Ruud van Nistelrooy has joined United's coaching staff

I’d imagine he’d replace Mccarthy as an attacking coach. Be surprised if he takes that though considering he could become manager at other clubs. On the other hand though he could see it as a potential chance at becoming our manager one day.
I hope we aren’t using that as a carrot unless we mean it. I imagine that being something the old regime might’ve done.

Love it. A big figure in club’s history and one of my favorite players at the time, plus exactly the thing INEOS should be doing to help ETH improve performances (surrounding him with competent assistants). Obviously he’ll be after a first team job at one point or another but his insight could be very valuable even if it’s for just 1-2 years.

"Hey, do you want to leave your project as manager and work behind the scenes at our trainwreck? You could probably do a better job than our current guy, but hey."

I hope we aren’t using that as a carrot unless we mean it. I imagine that being something the old regime might’ve done.
No I'm just saying that’s what could be going through his mind when deciding his next job.

He was insane. I’d also have RVP up there as one of the best finishers and he’s another I’d have on our coaching team

RVP was fantastic but in terms of finishing he was nowhere near to RVN. RVN's shots were like frigging guided missiles. No wonder why Andy Cole packed his bags the moment we signed the Dutch man. He was that good.

Would be great for us, but we already have two assistant managers, right? What would be the draw for him? Might stay here for a few months until he gets a tasty managerial offer, so in that sense, good for both parties.
What we have currently really doesn't matter, we have to get better. Even if it's for a season, Ruud will impact new ideas into the coaching team and help Ten Haag in the attacking phase. His PSV team played great football too so it would be very beneficial. He may well choose to take the Burnley job but I think he'd fancy working at United over that l, even if it's short term. Would help Hojlund, Rashy and the other forward players immensely.

Not sure about this one if it's an INEOS-forced thing.

If he's just being parachuted in, there's a chance both himself and Ten Hag will see him as our possible/probable future manager and it's easy to imagine an unproductive relationship with Ten Hag distrusting Ruud and Ruud having very little incentive to help much at the first sign of things going sideways again.

Maybe feels like it would potentially be a bit of a Van Gaal/Giggs situation, but worse.

There were rumours INEOS want their own appointment on the coaching staff, so to speak. I wouldn't say no to him, but I don't see why he would say yes? He could just be a manager instead, unless he wants a more relaxed role.
He's a young, inexperienced coach and former player, why wouldn't he say yes? If he helps implement an actual style of play which is successful, his credentials only go up. If it doesn't work out after a year, it's nothing lost for either of us and we can part ways amicably.

Good news for us. Bit of a step down for him though considering he was the manager of psv? Unless MVDG is leaving and we don’t know about it.
I suspect it’s more Benni McCarthys role. I think I read that he was out of contract this summer and hadn’t been offered a new deal

Ticks all the boxes when you think about it.

Breaks the “reported” language barrier between ETH and the players understanding his philosophy. He’s shown at PSV that’s he’s a good coach so it gives him a nice pathway into the premier league and English football with less risk than if he was to take over at Burnley. If you look at Enzo Maresca’s pathway he assisted Pep before taking a managerial role and it survived him well.

Also for the pessimistic he’s a perfect interim should the season need reviving in November.

Hope this happens, his experience for our young forwards would be invaluable.

Maybe be a more prudent road to future opportunities than scraping it out at Burnley?

Also, sub him on in the last 5 minutes and camp him in the oppo box.

I suspect it’s more Benni McCarthys role. I think I read that he was out of contract this summer and hadn’t been offered a new deal
If he’s our new striker coach then I’m all for it. Just seems mad when he’s apparently being offered roles as head coach somewhere else.

I get the ‘pathway to manager’ thing, but has anyone ever gone from striker coach to manager?

Benni was the striker coach. Abit simplistic to think a former PSV manager is coming in to be a striker coach. He will have an important role.

I have a hot take.

Ruud was a better forward than Haaland.

Haaland is faster, stronger, more physical, but has serious deficiencies in his technical ability, build up play, and even with all his physical abilities he still has problems playing with his back to goal.

Ruud was known for his goals but was an excellent technician too, his dribbling was fantastic, his passing up to scratch and could also hold up the ball incredibly well.
That’s not a hot take. Haaland is a goal machine but one dimensional

Ruud gets in my “my lifetime” all time XI.

I have a hot take.

Haaland is faster, stronger, more physical, but has serious deficiencies in his technical ability, build up play, and even with all his physical abilities he still has problems playing with his back to goal.

Ruud was known for his goals but was an excellent technician too, his dribbling was fantastic, his passing up to scratch and could also hold up the ball incredibly well.

Miles better at every thing.

Plus he wasn't a fecking boring robot.

Ruud would score 50+ goals a season in that City team.

No outcry about him being Dutch and from Eredivisie? Caf disappoints.

Seriously though, why would he want to come here to work under someone else when he already has a job as a head coach and is being linked with other jobs as a head coach. I don't see this happening.

Edit : I thought he was still manager of PSV. Looks like he's not.
He’s not

He’s not
Yeah, I checked after I posted and looks like he left last year. Still the overall point stands, I don't see why he's going to come in as a coach when he's in the running for head coach positions and has already worked as one. It doesn't make sense from his perspective.

He'll be an insurance policy for INEOS if they want to part with ETH during the season Ruud would likely be made interim, with all the good will in the bag.

Yeah, I checked after I posted and looks like he left last year. Still the overall point stands, I don't see why he's going to come in as a coach when he's in the running for head coach positions and has already worked as one. It doesn't make sense from his perspective.
Why? There’s loads that have done both. Mcclaren for example. But it will be Ruuds choice at the end of the day

RvN has, by chose, decided to be assistant for several years. Being head coach is not for everyone. Quit PSV after a year.

Get him in as an assistant. Ready made replacement for ten hag. Promote from within.

exciting

Just to see him wearing the badge again would be brilliant. He could be just what Erik needs at this moment.

I have a hot take.

That’s not a hot take. It’s just reality. Haaland needs to come on a hell of a long way to become a better footballer than Ruud.

Far too good as a manager to be an assistant now unless it is part of the succession planning after Ten Hag.

Ruud was, the second best finisher I've ever seen. The best was another Dutch man ie Van Basten.

The rest (Inzaghi, Vieri, Haaland, Batistuta, Shearer etc) were very close but still inferior to the man.
Personally, I always thought that in pure finishing Ole was even better. Ruud was obviously better at positioning himself to get on the end of chances and in most other aspects of being a striker (especially being a lone #9) so would score quite a lot more, but if I had to pick one of them to be on the end of a chance to save my life, I'd go for Ole.

Why? There’s loads that have done both. Mcclaren for example. But it will be Ruuds choice at the end of the day
Was that at the start of his managerial career ? Ruud is only getting started with his managerial career. Depends on his ambitions I guess.