Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney | Wrexham AFC Watch

That's one of the things I've never understood about this forum, how people can post totally insulting things about towns, cities, regions or whatever. Maybe I'm just not in on the the joke, in which case, my bad, but otherwise why would a person call a town a "shitheap" repeatedly? Unless (maybe) you're from there, in which case the self-deprecation element would perhaps make it less obnoxious. It's all well and good to dislike a town, but why the need to be so mouthy about it? Even if you feel the need to let everybody know how much you dislike it, surely there are less disrespectful ways to do it?
I don't think it's just this forum, when I lived in england I was also surprised by this, people making all sort of jokes about each other's towns. Jokes that in portugal people wouldn't take too kindly. There no one seemed to care.

Do they have a chance of staying up in league 1 this year?

The average position of promoted teams is 12th for past decade, so they should at least finish around there.

But they're a little stronger than most promoted teams and have made very good signings, so a playoff place is a realistic target.

Apparently they're in the market for a striker now so that should be the cherry on the cake.

They haven't loaned in any PL kids yet either so that could be interesting. They don't count towards squad size limit so it's a no brainer to sign one.

League 1 is stronger than last year but they should comfortably finish top half and be pushing for the play-offs. There's a few bigger clubs there in terms of budget but they'll have one of the highest in the division. The side that got promoted from the National League was a top League 2 side, last season they had a League 1 ready side so this isn't a big step up. They'll get to the Championship within 3 years at most and that's where the challenge comes because their money is no longer a difference at that level.

Wrexham has been a shitheap for years, and while they'll be able to regenerate a bit of it, I can't see much changing.

As I've said before, it's absolutely hilarious that the documentary has a load of Americans flying all the way over here to spend time in Wrexham. When they ask what there is to do in Wrexham other than attend a game, they are inevitably told to either head across Wales to Snowdonia or Anglesey, or up the road to Chester.
Do you live in Wrexham?

League 1 is stronger than last year but they should comfortably finish top half and be pushing for the play-offs. There's a few bigger clubs there in terms of budget but they'll have one of the highest in the division. The side that got promoted from the National League was a top League 2 side, last season they had a League 1 ready side so this isn't a big step up. They'll get to the Championship within 3 years at most and that's where the challenge comes because their money is no longer a difference at that level.

I think to they'll come somewhere between 5th and 10th.

Their recent signings have a good age profile so not being promoted isn't a big deal this year.

Championship is a huge step up.

I think lots of their fans would be happy to bounce between L1 and Championship like Rotherham, but their owners are very ambitious and are definitely aiming for the PL.

i think they have a very good chance of staying in League One...they've made some good signings this summer

i think they have a very good chance of staying in League One...they've made some good signings this summer

The money behind them guarantees they'll at least stay up. It's a question of how high up they end.

They beat my boys Wycombe yesterday, but as much down to shocking defending from us as brilliance from them.

The money behind them guarantees they'll at least stay up. It's a question of how high up they end.

They beat my boys Wycombe yesterday, but as much down to shocking defending from us as brilliance from them.
if they can stay in this league for the next couple of seasons, it will do financial wonders for that club.

I don't think they have any financial worries until their famous owners disappear.
those famous owners are crazy rich like most football owners so the higher the division and cash flow will only help offset the costs and budget they have

yes...for the two previous divisions, they had the finances to out spend teams but now i don't think that's the case anymore

They'll come top 10 I think.

those famous owners are crazy rich like most football owners so the higher the division and cash flow will only help offset the costs and budget they have

yes...for the two previous divisions, they had the finances to out spend teams but now i don't think that's the case anymore

It's not just about the owners, there's still the equivalant rules for financial fair play down there. You can have the richest owners in the world and not be allowed to spend it if you have no fan base or sponsorships unless you're willing to cook the books. I don't know what the intention ever was with Salford, but their tiny fanbase is why they were always going to find it difficult to continue progression.

For League One and League Two there's SCMP, for Championship it becomes PSR. SCMP focuses on wage to turnover ratio, 55% maximum in League Two, 60% in League One. Championship focuses more on total losses allowed, you can go lose upto £41.5m over a rolling 3 year period currently.

Right now I'd say they're in a good position vs many League One clubs. The 13,000 attendance they got yesterday will be one of the top 4 or 5 in the division if sustained over the season and they have big outside sponsorships due to the interest in them from the documentary/who the owners are, appearance fees from the summer tour and whatever they're getting paid for the documentary itself. They must be one of the clubs with the best financial position in their division, perhaps the best of all. It's only Birmingham or Bolton who could feasibly rival them for turnover I think due to their big crowds and Wrexham may well surpass those two due to the unique outside income they receive.

Who knows how long the buzz will keep up? TV audiences can be fickle, and people lose interest in things for no rhyme or reason sometimes. If they got stuck in League One for a while then that could hault momentum if people were to stop watching the documentary or if it got cancelled. If a club reaches the Championship then the owners can dig into their own pockets to much larger extent if they want, but then they're facing other clubs whose owners can do the same and run at a bigger loss if they want to as well. More of those clubs will have much larger stadiums and/or a bigger traditional core fanbase plus then you're facing clubs with parachute payments having been in the PL too.

Last edited:
It's not just about the owners, there's still the equivalant rules for financial fair play down there. You can have the richest owners in the world and not be allowed to spend it if you have no fan base or sponsorships unless you're willing to cook the books. I don't know what the intention ever was with Salford, but their tiny fanbase is why they were always going to find it difficult to continue progression.

For League One and League Two there's SCMP, for Championship it becomes PSR. SCMP focuses on wage to turnover ratio, 55% maximum in League Two, 60% in League One. Championship focuses more on total losses allowed, you can go lose upto £41.5m over a rolling 3 year period currently.

Right now I'd say they're in a good position vs many League One clubs. The 13,000 attendance they got yesterday will be one of the top 4 or 5 in the division if sustained over the season and they have big outside sponsorships due to the interest in them from the documentary/who the owners are, appearance fees from the summer tour and whatever they're getting paid for the documentary itself. They must be one of the clubs with the best financial position in their division, perhaps the best of all. It's only Birmingham or Bolton who could feasibly rival them for turnover I think due to their big crowds and Wrexham may well surpass those two due to the unique outside income they receive.

Who knows how long the buzz will keep up? TV audiences can be fickle, and people lose interest in things for no rhyme or reason sometimes. If they got stuck in League One for a while then that could hault momentum if people were to stop watching the documentary or if it got cancelled. If a club reaches the Championship then the owners can dig into their own pockets to much larger extent if they want, but then they're facing other clubs whose owners can do the same and run at a bigger loss if they want to as well. More of those clubs will have much larger stadiums and/or a bigger traditional core fanbase plus then you're facing clubs with parachute payments having been in the PL too.

I think they have a very devoted home fan base in Wrexham and the north Wales area but it's impossible to know how loyal the international fan base is.

It's difficult to get hooked on a sportsteam in adulthood.

What a start to the season they've had. They can't get promoted again surely.

They'll almost certainly make it to the playoffs I think.
Mullin is just back now also.

They defend very well so won't concede much so it's a question if they can score consistently.

Apparently they're looking to buy another striker.

The looked functional and strong against Posh, nothing special but tactically good. Think there are probably a couple of teams better than them at the moment but they have the pull to strengthen again in January.

Hard to bet against them being in the title fight.

The looked functional and strong against Posh, nothing special but tactically good. Think there are probably a couple of teams better than them at the moment but they have the pull to strengthen again in January.

Hard to bet against them being in the title fight.

They're very strong defensively.
They don't dominate possession but still create chances.
I think they'll almost certainly finish in a playoff place.
There's an assumption Birmingham will come top but no guarantees.
Wrexham have a very strong team spirit.

What a start to the campaign for them. Unbeaten in 5 with 4 wins and top of the table. Overachieving? Or are they actually that good?

What a start to the campaign for them. Unbeaten in 5 with 4 wins and top of the table. Overachieving? Or are they actually that good?
Probably this, they have the financial advantage too. If they go up to the championship it will be interesting how much they can strengthen against their competition.

They've been able to bring in players from the next level up but I don't think they're rich enough to bring in top level championship or Premier League level players.

Very settled side also with good team spirit.
Their starting lineup is actually the same as last year except for Dobson.

They've made 5 or 6 quality signings but not starting them yet.

Probably this, they have the financial advantage too. If they go up to the championship it will be interesting how much they can strengthen against their competition.

They've been able to bring in players from the next level up but I don't think they're rich enough to bring in top level championship or Premier League level players.
I’m sure they will have the pull giving the money they will have from playing in the Championship and the ownership money. They might even get more investors if they reach the Championship. Also that’s where loans can come in handy. They can get good quality youngsters from top premier league teams.

I’m sure they will have the pull giving the money they will have from playing in the Championship and the ownership money. They might even get more investors if they reach the Championship. Also that’s where loans can come in handy. They can get good quality youngsters from top premier league teams.
That's a possibility, I wouldn't mind giving them some promising players on loan if it gives them lots of minutes.

Pretty much guaranteed full house every other week as well. Shirt sales through the roof as well.

My gut feeling is when they get into the championship, Disney will find some money down the back of the sofa to push for promotion.

The PL carrot will be too tantalisingly close to ignore

My gut feeling is when they get into the championship, Disney will find some money down the back of the sofa to push for promotion.

The PL carrot will be too tantalisingly close to ignore
They'll need to sue a lot of people for that