Music Sam Smith (Singer)

Yes, but the point was as a non-binary person, he couldn't be nominated in traditional male/female categories. Which is incorrect.
I am pretty sure me kinda mean the same thing and it simply got lost in translation since English is not my first language. I wanted to say that up until 2022 there had been some male/female categories. For those a non-binary person could not have been nominated.

People hating someone for obvious reasons - the way they dress and act like attention whore(how do you call non binary whore?), and caf turning it into non binary hate is classic redcafe.

While we are at it, I am not an expert on this, but the way Sam Smith described it themselves, they are not even classic definition of non binary.l.person.
"I was gay man, but I dressed like a woman, I used to think like a woman", doesn't sound like non binary to me. Reading some stories of non binary people, I don't think that's a definition of non binary. I would rather call him transgender, or a man who wants to change it's sex and become a woman. Maybe someone who understand theese terms better can explain it better?

People hating someone for obvious reasons - the way they dress and act like attention whore(how do you call non binary whore?), and caf turning it into non binary hate is classic redcafe.
How would you describe the deliberate mis-gendering of Sam Smith?

While we are at it, I am not an expert on this, but the way Sam Smith described it themselves, they are not even classic definition of non binary.l.person.
"I was gay man, but I dressed like a woman, I used to think like a woman", doesn't sound like non binary to me. Reading some stories of non binary people, I don't think that's a definition of non binary. I would rather call him transgender, or a man who wants to change it's sex and become a woman. Maybe someone who understand theese terms better can explain it better?
This isn't happening though, people have took the piss outta the outfit and used the correct pronouns and nobody has argued with them. It's the people who are still using the wrong pronouns for Sam Smith that have received backlash. And rightly so.

How would you describe the deliberate mis-gendering of Sam Smith?

This isn't happening though, people have took the piss outta the outfit and used the correct pronouns and nobody has argued with them. It's the people who are still using the wrong pronouns for Sam Smith that have received backlash. And rightly so.

Maybe people simply don't believe Sam Smith and think they just want attention?

Or maybe it's not always deliberate, for example I edited my last two posts about ten times writing "he" instead of they because up until today I thought Sam Smith is "he" and not "they" because I red few articles on them and never realised Sam Smith identify themselves as they, simply because I couldn't give a feck about Sam Smith except the weird attention seeking dressing, but that's not something that will make me memorise Sam Smith is they. It's not even important to me. Who the feck is Sam Smith?

Maybe people simply don't believe Sam Smith and think they just want attention?

Or maybe it's not always deliberate, for example I edited my last two posts about ten times writing "he" instead of they because up until today I thought Sam Smith is "he" and not "they" because I red few articles on them and never realised Sam Smith identify themselves as they, simply because I couldn't give a feck about Sam Smith except the weird attention seeking dressing, but that's not something that will make me memorise Sam Smith is they. It's not even important to me. Who the feck is Sam Smith?
Again, people have misgendered them by mistake in here and haven't been called up on it. It's the ones doing it constantly and seemingly deliberately that have been called out only.

And I agree with the bolded, it's not important to me either. But it obviously is to Sam Smith so it's really not hard to use the pronouns that they identify as. It's just common decency.

Because an artist like Sam Smith (and probably others) cannot be listed under a male or female category and therefore cannot win an award.

It’s a tricky one to balance. In an effort to include everyone, they’ve excluded a big group. It seems a bit bizarre to be championing a non binary representative yet a woman wasn’t even nominated.

Bjork & David Bowie were quite innovative with their music and image though.

I just don't see that same level of originality or authenticity with Sam Smith. What's innovative about his music?

But as others have said - he can wear what he wants, and we can say it's this and that etc.
Does anyone consider Sam Smith innovative with his music?

He looks like a right weapon in that outfit which is no different from how other artists good or bad have looked before - Gaga, Mercury, Bowie etc

It's a real shame we can't laugh at how ridiculous the outfit is without people getting bringing their gender into it.

Popstars are attention seeking knobheads regardless of whether they're he, she, or they. Piers Morgan could've just tweeted laughing at how attention seeking the outfit was, but nope, he had to mention Smith's preferred pronoun in the header as if there's a correlation between the two, when there's clearly not. That's why Piers Morgan is a dickhead.
Of course you can laugh at it! He looks absolutely ridiculous. The problem is with tits like Piers and others making it about gender, sexual orientation etc

Does anyone consider Sam Smith innovative with his music?

He looks like a right weapon in that outfit which is no different from how other artists good or bad have looked before - Gaga, Mercury, Bowie etc
That’s my point though - with singers like Bjork and Bowie it comes across authentic, and their music was boundary pushing as well.

With Smith it comes across as attention seeking. The music is awful as well - moany shouty dirge for people that feel sorry for themselves.

Last edited:
That’s my point though - with singers like Bjork and Bowie it comes across authentic, and their music was boundary pushing as well.

With Smith it comes across as attention seeking. The music is awful as well - moany shouty dirge for people that feel sorry for themselves.

it's all attention seeking, you're just being subjective about who you like or don't like.

it's all attention seeking, you're just being subjective about who you like or don't like.
Weren’t you throwing out accusations that anyone who doesn’t like Smith is because he’s fat and non-binary?

The idea that it’s just Bowie or Bjork who’ve worn stupid shit on a red carpet or music video is pretty ridiculous… it’s been a running theme of popular musicians for 50+ years.

All publicity is good publicity. Everyone’s talking about him.

emoji-apple.jpg

Weren’t you throwing out accusations that anyone who doesn’t like Smith is because he’s fat and non-binary?

If you feel like someone is accusing you of having an issue with Sam Smith being non-binary it might be because of the bit in bold.

i was saying they get more negative attention than others do because of those reasons yes. as evidenced by the likes of Piers taking the piss out of their gender identity for no reason. and the pages of people taking the piss earlier in this thread even.

it's the equivalent of homophobic 'bants' from the 80s. history won't look back kindly. the fact we've all lived through that kind of discriminatory language and here we are repeating it again as a society really doesn't speak well of our ability to learn from the past.

Again, people have misgendered them by mistake in here and haven't been called up on it. It's the ones doing it constantly and seemingly deliberately that have been called out only.

And I agree with the bolded, it's not important to me either. But it obviously is to Sam Smith so it's really not hard to use the pronouns that they identify as. It's just common decency.

Just to pick up on this point, and I appreciate this is a topic on which many just will not agree but anyway...

I do a bit of commentary for my local non-league team and one of our regular fans is transgender, formerly identified as male but decided to transition around 2/3 years ago and is well on the path.

I won't quote their name for privacy reasons but they changed a couple of letters to alter it from male sounding to female.

A couple of times on commentary they put something in the chat and I, without even realising it used the word 'he'.

Within seconds I had a message saying 'I don't go by he anymore'. Fair enough.

A couple of weeks later I made the same mistake again - by accident of course - and got the same message, that fast that I couldn't even complete my message I was going to send to acknowledge.

Now my issue is that this person is well in to their 40s and I've known them for years - virtually that whole time as a man - and to expect the whole world to just flick a switch and start changing is not as easy as you might think. Especially when you're having to think and talk quite fast because of the football.

So in answer to your point, lots of people that misgender by mistake ARE being called up on it, often in a really patronising way. I've experienced it personally and I think the respect thing needs to be more of a two way street.

i was saying they get more negative attention than others do because of those reasons yes. as evidenced by the likes of Piers taking the piss out of their gender identity for no reason. and the pages of people taking the piss earlier in this thread even.

it's the equivalent of homophobic 'bants' from the 80s. history won't look back kindly. the fact we've all lived through that kind of discriminatory language and here we are repeating it again as a society really doesn't speak well of our ability to learn from the past.
Piers Morgan is a twat and always has been - he courts controversy as it earns him money. Let's put what his thoughts are to one side.

If others (like myself) criticise Sam Smith for attention seeking - it's got nothing to do with their weight or their binary status. It's because their behaviour is attention seeking.

Accusing all / others of being fat-phobic and non-binary-phobic is nonsensical.

And by the by - have you ever ventured into the James Corden thread?

They were all attention seeking. To many this may seem “authentic” whatever that means when you’re dressed like a tit.

I reckon thread title should also have the they/them pronouns to really trigger some...

Just to pick up on this point, and I appreciate this is a topic on which many just will not agree but anyway...

I do a bit of commentary for my local non-league team and one of our regular fans is transgender, formerly identified as male but decided to transition around 2/3 years ago and is well on the path.

I won't quote their name for privacy reasons but they changed a couple of letters to alter it from male sounding to female.

A couple of times on commentary they put something in the chat and I, without even realising it used the word 'he'.

Within seconds I had a message saying 'I don't go by he anymore'. Fair enough.

A couple of weeks later I made the same mistake again - by accident of course - and got the same message, that fast that I couldn't even complete my message I was going to send to acknowledge.

Now my issue is that this person is well in to their 40s and I've known them for years - virtually that whole time as a man - and to expect the whole world to just flick a switch and start changing is not as easy as you might think. Especially when you're having to think and talk quite fast because of the football.

So in answer to your point, lots of people that misgender by mistake ARE being called up on it, often in a really patronising way. I've experienced it personally and I think the respect thing needs to be more of a two way street.

Being called up on it here obviously refers to people doing it on purpose, like you and a bunch of others have been doing in this thread.

By that fan you were being corrected, because you made a mistake, that is not the same thing, because you say it was a mistake. Even that is tough for you, apparently, but maybe the patronising attitude you perceive is because you haven't managed to successfully hide your views from her? You keep calling her a man, by mistake, and you do think that she is a man. Pronoun stuff makes you die inside, remember, that might shine through.

Bowie sought attention by playing with fascism and praising Hitler. The idea that Bowie's flamboyance is somehow more authentic/purer/nobler/more honest/better than that of whoever this person is, because Bowie had music to back it up or something, is mad.

Within the first few seconds there is a sample from John Waters film Pink Flamingos. I guessing Smith has some level of self awareness and isnt just doing it for attention

John Waters - “Beauty is looks you can never forget”.

Last edited: