumbest thing I've read today and that's impressive. Maybe if your attention span would extend to over 1-2 weeks, you wouldn't be crying about anything and everything on here, as well as shit and underrate every player we have and everything that's going on with the club currently.

I'm convinced a big chunk of users on here just use this forum as a platform to whine and let out their frustrations, without using their brain for a single second.

You should show more compassion to those of us not blessed with your gigantic attention span. :lol:

Ya all appear to have watched him a lot, so I'll pose the question I posted in the Zubimendi thread. Care to explain why they appear so similar and what makes Berge so terrible of a signing and Zubimendi that great of a signing?

I dont think Zubimendi would be a great signing. He's just the best of that type of player getting talked about and seemingly available. Ugarte is the best destroyer type available.

Neither would be amazing signings, far from it given the fees, but at least they would be an improvement on what we have. Unlike Berge.

Wrong thread, because your describing Ugarte. This guy is closer to the one he's replacing, Mctominay.
What he said applies to Berge too, again, judging by the stats. Not the tackling monster that Ugarte is, but solid defensively nonetheless.

Has anyone watched him for Burnley? Like I said his stats looks decent enough but I barely remember him playing against us.

There's no such thing as a low risk signing. It's just another bit of nonsense fans tell themselves to pacify the realisation that we're wasting more time and money on someone we already know isn't good enough. Let's say we negotiate to £20m for Berge (unlikely) and £20m on his 4+1 contract = £40m outlay. That we then wont have to spend on someone who could actually make us better.

Most of the summer has been wasted trying to get rid of deadwood, most of the last 3 seasons have been wasted trying to get rid of deadwood. A lot of deadwood was once a 'low risk signing'.
Nonsense. Risk is relative and you have to balance it. Our current deadwood, McTom aside:

1. AWB £50m
  2. Maguire £80m
  3. Lindelof £30m (2017, so probably about £50 in today's market)
  4. Antony £90m
  5. Casemiro £75m
  6. Sancho £75m
The none of these were low risk signings especially because of the fees involved. The greater the fee the greater the risk involved, especially because we bought all of them at their peak value. Their value was only ever going to go down from where we bought them. As of right now we will not recoup even haf the fee for any of these players and will have paid them 100s of millions for underperformance. Therefore the waste is easily £100s of millions.

A £20m signing is 100% a lower amount of risk. Because if they lose 50% of their value you have still only lost 10m + wages. It's also a lower risk in this scenario because we've a sample size of them in our own league - only two of the above came from our own league and of those two they both had very clear technical and/or physical deficiencies and commanded great fees.

As of right now our DM options are Casemiro whose legs have gone and Collyer who's not played a single minute. In fact Casemiro has spent more time being bad for us than good. This means we have to at least bring in something as close a known entity as possible who doesn't have as clear, large technical/physical flaws as the alternative signings would (Ugarte, Zubimendi, whoever). Each of those alternatives would cost both more wages and greater fee, or would be a greater risk in terms of age, profile or the league they come from.

Personally I would have gone for Onana - no idea why we haven't but I assume it was either him or Branthwaite. But after that, every other signing we could make poses a greater risk - and just Casemiro/Collyer going into the season poses the greatest risk.

I dont think Zubimendi would be a great signing. He's just the best of that type of player getting talked about and seemingly available. Ugarte is the best destroyer type available.

Neither would be amazing signings, far from it given the fees, but at least they would be an improvement on what we have. Unlike Berge.
Again, there doesn't appear to be an awful lot of difference between them both. Keep in mind that one played for a relegated team which means Berge managed similar stats while playing for a less dominant team. Why would he be an awful signing if he manages to improve on that by playing with better players around him? Even at his current level, I'd say he's an improvement on Casemiro(who is finished at this level) and McT(who isn't really a midfielder and not one to help us keep possession).

Has anyone watched him for Burnley? Like I said his stats looks decent enough but I barely remember him playing against us.
This is all you need to judge him really. He's been in the PL for a few seasons and at the very least everyone would have seen him up against us a couple of times a year and for others like me who watch our rivals games, we're talking a few times a season.

For the most part every player in the league is a decent enough player especially in CM, so sticking out is hard unless you are actually a really good player.

Players like Christian Norgaard, Jefferson Lerma and Cheick Doucoure are also good players with good stats. If you say why not to Berge, you'd be saying why not to most starting midfielders in the league.

I know this didn't answer your question though :lol:

30m for him is mental, I'm not that against him as a option, but for that price? Also it would be pretty uninspiring if he's the only person we bring in to fix our massively poor midfield.

Apparently he doesn't like the physical side of the game though

This is all you need to judge him really. He's been in the PL for a few seasons and at the very least everyone would have seen him up against us a couple of times a year and for others like me who watch our rivals games, we're talking a few times a season.

For the most part every player in the league is a decent enough player especially in CM, so sticking out is hard unless you are actually a really good player.

Players like Christian Norgaard, Jefferson Lerma and Cheick Doucoure are also good players with good stats. If you say why not to Berge, you'd be saying why not to most starting midfielders in the league.

I know this didn't answer your question though :lol:

Yeah it really didn't answer. Anyways I think any CM we sign is set up to fail in our suicidal tactical set up. Big time EtH works on that but then same issues was raised by Dutch pundits during his Ajax days and it's still the same.

He only played 17 mins in the 0-1 home game. Played 90 in the 1-1 at OT where they had more possession than us.

McTominay is genuinely in the conversation for the worst central midfielder in the Premier League at being an actual central midfielder. The only reason he is not in conversation for the worst midfielder overall is his attacking threat. We should completely keep him away from central midfield if he stays.
I can’t believe that I was on this board 5 years ago yelling about how he’s not close to a United standard midfielder and here we are in 2024 and I’m still having to say the same thing.

Frustrates me to no end

Not all decent squad players have to have fancy South American names and come from top European clubs for stupid transfer fees. I trust the approach we are taking, he's a good player and a player that will appreciate playing for Manchester United.

We need decent quality throughout the squad. He'd be a good option.

I bet after back to back seasons at relegation fodder...

That's part of the reason I don't think he's good enough

Of course he does, I bet he can't believe his fecking luck. Any Burnley fans here who can soothe our concerns about him being shite?

Not all decent squad players have to have fancy South American names and come from top European clubs for stupid transfer fees. I trust the approach we are taking, he's a good player and a player that will appreciate playing for Manchester United.

We need decent quality throughout the squad. He'd be a good option.

Sandero Berginhos not exotic enough for you?

So he's essentially a less 'exotic' version of Ugarte? I.e. a hard working DM who covers a lot of ground, gets stuck in but is otherwise pretty ordinary on the ball.

Considering the lack of enthusiasm there was for us signing Ugarte, his cheaper alternative shouldn't be anything to scoff at tbh.

Better than starting the season with an immobile Casemiro anyway.

Good post. I remember when United were looking at bringing Carrick in and fans on this forum were losing their shit thinking he’s not good enough. I’m not saying Berge will go on to be a United great in midfield but I’m sure he’ll be better than what some on here think.

Exactly. We had to defend him and it was like that for some seasons. Eventually everyone can agree how great Carrick was. One of my all time favourites.

I agree that Berge might never be anything like Carrick, but I find some of his qualities interesting. People might be surprised.

So is Sheth the only guy pushing this in the media? Same guy that went on a United supporter YT show and basically said he has concrete news that we might or might not be interested in selling Sancho to PSG.

Some fun comments on a Burnley forum I just looked at.

"Not good enough for someone trying to get top 4"

"Baffled they are trying to offload McTominay and replace him with Berge"

Also some think he is one of their best players along with O'Shea and Brownhill.

Also some think he is one of their best players along with O'Shea and Brownhill.

Maybe we should try and poach them too. We need as many deadwood “decent squad options” as we can get.

Haven't seen a comparison here but is he better than Amrabat?

No don't let me stop you. This guy is like a young Matic, with superb talent. When Matic was 26 he was winning the league with Chelsea but we'll gloss over that.
Fernandinho was playing for Shakthar Donetsk at 26. It doesn't define how good you are or how well you can gel with a new team.

I don't think Berge is good enough either, but a mobile DM is a thousand times better than the current Casemiro.

Maybe we should try and poach them too. We need as many deadwood “decent squad options” as we can get.

Well they were talking about replacing Berge with some lad from Plymouth for 7 million. I reckon we should just skip the queue and get him instead. 23 mill saved.

The current Casemiro is easily matched and can be surpassed by hardworking midfielder alone, if he is better than amrabat then we should sign him, squad depth is more important at this moment in time

I think it'd be very easy to imagine that McTominay is a lot better than he is as a fan of another club who probably only sees him pop up with a goal every few weeks on highlights.

I think it'd be very easy to imagine that McTominay is a lot better than he is as a fan of another club who probably only sees him pop up with a goal every few weeks on highlights.

Yeah oppo fans overrate him massively. You hear them say things like "McTominay and Mainoo is a good midfield to build around"

Status
Not open for further replies.