Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney | Wrexham AFC Watch

I'm going to the friendly tomorrow against Fleetwood, me and 4 kids cost me £35, which isn't to be sniffed at.

Saw one of the players from the women's team got a bit of stick from Wrexham locals the other day. There was some red carpet interview where she said:

"Have you seen the amazing looking cars and the buildings and the people? It’s beautiful! It’s not like Wrexham. You know, I was walking down the street and there are these flowers, cactus. You wouldn’t see that in Wrexham because unfortunately it would get destroyed. Out here, there’s so much respect. And I’ve got a lot of respect for people who respect their country, you know?"

Never been to Wrexham and I don't imagine it's great but it's probably not a good idea to be critical of the place you're representing. Also obvious that they're in a bit of a bubble on the tour, lots of shitholes in the USA too. Understandable to a degree I suppose, getting to visit places and do things she mightn't have dreamed of at one point and getting a bit carried away with the experience. Add in no media training etc.

They don't appear to be very good, got beat 9-0 by a team that plays in the regional California league.

Wrexham has been a shitheap for years, and while they'll be able to regenerate a bit of it, I can't see much changing.

As I've said before, it's absolutely hilarious that the documentary has a load of Americans flying all the way over here to spend time in Wrexham. When they ask what there is to do in Wrexham other than attend a game, they are inevitably told to either head across Wales to Snowdonia or Anglesey, or up the road to Chester.

Are you from Wrexham or nearby?

I'd imagine they're contemplating buying the student apartments. £11m is obviously a lot for a L1 club but isn't for a PL club or a big Championship club, particularly since it's an investment which increases revenue.
Not sure the Uni would sell them, solid investment and they’ve sold other land in last few years so don’t think they’re desperate for cash. I also think a lot of Unis want to own/control the accommodation as reassuring to students.

£11m was cost to Uni several years ago.. imagine it’d be quite a bit higher now.

Club and Uni have a decent relationship and think they’re both happy doing their own thing and getting on as neighbours.

Be interesting to see how they take this next step up as bigger jump than last season. Might go watch a couple.

Not sure the Uni would sell them, solid investment and they’ve sold other land in last few years so don’t think they’re desperate for cash. I also think a lot of Unis want to own/control the accommodation as reassuring to students.

£11m was cost to Uni several years ago.. imagine it’d be quite a bit higher now.

Club and Uni have a decent relationship and think they’re both happy doing their own thing and getting on as neighbours.

Be interesting to see how they take this next step up as bigger jump than last season. Might go watch a couple.

Everyone has a price. It's a few years away anyway before that happens.

They've to build the Kop and training ground first.

They've made a few good singing with more to come so I think they'll fine.
The average position of promoted teams is 12th but I think they'll get top 10 at least.

Do you think Phil feckin Parkinson can feckin stop feckin swearing this feckin season or is he going to feckin swear his way to the premier feckin league?

I moved here 18 months ago, and can fully agree with her. The villages around the town are really nice, but the centre is skaghead central.

Wrexham has been a shitheap for years, and while they'll be able to regenerate a bit of it, I can't see much changing.

As I've said before, it's absolutely hilarious that the documentary has a load of Americans flying all the way over here to spend time in Wrexham. When they ask what there is to do in Wrexham other than attend a game, they are inevitably told to either head across Wales to Snowdonia or Anglesey, or up the road to Chester.

Doesn't surprise me at all, plenty of crap towns all around the UK. Ex-mining places aren't exactly known to be flourishing in particular of course although the tendancy is to focus on the valleys in the South when it comes to Wales. There's that stretch of coast up near Hartlepool/Sunderland in England that's notorious.

True or not it's not the best thing to say from the locals point of view I suppose even if many secretly agree. Similar to when fans acknowledge a player is cnut but he's our cnut so we'll defend him. It's a shithole of a town but it's ours.

Closest I can remember to that was Di Maria's wife being critical of Manchester and that caused a lot of angry posts on here, or the time years ago when Barnsley were briefly in Premier League and they had Georgi Hristov, a Macedonian striker who made headlines because he wasn't impressed with the local women.

That second one was funny - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/45298.stm

Wrexham would still be quite quaint and pretty to Americans or Canadians.

North American towns of similar sizes would be very boring with no history. Just strip malls and suburbs with no real town center.

Wrexham would still be quite quaint and pretty to Americans or Canadians.

North American towns of similar sizes would be very boring with no history. Just strip malls and suburbs with no real town center.

There's not much quaint or pretty about Wrexham.

I went to pick up the tickets before and there was a coach load of yanks there, they’re all staying in Chester.

That's one of the things I've never understood about this forum, how people can post totally insulting things about towns, cities, regions or whatever. Maybe I'm just not in on the the joke, in which case, my bad, but otherwise why would a person call a town a "shitheap" repeatedly? Unless (maybe) you're from there, in which case the self-deprecation element would perhaps make it less obnoxious. It's all well and good to dislike a town, but why the need to be so mouthy about it? Even if you feel the need to let everybody know how much you dislike it, surely there are less disrespectful ways to do it?

That's one of the things I've never understood about this forum, how people can post totally insulting things about towns, cities, regions or whatever. Maybe I'm just not in on the the joke, in which case, my bad, but otherwise why would a person call a town a "shitheap" repeatedly? Unless (maybe) you're from there, in which case the self-deprecation element would perhaps make it less obnoxious. It's all well and good to dislike a town, but why the need to be so mouthy about it? Even if you feel the need to let everybody know how much you dislike it, surely there are less disrespectful ways to do it?

You're being a bit precious.

We're not allowed to insult each other anymore and all that vitriol has to go somewhere.

Maybe it's a British thing, there have always been places that people refer to as "shitholes" or "dumps". I don't think anyone from those places ever cares (I'm from a city that lots of people hate and it's certainly never bothered me).

That's not in Wrexham. It doesn't even get past Ruabon.
it is , its in Acrefair.. theres a football pitch underneath it. Had one of my finest performances there .. Great memories of the place.

Im from N Wales, 10 miles out from Wrexham, Went to uni there.. the town centre is a shit hole, but there are like 32 boroughs or something in wrexham and some of them are lovely tbh. i guarantee though most of these Americans who'll come over will spend more time in Chester.

it is , its in Acrefair.. theres a football pitch underneath it. Had one of my finest performances there .. Great memories of the place.

Im from N Wales, 10 miles out from Wrexham, Went to uni there.. the town centre is a shit hole, but there are like 32 boroughs or something in wrexham and some of them are lovely tbh. i guarantee though most of these Americans who'll come over will spend more time in Chester.

I'm also from north Wales.

When I say "Wrexham" I'm talking specifically about the town itself, not the borough county.

Ruabon is technically Wrexham if you do that.

I actually got to know some parts of Northern Wales. Snowdonia was a must and I explored it with the right people. Also spent sometime in Llandudno and I really enjoyed it. Rhos on Sea and Colwyn Bay were dire though.

£180 for a season "pass" including all 46 league matches. Have they done this before?

£180 for a season "pass" including all 46 league matches. Have they done this before?

Is it iFollow? Been going a few years for all the EFL clubs, started when covid came in I believe.

As far as I knew they binned it off this season for UK viewers due to the expanded number of matches Sky will be showing. Still available for overseas viewers with the exception of Championship games selected for international broadcast.

Can pay for audio commentary instead in the UK, £45 a season but I suppose there might be a way to view matches with VPN. Loads are set to be on Sky anyway, every team with 20 matches apparently either via a main channel or red button on Sky Sports+.

Last edited:
A very good one going by the signings they've made so far. They'll need to replace the manager soon enough though.
Interesting. Do you watch the lower leagues? And I am not sure they will replace him unless they get relegated based on what he has done for them? Of rather let’s says he keep them up this year and has a terrible performance to start year 2 then they will think about it.

Interesting. Do you watch the lower leagues? And I am not sure they will replace him unless they get relegated based on what he has done for them? Of rather let’s says he keep them up this year and has a terrible performance to start year 2 then they will think about it.
On and off. He's done well for them, yeah, but eventually head has to overrule heart if they want to improve.

On and off. He's done well for them, yeah, but eventually head has to overrule heart if they want to improve.
Gotcha. If they have made good signings any chance of them going up this year based on the competition? Or is that too fairy tale like?